WA1: "Adventures done Adventurously" project topic

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Bump

I just read through this thread and read all these amazing discoveries!

Billy Bob, how did you find these amazing glitches and stuff for speedrunning? 25 minutes in the original WA? Amazing!

Edit: oh 11 pages

Edit2: oh and I'm the 300th reply, but the 301th post. :P
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:39 am

FinnThor wrote:Billy Bob, how did you find these amazing glitches and stuff for speedrunning?
Testing, getting to know the mechanics, and"spending"way too much time.
FinnThor wrote:25 minutes in the original WA? Amazing!
(It was actually 26 minutes long.)
It's going to get even lower. I reckon WA1 Any% could get as fast as 15 minutes long. The reason why it hasn't happened yet is because I no longer possess a computer which can play the game and record footage simultaneously. It's definitely going to happen eventually, I've had everything routed and practiced for months.
My birthday's coming up, maybe I'll get a computer then...
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sat May 05, 2018 3:08 am

Sorry for the delay... This should have happened 1¼ years ago.

Wonderland Adventures Any% Speedrun - 14:49

If you've played WA1, I highly recommend watching this.

WA1 is a top tier speed game.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sat May 05, 2018 3:53 am

That was insane! Good job. I remember when a WA speedrun was over an hour long back in 2014. So much progress has been made, and I wonder if it's going to get even faster.

It's impressive the amount of glitches this game has. I think this is the point when I'm having a little bit of trouble keeping up with the speedrun, in particular the infinite Blink glitch. Anyway, I've been thinking of making a TAS of this game for a while since precise actions would really benefit it, but I haven't been able to make it work, so I guess that won't happen.

Again, fantastic work!
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:57 am

billy bob wrote:Sorry for the delay... This should have happened 1¼ years ago.

The way you skip adventures... I'm speechless.

Well done!
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Sat May 05, 2018 10:53 am

billy bob wrote:Sorry for the delay... This should have happened 1¼ years ago.

VERY GOOD

How fast can you speedrun MoFI / PoTZ?
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
StinkyFTW
Rainbow Seeker

Post by StinkyFTW » Sat May 05, 2018 12:34 pm

Dang, even I didn't know the first game was THAT buggy. Who knows, maybe there is a way to cut the time down even more.
OH GOD. :mrgreen:
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed May 09, 2018 2:32 am

garirry wrote:I remember when a WA speedrun was over an hour long back in 2014. So much progress has been made, and I wonder if it's going to get even faster.
StinkyFTW wrote:Who knows, maybe there is a way to cut the time down even more.
That really is the question. I believe that WA will get more broken if we keep looking. At this point it's difficult to see how it could get any faster, skipping the first segment would be very nice but there's not much to work with.
tyteen4a03 wrote:The way you skip adventures... I'm speechless.
The beginning of adventure skip glitch is a frame perfect input in a 60 FPS game, if failed then around 3 seconds are lost, my success rate for this was 9/10 in this run. The ending of adventure skip glitch is probably a dozen frames or so, but if it is failed then the game crashes. Also there's no cue for pressing ESC, you have to start a timer after completing the first part then wait 15 seconds.
FinnThor wrote:How fast can you speedrun MoFI / PoTZ?
I beat MOFI in 49:02 two years ago and haven't found any route improvements since so I don't plan to try to beat it... MOFI any% is the worst category to be honest because there are 37 ASGs and the rest is pretty much hub movement, literally a third of the run is staring into a blank screen. MOFI Any% No ASG in 1:14:18 is a much better viewing, I haven't found any route improvements there either.

I've beaten POTZ in 1:19:35 and it's long because ASG was patched. I have found some really crazy new tricks recently so I plan to run this game again soon...

Next I'll probably run WA1 No ASG.
garirry wrote:I think this is the point when I'm having a little bit of trouble keeping up with the speedrun, in particular the infinite Blink glitch.
That's my fault... I don't think I ever even explained why it works.

This is my explanation for infinite Blink glitch:

Having the magic gloves in the inventory has two properties.
1: The gloves will be charged when stepping onto/flying over a magic charger.
2. Glove charge will be lost when going through an area transition or the glove charge reaching 0.

You may have thought that having the magic gloves only causes the first of those two properties, and that the glove charge would be lost regardless of whether the gloves are in the inventory. And it could have been made like that, but effort was made to make sure that it wasn't, and I'm not sure why.

With that in mind, if there was a way to remove the magic gloves while having them charged, then the charge would actually be kept forever and would never be removed (I actually knew this a couple years before the discovery but didn't want to get anyone's hopes up).

So how exactly does one go about deleting the magic gloves while they are charged? Restarting adventure while in hub. Before restarting adventure in hub was found deleting items was only possible from the arcade and north Wondertown areas, but now it's possible in probably around 20 areas or something in WA1. One of those areas is the Cedric-in-the-Morning area, and it contains Blink magic.

Restart adventure in hub happens when a start adventure fade out screen happens at the same time as an NPC death game over fade out screen. Basically in order to perform the glitch you must murder an NPC while moving onto an adventure star. This glitch has some interesting effects, such as the inventory being restored to what it was the last time an adventure was started, and the area the glitch was performed in being restored to what it was the last time it was entered.

