Usergroups?

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: jdl, ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Emerald141, Qloof234

Post Reply
User avatar
jozsefkoma
Rainbow Star
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:45 pm

Usergroups?

Post by jozsefkoma » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:13 am

What is an usergroup?
And why don't exist any usergroup?
Attachments
usergroups.JPG
usergroups.JPG (38.59 KiB) Viewed 4772 times
Image
Image
User avatar
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4356
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 am
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Post by tyteen4a03 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:39 am

A usergroup is simple - a group with different users.

There are currently 3 visible usergroups in this forum: Admins, Moderators and Users. MS belongs to the Admin usergroup, the others are all in the Users usergroup.

There are currently 5 major groups on 3.studIo. Blast!10, Qloof234 and I belong to the Admin usergroup, no one in the Super Moderators usergroup, Evina, flowerpowera, jdl and Emerald141 in the Moderators usergroup, ~xpr'd~ in the Graphics designer usergroup, and the others - yeah, the users usergroup.

There are, of course, hidden usergroups in this forum and in 3.studIo forums which I will not talk about publicly.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Tyteen, of course what you say about your own forum I believe should be true, but I don't think it's the same with this forum.

As far as I know this forum is running an older version of software (Php 2, instead of the newer version 3 if I'm right) In version 2 an administrator or moderator is not necessary member of a group. Patrick can just make a member admin or mod if he should want to do so. Of course it is possible that there are hidden groups in this forum, but not likely. (unless you may be member of such hidden group, or know people who are)

I think Patrick doesn't want difference between the forummembers, no different clubs, and therefore there are no groups at all. Just an administrator and members.
Image
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:52 pm

Marinus wrote:Tyteen, of course what you say about your own forum I believe should be true, but I don't think it's the same with this forum.
The topic never said it was about this forum. :wink: It is about usergroups. Technically this should be in off-topic forum because it is not about Wonderland. :)
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:58 pm

billy bob wrote:The topic never said it was about this forum.
The topictitle doesn't say indeed. But....:

- Jozef is talking about this forum because he uploaded a picture of this forum.
- Tyteen is talking about this forum (and well, also about another forum)
- I was talking about this forum.

Since we all are talking about the Wonderland forum, this topic fits perfectly in the General Wonderland Discussion. 8)
Image
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:37 pm

Marinus wrote:- Jozef is talking about this forum because he uploaded a picture of this forum.
- Tyteen is talking about this forum (and well, also about another forum)
- I was talking about this forum.
You talked about this forum after Tyteen4a03 talked about 3.studIo. So if a user that did not create the topic can change the topic (and if they can't then neither can you), then it was even between talking about 3.studIo and this forum and this forum. And because someone didn't talk about another forum doesn't mean that you can't. Tyteen4a03 did talk about this forum and 3.studIo, so that doesn't mean half dedicated to this forum and half dedicated to 3.studIo, it means fully dedicated to both forums. Jozsefkoma was talking about this forum but he or she never said that it was only about this forum.
Marinus wrote:Since we all are talking about the Wonderland forum, this topic fits perfectly in the General Wonderland Discussion.
No, you do know that 3.studIo is around half about Wonderland? When I was talking about this topic being in the General Wonderland Discussion and shouldn't be that was different from the rest of my post (and sorry, I should have clarified that). General Wonderland Discussion is a place to discuss Wonderland. This topic is not about Wonderland this topic is about the forum. So it should be in the off-topic forum.
User avatar
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser
Posts: 5512
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Post by Nobody » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:40 pm

billy bob wrote:And because someone didn't talk about another forum doesn't mean that you can't.
And because no one talked about cute puppies in the WA3 topic doesn't mean they couldn't.
i should change my signature to not be rude to pcpuzzle
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Nobody wrote:
billy bob wrote:And because someone didn't talk about another forum doesn't mean that you can't.
And because no one talked about cute puppies in the WA3 topic doesn't mean they couldn't.
That's because cute puppies has nothing got to do with the WA3 topic, when talking about usergroups from another forum is on-topic with a topic about usergroups.
User avatar
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser
Posts: 5512
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Post by Nobody » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:47 pm

But someone still could, just as easily as talking about usergroups from another forum here IS ALSO OFF-TOPIC.
i should change my signature to not be rude to pcpuzzle
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Nobody wrote:But someone still could, just as easily as talking about usergroups from another forum here IS ALSO OFF-TOPIC.
This topic never said that it was about this forum only. Therefor, it is not off-topic.
User avatar
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser
Posts: 5512
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Post by Nobody » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:53 pm

But... it... sort of was. IF you make a topic asking for help in a level, it could be another level of the same name from a different game, but it isn't.
i should change my signature to not be rude to pcpuzzle
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:01 pm

