WA MOFI Official Game Guide Poll - Text or Video

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Official WAMOFI Solutions: Video or Text/Pictures

Video
57%
Text/Pictures
43%

Total votes: 54
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

WA MOFI Official Game Guide Poll - Text or Video

Post by Midnight Synergy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:38 pm

Here are two questions for you, regarding the format of the official solution.

1. (in the Poll) Would you rather see solutions in the text/picture form of the original series, or the videos of the first WA?

2. Screenshots: are people ok with folks posting screenshots in the forum as part of their answers to other people's requests for help. These can't be "spoilerized", and hence the danger is that you might see something that you didn't want to see if you just browse the topic. Of course, a picture sometimes is worth a thousand words.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Video! Video!
Last edited by Sammy_P on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Loirae
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Loirae » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:46 pm

Solutions:
I prefer text so I can print it out. However, there are a few cases where video would be more helpful if it is too complicated to describe in writing.

Screenshots:
On the topic list, any topic with a paperclip next to it indicates there is an attachment. In help topics, it's almost always an image. People who want to avoid visual spoilers would just have to remember before clicking on that topic. I'd say never make the image one of the first 2 or 3 posts so that those who don't want to see have the ability to scroll down carefully.
Loirae
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:57 pm

I say videos, if only because it would be easier to understand in some cases (and it kinda gives me an excuxe for making a 100% walkthrough on YouTube) :lol:
Erwin042
Rainbow Star

Post by Erwin042 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:22 pm

If so many people want videos of the levels, I'll wait for those.
But I don't think it would be easy. So it would be easier if the solution makers stick to paper and screenshots. Like I did for the WA solutions.

There are so many very difficult levels. I don't think you can make a video in one piece (so without saving the game while recording)
And it still has to be within the uploading limits (like 100 Mb on Youtube)

Midnight Synergy wrote: Of course, a picture sometimes is worth a thousand words.
It's easier to put a screenshot, maybe edited than describing it.

Again...

I'll wait for those videos next year!!

Oh! People want more video?
But if they will make video solutions themselves? That's another story!!
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:26 pm

I want both! Mostly because I'm not english, and to read or try to explain can be hard for me to do it in a way that people can understand.

Video solution doesn't have to include the entire level, only that part wich is making trouble. Then text/screenshot can complete the solution?
Inger
Norway
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:27 pm

Definitely videos. They are very easy to understand. :D
mette
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by mette » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:37 pm

I haven't voted because it depends on the adventure. In many ways it's easier to make a video, but for me it would be a nightmare since my laptop is very old. On the other hand screenshots+text takes forever to make. So for me it depends on the adventure (for instance an action sequence is perhaps best on video while a puzzle might be best at screenshots+text)
Loirae wrote:Screenshots:
On the topic list, any topic with a paperclip next to it indicates there is an attachment. In help topics, it's almost always an image. People who want to avoid visual spoilers would just have to remember before clicking on that topic. I'd say never make the image one of the first 2 or 3 posts so that those who don't want to see have the ability to scroll down carefully.
I don't mind screenshots being posted and I think Loirae's idea is a good one.

Best,
Mette
\Mette
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:47 am

I voted for text/pictures but both would be good. Video is good for showing you intricate moves, but you have to remember it then before you do it yourself. Whereas a written solution with pictures is easier to use while you're doing the level.

I have no objection to screenshots in posts, if you don't want to look at it you can scroll past it. A way round this would be to open a new board just for screenshots, and then post a link to that screenshot in your post. That way, you don't have to look at the screenshot unless you want to. Is that possible at all? E.g. You would post your solution as usual in the help thread, then post your pictures on the screenshots board, copy and paste the link from that into your post in the help thread.
Pauline
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:30 am

popo wrote:I have no objection to screenshots in posts, if you don't want to look at it you can scroll past it. A way round this would be to open a new board just for screenshots, and then post a link to that screenshot in your post.
I think that's a good idea (if some people don't want screenshots in the post itself) But it's not necessary to make a special board for that. Just make a new topic in the general subforum with the title: "Warning! Spoiler pictures"

And about the official solutions question; what's the purpose of official solutions at all? There are some people here doing a great job answering questions and helping people when they are stuck. I think after a few weeks or months all solutions are written here on the forum, so why do a lot work recording video's or writing solutions again? So the only thing to do is make a list with all levels, with the links to the topics with the solutions. :D
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:22 pm

Topics with bits of solutions in them isn't the same as a complete solution all in one place, with pictures. A proper solution you could print off and have at the side of you while you do the level, whereas the threads with hints and stuff are a bit hit and miss and haphazard, you have to read through all sorts to get to the bits you want.

