Adware/spyware

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Danell1975
Platinum Wonderlander

Adware/spyware

Post by Danell1975 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:46 pm

Just exactly how important is adware/spyware?? I have an antivirus program but no adware/spyware. Should I? I just did a free "Spyware begone"scan and it said it found 60 things on my computer. I don't know what to trust or not trust. I guess the whole reason that I am bringing this up is because of the Service Pack 2 and because I had new memory installed on my computer. We had a wind storm here over the weekend and do to a 2 second power outage, it fried my memory. I had the computer repaired, and they installed 512 MB/RAM, I previously had 256. Anywho, I have lost control of my mouse. I go to click on something, and the next thing I know my mouse is on the start button or up in the right hand corner, closing my window. I also have that stupid Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger popping up. It took me over an hour this morning to open my control panel. I kept getting Dr. Watson has to close do to an error. I was like who the heck is Dr. Watson and what is he doing on my computer. I went to the Microsoft website and just scanned over it, didn't really read a whole lot, but it is I assume supposed to be there. I am so annoyed. I take back everything I said about the SP2 in the other thread that I think POPO started. I have decided that I hate it and short of uninstalling it, which after attempting to do so it made me feel like I was killing my first born, I decided I better keep it on here. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?? Should I get some spyware and adware and get my computer cleaned up that way, or will it not make a difference in what my mouse is doing. I just know that I am going bonkers. I hope all of this makes sence. I am rambeling on and on and not really sure of everything I have even said. Anywho, just wanted to vent. Sorry. Thanks for listening. Danell

Got rid of the large blue font because apparently it was causing a disturbance. That wasn't my intention. My appologizies. :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Danell1975 on Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Re: Adware/spyware

Post by LinkyNStoof » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:14 pm

Danell1975 wrote:Any suggestions??
Yes, please go make yourself a cup of coffee/tea now and calm down.

You're completely overreacting and are not diagnosing your computer problems in a rational manner. Most likely your problems has nothing to do with SP2, so uninstalling it wouldn't help (nor do I think there's a way for you to uninstall Windows Update updates anyway).

Dr Watson is just Window's crash reporting tool. (It's not a "who"!) Its frequent coming up is merely a symptom of something wrong.

Have you try plugging in another mouse and see if that helps? Maybe it wouldn't help, but at least it's good to check whether a simple fix exists.

It's possible that the computer repair is not thorough, or that the new memory installed is faulty. Are they sure the only thing affected on your computer due to the storm was the memory? What if you take out the additional memory they install? etc. You might want to talk to the computer repair technician again and see what they have to say about it.

Sorry to hear your problems and best of luck getting it fixed promptly.
Danell1975
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Danell1975 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:44 pm

O.K., sorry I guess when you read typed words, you don't hear the tone involved in them. And you don't know me personally so you wouldn't be able to hear the sarcasim in my tone. Next time I put something in here, I will try and remember to put in ()'s "DRIPPING WITH SARCASIM" I know that Dr. Watson isn't a "who", I just worded it that way. I also know that Dr. Watson has something to do with the SP2, I am just not sure as to what. As for the mouse, tried that, didn't work. I have read or heard somewhere the adware/spyware/and or viruses can cause problems with your mouse, which was why I asked the questions I did. I feel that the diagnostics that they did on my computer were sufficient and they did tell me that I could possibly have problems, there was no guarentee. They were going to notify my insurance and let them know what they did and that they couldn't guarentee that changing the memory card would be enough. That said, I am sorry that you took my wording wrong. Most of what I said was, "DRIPPING WITH SARCASIM" :twisted: I have to find humor in things I say and do, or I would have a nervous breakdown and go crazy. :D :D :D :D
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:05 pm

Sorry, but your typing in blue, large font and general rambling gave more an impression of "I am having a nervous breakdown and going crazy" then "dripping with sarcasm". :roll: :wink:

Besides, something accurate needed to be said about SP2. Someone misreading your message and decide not to install SP2 might well be putting himself/herself at risk down the line by leaving security vulnerabilities in Windows unfixed. :!:
ol'gramma
Rainbow Star

Post by ol'gramma » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:02 am

O.K., sorry I guess when you read typed words, you don't hear the tone involved in them
Words mean things, especially in big blue letters....If you use the correct ones, and state your question precisely, everyone will understand your problem without filling in a tone.

