WA3 Crowd Sourcing: Questions for MS [Closed]

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

WA3 Crowd Sourcing: Questions for MS [Closed]

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I said the beta-testing would be the last one, but I thought of one (possibly two) more little ideas for crowd sourcing.

I'll likely have one more Midnight Post come out before the release of WA3, and as part of it I thought it would be a neat idea to have a "Questions from the Audience" section.

So... ask a question about Midnight Synergy or WA3 that you've always wanted to ask. Post the questions here (so others can see what questions have already been listed), maximum two questions per member. So make them good ones. :)

I will select questions from the pool, and you'll find answers in the Midnight Post. Some I might also answer here (earlier).

(No "prizes" for selected questions, obviously)
Last edited by Midnight Synergy on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:47 pm

(I should clarify that these are questions _before_ the release of WA3, so definitely I'll answer some general questions about the game - although I may be a little leery to give away too many spoilers, of course)
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:45 pm

If we return to the classic series, can we still keep our old RTW stinkers back? :D

What are your favorite levels?

Question?

Will there be another game collection CD for the WA games?
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:47 pm

What inspirations did you have (if any) while you were creating the Wonderland series?

What aspect of the Wonderland series are you most proud of?
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:50 pm

What exactly does the name "Midnight Synergy" as your company mean?
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:53 pm

What's the "secret" to building a collection of puzzle elements that work well in unison with each other to allow many possibilities for puzzles?

Will we be seeing the return of the Intensity series in the near future, and if not, what non-Wonderland concepts do you have planned so far?
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:07 am

Wonderland King wrote:What exactly does the name "Midnight Synergy" as your company mean?
Midnight Synergy wrote:Well, Midnight Synergy began as a horse-breeding outfit in 1781. In 1823 the stable master, Lord Upscotch of Padwinkle, befriended Charles Babbage and became proud owner of a brand new difference engine. Lord Upscotch initially used the engine to verify his taxation records, but soon after broke his wrist in an unfortunate accident involving a roast turkey and too much brandy. The engine was stored in one of the stables where it began to gather dust.

Upscotch’s daughter, Lilly, had been training one of the horses to count all the prime numbers by stomping its feet - strangely enough a never ending endeavour. On one dark and stormy night the horse began stomping on the difference engine, proving by accident that 14x2=28 and that two pickled herrings do not make an adequate fuel source for a combustion engine.

Exactly 179 years later Wonderland was released. Coincidence? I think not!

These days Midnight Synergy is a worldwide conglomerate with offices in every country except Luxembourg and Liechtenstein (mainly due to the confusion of which is which) and over 200,000 employees (most of whom spend their days breathing helium to get Stinky and Loof’s voices just right).
[/quote]
flameterror91
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by flameterror91 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:13 am

Question Uno: Will there be anymore Wonderland games after this such as the classic or adventure series?

Question Dos: What made you to change the game into how Wonderland is today? You know from Classic to Adventures?
Heeeeeey
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:53 am

Wonderland King wrote:What exactly does the name "Midnight Synergy" as your company mean?
That's actually explained in the game collection.
ILoveWonderland
Rainbow Master

Post by ILoveWonderland » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:54 am

1. What are your plans for Wonderland after POTZ?

2. Have you ever thought of making a classic-style point-and-click adventure game that companies such as Lucasarts and Sierra used to make?
Last edited by ILoveWonderland on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insert stupid jokes here.
llarson
Rainbow Star

Post by llarson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:09 am

First Question: Was there any scrapped elements from WA3 ?
"Cabbage is useless"~Came to me in a dream
"Aparagus is Unlovable"~Common knowledge
"Radishes are Ugly"~Came to my mind
My Level List
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:50 am

ILoveWonderland wrote:2. What other potential ideas do you have for other game series, both old and new?
You STOLE my question.

...oh well, I guess I can come up with an alternate second question later or something.
ILoveWonderland
Rainbow Master

Post by ILoveWonderland » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:23 am

Nobody wrote:
ILoveWonderland wrote:2. What other potential ideas do you have for other game series, both old and new?
You STOLE my question.

