Windows 10

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by Midnight Synergy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:52 pm

So in part of updating the site and putting together stuff for the next collection CD, I'm also looking at compatability issues.

Windows 10 - what are your experiences?

So far, for me, I can get all the games to run without problem, but I first had to enable DirectPlay
(see https://windowsreport.com/enable-directplay-windows-10/)

This is on a system with a GeForce video card.

Any other suggestions, tricks, etc that you had to do to run your games on newer PCs?
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10

Post by Midnight Synergy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:52 pm

Oh and I just saw this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27601
(haven't spent much time on the forum lately, obviously)
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:41 pm

As a user of Windows 10, I can run all the games perfectly. I don't experience any issues or anything like that. I have an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 as my graphics card.
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:55 am

My suggestion is to use gaming mode in Windows 10:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/game-mode-in-windows-10(note that the screenshots are not of the latest update of Windows 10)

Also, if you have black borders around the games in Intel(R) HD Graphics here's the fix:
1) Press Windows + R key and type "ms-settings:display" and press enter. This will open display options in Settings app.
2) Set your resolution to any resolution other than your monitor's native resolution.
3) Click on "Advanced Display Options" and select "Display Adapter Propertied for Display 1"
4) Click on "Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel"
5) In Scaling, select "Scale Fullscreen" in the drop down list.
6) Click OK and close all windows and launch the game to test.

But, I have a issue that is present in ALL THE GAMES THAT WERE CREATED WITH BLITZ3D. This issue is from when I installed April 2018 update:
Whenever I launch any game in fullscreen, it is black screen for sometime and then the game starts. And the game works nicely as it is. However, when it is exited same black screen occurs and then the desktop. I have also seen that in between the game, whenever I minimize the game (by pressing ALT + TAB or Windows key) same black screen occurs and then the desktop.
I think what happens is that the Blitz Runtime tries to change the screen resolution, but somehow there's a delay in this process, or the runtime waits for something that is delayed.
Anyways, is anyone else having this issue on Intel(R) HD Graphics? Except this, the game works well. :?
Previously known as Aryan101
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:51 am

The black screen is your monitor taking a moment to change resolutions. You can fix this by setting your desktop's native resolution to the same as the player/editor. Or you could not use fullscreen. :P
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:42 pm

cloudrac3r wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:51 am
The black screen is your monitor taking a moment to change resolutions. You can fix this by setting your desktop's native resolution to the same as the player/editor. Or you could not use fullscreen. :P
No, the black screen I see when my monitor changes the resolution is completely black. But the black screen occurring is not too black. You can say it dark grey. It is like that, a console application is running but it is devoid of any text output. :?
And one more thing to say, I didn't had this issue in 1709, only in 1803.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:30 am

I've replayed through the entire Wonderland and WA trilogies last November and January respectively on Windows 10 on default settings and everything went fine. For the record, this was on an integrated graphics chip (Intel HD 4600). Just recently I finally got myself a dedicated graphics card (a GTX 1050 ti) which I didn't install yet. If I don't post about it within the next month or so, it probably means that it's working flawlessly.
Aryan101 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:42 pm
No, the black screen I see when my monitor changes the resolution is completely black. But the black screen occurring is not too black. You can say it dark grey. It is like that, a console application is running but it is devoid of any text output. :?
What you described is that the screen output is black but the backlight on your monitor is still on (creating a sort-of blue-ish effect, some monitors also "leak" onto the four corners). Unless I'm mistaken, if the backlight stays on while the resolution changes it means that your GPU is changing to whatever resolution the content is, and then upscaling it to the default resolution, so that the monitor doesn't need to change resolutions. If the backlight turns off for a few seconds, generally it means that your computer actually changes the output resolution to match the source, and the monitor has to turn off for a couple of seconds to readjust.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:36 am

garirry wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:30 am
I've replayed through the entire Wonderland and WA trilogies last November and January respectively on Windows 10 on default settings and everything went fine. For the record, this was on an integrated graphics chip (Intel HD 4600). Just recently I finally got myself a dedicated graphics card (a GTX 1050 ti) which I didn't install yet. If I don't post about it within the next month or so, it probably means that it's working flawlessly.
Aryan101 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:42 pm
What you described is that the screen output is black but the backlight on your monitor is still on (creating a sort-of blue-ish effect, some monitors also "leak" onto the four corners). Unless I'm mistaken, if the backlight stays on while the resolution changes it means that your GPU is changing to whatever resolution the content is, and then upscaling it to the default resolution, so that the monitor doesn't need to change resolutions. If the backlight turns off for a few seconds, generally it means that your computer actually changes the output resolution to match the source, and the monitor has to turn off for a couple of seconds to readjust.
Oh! But why it didn't happen in old build? It only happens in new build of Windows 10 (the April 2018 update). And this only happens with games made with Blitz3D. It doesn't happens with other games, even when they change resolution lower than my monitor's native resolution.
I believe that you tested the games in old build, not the new one. Anyone else tested in the new build?
Anyways, except this, all the Wonderland games work smoothly at 60 FPS.