Nobody wrote:But... it... sort of was. IF you make a topic asking for help in a level, it could be another level of the same name from a different game, but it isn't.
The topic title says usergroups. Therefor, it can be usergroups from any forum. If you asked for help for a Wonderland level and a level from a different game, then the two should be in different posts and different forums (the call for help for Wonderland would be in either Level Solutions - Classic Trilogy or Level Solutions - Wonderland Adventures and the call for help for a different game would be in Off-Topic Discussions), and they would have topic titles about themselves of course.
User avatar
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser
Posts: 5512
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Post by Nobody » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:04 pm

*facepalm*

*stratigetic opening of windows at key points billy bob might bisit*
i should change my signature to not be rude to pcpuzzle
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:18 pm

Billy Bob, I think you're talking pretty Off-Topic. The title says "usergroups" but you are only talking about topics which has nothing to do with usergroups. Also it has nothing to do with Wonderland. It may have something to do with this forum but also with a different forum, and even with a topic you are talking about on a birthday party. So I suggest you make a new topic about it in the Off-Topic section. If you can't think of a good title; I have one for you:

Here a TOPIC, there a TOPIC, everywhere a TOPIC TOPIC! :lol:
Image
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:05 pm

Marinus wrote:Billy Bob, I think you're talking pretty Off-Topic. The title says "usergroups" but you are only talking about topics which has nothing to do with usergroups. Also it has nothing to do with Wonderland. It may have something to do with this forum but also with a different forum, and even with a topic you are talking about on a birthday party. So I suggest you make a new topic about it in the Off-Topic section. If you can't think of a good title; I have one for you:

Here a TOPIC, there a TOPIC, everywhere a TOPIC TOPIC! :lol:
I was off-topic because I was having a, sort of, argument with you. Well, it wasn't really an argument. I was never talking about different topics except WA3 update thread which Nobody used as a example for his or her logic.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:27 pm

Anyhow, I gave you my opinion:

I agree with you, the title doesn't make sure it's about Wonderland; the text and attachment in the first post however definitely do:

"And why don't exist any usergroup?" in the WONDERLAND forum.

- If you want to talk about it more; please make a new topic in the off-topics's

- If you want this topic to be moved to the off-topic's; please send Patrick a PM.

Good night. :D
Image
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:41 pm

Marinus wrote:Anyhow, I gave you my opinion:

I agree with you, the title doesn't make sure it's about Wonderland; the text and attachment in the first post however definitely do:

"And why don't exist any usergroup?" in the WONDERLAND forum.

- If you want to talk about it more; please make a new topic in the off-topics's

- If you want this topic to be moved to the off-topic's; please send Patrick a PM.

Good night.
Yes, I really should be asleep now too. I saw this topic more of a discussion not just a question and answer topic.

(Marinus, you just had your 3300th post! And this is my 1700th post!)
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:06 am

BB wrote:I saw this topic more of a discussion not just a question and answer topic.
I think it can be both, and also it doesn't matter at all.

- Someone asked the questions: "What is a usergroup and why don't usergroups exist on the Wonderland forum?"

- Someone else can give the answers; the first one like Tyteen did, and the second one: "Because Patrick didn't make/want them"

- We all can have a discussion about why we think Patrick didn't do that.

- Probably only Patrick can give the correct answer. :)
Image
User avatar
mqdar
Rainbow Star
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:46 pm

Post by mqdar » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:42 pm

OMG BILLY BOB WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO ARGUE

There are hidden usergroups in this forum. The MOFI designers and testers are in them. :wink:
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:04 pm

Marinus wrote:
BB wrote:I saw this topic more of a discussion not just a question and answer topic.
I think it can be both, and also it doesn't matter at all.
The reason why I think it matters is because if it were just a question and answer then the question is about this forum, therefore the entire topic is only about usergroups in this forum. But if it is a discussion, then because this topic never said it was only usergroups from this forum and the title says that it is about usergroups then this topic can be about usergroups from any forum.
User avatar
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin
Posts: 2573
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:39 am
Contact:

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:18 pm

@Billy Bob and Nobody: Could you please resist the temptation to add a needless and empty back and forth like this? It's bad enough in the off-topic forum, but really not ok outside of it.