I don't know what kind of a reply you expected, but if your problems had been stated in order, and rationally, they would have been easier to understand.
The suggestions LNS gave were excellent startiing points. Instead of being grateful that he took the time to give them, you had to attack. :shock:
Why don't you start with his suggestions?
I have had no problems with SP2.
ol'gramma
Carolyn
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:22 am

There's no need to have a go at Danell, I can completely understand how she felt. I go off in the same manner when something happens to my pc that I don't understand.

Seeing as it was me that started the SP2 thing I should say I have has no trouble with it since I installed it. I bought Norton Antivirus 2005 at the same time because there was no longer any support for the 2002 version I had, and I had read that there had been problems with the 2003 version and SP2. The 2005 version not only looks for viruses but also for adware and spyware. The first scan showed that I had an adware program that I was totally unaware of. I removed it manually.

I had toyed with the idea of getting a spyware scan but didn't know which ones to trust, some spyware scanners actually put spyware on your pc. Now I don't need to as it is all in NA2005.

I had been having the same problem with my mouse for nearly a year. I would be using it and suddenly it would go scooting off on it's own. It would only go left or right though, like a tele-printer, and when it got to the edge of the screen it would bounce about a bit and then stop. I had it looked at and was told it was probably the driver that needed updating, but as it is a very old mouse I couldn't find a new driver for it.

I am still using the same mouse and I haven't (touch wood) had any problems since removing the adware, so maybe it was that.

If you're going to get an adware and spyware detection program make sure it is from a reputable software company that you trust. Those ones that come in your email and start to scan your pc without being asked are a no-no, they are the ones that will probably give you infections not take them away. Or think about upgrading your anti virus program to one that does everything like I did.

My son had been having problems with his laptop, the programs would keep shutting down for no reason. This went on for a few months until one day it shut down completely and wouldn't restart. After having it looked at the manufacturers said it was an incompatible memory card that was causing the problem and put in a new one. He's had no problems since. Perhaps that what's wrong in your case, especially if you weren't having trouble before. The only way to find out is let someone in the know carry out extensive tests to see if the problem can be found.

I hate it when something goes wrong that I don't know how to fix. I feel so useless. I hope you get it sorted out soon and this has helped a little. :D

EDIT - Check out this link - it came with my Download Dispatch newsletter. It's all about things taking over your computer. Should help you sleep better tonight. :shock:

http://news.yahoo.com/techtuesday/
Pauline
Danell1975
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Danell1975 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:23 pm

Thanks Popo,

Clicked on the link and am doing an ad-aware scan right now. They have a free version of ad-aware on the site and it is from Lava Soft, which I read on the Microsoft website is what they recommend. I don't know what you all think of PC-Cillian, but that is what I have for my antivirus program, I was told from a friend that I catches Trojans and Worms, where Norton didn't. I don't feel that is the case anymore, since I was told this about three years ago. I really like my PC-Cillian and have not had any problems with viruses, it just does not get adware/spyware. Sooooo.......that is all for now.