I'm all for making some solutions. I was doing very well up until pirate camp and hadn't missed a single coin or gem. I don't mind sitting here for hours doing them if there was somewhere to post them as PDF or doc files.
Pauline
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:20 pm

I see. Well, I'm not that far in the game, but I guess when you're stuck with a level and post a question on the forum, there's always someone, maybe the one who made the level, one of the game-testers, or someone else who has played the level before, who gives you the answer.

I agree, it's easier when you get a full walktrough, but when I play or have played a level, I like to read to topic, and see that other people had the same questions as I had. It gives a sort of feeling of doing things together :D

And after all, it shouldn't be too easy though? 8)
paidi21
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by paidi21 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:27 pm

I also have not voted:
for some levels a written solution without any screenshots is ok (i.e. "acid falls"),
some levels require text + screenshots with remarks (i.e. "time your blinker")
and the others require text + screenshots and some short videeo sequences (i. e. "don't leave me behind").

For sure, a video would be great as everybody can follow without the need to read written text but i assume for all the level this will become a huge amount of data. I assume there are still some users which only have a modem for the internet connection. How many hours would it take to download the video solutions?
Nevertheless an advantage for an written text is that you can print it out.

A walkthrough to the solution topics up to now is i think a good indicator
what is needed for each level.

Regard Alex
wonderland01
Rainbow Master

Post by wonderland01 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:46 pm

Honestly, I can't memorize video solutions, so I perfer text because I can print it out.
dylan1298
Rainbow Wizard

Post by dylan1298 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:30 pm

Solutions:
I prefer text so I can print it out. However, there are a few cases where video would be more helpful if it is too complicated to describe in writing.

Screenshots:
D's MOM
LISA
sewel5
Rainbow Keeper

Post by sewel5 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:58 am

If a picture is worth a thousand words, a moving picture may be worth a million words.
I'll get a toontown membership if I can make bread.
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Hmmm...hard to decide. I like videos, but text / pictures can also be of a great help, espescially for those who want to UNDERSTAND how to solve a level, for e.g. the timings, why certain buttons must not be pressed and so on. I would prefer a mixture.
jozsefkoma
Rainbow Star

Video

Post by jozsefkoma » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:39 pm

:) Official WA MOFI Solutions: Video!:) Video!:) Video!:)
:) I like video solutions :D :)
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
duncan
Rainbow Seeker

Post by duncan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:02 pm

^ was spam, sorry. dont post so many smiles
Don't judge a person by his look,but his heart
Anytime, Anyplace, Adventure Always Awaits!
Last edited by Loof on 1/1/19999999999999999 BC; edited 98998 in total.
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:16 pm

Duncan, I don't think that smileys are spam 8)
Inger
Norway
bround
Rainbow Master

Post by bround » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:31 pm

viddddddddeooo!
Avid TTR player and TTS developer, a new revolutionary server in works.
nhelene
Silver Wonderlander

Post by nhelene » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:25 am

Definitely video seems to be easier to create. But I am one of those who still have modem (512K) and videos really take forever to play on youtube (dailymotion as well). Sometimes I shout at my puter as if it could do something to make it go faster.

So that's the reason why screenshots and text is good for me, but without video I wouldn't have made a few levels as don't leave me behind for example.

And moreover, I can't go back to the game when I go to discussion forum. Its closes. For that reason I can't pass from the game to the video and reverse.

Sorry for my spelling, english is not my natural language and now its late and I'm tired.
Hélène
Martinique FWI
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Helene, if you minimize your game, by hitting the windows-key, then start IE and WF from there, you can easely switch between game and video.
And you english is just as good as mine :lol: :lol:
Inger
Norway
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:54 pm

I'm going to close this discussion, as the solutions are now online... I did go for a video solution choice (just as for WA1). The wonderful wonderland solutions (on mette's site) are a mix of text/pictures/video, so be sure to check in there as well.