WA1: "Adventures done Adventurously" project topic

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

WA1: "Adventures done Adventurously" project topic

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:37 pm

Let's beat all the levels in the game as fast as possible, shall we? :wink:

The idea of recording videos and making a collaborative speedrun of all levels individually was proposed by Sammy_P. Below are the rules that I wrote for WA1 in the "Did 105 stars in WA!!!" topic. I just copied them here.

Alright, so here's the first draft of my "Wonderland Adventures Speedrun Rules". For now, feel free to ignore the italic green portions - it's for the unlikely case someone decides to speedrun the whole game.

Note that this is for WA1 only. I haven't played enough MOFI, so I can't make a ruleset for it. The only MOFI rule that's obvious is the "no save/load" part. It stays, because MOFI hasn't fixed the "save/load nulls the timer" bug.

General:

0) CHEATING IS NOT ALLOWED. NO CHEAT CODES. NO CHEAT PROGRAMS. NO VAULT USE. ONLY PURE, RAW HUMAN SKILL.

1) The goal of a speedrun is to be as fast as possible, while following the rules. That's it.

2) If a trick/glitch/technique is not described here, it's allowed. If you find some crazy glitch that allows you to walk through walls -- go right ahead.

3) The infamous "blink trick" is not allowed. In the older versions it was a glitch, but after fixing it Patrick left it in as an optional cheat code. Cheat codes are not to be used, as per rule 0.

3.5) Since it doesn't require cheat codes to use, Q-Spell is allowed. (rule added in June 2014)

If you're speedrunning a single adventure:

4) You MUST play without Save/Load. The moment you load the game, the in-game timer is set back to 0. For that reason, the moment that happens, your run is disqualified.

4.5) As a corrolary, the "White Magic" glitch is also disallowed, because it needs Save/Load to work.

4.5.5) If anything else is found (other than Save/Load) that nulls the in-game timer... yes, of course. It will be disallowed just like Save/Load.

5) You MUST start the adventure from the "Floing" guy, not from its in-game location. Otherwise you could steal keys from one adventure and use them in a different one. There are reasons why this is undesirable in single-adventure speedruns.

6) The run is timed with the in-game timer.

6.5) So click (or press "Enter) through the "Click to Start Adventure" screen as soon as possible, otherwise the game will count your time as slower. This video explains the issue.

7) In dark levels, use the lamp or a glowgem, PLEASE. Getting through dark levels without a light source is an impressive skill, but pure darkness is boring to watch.

If you're crazy enough to speedrun the whole game:

8) All whole-game runs are timed manually from the moment you gain control to the moment you finish "The Purple Shard". Loading screens are excluded.

9) SINGLE SEGMENT is defined by playing through the whole game without Save/Load. Timed manually from the moment you gain control to the moment you finish "The Purple Shard". The moment you load the game, it's no longer a single segment speedrun.

10) RTA ("Real Time Attack", stupid name but has a tradition behind it) is defined by playing through the game in one sitting. Save/Load is allowed. The extra time spent on the menu does not count against you. The extra time spent in-game (any retries, for example) does. Be careful.

11) SEGMENTED is basically "Save/Load unlimited". Play a portion of the game as fast as possible, SAVE. That's your first segment. Load. Play through the next part as fast as possible, SAVE. That's your second segment. You can try each segment as many times as you want, only the fastest time counts. A 0.5 second penalty is applied each time you make a new segment - simply to discourage people from potentially using thousands of segments, which would make competition very tedious.

12) "Key-stealing" tricks (described in rule 5) are allowed in all whole-game categories.

13) Except for the single segment category (for obvious reasons), "White Magic" glitch is allowed. Go wild.

14) If you think you're amazing/crazy enough to save time by not getting the coins you'd need for the lamp, go ahead and wander around in the darkness.

On Low%, 100%, Any% categories

15) In single-adventure runs, collecting all bonus coins and gems is 100%. Not taking some of them is Any%. Taking as little as physically possible is Low%.

16) In whole-game runs, getting some stars and taking some coins and gems is Any%. Getting as few stars and taking as little coins and gems as physically possible is Low%.

