A Midnight Synergy Update

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Re: A Midnight Synergy Update

Post by Lazy Loof » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 am

Yes, its not important, but the reason was my upload speed.
But now the upload speed is okay. :)
Previously known as Aryan101
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:48 pm

These things can also be hosted here by me, just like I posted mette's previous archive.
Cyndanera
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Cyndanera » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:49 am

are there any plans to develop the wonderland games for other platforms?
Cheers, Cyndanera
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:44 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:48 pm
These things can also be hosted here by me, just like I posted mette's previous archive.
Thanks. But let me release a final version of the archive (lol a Wonderland archive is never final :stinkylol: )

Anyways,
I am actually deciding to include a manual for the editor along with the archive that can include upgraded tutorials for the newbies.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:18 pm

I've doing some work looking through old source files and re-compiling some of them for updated windows compatability.

Here's a little bonus - I know some of you can't run the old stinky test version from the previous CD anymore. I think this new one will work... just place into the install folder of the previous file.
Attachments
gametest.zip
(673.48 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
Cyndanera
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Cyndanera » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:24 pm

The new one works thanks patrick, but the music doesn't play
Cheers, Cyndanera
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Right, I forgot, rename the music file "placeholder.xm"
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Here are the two tutorials I created. I am just wanting you all to check is that okay for newbies.
Attachments
Tut2.zip
Tutorial 2
(739.26 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Tut1.zip
Tutorial 1
(503.18 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Nice!

I have some tutorial files written that I found on my HD, but I can't remember what I had already shared/uploaded. Boy, it's been a while. I'll have to check through them...

I also tried to update (starting with Wonderland) to a re-compile with the latest Blitz version. Unfortunately, while it does get rid of the Windows 10 issue where some computers have to turn on legacy features (not a problem, but a minor inconvenience), it does introduce other bugs and random crashes. No idea why - source code is the same. So I'm going to have to abandon that idea and leave the Wonderland games at the stage that they were at last.

I will still have a look at Intensity XS and Frazzled to see if something can be done there to increase compatability.
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:24 pm

That's unfortunate to hear. Seems like Blitz3D's developers didn't go a very good job at maintaining backwards compatibility.

Here's hoping the Intensity duology doesn't have similar issues. It could really use an update. I don't think it works on Windows 10 at all. Same with Colony.
Cyndanera
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Cyndanera » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Colony, I think the 2d games were written in c++\c
and ms you recompile the games made with c++\c using visual studio 2017 it's free
Cheers, Cyndanera
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:28 pm

I'm going to briefly hijack this topic to talk about Wine.

Wine is a so-called "compatibility layer" that allows you to run Windows EXE files on Linux. I use Linux and Wine to play the Wonderland games.

As you might expect, it's not perfect, but fortunately the Wonderland games happen to run flawlessly. Well, most of them.

The classic trilogy works flawlessly. WA1 works, but the lamp and glow-gem don't light up. (Maybe this has been fixed since I last tried.) MOFI works, and the glow-gem works in that. The legacy WA editor works. However, POTZ and the new editor do not work. The editor's player starts, but everything — the title screen, menus, and adventures themselves — all operate at 2-3 seconds per frame. The editor's editor starts, but you can't get past the "enter username" screen.

It's strange to me that WA2 works but WA3 does not. Any ideas why this might be? And any chance of tracking down what's causing the problem and doing something about it? If not, I understand.

Ninja edit: Frazzled and Colony work in Wine. IXS/Recharge do not even start.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:19 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:11 pm
I also tried to update (starting with Wonderland) to a re-compile with the latest Blitz version. Unfortunately, while it does get rid of the Windows 10 issue where some computers have to turn on legacy features (not a problem, but a minor inconvenience), it does introduce other bugs and random crashes. No idea why - source code is the same. So I'm going to have to abandon that idea and leave the Wonderland games at the stage that they were at last.
I understand. Once, I managed to insert RTW's Blitz code into latest Blitz3D runtime by following instructions here. It worked, but while I was playing my first level (Stormy Day), the game hanged, and Windows closed it automatically.
cloudrac3r wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:28 pm
I'm going to briefly hijack this topic to talk about Wine.

Wine is a so-called "compatibility layer" that allows you to run Windows EXE files on Linux. I use Linux and Wine to play the Wonderland games.

As you might expect, it's not perfect, but fortunately the Wonderland games happen to run flawlessly. Well, most of them.

The classic trilogy works flawlessly. WA1 works, but the lamp and glow-gem don't light up. (Maybe this has been fixed since I last tried.) MOFI works, and the glow-gem works in that. The legacy WA editor works. However, POTZ and the new editor do not work. The editor's player starts, but everything — the title screen, menus, and adventures themselves — all operate at 2-3 seconds per frame. The editor's editor starts, but you can't get past the "enter username" screen.

It's strange to me that WA2 works but WA3 does not. Any ideas why this might be? And any chance of tracking down what's causing the problem and doing something about it? If not, I understand.

Ninja edit: Frazzled and Colony work in Wine. IXS/Recharge do not even start.

I will still have a look at Intensity XS and Frazzled to see if something can be done there to increase compatability.
WA3 and its editor are debug compiled. I contacted Patrick about this, he told that there for some reason it only worked compiled in debug (possibly Z-bots :stinkylol: ). Maybe, this is the cause. :stinkyconfused:
You can try running it in VM.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:45 pm

Another frustrating day, but with partial success.

Tried recompiling Intensity code for newer machines. No go. My old Visual C 6.0 (which is what it was written on) doesn't even start on newer computers. Worked a long time on getting Visual Studio 2017 up and running, finally got the code in it, had to fix up the obvious compiler errors for all the cpp files, and when it finally did compile, my computer crashed like I never saw it crash before. :stinkyeek: :stinkyeek:

This is unfortunately a dead end. I guess I couldn't expect to just rebuild 20 year old code without major work on it. So all of the game versions will remain the same.

