Can't run any RTW with chompers?

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

maxnick
Rainbow Master

Can't run any RTW with chompers?

Post by maxnick » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:01 pm

I get a memory access violation in Return to Wonderland Platinum Edition when I start the level "Introducing 'chomper'". I also messed around trying to make it crash with a custom level (to isolate the problem) and it does seem to crash on any level that includes a chomper. No other enemies or objects seem to cause it to crash.

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a 2009 MacBook, so it's kind of a weird set up, but I was still wondering if anybody had experienced something similar or had any idea on how I could fix this.

(Also, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post technical problems. I couldn't find anywhere better but I might be missing something obvious?)
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:46 am

Nice to see you again on the forums, Maxnick!

I can only assume one of the files has been corrupted and the game can't load Chompers because of that. And, I don't think it has anything with using Bootcamp. I had a similar setup and I had no problems at all. Try reinstalling the game if you have the installer, or if not contact MS for a replacement copy (assuming you bought it from his website).
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks for your reply Garirry. I have the Midnight Synergy Games Collection disk and I tried reinstalling but it didn't work. :(

Also, I probably should have mentioned this before but my sound drivers don't work for some reason, I'm going to try to get that fixed and see if that changes anything.
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:48 am

Alright, I reinstalled XP and Bootcamp and got it working.

(If anyone in the future is having a similar problem and reading this, I noticed that sometimes the Add New Hardware wizard won't see the drivers on the OS X install disc right away, but if you make it check a few times it will eventually find it? I don't know what happened really, but that might help.)
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:23 pm

>XP

I think you've found your problem right there.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:26 pm

tyteen4a03 wrote:>XP

I dunno, XP still runs all Wonderland games just fine.

Also, you may want to upgrade to XP Service Pack 3. It probably won't do anything, but you might as well get it.
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:53 pm

tyteen4a03 wrote:>XP

Nah, it's the only version I have access to, and besides I don't really care as long as it can run Wonderland and maybe a few other random games.

Weren't there compatibility issues with Wonderland and other versions of Windows anyway?
garirry wrote:Also, you may want to upgrade to XP Service Pack 3. It probably won't do anything, but you might as well get it.
Maybe, I'll look into it I guess.
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:52 am

Yeah, XP SP3 fixes a lot of graphics issues in multiple games, so you should start with that. However, you should really look into upgrading to Windows 10 when it comes out; it'll be very cheap (for many people, as low as $5), and it has the best general compatibility of any Windows version I've used. You can download the developer preview for free; it's a bit buggy, but functions beautifully and has a lot of great features.
she/her | Sayori#2285
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:11 am

~xpr'd~ wrote:Yeah, XP SP3 fixes a lot of graphics issues in multiple games, so you should start with that. However, you should really look into upgrading to Windows 10 when it comes out; it'll be very cheap (for many people, as low as $5), and it has the best general compatibility of any Windows version I've used. You can download the developer preview for free; it's a bit buggy, but functions beautifully and has a lot of great features.
Windows 10 will be available for free for legal copies of Windows 7 and 8.1, and I'm sure it'll cost the typical $120 otherwise. I don't think it's worth for him to upgrade to 10 on his computer though. Windows 7 ran like [beep] on my 2008 MacBook.

And a little bit of off-topic, there was a new build that was released for W10 a few days ago, it pretty much fixes most of the things I disliked in the previous build. I think I decided that I will upgrade once it releases.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:18 am

garirry wrote:Windows 7
garirry wrote:2008 MacBook.
There's your problem.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Qloof234 wrote:
garirry wrote:Windows 7
garirry wrote:2008 MacBook.
There's your problem.
Yeah, that kinda was my point. Considering that Windows 7 ran horribly on Boot Camp on my Macbook, I don't think it's worth upgrading to Windows 10 for him (even though his model is one year newer).
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:28 pm

A clean install of Windows 10 uses less system resources XP and any version after that. However, I think any more debate about Windows versions deserves its own topic in Off-Topic, to stop from cluttering this one up.
she/her | Sayori#2285