[Tool] Custom Content Enabler

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

[Tool] Custom Content Enabler

Post by HumanGamer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Hello,

As you may have seen in my other topic, I managed to use custom content in KrabbyQuest and other classic wonderland games.

Warning: NOT compatible with The Original Wonderland!

I have made this tool to make it easier to do Download Latest Version

Edit: Added a new version that supports all versions of the game, tested with BigFishGames and MidnightSynergy versions. If it doesn't work the old version is below.

Old Version:
Download Old Version

WonderPacker
This tool can be used to repack the res#.dat files: Download

To use WonderPacker copy all the files and folders you want to be included in the res files into an empty folder. Then copy the packer.exe into the same folder and run it. It will always make a res1 because res1 is the list of files for the other res file. Note: It will not pack exe and dat files.

Just put the CustomEnabler.exe into your wonderland folder and run it. (It may require admin privileges depending where you run it on your computer)

Then you can modify any of the files and they will change in game :)

Keep in mind that it blanks res1.dat and res2.dat, so it's a good idea to make a backup of your game in-case this program causes it to not work.

Enjoy!

~ Matt
Last edited by HumanGamer on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

I was previously known as cooldudepoke.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:05 pm

Thanks for the tool! :D

However there are also other missing graphics and sound files in the other res files such as res31.dat for RTW, which is one of the sounds Stinky makes while on a trampoline.
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:11 pm

jdl wrote:Thanks for the tool! :D

However there are also other missing graphics and sound files in the other res files such as res31.dat for RTW, which is one of the sounds Stinky makes while on a trampoline.
I haven't looked into the other res files as I assumed that they were just renamed to *.dat and not archives. I'll look into it when I have time. :)
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Cooldudepoke wrote:I have made this tool to make it easier to do Download Latest Version

Edit: Added a new version that supports all versions of the game, tested with BigFishGames and MidnightSynergy versions. If it doesn't work the old version is below.
I updated the program. :)
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

Mark
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Thank you Matt for sending me the new "Custom Enabler" and helping me out with Big Fish's res9 situation. :)
Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to create a custom level using models from "Secret World"...
Attachments
SWS Models.jpg
SWS Models.jpg (137.75 KiB) Viewed 24071 times
Mark
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:50 pm

Mark wrote:Thank you Matt for sending me the new "Custom Enabler" and helping me out with Big Fish's res9 situation. :)
Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to create a custom level using models from "Secret World"...
that's amazing! :O
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:55 pm

That picture looks amazing, honestly.

Seriously, though, this is almost like an evolutionary time period for Wonderland; It's bizarre. :shock:

First POTZ, then Command 4, and now, this!
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:02 pm

I was thinking the same thing. :lol:
Mark
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Another thing I did was replace the Kaboom and Chomper files with a Stinky.bmp and Stinky.md2 and watch them walk around like deadly robots. :lol:
Mark
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:15 pm

Unfortunately the first Wonderland does not want to run after the extraction process for me. All I get is a "couldn't load md2: graphics\stinky.md2" even though it's in there. :lol:

RTW, WSW, and Krabby Quest work fine with this though.
dig 222
Rainbow Star

Post by dig 222 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Great job with this! :)
You are the new Jafo1015. :lol:
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:16 pm

jdl wrote:Unfortunately the first Wonderland does not want to run after the extraction process for me. All I get is a "couldn't load md2: graphics\stinky.md2" even though it's in there. :lol:

RTW, WSW, and Krabby Quest work fine with this though.
Which site did you buy it on? There were issues with BigFishGames but I fixed it.

Also are the jpgs viewable?

Edit: I just tried it. Same result. Let me see if I can fix it :)

Edit: I might need to make a res#.dat packer to use TOW. I don't feel like making the program right now...I'm sure everyone can wait, I mean look at what you can do now :P

~ Matt
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:05 pm

I've messed with the editor graphics so they would be easier to use with Krabby Quest. Blackboxes with a red x on them are incompatible with Krabby Quest fyi.