...oh well, I guess I can come up with an alternate second question later or something.
...erm, actually, I was in a rush, so I accidentally went pass your question without reading it. But it doesn't matter anymore, since I changed it.
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:33 am

Cool, kind of like a conference for Wonderland. :D

I have a question...
I know you already said something about this in the last Midnight Post, but after WA3, do you plan to make Wonderland for mobile devices and platforms such as iOS and Android?
If so, what do you plan on making? A recreation of the Classic Wonderland, Wonderland Adventures, or something different that's not on PC?

Also, just a quick question, do you suppose that we could see Wonderland in high definition and 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratios since most computers and monitors these days don't use the old 4:3 aspect ratio?
If you bothered to copy and paste this signature, or zoom in, to make it possible to read, then I wasted 5-10 seconds of your life.
MINERAYMAN

WONDERLAND PORTABLE (ANDROID,IOS)

Post by MINERAYMAN » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:17 am

md is right. I want to play in a wonderland for your android. patrick consider the idea. Portable wonderland but would be great.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:34 am

When you design your levels, your puzzles... what do you start with? How do you design in general, actually? Are your levels designed "chronologically" or do you like working backwards? Or do you design in all directions at once? Or perhaps you prefer to start with some unusual idea, with some "trick" and then try to disguise the out-of-the-box solution? Or is it something completely different?
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
dig 222
Rainbow Star

Post by dig 222 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Will wonderland ever come out on the xbox live arcade? That would be COOL. :D
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Sorry about the other question- didn't see where it had been already answered. Anyway, do you plan to do more "crowd sourcing" for future games?
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Nobody wrote:
You STOLE my question.

This has already been answered.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
boh123321
Rainbow Wizard

Post by boh123321 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:48 am

What do you think is your best game yet?
no
ILoveWonderland
Rainbow Master

Post by ILoveWonderland » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:59 am

tyteen4a03 wrote:
Nobody wrote:
You STOLE my question.

Yeah, but that was 4 years ago. He might have changed his plans since then.
llarson
Rainbow Star

Post by llarson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:18 am

Wonderland Academy was announced in the recent Midnight Post.
"Cabbage is useless"~Came to me in a dream
"Aparagus is Unlovable"~Common knowledge
"Radishes are Ugly"~Came to my mind
My Level List
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:08 pm

1. How much longer do you think the Wonderland series will keep going before you have to end it (if ever)?

2. What is usually the #1 thing you have to keep in mind when designing the Wonderland games?
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:30 pm

llarson wrote:Wonderland Academy was announced in the recent Midnight Post.
mentioned vaguely*
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:25 am

ILoveWonderland wrote:
tyteen4a03 wrote:
Nobody wrote:
You STOLE my question.

Yeah, but that was 4 years ago. He might have changed his plans since then.
That, and we were both specifically asking about non-Wonderland stuff. That thread specifically mentions all his plans for Wonderland.
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:51 pm

1. Will there be any mod/plugin support in this or any future versions of Wonderland?

I want to think a bit more for another question so that I don't ask something silly.

~ Matt

PS: Sorry for not being very active, i log in to these forums once every 3 months or so. :|
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

I was previously known as cooldudepoke.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 pm

cooldudepoke wrote:1. Will there be any mod/plugin support in this or any future versions of Wonderland?

I want to think a bit more for another question so that I don't ask something silly.

~ Matt

PS: Sorry for not being very active, i log in to these forums once every 3 months or so. :|
This is more of an inside information (exchanged via PM) but MS claims it's no information, so let me indirectly answer part of this question: Future games (Wonderland or not) will not be using Blitz3D.

As for what happens in the future, I'm sure Patrick has pointers. ;)
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:12 pm

Surprise, I'm not dead! Well, some of you knew that already, but anyways.

This isn't strictly related to WA3, but here's one: How do you go about the planning and such for hubs in the WA games? Like, how does this process go? Do you draw out a basic map of Wonderland, label areas, figure out the player's path, etc. beforehand?
Krishiv738
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Krishiv738 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:05 pm

My question is

How did you get the idea to make wonderland games?
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Surprise, I'm not dead!
WOAH
Qloof234 wrote:This isn't strictly related to WA3, but here's one: How do you go about the planning and such for hubs in the WA games? Like, how does this process go? Do you draw out a basic map of Wonderland, label areas, figure out the player's path, etc. beforehand?
That's a great question.