16.5) Getting 105 stars, taking ALL coins and gems, including those in the hub, would've been 100%. However, nobody (aside from Patrick) can be absolutely sure that ALL the coins and gems have been discovered by the players, so whole-game 100% runs are NOT ACCEPTED for the moment. If Patrick wants to be a judge, then they will become acceptable, but Patrick is a busy man and has other things (like POTZ) to do.

17) Optional adventures are optional. Skip as many as you can and want to. An "all adventures" whole-game run has no reason to exist unless it's 100%, and those (as described in rule 16.5) are not accepted as of yet.
Last edited by Muzozavr on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Also, would anyone be willing to do the arcade levels? :lol:
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:46 pm

GAH, I lost my copy of WA some time ago. Could I do some MOFI levels if I ever have the chance?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Sammy_P wrote:Also, would anyone be willing to do the arcade levels? :lol:
Well, I don't really like some of them, but the single-adventure runs would be incomplete without them.

Also, "Brick Buster 3" is the easiest level in the game, LOL. You just stay in the bottom right corner and nothing can touch you. There's no way to speed the level up, actually, it always finishes in the exact same time.

As for MOFI, yes, you can do MOFI too. ("Mysteries done Mysteriously Well") However, I don't know enough about MOFI to make a proper ruleset, so someone else will have to. Save/Load is still banned in individual level runs, though. MOFI did not fix the "save/load nulls the game timer" bug.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Wait Wait Wait, you say that we will try to win the game as fast as possible, following the rules. and post our results here?
Previous Adventure:Time Out
Latest Adventure:Please Don't Feed The Dinosaurs!
Upcoming Adventure: History Lessons
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:31 pm

@yzfm: Nope, this will be a video containing the fastest speedruns of every level, and there could be one for MOFI and then maybe a sequel to this, if possible.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Reporting results is also necessary. If you don't have a way to record videos, but have managed to achieve a faster time, then we should know about that.

Aaaaaand I need to figure out a way to record the game when it's running in full screen without tons of lag -- the starting trick on "Freshwater Reservoir" is almost impossible to pull off in time in windowed mode and becomes worthless as a result.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:09 pm

Muzozavr wrote:Reporting results is also necessary. If you don't have a way to record videos, but have managed to achieve a faster time, then we should know about that.

Aaaaaand I need to figure out a way to record the game when it's running in full screen without tons of lag -- the starting trick on "Freshwater Reservoir" is almost impossible to pull off in time in windowed mode and becomes worthless as a result.
How about Fraps?
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Any suggestions for means of recording videos?
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:15 pm

Yzfm wrote:Any suggestions for means of recording videos?
Growler Guncam or Fraps AFAIK.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:20 pm

For my TOW scoreruns I use Growler Guncam. It's the only program I've found that works well with this game, even on weaker computers. I haven't tried it on WA yet, though.

I'm really out of shape - now my best on "The Purple Shard" is 16 seconds and the usual is 17. :( I really need to practice more.

I've also done a few test runs just now and here are two interesting results, yet to be recorded on video:

1) On "Stinker in Peril" it's possible to use diagonal moves to take all the gems, press the red button immediately afterwards and STILL blink fast enough to save the wee stinker. Preliminary test run was 1:00, but I somehow managed to waste lots of time AFTER the spikeball part.

2) "Hide and Seek" in 0:39!!! It's all in the route, you have to be a lot more daring than in a normal playthrough. Anyone wants to try and find an even faster way?
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:01 pm

LIST OF CURRENT RECORDS

(some records are from 105 stars in wa topic)