I will say this much though, my ad-aware scan is up to 217, I just hope with the free version, that you have the option of deleting.
Cat
Rainbow Star

adware

Post by Cat » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:13 pm

Spybot search and destroy is better than adware! I use to use adware but prefer spybot!
Cat

Member of FOWL, Ms.Tweety Bird, Queen of Beautiful
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:14 pm

Just to put you straight on Norton 2005, it scans for trojans, worms, spyware, adware, everything. It even scans zip files before you open them. It automatically updates at least once a week so you've always got the latest definitions, and you can do a live update manually whenever you want. I know it sounds like I'm advertising but it is a good program and I would recommend it to anyone. :D
Pauline
Ramonda
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Ramonda » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:39 pm

Danell1975 wrote:Thanks Popo,

Clicked on the link and am doing an ad-aware scan right now. They have a free version of ad-aware on the site and it is from Lava Soft, which I read on the Microsoft website is what they recommend. I don't know what you all think of PC-Cillian, but that is what I have for my antivirus program, I was told from a friend that I catches Trojans and Worms, where Norton didn't. I don't feel that is the case anymore, since I was told this about three years ago. I really like my PC-Cillian and have not had any problems with viruses, it just does not get adware/spyware. Sooooo.......that is all for now.

I will say this much though, my Ad-aware scan is up to 217, I just hope with the free version, that you have the option of deleting.
By now you will find that ad-aware does clean the spyware. I use both ad-aware and spybot when I am cleaning somebody's computer for the first time. Then I prefer Spybot Search and Destroy for weekly or monthly maintenance.

It's worth cleaning out the spyware even if it doesn't solve the mouse problem. Let us know if the mouse is working.

Is the mouse a ball mouse or an optical mouse? Your description of the lack of control sounds like a ball mouse that needs cleaning. Sometimes optical mice do that if the surface they are reflecting off need cleaning. And if it is a cordless mouse they act that way when the battery is weak.
Danell1975
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Danell1975 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:08 pm

O.K. I was in the middle of posting my reply when my automatic install told me I need to reboot, so I had to start all over. I will check into some of the things you all have told me. Thanks a bunch. I can't purchase anything right now, as I don't have extra funding, so that will have to wait, I just want to make sure I get someting worth getting.

As for my mouse, it is fine for now. I do have an optical mouse, and until yesterday never had any problems with it. So far so good for today. It is still only the middle of the day though. As for the mouse pad, I do use one under the mouse, because the graining in my desk was causing the mouse not to work properly. At least that is what I think the problem was. It is a made from scratch oldie but a goodie desk. My husbands grandfather built it, so it has deep wood grain in it and I noticed that the mouse just didn't work right, so I put a pad under it. I guess it could be dirty too, five kids messing around the desk will do that. LOL

Anywho, I will check into spybot. I have heard of that one before too.

Thanks again.
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: adware

Post by janetgalle » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:31 pm

Cat wrote:Spybot search and destroy is better than adware! I use to use adware but prefer spybot!
I use Spybot S&D too. Works great! (And it's free)

jg
Danell1975
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Danell1975 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:33 pm

I went and checked out spybot s&d and it is great. I am so glad that it is free. I like that they just accept donations. I will have to give them SOMETHING. Pretty cool. Wonder what other freebies there are out there?
Cat
Rainbow Star

Post by Cat » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:26 am

Dustbuster is free and is very good. I use it often.
Cat

Member of FOWL, Ms.Tweety Bird, Queen of Beautiful
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:26 pm

CNN today has an article about spyware removers, it isn't totally encouraging though, but anyhow:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/1 ... index.html
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:22 am

:shock: Wow. I just read the article. It's a bit daunting if rebooting is the only way to really get rid of it. It gets rid of all the things you've done since buying the computer too. I know, I had to reboot my son's laptop, he lost half his course work for college and has to do it again. :roll:
Pauline
ann3120
Rainbow Star

Post by ann3120 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:36 pm

My husband had some major problems a few months back, and had to have his computer re-configured several times. We got tired of paying some-one else to do what he thought he should be able to learn how to do. He bought a 2nd hard drive and backs everything up onto that, and if bad bugs get in, he wipes everything off and re-loads it again from his back-up drive. Course, you got to do those back-ups on a regular basis.

Don't have the same system on mine yet - he keeps promising, but you know how that goes :( :( Anyway, I'm too busy "playing" so there's no time for him to get to it :oops: :D :oops: :D
Mrs. Annie Purple Hat