However, I did find a way to run Intensity XS (and I assume Colony and ReCharge) on Windows 10, using a program called dxWnd. I'll have to write up some details, but it definitely works. So now all of the MS games are playable on Windows 10, which is a good thing!
WonderlandFan
Silver Wonderlander

Post by WonderlandFan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:27 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 pm
I've also been looking through the boards a little bit. Has anyone done an updated collection of all the custom levels/content/adventures (both for classic and WA)... kinda like keeping Mette's collection up to date? If so, let me know if you'd be willing to share it. I would be interested in both hosting it for free on the main website, but also using it for the next collection CD.
Funny you say that, do you intend to publically release the house textures and models exclusive to WSW for us to use in the RTW editor?
Wondeland fan and speedrunner. :stinkyhappy:
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:00 am

WonderlandFan wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:27 am
Midnight Synergy wrote:
I've also been looking through the boards a little bit. Has anyone done an updated collection of all the custom levels/content/adventures (both for classic and WA)... kinda like keeping Mette's collection up to date? If so, let me know if you'd be willing to share it. I would be interested in both hosting it for free on the main website, but also using it for the next collection CD.
Funny you say that, do you intend to publically release the house textures and models exclusive to WSW for us to use in the RTW editor?
I possibly could. Are they not already available... i.e. did nobody hack them out of the resource files yet?
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:00 am
WonderlandFan wrote:
Midnight Synergy wrote:
I possibly could. Are they not already available... i.e. did nobody hack them out of the resource files yet?
You can currently use them using cooldudepoke's Custom Content Enabler for RTW, but it would be nice to have them "officially" released. (Maybe we could have WA3-compatible versions of the models?)

As a side note, you have commented on this yourself, but it was a few years ago.
Midnight Synergy wrote:
Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:17 am
Hmm... interesting situation.

The WSW models I have no problems with. Popo is right, there are agreements in place, but these are primarily so that people don't grab them and make their own (completely different) games with them. I am fine in having them appear for use in custom levels, that's in the spirit of the custom community. Under the same conditions as everything else in this forum: custom models are for the forum only, and must be provided to other members free of charge.
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:49 am

Aryan101 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:19 am
WA3 and its editor are debug compiled. I contacted Patrick about this, he told that there for some reason it only worked compiled in debug (possibly Z-bots :stinkylol: ). Maybe, this is the cause. :stinkyconfused:
You can try running it in VM.
Oooooooh. Thank you for letting me know. I haven't tried running it in a VM yet, I guess that's next on the list.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:21 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:
WonderlandFan wrote:
Midnight Synergy wrote:
I used Custom Enabler to get those models (I needed spookywalls model for my upcoming level). About distributing them, if there is permission (since they are from full game WSW).
Cyndanera
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Cyndanera » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:49 pm

Don't you have the original models patrick?
Cheers, Cyndanera
WonderlandFan
Silver Wonderlander

Post by WonderlandFan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 am

FinnThor wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 am
Midnight Synergy wrote:
WonderlandFan wrote:

You can currently use them using cooldudepoke's Custom Content Enabler for RTW, but it would be nice to have them "officially" released. (Maybe we could have WA3-compatible versions of the models?)

As a side note, you have commented on this yourself, but it was a few years ago.
Midnight Synergy wrote:

The WSW models I have no problems with. Popo is right, there are agreements in place, but these are primarily so that people don't grab them and make their own (completely different) games with them. I am fine in having them appear for use in custom levels, that's in the spirit of the custom community. Under the same conditions as everything else in this forum: custom models are for the forum only, and must be provided to other members free of charge.
What is the output directory of the extracted files of said custom content enabler?
Wondeland fan and speedrunner. :stinkyhappy:
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:20 am

WonderlandFan wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 am
FinnThor wrote:
Midnight Synergy wrote:

Midnight Synergy wrote:

What is the output directory of the extracted files of said custom content enabler?
I have no idea, but that's probably because I haven't used the CCE before. :P
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 pm

WonderlandFan wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 am
FinnThor wrote:
Midnight Synergy wrote:

Midnight Synergy wrote:

The directory where packer is run from.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:31 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 pm
On another note, I've been going through old old files to dig out some interesting bonus material. I found one version of WA so far that will blow you guys away - it's an early take with a very different gameplay mechanic. Most of my time so far has actually been spent trying to find a suitable blitz3d version that will properly compile... but I think I may have found it finally.
Quoting myself, but I just realized that I had actually posted a similar version of that prototype in the Midnight Post. Oops. Still, this one is a bit different, and there will be four other prototypes showing some very very _very_ early builds.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:30 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:45 pm
Worked a long time on getting Visual Studio 2017 up and running, finally got the code in it, had to fix up the obvious compiler errors for all the cpp files, and when it finally did compile, my computer crashed like I never saw it crash before. :stinkyeek: :stinkyeek:
You're describing my job.

(I may have massively exaggerated there)
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Cyndanera
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Cyndanera » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Patrick what forums software did you used for your old forum? I found the old site in the webarchive

midnightsynergy.community.everyone.net - website no longer works
Cheers, Cyndanera
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:17 pm

phpBB 2 before the update, and phpBB 3 now I believe.
Cyndanera
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Cyndanera » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:02 pm

Cheers, Cyndanera
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Must have been phpbb2 - I don't think I ever used another forum. I'm surprised it's on that old page already, I thought I only activated it once Wonderland came out.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:02 pm

In the old page, I found the game named "Operation Carnage". Is it available? I know it won't work on Windows 10, but can on a VM.