EDIT: I created a Blitz3D program which used my monitor's native resolution in fullscreen. What I found is that monitor doesn't changed the resolution, but the that dark grey screen was still there. I believe that once a Blitz3D game is fullscreen, something causes it to wait. I'll look into that.
ILoveWonderland
Rainbow Master

Post by ILoveWonderland » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:34 am

I'm playing through the games again on Windows 10. It is mostly fine for me, with two exceptions:

1) The RTW editor suffers from extreme lag to the point where it is nearly unusable.
2) The original WA gave me memory access violations as soon as tried to make an input (such as clicking the mouse). However I was easily able to fix this by running it in compatibility mode as Windows XP.

My computer system is a 64-bit operating system with a x64-based processor (the processor is an AMD A10-9620P RADEON R5, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G 2.50 GHZ). As far as I can tell, there are no other issues - the original trilogy, MOFI, and the original WA editor and player have worked fine (I haven't tried POTZ yet). If I come across any other issues, I'll let you know.

Edit: This may not be a Windows 10 issue, but when I try to run the prototype Wonderland included on the extras of the original disc, I get an error saying that it couldn't load conveyors.jpg.
Insert stupid jokes here.
Cyndanera
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Cyndanera » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:35 am

That's because beta wonderland was made with a old blitz3d version
Cheers, Cyndanera
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:04 pm

EDITED 13 Jun 2018

WA trilogy works fine. It is even possible to use DirectX wrapper to render it on newer GPUs but there seem to be some problems with nVidia Optimus. I use dgVoodoo2 (http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html) with GeForce GTX 1060 but the tricky part was to set my integrated GPU as the adapter then set GTX 1060 as the preferred one in Optimus settings panel. Setting GTX 1060 as the target adapter didn't enable it at all. All the settings in the Optimus panel are ignored and dgVoodoo2 DirectX settings apply. 16x antialiasing doesn't work with WA trilogy ('Unable to create 3D scene' error) and the highest one working is 8x. In my opinion texture filtering doesn't look any good so I don't use it.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
ILoveWonderland
Rainbow Master

Post by ILoveWonderland » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:45 am

I've found another problem with RTW for Windows 10. If a custom house texture is not 256 X 256 pixels, the game gives me an error message when I begin a level using the house texture saying the file can't be found (even if the file exists), followed by the game closing. It's possible that the same principle applies to backgrounds and textures, though I haven't checked.

Edit: I'm also getting the same issue with some (though strangely not all) custom model textures. I have to change the size to 256 X 256 pixels in order for the level to run properly. Also, running the game in compatibility mode doesn't seem to work unfortunately, only changing the image size will. This isn't ideal though, since changing the texture size can cause them to look blurry
Insert stupid jokes here.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 am

ILoveWonderland wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:45 am
I've found another problem with RTW for Windows 10. If a custom house texture is not 256 X 256 pixels, the game gives me an error message when I begin a level using the house texture saying the file can't be found (even if the file exists), followed by the game closing. It's possible that the same principle applies to backgrounds and textures, though I haven't checked.

Edit: I'm also getting the same issue with some (though strangely not all) custom model textures. I have to change the size to 256 X 256 pixels in order for the level to run properly. Also, running the game in compatibility mode doesn't seem to work unfortunately, only changing the image size will. This isn't ideal though, since changing the texture size can cause them to look blurry
I believe it's no-power-of-two texture bug. The game could load only those textures which are sized to nothing but power of two (e.g 64x64, 64x128, 128x128 etc). According to me, it occurs on all modern computers with Windows OS.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Black Screen Issue Fixed!

Post by Lazy Loof » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Bump.

I have now managed to fix this black screen issue now (although I am late now, since it is already fixed in 1809 build).
I am 100% sure that this problem was not of the monitor (as cloudrac3r and garirry mentioned)

I actually installed AVG Free Edition as I got a thought installing it could fix the problem. I installed it and added my Wonderland games folder to the exception list. Now I started WA Editor first for testing. I tested the player. At first, it was same old black screen on beginning and then on the end. I was initially disappointed. But then I restarted the player (don't know why :lol: ) and guess what? THE BLACK SCREEN GONE!!! And forever!
Then I got some hopes and then tried MOFI. At first it was same black screen on start and end (one I had initially with WA Player). But when I restarted it, that black screen gone away forever.
Now one by one I did that with all the Wonderland games and the black screen ran away every time!

I think now got how that all was fixed - AVG has a feature known as Do not disturb mode which stops some services to let your games play without any troubles. When you run a fullscreen game for sometime, AVG automatically adds it to the Do not disturb apps list. There was probably any program or service which causes this issue, but AVG stops it so the games function properly. And yes, I can be sure that Blitz3D loves this mode, as I got a nice performance improvement with this. This can also be the reason why RoberTime and FinnThor were not having this issue, as they were also using AVG Free Edition.

Thumbs up for the AVG team! :stinkyhappy:
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:16 pm

Finally I've got the root cause and solution for that black screen issue, no need to install AVG now.

Simply go to Settings -> System -> Focus Assist and turn it off for games. Now that black screen will be gone forever from all the Blitz3D games.