@the original question: yes, user groups have been used in this forum, there are a couple of hidden usergroups for special projects, e.g. the development of WAMOFI.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Post by billy bob » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:51 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:@Billy Bob and Nobody: Could you please resist the temptation to add a needless and empty back and forth like this? It's bad enough in the off-topic forum, but really not ok outside of it.
Sorry.
Midnight Synergy wrote:@the original question: yes, user groups have been used in this forum, there are a couple of hidden usergroups for special projects, e.g. the development of WAMOFI.
May I ask, why are they hidden?
User avatar
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin
Posts: 2573
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:39 am
Contact:

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:05 pm

In case of Wamofi, it was for ongoing development and testing - obviously not open to the public.
User avatar
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4356
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 am
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Post by tyteen4a03 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:11 am

Marinus wrote: As far as I know this forum is running an older version of software (Php 2, instead of the newer version 3 if I'm right) In version 2 an administrator or moderator is not necessary member of a group. Patrick can just make a member admin or mod if he should want to do so. Of course it is possible that there are hidden groups in this forum, but not likely. (unless you may be member of such hidden group, or know people who are)

I think Patrick doesn't want difference between the forummembers, no different clubs, and therefore there are no groups at all. Just an administrator and members.
Nope, it is the same. Most of the forum software out there (including phpBB 2, what this forum is using, and vBulletin 3, 3.studIo forum is using) does not require admins/mods to have the admin/mod usergroup as their main (aka visible) usergroup. I might have misunderstood your question though.

BTW: PHP is the programming language of phpBB (vBulletin and Invision Power Board if you wonder). PHP 2 was released in April 1996, and PHP 3 was released in June 1998. Currently the latest stable version is PHP 5.3 and 5.2.10, while all other versions in the 5.2 branch are still supported.

You might have seen my post about switching forum software to vBulletin. A reason of doing so is that phpBB2 was designed for PHP 4, which retired earlier (sp) due to desicions of the PHP team. Currently both phpBB2 and PHP 4 are both outdated and not supported, so if either of it has problems (more likely, phpBB2) you will not be able to get support easily like the latest version.

OK, that was an interesting lesson. 15 minutes break :lol:
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
User avatar
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:30 am

Post by ^_^ » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:47 am

Well, on some forums there are only a few usergroups. Usergroups are groups like: ">something< clan" - if there are clans/clubs on the forum. Usergroups can be created ONLY By a Administrator - So those Usergroups may be non-popular/popular - you all need to do is to set them in administration pannel.
If you can look at my avatar for 19 minutes, without closing your eyes, you must be great.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:49 am

- @Patrick,

Although it may not be a quite common conversation between BB and Nobody, I don't think there was a problem. In a way they both have some good points, however there may have been some misunderstanding. They did not use bad words, and neither were acting angry or so, and besides, the conversation had already been ended by Nobody's "facepalm" post.

Perhaps in a way, Billy Bob may be, or may be acting a bit different then most people, but so am I, and I really hope it's not going to be forbidden, to be or to act a bit different then most people.



- @Darshan,

Because of what I said above here, I think there's no reason for so much Caps-lock use, and using those saying, which sound a bit negative to me. (but that may be my mistake)



- @BB,

At some points I think you're partly right. (but only partly :wink: ) Below, in response to Tyteen's above post I will talk about this forum and also about another forum, just to give an example, to compare one forum to another, that way trying to make things clear about this forum.

On the other hand, the title allows this to become a general topic about usergroups on any forum. That part I agree with you.

BTW this is the last thing I say about the "on/off-topic-ness", at least in this topic.



- @Tyteen, (finally to the point :wink: )

Thanks for the information, and I think it should be correct what you said. However, it is indeed not quite what I mean.

My family has also a forum running on PHP2 and everything on that forum seems to work exactly the same as on this forum, (except the possibility to add attachments) and on that forum an admin or mod does not need to be member of a usergroup. I am the admin and I have simply the ability to make any common member to admin, or mod, even if there would be no usergroup at all. Therefore I thought it would work the same on this forum.
Image
User avatar
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4356
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 am
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Post by tyteen4a03 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Can you show me a screenshot of the admin control panel or any part of the forum? I don't think it is phpBB2. phpBB2 lets you upload attachments.

BTW PHP is NOT a forum software, phpBB is.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:14 pm

Here it is. Unfortunately, since it is a Dutch forum, I was not able to change the text into English. (But I guess it will be easier for you to read Dutch, then it will be for me to read Chinese. 8) )

As you can see it is phpBB 2.0.22.

Edit: I guess you have already seen the picture after more then 24 hours so I removed it, because it's too big, and it has no further use here.
Image
User avatar
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4356
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 am
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Post by tyteen4a03 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:14 pm

Oh. I think phpBB2 treat permissions as an individual instead of treating them in usergroups.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Post by Marinus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Yes (but it's also possible to give a group moderator's permission if I'm right)

Because, it's quite obvious since there is a group of gametesters, that the subforum where they talked about testing the game, is hidden, but actually I don't see a reason why the group itself is hidden. (the people on the forum should NOT know what those testers were talking about, but the names of the testers were already known if I'm right.)

But if there would be an administrator and moderator group, it would absolutely make no sense that those groups are hidden, because everyone should know who's the admin and mods.

Therefore I think there is no admin and mod group on this forum; Patrick is just the admin, and that's it.
Image
Post Reply