OH NO!!!! Wonderland withdrawal!

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

OH NO!!!! Wonderland withdrawal!

Post by Dianna » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:42 pm

Oh, this is terrible! I'm having a computer problem that is interfering with playing Wonderland. The problems happened when we upgraded to XP and started having all sorts of quirky things happen. These problems did not interfere with playing Wonderland, however. Then we discovered it was the bios, and we needed a chip upgrade. Well, we got the new chip and installed it, and the problems seemed to go away. Except now we have a new problem -- things will be OK for a minute or so, and then the sound goes out and a buzzing starts and the computer freezes. AND THIS IS HAPPENING WITH WONDERLAND!!!

Just had to share my distress with people who would understand. I've been visiting the forum every day and downloading all the new levels, but I can't play them. I'm so sad. Sure hope this problem gets solved soon. My son, the network engineer, is trying to discover what's up. Geez, it seems like it's always something with computers. :cry:
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:49 pm

Dianna,
I hope you get it solved soon. :( We'll miss you on the boards.

You might have a conflict with your sound card. I had something similar happen to me and replacing the sound card worked. I'm not an expert, but I thought you might like to check that out. Hope to see you back in full roar soon.
SharonM
Ramonda
Rainbow Seeker

Re: OH NO!!!! Wonderland withdrawal!

Post by Ramonda » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:15 pm

Dianna wrote:Oh, this is terrible! I'm having a computer problem that is interfering with playing Wonderland. The problems happened when we upgraded to XP and started having all sorts of quirky things happen. These problems did not interfere with playing Wonderland, however. Then we discovered it was the bios, and we needed a chip upgrade. Well, we got the new chip and installed it, and the problems seemed to go away. Except now we have a new problem -- things will be OK for a minute or so, and then the sound goes out and a buzzing starts and the computer freezes. AND THIS IS HAPPENING WITH WONDERLAND!!!

Just had to share my distress with people who would understand. I've been visiting the forum every day and downloading all the new levels, but I can't play them. I'm so sad. Sure hope this problem gets solved soon. My son, the network engineer, is trying to discover what's up. Geez, it seems like it's always something with computers. :cry:
Dianna, you could try playing without sound being on. Sound is seldom needed to win a game. I never have the sound on because I like listening to my music. I would at least try it as a possible solution if indeed you've got a sound card conflict. Just a temp idea so you can play while your son solves the main problem :)
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:28 pm

Oh my gosh! That IS terrible! :shock: I like playing with the sound on because I love the sound effects! But I'd rather play with the sound off than not at all. Tell your son you need this problem resolved before Feb. 5th when competition entries are posted. VERY IMPORTANT!!!! :D
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:24 pm

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, all. As you can imagine, I've been doing quite a lot of complaining about the computer situation. (Whatever the problem is, it has caused the computer to freeze three times just while trying to reply to these messages.)

My son has promised to work on this again, just as soon as he gets back from the beach -- geez, the priorities of these kids! He is well aware that it better be fixed soon because of the competition. He's probably tired of hearing that I feel like the cobbler's mom who has no shoes...

I sure hope the sound card hasn't gone bad. Just got a new Audigy card and surround sound speakers less than a year ago. By the way, when you say play without the sound, do you mean to disable the sound card? (As you can probably tell, I don't know much about these machines.)
timothy2
Silver Wonderlander

Post by timothy2 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:46 pm

Feel really sorry for you! It's terrible, computer problems like these! You shouldn't worry about your sound card, though. Unlikely it's suddenly gone bad. Probably Windows XP is not able to recognize it. If you're not a computer expert, don't go mess with it yourself, as things will only get worse. Better wait till your son gets home. Sure it's gonna be OK!
Ramonda
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Ramonda » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:45 am

Dianna wrote:Thanks for the helpful suggestions, all. As you can imagine, I've been doing quite a lot of complaining about the computer situation. (Whatever the problem is, it has caused the computer to freeze three times just while trying to reply to these messages.)

My son has promised to work on this again, just as soon as he gets back from the beach -- geez, the priorities of these kids! He is well aware that it better be fixed soon because of the competition. He's probably tired of hearing that I feel like the cobbler's mom who has no shoes...

I sure hope the sound card hasn't gone bad. Just got a new Audigy card and surround sound speakers less than a year ago. By the way, when you say play without the sound, do you mean to disable the sound card? (As you can probably tell, I don't know much about these machines.)
No, you need not mess with the sound card to play without sound. Once wonderland is up and you are at the main menu, there is an options. Going there you can see where the choice is to disable music. The sounds of the game are still heard but there is less of a demand on the sound card if the music is not playing.

But if you are freezing up just being on the computer, it doesn't look like that problem is anywhere near the sound card. Let us know what it finally was ;)
timothy2
Silver Wonderlander

Post by timothy2 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:29 am

Ramonda wrote: But if you are freezing up just being on the computer, it doesn't look like that problem is anywhere near the sound card.
This is definitely true. Your sound card might be part of the problem, but not the cause. The cause might be even at the BIOS level. I don't know, I would have to inspect your computer. I'm sorry I can't help you from here! Don't do anything yourself, as this seems to be a problem that can't be solved by an average computer user. You'll need an expert. And he'll solve it, don't worry!
SharonM
Rainbow Star

Post by SharonM » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:36 am

I agree. I wouldn't try to do anything myself unless I knew what I was doing. I just mentioned the sound card because the problems you described sounded like something I had gone through earlier. I thought it might help your son or whoever you got to fix it locate it quicker. If you were having problems responding to the post and kept locking up, it definately needs looking into by an expert. Hope you can get fixed quickly.
SharonM
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:00 am

If you're having trouble even when not playing Wonderland, then something's definitely misconfigured in your computer. You should emphasize to your son that it is not just with Wonderland, and that the problem is making the whole computer nearly unusable.

Hope it gets fixed soon!
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:49 pm

Oh, wanting to play those contest entries is absolutely killing me! But it won't be long now. After trying many possible software solutions, turns out I have a hardware problem -- need a new video card. Right now I have an old video card in the computer, and the problem is gone. However, this is not helpful for playing Wonderland. Computer is running now, no longer buzzing, freezing, crashing under one circumstance or another, but when I try to play Wonderland it is a bit jerky, plus I can't see the gates. Oh, I can tell where the gates are because the little dots are visible, but can't see what color they are. Makes it rather tough to play, since I can't tell if the gates are open or closed and don't know what button to step on to open a gate. Yes, it would be possible to play, but it's so frustrating that I'm going to just wait until new card is installed.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that I haven't fallen into a crater somewhere and disappeared from the Wonderland universe. I've looked at all the contest entries, and tried to play a few. Wow, what a bunch of great looking levels!
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:57 am

Thanks for the update - I think we were all getting a little worried about you! (And, yes, I WAS wondering if you'd fallen into a crater.) Well, look at it this way: You always appreciate what you have a lot more when suddenly you don't have it anymore - You will be in HEAVEN when your new video card is installed! Please tell me you'll have it in time to play contest levels & comment before the results are posted!!