Do you play Wonderland with your feet?

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Do you play Wonderland with your feet?

Post by Amnon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:19 am

I normally play Wonderland with my right-hand fingers, in fact with the 2nd and 4th fingers (that's on the piano - or it's the 1st and 3rd fingers on string instruments where the thumb is not counted) on the left and right keyboard arrows respectively and the 3rd finger (2nd on string instruments) moving between the up and down arrows.

I don't normally play with my foot, but inevitably when some monster is about to eat me and it seems unavoidable, my feet go up kicking as if they can save my stinker. :roll:

As much as I don't like this habit, it's automatic and I couldn't find a way to avoid it. :(

Anyone else experiencing this :?:
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Re: Do you play Wonderland with your feet?

Post by samuelthx » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:51 am

Amnon wrote:I normally play Wonderland with my right-hand fingers, in fact with the 2nd and 4th fingers (that's on the piano - or it's the 1st and 3rd fingers on string instruments where the thumb is not counted) on the left and right keyboard arrows respectively and the 3rd finger (2nd on string instruments) moving between the up and down arrows.

I don't normally play with my foot, but inevitably when some monster is about to eat me and it seems unavoidable, my feet go up kicking as if they can save my stinker. :roll:

As much as I don't like this habit, it's automatic and I couldn't find a way to avoid it. :(

I use the same fingers as you.
This happens to me too, whenever a monster suddenly appears, or if I'm about to get inevitably destroyed by a fireball...
I guess it's a reflex thing, lol. :P
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:49 pm

Whenever I get killed, and especially via a monster, I tend to make a series of faces in similar order.

:shock:
:|
:?

If I die when I know I probably would, and I just find it repetitive, and I'm not very spooked that night, I'll just make a very grumpy face, not unlike this.
ᴕ ᴕ

But, I digress. My feet don't actually go flying to save my stinker.

My head does, however, propel away from the computer as if to avoid an explosion.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: Do you play Wonderland with your feet?

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:24 pm

Amnon wrote:I normally play Wonderland with my right-hand fingers, in fact with the 2nd and 4th fingers (that's on the piano - or it's the 1st and 3rd fingers on string instruments where the thumb is not counted) on the left and right keyboard arrows respectively and the 3rd finger (2nd on string instruments) moving between the up and down arrows.
That's exactly how I play most arrow-key games.
Amnon wrote:I don't normally play with my foot, but inevitably when some monster is about to eat me and it seems unavoidable, my feet go up kicking as if they can save my stinker. :roll:

Er... no. I don't.

However, I do have to odd habit of pressing "Esc" and returning to the level menu whenever I want to reset a level. I find the death animation takes too long for me to sit through, so I just re-select the level from the menu instead of killing myself with the "Reset level" option.
Krishiv738
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Krishiv738 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:48 am

When my player gets killed without me knowing,I feel a shock like reflex action and my heart beats loudly.
I am getting outta here, nothing is new, everything is boring.
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:52 am

Yes, and left hand for esc and shift. :)

For WA trilogy I actually use left hand for mouse and right hand for numpad numberkeys. Reason being is so that I can make sharp diagonal movements. It's fine making a diagonal move immediately after moving because you can just hold down the two arrow keys before the animation of the previous movement has finished, but moving diagonally after stopping on normal arrow keys requires you to press them at the exact same time which is inconsistent. :wink:
yot yot5 wrote:I do have to odd habit of pressing "Esc" and returning to the level menu whenever I want to reset a level. I find the death animation takes too long for me to sit through, so I just re-select the level from the menu instead of killing myself with the "Reset level" option.
Yes, I use this method too. It's usually a lot faster, except now I have too many levels in my folder so that every time I exit the level it actually takes longer to load them all up than it is to sit through the death animation and the horrible shrieking noise. :lol:

Another thing I do is, if I need to stop time to think, I hold down esc rather than press it. This way my vision won't be hindered by the text and the darkening of the screen.
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:14 am

billy bob wrote:For WA trilogy I actually use left hand for mouse and right hand for numpad numberkeys. Reason being is so that I can make sharp diagonal movements. It's fine making a diagonal move immediately after moving because you can just hold down the two arrow keys before the animation of the previous movement has finished, but moving diagonally after stopping on normal arrow keys requires you to press them at the exact same time which is inconsistent. :wink:
Hmm. I use the left hand for arrow keys, and use the right hand for the mouse. I didn't know that neat trick, though I had never needed it for POTZ. :P
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks everyone for replying. My list of levels is in the 1000's, so if I press ESC it takes 3 seconds to get to the list and about 10 seconds if it's the first time when the computer resumes after hibernation.

It's nice to know that others too have this problem of kicking, but what it means is that we somehow, not consciously I hope, believe that we are actually that little figure on the screen. We do tend to forget our physical bodies (not that we are even these physical bodies either, but our physical body is probably closer to us than a figure on a screen).
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:52 pm

Both of my computers have the same problem as you, Amnon. :lol:

Except, my newer one's probably closer to 5 or 7 seconds, and the next startup is at 1...

but as I collect more levels, the list is slowly turning... err... slower.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:18 am

Ok people, I'm really sorry for the bump, but I just had a brilliant/strange/stupid idea which fits perfectly with the topic title and I just had to share before I explode.

Play Wonderland with a DDR mat.

