Possible Fan Translation Project

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Dragi_Artz

Possible Fan Translation Project

Post by Dragi_Artz » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:13 am

I was thinking of starting a Fan translation project of really any language considering that most of the games except the first Wonderland haven't any translations. Wonderland (2002) having French and German. But I was wondering about the other games and trying to translate their text into another language. Sorry for the vagueness And posting of a new topic, But I think this could be a fun project.

As far as what language. I have only a few ideas.

Spanish
Japanese
Chinese (Simplified or Traditional)
Or French

also, Update: Wonderland Adventures games are on the table and thanks to those who replied.
Last edited by Dragi_Artz on Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Re: Possible Fan Translation Project

Post by Kilicool64 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:28 am

What do you mean by "of really any language?" If language doesn't matter, then does that mean you would merely take care of the technical side of things while having someone else provide the translation? If you were planning to use machine translation, then stop that thought right there. That's not real translation and is of no use to anyone.

Also, pretty sure you meant to say that most of the games except TOW don't have translations, right?
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:39 pm

At the moment I would say that only the Adventures Trilogy would be open to having translations, now that the source code is available. This is because stuff like menu text is hardcoded in all the games. You also wouldn't be able to add custom font sheets for languages that don't use regular English characters.

For Adventures, keeping interchange lengths in dialogs may be tricky though. If one large English interchange now has to be split into two, then dialog functions would have to be adjusted accordingly and future interchanges have to be bumped up by one. But that's if you're working with the English dialogs directly instead of starting from a blank file.
Dragi_Artz

Post by Dragi_Artz » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:46 pm

Kilicool64 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:28 am
What do you mean by "of really any language?" If language doesn't matter, then does that mean you would merely take care of the technical side of things while having someone else provide the translation? If you were planning to use machine translation, then stop that thought right there. That's not real translation and is of no use to anyone.

Also, pretty sure you meant to say that most of the games except TOW don't have translations, right?
I should've clarified, my apologies. No, I will not be using Machine Translations because as you've stated, They are of no use. I do have some vague idea, and I more posted this to get the idea out, (Which to be honest I should've put WAY more thought into this than I did). As far as languages go, I will add more of a list of specific Languages. Ones that I can actually provide input on instead of only doing the technical side, since learning Languages and translation to some degree are a passion of mine.

I'll be completely honest, I've never actually Translated a game before.

and yes I did mean to say that most games except TOW have translations.

I apologise if this comes off as rude in anyway, as that is not my intention. And also, my Wording is, poor.
Dragi_Artz

Post by Dragi_Artz » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:52 pm

jdl wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:39 pm
At the moment I would say that only the Adventures Trilogy would be open to having translations, now that the source code is available. This is because stuff like menu text is hardcoded in all the games. You also wouldn't be able to add custom font sheets for languages that don't use regular English characters.

For Adventures, keeping interchange lengths in dialogs may be tricky though. If one large English interchange now has to be split into two, then dialog functions would have to be adjusted accordingly and future interchanges have to be bumped up by one. But that's if you're working with the English dialogs directly instead of starting from a blank file.
I will note this down. I'm, not entirely good with technical stuff to be honest. But, knowing this, I will add an update. And also try to lessen the Vagueness of the original post.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:48 am

I would definitely be able to translate the WA game(s) into French, but I'd only do it if there was an active effort in such a translation project. It probably wouldn't be hard to do in the WA trilogy, add a couple accented characters in the character sheet, and most of the text is already in easy-to-edit dialogue files (I don't think changing a few hardcoded lines would be a terribly difficult thing to do either).