1 Stinker Rescue, Part 1 - 1:05 - Muzozavr
2 Stinker Rescue, Part 2 - 1:17 - Yzfm (Any%) - 1:30 (All%) - Muzozavr
3 Treasure Springs - 0:31 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
4 Passage of Fire - 0:32 - Muzozavr
5 Frostbite Cave - 0:41 - Muzozavr - VIDEO NOT AVAILIBLE - VIDEO (0:42)
6 Scritter Control - 0:54 - Yzfm
7 The Magic Gloves - 2:05 - Yzfm
8 Hop, Skip, & Blink!
9 Fire & Ice - 0:56 - Blazeknight
10 The Pump House
11 Treasure Chamber
12 Swtiching Station, West Side
13 Swtiching Station, East Side
14 Water Works - 0:37 - Muzozavr (100%)
15 Freshwater Reservoir - 0:29 - Muzozavr
16 Chasm Chase
17 Lost In The Sewers
18 Stinker In Peril
19 To Catch A Thief
20 Introducing Wysp! - 0:24 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
21 Turtle Power
22 Firing Squad
23 Pop Springs
24 Turtle Race
25 Pop & Blink - 1:04 - md
26 Chomper Cave - 0:57 - Blazeknight
27 Helping Friends
28 Lazy Leaf Race - 0:45 - Blazeknight
29 Double Lock - 0:15 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
30 Good Flower, Bad Flower
31 Out Of Sight
32 The Red Shard - 0:03 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
33 The Gem-Lock 4000
34 Hide & Seek - 0:39 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
35 Powder Keg Storage - 0:41 - Blazeknight
36 Descent
37 The Package
38 Tower Maze
39 The IXS-2 Water Lock - 0:10 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
40 Wakka Wakka Level 1 - 0:56 - Muzozavr
41 Cross Roads Level 1 - 0:21 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
42 Brick Buster Level 1
43 Blast'em Level 1
44 Wonderland Adventure Level 1
45 Slip'n'Slide
46 Stinkers on Ice
47 Diagonal Moves
48 Melting Pot
49 Blink on the Rocks
50 Loop de Loopy - 0:28 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
51 Learning to Brr
52 Pinned Down
53 Red Chompers, Red Keys
54 Frozen Doors
55 Mountain Rescue
56 Avalanche Alley - 0:13 - md
57 Chomper Pinball
58 The Blue Shard - 0:12 - Blazeknight
59 Thwart the Thwarts - 0:30 - Muzozavr | 0:24 (Low%) - 0:33 (All%) - md
60 Seven Locks - 0:18 - Muzozavr
61 Stinkers in the Dark
62 Teleportation
63 One-Way Tickets
64 Changing Colors
65 Picking Colors
66 Underground Aqueduct
67 The Rainbow Pool - 0:08 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
68 The Rainbow Lock MK-II - 0:22 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
69 Sunken Paths
70 Lost Mail
71 The Turtle and the Stinker
72 River Crossing
73 Round and Round - 0:52 - Muzozavr
74 Button Me Down
75 Swamped
76 Within A Deep, Dark, Forest
77 Twist & Slide
78 The Chase is On - 0:51 - Muzozavr
79 There & Back Again
80 Stoppers
81 The Green Shard
82 Wakka Wakka Level 2
83 Cross Roads Level 2
84 Brick Buster Level 2
85 Blast'em Level 2
86 Wonderland Adventure Level 2
87 Wakka Wakka Level 3
88 Cross Roads Level 3
89 Brick Buster Level 3 - 1:13
90 Blast'em Level 3
91 Wonderland Adventure Level 3
92 The Pyramid
93 Thwart Power Cubes A - 0:29 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
94 Thwart Power Cubes B - 0:20 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
95 Thwart Power Cubes C - 0:40 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
96 Thwart Power Cubes D - 0:10 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
97 The Purple Shard - 0:15 - Muzozavr - VIDEO
Last edited by Sammy_P on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:40 am

EDIT: OK, got "Thwart the Thwarts" in 30 seconds with that brr-trick. Very dangerous route! Also, just for kicks, here are two scores on "throwaway" levels. 0:03 on "The Red Shard", 0:08 on "The Rainbow Pool". Maybe it's possible to do the second one faster by clicking through the dialogue box insanely fast but that would be very hard.
:wink:

I really need to practice, though - I can't do that anymore... :lol:
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:09 am

Just got 1:17 on Stinker Rescue part 2. I think it can be done slightly faster.

EDIT: Treasure Springs with 0:35

EDIT2: Frostbite Cavern with 0:44

EDIT3: Scritter Control with 0:55
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 am

WARNING!!! SERIOUS TIMER BUG FOUND!!!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx28pu ... QTy3vJsJfc

In short: the timer starts on the "Click to Start Adventure" screen, NOT in the actual adventure!!! So click through these screens as fast as possible, or you will regret it.

