Making our own editors

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

StinkyFTW
Rainbow Seeker

Making our own editors

Post by StinkyFTW » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:20 am

So, I've been doing a side project, and I've kinda made my own editor. A.K.A I've swapped all the textures out with my own, and I use them on levels that I don't release. I am not going to release my textures because that is just how I feel, and it has been brought up before that we are technically close to making our own editors, so I thought; "Hey, what if people had enough textures, different musics, ETC. and decided to share their editor to the website. It would be cool, that's all I'm saying
OH GOD. :mrgreen:
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:01 am

If there are no assets from the canon editor I don't see why not. You may want to send out PM requests to people who you think can help you on getting programming and modelling done though.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:29 am

StinkyFTW: I am not sure what you are trying to say. I don't understand.
If you need help programming or modelling, I would like to be a part of that. I enjoy programming, and I kind of know how models work. I was actually starting on developing my own editor, although it's probably not what you're imagining. Currently, it runs in the Linux command line and can print out some of the tiles from a .LV6 file. Uh huh.
Anyhow, I'd like to feel useful by doing something for your project.
VirtLands
Rainbow Master

Re: Making our own editors

Post by VirtLands » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:08 pm

StinkyFTW wrote: . . . so I thought; "Hey, what if people had enough textures, different musics, ETC. and decided to share their editor to the website. It would be cool, that's all I'm saying

I think that's an excellent idea to create user editors, (maybe for the future).

U.F.O. = Unidentified Flying Object
U.U.E. = Unidentified User Editor.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:40 am

I feel like the best things to include in a custom editor would be the ability to easily select blocks of tiles and move them. More undo steps would be handy, and being able to quickly select the tile category you want (instead of clicking the arrow at least 10 times until you see the right page) is an absolute must!
I'm currently making a kind of test program in VB6. It won't have the ability to read the .LV6 files because I don't know what all the hex codes are. It would be nice if there was a website that listed them. Is there one?
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:32 pm

I made a clone of the RTW editor awhile ago :)
http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26896
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

I was previously known as cooldudepoke.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:54 am

I think another useful thing to have in an editor is for an easier way to manage custom textures, models and music. A good thing to would be a script that can take custom textures and rename and move them to the right folders for the RTW player to use (as well as displaying them correctly in the editor unlike the RTW editor), and for the music, a tool which can copy the built-in music to a spare directory and replace the original files with custom music. Of course, it will be able to restore the original as well, for playing normal levels.
My point is though, it should be able to do this automagically; so we could put all the assets into a ZIP file for distribution on the forums. Then, opening the ZIP in the editor will unzip it, put the level in the right place, textures in the right place and copy the music and replace it, all in one click! If someone could do that, that would be actually very cool. I don't know if VB6 can do it, but I'll certainly try!
(Also well done to cooldudepoke for besting me yet again :wink:)