For those who have no idea what I am talking about, a DDR mat is a mat you put on the floor and jump on. It has four arrows (up, down, left, right) and you have to step on the correct arrow with the correct timing while playing various video games. You can also find these sometimes in arcades.
So how about hooking up the mat to control Stinky? It would certainly make the RTW action levels a lot, lot harder! WA would be difficult though if you need to use the mouse, so stick to the classic trilogy.
In fact here's an even better idea: a DDR level in RTW. Yep, I'm starting work on that as soon as I submit this post...... :lol:
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:39 pm

cloudrac3r wrote:Ok people, I'm really sorry for the bump, but I just had a brilliant/strange/stupid idea which fits perfectly with the topic title and I just had to share before I explode.

Play Wonderland with a DDR mat.

For those who have no idea what I am talking about, a DDR mat is a mat you put on the floor and jump on. It has four arrows (up, down, left, right) and you have to step on the correct arrow with the correct timing while playing various video games. You can also find these sometimes in arcades.
So how about hooking up the mat to control Stinky? It would certainly make the RTW action levels a lot, lot harder! WA would be difficult though if you need to use the mouse, so stick to the classic trilogy.
In fact here's an even better idea: a DDR level in RTW. Yep, I'm starting work on that as soon as I submit this post...... :lol:
Who knew you could play Wonderland and work out? :lol:
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:21 pm

This is one of the best ideas I have ever heard.
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
RoberTime
Rainbow Seeker

Post by RoberTime » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:07 pm

Nice idea. I mean I have seen a guy play and beat Super Mario Bros using a dancepad. Also, the way I'm looking at dancepad gameplay, it would act similar to Crypt of the NecroDancer, except this isn't a rhythm game. (It's top-down and orthogonal, the same as Wonderland)
Teb020
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Teb020 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:07 pm

My feet occasionally go flying when it scares the life out of me (which is most of the time)

I have this amazing skill where I can always forget that you can kill a stinker by pushing a box into them. Every time, I jump and my legs just flutter like I'm trying to jump like Yoshi :lol:

Honestly, Wonderland is one of the few things that can consistently scare the life out of me somehow. Especially Kabooms, whenever I die from those they scare the life out of me. It's amazing how far I can jump or how much I can get scared by a fun, colorful game like Wonderland, and yet a lot of horror games are just "oh hey I died that's annoying..."

Playing with Fire and any level with electricity used to be my biggest fears. Let's just say I never made it very far in the games when I was younger! :lol:
See-ya next toim!
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:03 am

Teb020 wrote:Honestly, Wonderland is one of the few things that can consistently scare the life out of me somehow. Especially Kabooms, whenever I die from those they scare the life out of me. It's amazing how far I can jump or how much I can get scared by a fun, colorful game like Wonderland, and yet a lot of horror games are just "oh hey I died that's annoying..."
Oh yes, this happens to me too. A lot.
I hate electricity in games. It just seems like whenever something dies by electricity it seems a lot more real and horrible, like they really did get electrocuted. Something like a surprise exploding Kaboom makes me shout in shock, jump back from the monitor (which I was far too close to before) and wave my feet a bit, but it's too cartoony to be horrible.
Regular forum visitors will now kill me because I said "cartoony" which is simply a mashup of Caton and Toony.

RTW DDR level: I've got the gameplay worked out. Now I need to design the note patterns and add a way to finish the game. It would be pretty good if the music reset every time I enter the level so it would stay synced instead of needing to exit to the screen before the custom level select to clear the music, then re-enter the level. Hey, maybe we could get a mod for that?

Crypt of the NecroDancer: All I know is that it's a very good rhythm game. Can someone explain more in off-topic?
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:25 pm

A DDR mat sounds excellent - thank you for this idea!!!

I suppose it's like stepping on a giant keyboard.

Just one question: how do you change characters? Perhaps you call out loud: "Stinky", "Loof", "Qookie", "Peegue"? This is good if you are living on your own... well still there are neighbours if you play at night, but if you scream "HELP!!!!!" anyway when you are about to die...

And what about the Shift key, to look around? Perhaps touch and shift the big screen in front, but then it would be too close to look at.
Oats
Gold Wonderlander

Post by Oats » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:36 pm

For switching characters, I'd imagine it to use the space in-between the 4 directions, i.e, top-left, top-right, bottom-left, bottom-right. Each one would have a character's silhouette on it, and it would switch to them when you step on it.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:08 am

Dance pads normally have some buttons for menu navigation in the top-left and top-right. You could assign those to enter and escape to switch characters or to restart.
There's no easy or comfortable way to look around the level on pad (that I can think of). I'd just sit down in front of my laptop, take a look at the level, then stand back onto the pad and play it.
A giant keyboard I hear you say Amnon? Well that's what I hope it would be like. How do you actually make the pad control Wonderland? I don't know, but I'm actually getting a pad for Christmas, so I'll try figure something out for you.

In other news, I've released a preview of what I am now calling PPR: Peegue Peegue Revolution. (The RTW DDR level.) Why not the full level download? Because I haven't finished it yet. But I also like showing off, so that's why I've uploaded a video. Check it out: https://youtu.be/-Vj91HCiT2w
RoberTime
Rainbow Seeker

Post by RoberTime » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:28 pm

Hmm. Quite innovative level and idea. Though, I don't know if you can see the arrows coming at the right time. So perhaps it works a bit like Dragon's Lair, if you know that game. (A game with similar timing with "think-fast" arrow key moves)
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:41 pm

The window in which to press the arrow is actually quite large, maybe even 1 second. And you have at least a second's warning. I don't think it would be too difficult to win, but if you're having trouble, there's always Alt-X.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Well, my dance mat arrived, and so the obvious thing to do was to try playing Wonderland with it. Turns out, it's actually difficult. I played the first levels of the original Wonderland and failed a lot. Of course, I also recorded it for the amusement of the forum. Take a look! https://youtu.be/JABJh4Q_gWo