BTW, list of results that I have recorded on video and will upload them soon:

Treasure Springs - 0:31
Hide and Seek - 0:39
The IXS-2 Water Lock - 0:10
The Rainbow MK-II Lock - 0:22

and also recorded the two throwaway levels:

The Red Shard - 0:03
The Rainbow Pool - 0:08
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:53 am

OK, all six videos are posted here:

www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2g5hb_Muz ... nturously/

All other videos will be posted in the exact same place.

EDIT:
Just got 1:17 on Stinker Rescue part 2.
Did you collect all the gems? With all the gems, my best is 1:30 and that's by being very stubborn and trying over and over.
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:32 am

No, I didn't collect any gems but the necessary ones.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:53 am

OK, I know the Low% and Any% categories exist, but I think we should focus on the 100% runs (single-adventure) first.

Also, from now on, if you report a result without a video, tell us if it's low%, any% or 100%.

Speaking of which, I've never actually tried low% runs...

EDIT: Stinker Rescue (the first one) in 1:06. Everything collected, so it's 100%. Probably possible to be a bit faster.

EDIT 2: Stinker Rescue 1 in 1:05. Frostbite Cave in 0:42.

EDIT 3: Double Lock in 0:15!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I always knew it could be done, but wasn't able to do it. This will probably be the next one that I record... but not today. I do have other stuff to do.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Wow! Thanks, guys! I've updated the list of records.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Sammy_P wrote:Wow! Thanks, guys! I've updated the list of records.
On Stinker Rescue part 2, please put both my time and Yzfm's time. Yzfm did not collect all the gems. I did, which is why my time is slower. So our times are not very comparable.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:20 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
Sammy_P wrote:Wow! Thanks, guys! I've updated the list of records.
On Stinker Rescue part 2, please put both my time and Yzfm's time. Yzfm did not collect all the gems. I did, which is why my time is slower. So our times are not very comparable.
Done.
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Scritter Control with 0:54 this time :P

EDIT: The magic gloves with 2:05
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Got 0:55 on Scritter Control, one second slower than Yzfm. I need to do better on this one.

1:13 on Brick Buster 3. This level always takes the exact same amount of time, no way to speed it up, so... yeah. I suggest playing the level the hard way and NOT staying in the bottom right corner to make the video more entertaining to watch.

EDIT: 0:56 on Wakka Wakka 1. I think it may be possible to go a bit faster.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Alright, so I'm too lazy to add individual video links, the playlist link is still the same, here are the four results I recorded on video:

Frostbite Cave - 0:42
Introducing Wysp! - 0:24
Double Lock - 0:15
Loop de Loopy - 0:28

I highly recommend watching the 15 seconds on "Double Lock", it's absolutely awesome.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Recorded and uploaded:

CrossRoads Level 1 - 0:21
The Purple Shard - 0:15

Watch "The Purple Shard", it shows a route that (if you go slower) can be used to complete the level very safely.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Wow! Awesome job! I think Crossroads 1 can be improved a bit... but I'll see.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:46 pm

No video yet:

Water Works - 0:37 (100%)

Holy wow. This is brutal. The way I'm doing this requires me to be absolutely PERFECT in this run. There's barely enough time to get past the first section properly while still getting past that one fireflower - if you're 1/10th of a second late, you're dead before your blink can arrive to the destination tile. Then you still have to nail that final section, which isn't that hard but the blinking can still trip you up. Hoooooooly wow.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:49 pm

New videos:

Freshwater Reservoir - 0:29 (yes, really! beat my previous record!)
Thwart Power Cubes A - 0:29
Thwart Power Cubes B - 0:20
Thwart Power Cubes C - 0:40
Thwart Power Cubes D - 0:10

For "Freshwater Reservoir" I did it in windowed mode, after all. :lol: I just randomly placed my mouse cursor as close to "slightly below top left" as I could and then hoped for the best on that first blink.

The "TPC" levels feel strangely easy now, I have no idea why I used to think they were annoying.
Blazeknight
Rainbow Master

Post by Blazeknight » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:35 am

Blue shard ... 0:12
Powder keg storage ... 0:41
Chomper cave ... 0:57
Lazy leaf race ... 0:45
Fire and ice ... 0:56

I picked the easy adventures :D
Happy to Help!

Check out my works @ http://quaziiquce.webs.com
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:43 am

Powder keg storage ... 0:41
If you Save/Load during an adventure, your time doesn't count. Are you *sure* this was done in one sitting?

The rest look plausible.