THIS IS A NEW SERVER - PLEASE READ!

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

THIS IS A NEW SERVER - PLEASE READ!

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Given a number of issues that the old server hardware was experiencing (including massive slowdowns for the forum), I have recently upgraded the server hardware to a more powerful system. Hopefully, this will allow you to chat, browse, download levels, etc, without any further hiccups.

However, due to an issue with the service hired to migrate the forum from the old to the new system, there has been a delay between the backup and the restore of the forum. As a result, several days of posts have been lost - I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience, and hope that the spiffy new server will make up for it. :)

As the domain name server change propagates through the internet, you might - for the next few hours - find yourself on the old server (with the old posts) on occasion. These hiccups will disappear, and everyone should be over to the new server by the end of the week at the very (very!) latest.

I will update more, later.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:10 pm

:D YOUCHOLDRIO YOUCHAI! :D

Champagne and fireworks. The forum is really very fast now.

Nevermind about those missing posts, we'll write new ones 8) :D
Erwin042
Rainbow Star

Post by Erwin042 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:06 am

Marinus wrote::D YOUCHOLDRIO YOUCHAI! :D

Champagne and fireworks. The forum is really very fast now.

Nevermind about those missing posts, we'll write new ones 8) :D
Don't cheer so quickly!
I saw in Solutions for WA and MOFI lots of posts are gone now.
if people want to read more from saturday till today, they have to wait. Isn't that it, Patrick?

@Patrick

Can you fix those double triple posts and more too?
Oh we don't need to panic so hard cos it will be fixed at the end of the week

OMG some threads have losts a page or more now!

OMG but it will be fixed :D

OMG I'm still awake!! :oops:
Last edited by Erwin042 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:11 am

I think Patrick has enough to worry about yet, before everything works perfectly again.

Those double and triple post were just because the forum was too slow. Then people pressed the "submit" button again..... and again....
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:37 am

Exactly - this new server should (hopefully) make things run smoothly. As for the missed posts - I do apologize Erwin, but they aren't coming back.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:54 am

Thanks to something tyteen said over Skype, I can't help but wonder if it costed anything.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:41 am

For those who were involved in active projects or given help to someone -- I can't help you but remind you of the second "Old Server" topic... which told you to make backups of posts you deem important. I did that with mah spoiler for Simple 018 and I'm glad I did. Those who didn't... you can't say you weren't warned, because you were.

Migrations from server to server almost never go without problems, and this one was actually a lot less painful compared to most others.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:45 am

Muzozavr wrote:the second "Old Server" topic... which told you to make backups of posts you deem important.
I read that and I backup'ed the post on my new RTW level and now it's called "Re-posted old server level - It's that way" cuz I couldn't help but tell everyone that it was originally posted on the old server. :lol:
dlcs18
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:51 am

I don't remember anything that said to make backups, but then, a lot of the time I was having to login and all the posts were showing as read so I may have missed it completely. :roll:

One question. Are those of us on the new server and those who are still on the old server both seeing the same site? Meaning if we both posts things, will be all be able to see them? :?
Pauline
Erwin042
Rainbow Star

Post by Erwin042 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:Exactly - this new server should (hopefully) make things run smoothly. As for the missed posts - I do apologize Erwin, but they aren't coming back.
new members can start over and the merlins are having fun helping them :shock:

I'm stuck so here I go .................. again..................
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:42 pm

popo wrote:One question. Are those of us on the new server and those who are still on the old server both seeing the same site? Meaning if we both posts things, will be all be able to see them? :?
I didn't see this question first. I don't think so. What we are posting here, the people on the old server can't see until they are also here on the new server. What the people on the old server are posting now, we probably never see. I got a notificationmail for a PM, but no PM (in the meantime I know who it was btw.) for the person was on the old server while I was on the new one. I also got a notificationmail for "Crab columns" (probably Raven has problems again :lol: ) but there was no new post.

I still don't understand how it's possible that some of us see the old server and some the new one, but apparantly it is. :)
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:45 pm

Marinus wrote:
I still don't understand how it's possible that some of us see the old server and some the new one, but apparantly it is. :)
Google "DNS propagation" for a longer answer. In a nutshell, your computer needs a way to know where to find eg. www.pcpuzzle.com. It uses lookup tables from your local internet provider to do this. If the physical location of a server (such as this one) changes, the change slowly gets passed on from node to node on the internet. That's why it's not instantaneous - some computers out there still think www.pcpuzzle.com "lives" at the old location because their tables have not been updated yet.

