consolidating

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

bern
Silver Wonderlander

consolidating

Post by bern » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:50 am

I have recently played quite a few games on my laptop while on a trip. I would like to consolidate all those results onto my desktop computer with my other results there. Is there a way to do this? The .pla file looks like it doesn't want to be pasted to by a text editor.
mette
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by mette » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:09 pm

You don't need the text editor. Just locate your .pla file(s) on your laptop computer and copy the file(s) to the equivalent location on your desktop computer. And that should do the trick.

Mette
\Mette
bern
Silver Wonderlander

Post by bern » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:00 pm

[quote="mette"]You don't need the text editor. Just locate your .pla file(s) on your laptop computer and copy the file(s) to the equivalent location on your desktop computer. And that should do the trick.

Mette[/quote]

But that would overwrite the existing .pla file on my desktop. Let's say I have played Mette's games 1,2,3,5,7 on the desktop, and Mette's games 4,6,8,9 on the laptop. If I just copy the .pla file from the laptop to the desktop, all the data from games 1,2,3,5,7 will be lost.
mette
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by mette » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:09 pm

bern wrote:But that would overwrite the existing .pla file on my desktop. Let's say I have played Mette's games 1,2,3,5,7 on the desktop, and Mette's games 4,6,8,9 on the laptop. If I just copy the .pla file from the laptop to the desktop, all the data from games 1,2,3,5,7 will be lost.
Hmmm.....I see your problem. My solution would be to rename one of the files so you have for instnace bern.pla and bern2.pla . Then you won't exactly loose anything, but you won't have it in the same file either. Not perfect, I know, but it's all I can come up with. Sorry :cry:

Mette
\Mette
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:18 pm

Copy/paste with hex editor might be helpful, but do a backup of both player-files... better yet, of the whole game. :roll:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
uneekrose
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by uneekrose » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:02 pm

You won't be able to consolidate your .pla file. What you should have done was to have moved a copy of it to your laptop to begin with. I placed my original wonderland game on my hubby's laptop since we were going out of town for a bit and I copied my player file also so I would have what the points and such for what I had already accomplished, then when we got home I just placed the player file on a USB and transfered it back to my PC replacing the one there, that way I had everything up to date without having to replay everything.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:58 pm

uneekrose, wrong, if you have some expeirence (did I spell that right?) with hex editor you can do nearly everything.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:30 pm

Bern - there's no easy to way to consolidate those two files. Each file contains level information for both standard and custom levels, with scores, times, etc. Picking and choosing the bits of each file would be difficult to do, even with a Hex editor.

My suggestion - keep both files, renamed, on one computer, e.g. Bern1 and Bern2. At least that way you can see if you've completed a particular custom level with either player file... but only keep playing with one of them.

EDIT: I just see that I simply repeated Mette's suggestion. Sorry. :)
Last edited by Midnight Synergy on Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uneekrose
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by uneekrose » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:28 pm

sorry, I have no experience with hex editor, but I do know what it is and have no desire to really know how to use it, I do have experience with computers tho and with moving files from one to another, I was just trying to help.
Lillie
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Lillie » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:38 pm

You offered good and sound advice Rosebud :D Don't be offended :D

Bern - how many levels did you complete on the laptop? Loads? I would advice you to maybe replay them when you have time if it wasn't too many - then they will all be together again. Sorry - it sounds like it is either that or do what Patrick said and refer to both files!

Take care :D
Lillie The Beanhead! Image
"Lillie Still A London Phillie Dancing Like A Billie Goatee Wee Wee Lillie"
bern
Silver Wonderlander

Post by bern » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:38 pm

[quote="Midnight Synergy"]Bern - there's no easy to way to consolidate those two files. [/quote]

Well, I guess that's definitive. I'll just develop some schizophrenia and become bern and bern1.