Also not all of the decorative objects are finished in this.
Attachments
objectsv5b.bmp
Put this in editor graphics and overwrite (make a backup)
objectsv5b.bmp (67.55 KiB) Viewed 23977 times
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:57 am

Are you sure what you're doing is legal, have you checked with Patrick? I made those models for Secret Worlds and I had to sign an agreement that I wouldn't use them for anything else once they were in Patrick's possession, and I presume that also meant using them in custom levels. Same goes for the Krabby Quest thing. Patrick made the game, yes, but under licence to some TV company (Nickleodeon I think, whoever made Sponge Bob) so in essence you'd need their permission to use the content. Just don't want you to end up breaching copyright laws, that's all. :)
Pauline
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:19 am

I made those models for Secret Worlds and I had to sign an agreement that I wouldn't use them for anything else once they were in Patrick's possession
Well, you didn't. You haven't broken the agreement.
Same goes for the Krabby Quest thing. Patrick made the game, yes, but under licence to some TV company (Nickleodeon I think, whoever made Sponge Bob) so in essence you'd need their permission to use the content.
Considering that the game isn't even there on Patrick's website (it can still be bought on Big Fish, I think, but that's it) I don't think Nick knows or cares about this forum.

Technically, it could fall under "reverse engineering", but so would figuring out the LV6 format to hex-edit levels.

(Of course, if Patrick says "no" to any of this, we should remove whatever he says "no" to.)
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:27 am

I know I haven't broken the agreement but I presumed it meant they weren't to be used for anything else, by anyone, otherwise I could have put them on a site for download. It may be fine if they're only being used in a Wonderland game, but it would have been better to ask first, don't you think?

The Krabby Quest game has never been on the Midnight Synergy site as far as I know, but I know he made it under licence and I presume that meant, as with the Secret Worlds custom stuff, that once he'd been paid for making it he had no rights over it, so making the models available in a Wonderland game would breach this.

I don't know for sure, I'm just guessing, but surely it's best to make sure first isn't it. Better safe than sorry, and all that. And it shows consideration. :wink:
Pauline
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:39 am

I don't see any problems with it, but the decision should be Patrick's, not ours. So I sent a PM to Patrick right now. You're right, popo, asking first would've been great.
The Krabby Quest game has never been on the Midnight Synergy site as far as I know
I think it used to be on Midnight Synergy's site a long time ago. At least the online solutions are still there.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:46 am

There are online solutions for Krabby Quest? That's news to me. I'm sure I still have a couple of levels to complete, I'll have to have a look. Thanks for the info Muzo. :D
Pauline
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:59 am

Muzozavr wrote:I don't see any problems with it, but the decision should be Patrick's, not ours. So I sent a PM to Patrick right now. You're right, popo, asking first would've been great.
My apologies for not asking first. I'll await Patrick's reply before I continue. Let me know :)

~ Matt
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:03 pm

I updated the main post with a packer. We still don't have permission from Patrick to modify the files, but uploading the packer should not be a problem I don't think.
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:17 am

Hmm... interesting situation.

The WSW models I have no problems with. Popo is right, there are agreements in place, but these are primarily so that people don't grab them and make their own (completely different) games with them. I am fine in having them appear for use in custom levels, that's in the spirit of the custom community. Under the same conditions as everything else in this forum: custom models are for the forum only, and must be provided to other members free of charge.

The Krabby Quest stuff is a bit more tricky. I'm not sure who actually has the rights to the assets - I'd have to look carefully into the contracts again. The game is many years old now, but sometimes companies can get very protective about their assets.

I would think that limited use of such assets is fine. I.e. if a model makes a guest appearance in a user made custom level, that would likely fall under fair use copyright rules. However, any kind of large scale projects (esp full scale level reproductions of the full game) are a definite no-no! So please proceed with that in mind.

Thanks!
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:58 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:Hmm... interesting situation.