You are also right - those on the old server will not see the posts on the new server. Those on the new server have no real way of getting back to the old server (which will be deleted in a few days).
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks! That's quite clear :D
mette
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by mette » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:04 pm

I have now migrated to the new server :lol: So far things are running smoothly and fast.

Thank you so much for doing this Patrick :stinkyhappy:
\Mette
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:28 pm

I am on the new server as well and have noticed something new!

When you read a topic with a post in it then click the back button, usually it would still remain like their is a new post in the topic. Now, it doesn't do that which is a great help if their is a forum with posts in different topics! :D
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:59 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:
Marinus wrote:
Google "DNS propagation" for a longer answer. In a nutshell, your computer needs a way to know where to find eg. www.pcpuzzle.com. It uses lookup tables from your local internet provider to do this. If the physical location of a server (such as this one) changes, the change slowly gets passed on from node to node on the internet. That's why it's not instantaneous - some computers out there still think www.pcpuzzle.com "lives" at the old location because their tables have not been updated yet.

You are also right - those on the old server will not see the posts on the new server. Those on the new server have no real way of getting back to the old server (which will be deleted in a few days).
Wouldn't it be possible to give out the physical address of the site then instead of 'the name', then maybe everyone could get on the new one before the tables get updated. As of last night I know Norway was still on the old server, so Salin can't get on here. It could be months before her ISP updates the tables. :lol:

EDIT.
Nevermind, I see she got on here last night. :lol:
Pauline
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:40 am

Yeah, I'm finally in :lol: :lol:
Inger
Norway
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:44 am

:D Welcome back Inger. :D Are you the last one or were there still other people over there? 8)
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:49 am

How should I know? :lol:
Inger
Norway
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:54 am

Well maybe at the bottom of the main forum where it says:

Code: Select all

In total there are 13 users online :: 4 Registered, 1 Hidden and 8 Guests   [ Administrator ]   [ Moderator ]
Most users ever online was 129 on Tue 11-04-2006 20:48
Registered Users: Alfie63, Marinus, Salin, Tiley
So maybe you saw there: In total there is 1 user online :lol:
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Well, at least I was still on the old server until today :roll:

Glad to be here too, finally! :D
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:11 pm

Then...are all the registered users on the new server yet?
paidi21
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by paidi21 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:43 am

ok, new server is now onlone. Maybe i'm a member of a few users who cannot login dayly to the forum so i don't know what i have totally lost.

Patrick,
what is your stategy for the future in respect to the new server. Will you now do backup's / images of the forum data in a special sequence, maybe every day, every 2nd day or whatever.

What has happend with the old server can for sure happen every time with the new server. Waht is your strategy regarding backup's?

Regards Alex
paidi21
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by paidi21 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:01 am

Patrick,

still get double posts when i'm posting in the discussion board. Something wrong with my account?

Regards Alex
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:43 am

Alex, can it be that when you post a messages, and it seems nothing happens for a while, that you click on the "submit" button again, because you think it didn't do nothing the first time?

For I think that's the reason for those identical doubleposts, especially when a forum is slow.
uneekrose
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by uneekrose » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:49 pm

Well I know it's probably been said before, but if you do end up double posting if you go back in, you have the option to delete that extra post but only if you get to it before anyone else posts after you.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:01 pm

On most of the forum areas, MS has made it so you can't delete your post aeven if no-one has posted after you.
dlcs18
uneekrose
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by uneekrose » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:30 pm

OH OK

I didn't know that. I've only had the double posting problem happen to me a few times. Once it was 5 times but thankfully I caught it and was able to delete 4 of them. :)
paidi21
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by paidi21 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:35 pm

I'm 100% sure that i have not clicked the submit button twice. Let's see waht wil happen with further posts of me...

Regards Alex
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:47 pm

As far as I know those identical double posts didn't happen to me, so maybe it depends on the mouse button. Let's see what happens if I click on "submit" using the double-click button of my mouse, just as a test.

Edit: Still no double post. Well then I've no idea. :?