Why does restart adventure in hub happen?
There is an intended mechanic in the game that if you select restart adventure in the menu while there is a game over fade out screen happening or an NPC game over fade out screen happens during a restart adventure fade out screen then the adventure will instantly restart, cutting through the fade out; the adventure title screen will come up immediately. I think this mechanic was put in to make it so that the adventure will actually restart if restart adventure is selected in the menu, because otherwise it wouldn't because the game over fade out screen would override that. The mistake that MS made was to make this mechanic apply to start adventure fade outs as well as restart adventure fade outs. So if an NPC game over fade out is present simultaneously with a start adventure fade out, then the mechanic will activate and the game looks for the last adventure that was started and restarts it, it also restores the inventory to what it was the last time an adventure title screen appeared (because that's what normally happens when restarting adventures), and the game doesn't bother to remember the changes that were made to the area since the last time it was entered (because it never does that with restarting adventures).

How is an NPC murdered at the same time as moving onto an adventure star? Using another two glitches, the white Star magic glitch and the move during Blink spellball glitch.

White Star magic glitch is performed by having the magic gloves charged, then loading a save that doesn't have the magic gloves charged (but does have the magic gloves in the inventory otherwise you'll get Bounce magic instead). Click on the magic gloves icon to activate. The spellballs are destructive. Cast at NPCs to murder.

Move during Blink spellball glitch is performed by casting a Blink spellball then before it lands saving then reloading the game. You will now be able to move and cast another spellball before the first Blink spellball lands.

So all in all? The white Star magic glitch and the move during Blink spellball glitch are both combined in the setup to get the restart adventure in hub glitch to activate. This restores the inventory to the last time an adventure was started, which was when the The Magic Gloves adventure was started and we didn't have the magic gloves yet, so the magic gloves are deleted. We also have the magic gloves charged with Blink when we perform the restart adventure in hub glitch. So we have the magic gloves charged with Blink then we lose the magic gloves from our inventory, thereby activating the infinite Blink magic glitch.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: WA1: "Adventures done Adventurously" project topic

Post by billy bob » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:52 am

This is where I beat WA1 fast without using the Adventure Skip Glitch.

Wonderland Adventures Any% No ASG Speedrun - 19:33
Last edited by billy bob on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Really great run! I find it rather interesting how many compromises non-ASG creates, such as, if I'm understanding the situation correctly, having to go back for the magic gloves to be able to use standard magic. I actually enjoy the ASG runs for this game more now because of that, oddly enough. Anyway, not to push you or anything, but do you have any ideas about 100% runs of any game in the series? It's something I've been curious about for some time now. In any case, I appreciate your efforts regarding speedrunning and glitch-finding in these games, it really makes things so much interesting.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:40 pm

These games don't stand a chance against you, do they? :P
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:02 am

I've been busy with a lot of individual adventures from the games recently, beating them as fast as I can.
Here are my favourite records on completing adventures as quickly as possible:

Treasure Chamber Any% - 0:12
Water Works 100% - 0:30
Freshwater Reservoir Any% - 0:10
Freshwater Reservoir 100% - 0:13
To Catch A Thief! - 0:26
Turtle Race Any% - 0:25
Double Lock - 0:08
Chomper Pinball Any% - 0:09
Thwart the Thwarts 100% - 0:27
Round and Round 100% - 0:41
Thwart Power Cubes A - 0:19
Thwart Power Cubes C - 0:30
The Purple Shard - 0:12

Gemstone Lagoon - 0:54
Blink River 100% - 0:17

Remote Control Any% - 0:09
Remote Control 100% - 0:11
Crystal Castle - 0:29

I know there are a lot of these, but it was a lot of work.
Each of these records took me somewhere between one to six hours respectively.

To view playlists of all the single adventure records I have achieved, click these:
WA1 Single Adventure Speedruns
WA2: MOFI Single Adventure Speedruns
WA3: POTZ Single Adventure Speedruns
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Sub 1 Hour!

Post by billy bob » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:27 pm

WA Planet of the Z-Bots Any% Speedrun - 59:06

This is how fast I can beat WA:POTZ! This took a few months to put together.

It's over 20 minutes faster than my previous attempt.
The time save is from giving custom items the function ID of other items.
For example, if we activate a dialogue while our inventory is open, then we will be able to pause and load a save with our inventory still open. If we do this, then all our items from before we loaded the save will temporarily still be there, but with the "colour/subcolour" (function IDs) of the items that are on the loaded save.
For one this means that we can give a custom item a function ID of any other item in our possession. For example, we can give a custom item a function ID of a metal key. Then if we use this custom item, it will raise a metal bridge.
This can depend on the type of custom item used but the ones in POTZ activate objects around the player.
Another example, we can give a custom item a function ID of an empty slot. Empty slots have a function ID of -1. Objects that aren't assigned an ID have the default of -1. In the WA trilogy's case there probably aren't any objects with ID -1 that aren't already active, however some of these objects that are already active can be deactivated, and that means that we can use this to reactivate them. Examples are Wee Stinkers that have reached the Wee Stinker exit can be reactivated, and most unrepeatable general commands can be repeated again.
But here's the most useful thing of all this; all items that have been collected are assigned an ID of -1. This means that, with a custom item with function ID -1, we can reactivate any collected item instantly, over and over, and as many as inventory capacity can hold.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Sub 50 Minutes!

Post by billy bob » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:21 am

Last edited by billy bob on Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:38 am

my 1h6min record last 1 week, congrats billy!