A bit of trickery in Secret Worlds...

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

A bit of trickery in Secret Worlds...

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:55 am

So I was testing out high scoring in "Kaboom! Cave" (5880, I think it's possible to do a bit better but the best strats on this specific level are really difficult and unforgiving) when I realized a certain peculiarity about the layout.

A little bit of testing and... done. :wink:

It's pretty simple, actually. You just use both characters to stuff all the boxes through the white teleporter. The cannon makes it a bit hair-raising, but it's still very doable.
Attachments
kaboom_cave_no_keys.png
Look, Ma! No keys!
kaboom_cave_no_keys.png (776.57 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Re: A bit of trickery in Secret Worlds...

Post by Lazy Loof » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:36 pm

Wow, this is a quick way to complete the level. :)
Previously known as Aryan101
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:32 pm

Wait... WAIT... Muzozavr, you did WHAT?!?!?!?!?! I... I'm speechless. You never cease to amaze me.

Edit: Wait, I just had a thought. Can you get all Bonus Coins this way and zero keys? And if so, does it count the level as Gold?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:22 pm

I haven't tested, but it might count as gold. I already did it normally as gold, so... even if it would count, I wouldn't know. Getting to that point with a new player file is a bit of a chore, unless I just Ctrl+F9 my way through.
Wow, this is a quick way to complete the level.
No, not really. Speedrun-wise, it's actually pretty slow, especially if you're going for all bonus coins. It does have the bonus of being able to skip the first room entirely (if you aren't going for all bonus coins), but then you still need literally all of the boxes. It might be slightly faster than the intended solution, but that's not saying much, because the intended solution is just that long.

The absolute fastest way I know of is this: first, you leave Peegue where he is. Then, you let Qookie collect everything in the first and second rooms. As soon as it's safe, Qookie enters the white TP and comes out below the box. Switch to Peegue, step left. Switch to Qookie, push box up. Switch to Peegue, push box right before the cannon kills you. Yes, this is possible, although pretty difficult.

The red/blue buttons never have to be opened because you can later go through the red TP and grab the last key that way.

Alternatively, if this is too tricky for you, you can have Qookie step in front of the white TP, blocking it. Peegue then pushes his box to the right and stays on the teleporter. Then Qookie fills the water hole with a wooden box and pushes another wooden box through. Because of how this plan pans out, you don't have to do everything in one go, making it much safer than the faster method above.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:40 pm

Oh yeah! But I think your solution is simple than the intended one.
Previously known as Aryan101
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:29 pm

Sure, because you just stuff everything through the white TP.

Though the "safe" all-keys solution that uses only a few boxes is probably even simpler. :wink:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:48 pm

Double post, but I just realized that you can apply the "unsafe" speedrun route to avoid wasting the first box in the keyless solution. Then you can avoid using either one wooden box or two metal boxes, so even in the keyless solution you can save objects on this level. :lol: It's that exploitable. You will be grabbing one unavoidable bonus coin that way, though, so if you want no keys and no bonuses, the all-objects version in my screenshot is mandatory.

Here's another one, way less spectacular, but noteworthy because of how many objects (all three of the boxes) remain unused... and how the boulder puzzle is basically SKIPPED in this solution. :wink:

This is on "Crossing the Drawbridge" from Creepy Keep. I think some people have already discovered this before me and just didn't report on it because it's pretty straightforward, but I only now realized that this IS, in fact, doable.
Attachments
crossing_the_drawbridge_alt.png
crossing_the_drawbridge_alt.png (610.38 KiB) Viewed 4031 times