The WSW models I have no problems with. Popo is right, there are agreements in place, but these are primarily so that people don't grab them and make their own (completely different) games with them. I am fine in having them appear for use in custom levels, that's in the spirit of the custom community. Under the same conditions as everything else in this forum: custom models are for the forum only, and must be provided to other members free of charge.

The Krabby Quest stuff is a bit more tricky. I'm not sure who actually has the rights to the assets - I'd have to look carefully into the contracts again. The game is many years old now, but sometimes companies can get very protective about their assets.

I would think that limited use of such assets is fine. I.e. if a model makes a guest appearance in a user made custom level, that would likely fall under fair use copyright rules. However, any kind of large scale projects (esp full scale level reproductions of the full game) are a definite no-no! So please proceed with that in mind.

Thanks!
Thanks for the info Patrick :)
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:24 pm

It's nice to know that at least some of the things are ok to carry on with because it'd be a shame to waste all that talent. You really are a very clever bunch on here these days. 8) :D
Pauline
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:30 pm

Just discovered that the extractor also works with Frazzled, though it's a bit more complicated.

Unlike the Wonderland games and Krabby Quest, this game stores most of its data in res3.dat and has the file names and offsets in res2.dat. So you'll need to rename res2.dat to res1.dat.

Also, the extractor refuses to extract an archive that's smaller than 5 MB. Since res3.dat is a bit smaller than that, you'll need to increase its size by adding a lot of garbage data to it with a text editor like Notepad. This won't affect the output at all.
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:21 pm

Kilicool64 wrote:Just discovered that the extractor also works with Frazzled, though it's a bit more complicated.

Unlike the Wonderland games and Krabby Quest, this game stores most of its data in res3.dat and has the file names and offsets in res2.dat. So you'll need to rename res2.dat to res1.dat.

Also, the extractor refuses to extract an archive that's smaller than 5 MB. Since res3.dat is a bit smaller than that, you'll need to increase its size by adding a lot of garbage data to it with a text editor like Notepad. This won't affect the output at all.
The extractor looks for the largest .dat to extract, so it might work if you just copy the 2 dat files to a different folder and extract it there. :)
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:45 pm

cooldudepoke wrote:
Kilicool64 wrote:Just discovered that the extractor also works with Frazzled, though it's a bit more complicated.

The extractor looks for the largest .dat to extract, so it might work if you just copy the 2 dat files to a different folder and extract it there. :)
That's what I did. The program complained that it couldn't find a .dat file with a size of at least 5 MB.
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:34 am

cooldudepoke, could you give me the source for packer and unpacker I need them for my own packing and unpacking my own game pack format.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:15 am

Caton wrote:...packing and unpacking my own game pack format.
Interesting. Are you working on some kind of Wonderland remake? Will this one get finished?
Second, in the spirit of open-source goodness, community contributions, and all that, why not use an existing open-source compression algorithm instead of creating your own, possibly buggy and very likely inefficient, packing format? The only reason I can think of to create your own format is a form of obfuscation - so people don't go inspecting the contents of various files. Like MS tried to do with .res and .dat files. It seems you have an interest in open-source stuff, so why are you making a proprietary format?
As I already said, there are many, many open-source lossless compression algorithms and programs already out there, that are likely more efficient and less buggy than anything we could come up with. Here's a few of my favourites: gzip (fast compression), bzip (better compression but slightly slower), 7z (customisable compression settings), tar (merges files into a single uncompressed tarball), ogg vorbis (lossy audio), and of course good old Zip (old, unsure of license).
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Sorry, I lost the source code for the tools.

But I still have the source code for a wonderland remake that I worked on. and it should support the res.dat files if I remember correctly.

It's based directly on the original wonderland as seen in IDA.

I'm no longer working on this project, however.
Attachments
WonderlandRemake-source.zip
(12.25 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:33 pm

MS should have encrypted the data pack format.
you know what's funny super granny 2\winter wonderland\3 is the same format except it is res1.dat and res2.dat all together name as grannydata00.dat