NPC Move Cancel Glitch

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

nasko222
Rainbow Master

NPC Move Cancel Glitch

Post by nasko222 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:43 pm

So, where do I begin with this. How I found is rather simple, I've been talking recently how in MOFI Beta2 there was a weird unexplainable image of wrong dialog. I'm going to save that here and just mention that this glitch is bigger than you all expected. From a simple dialogue glitch that was possibly only hub designer flaw, its actually a glitch that can be potentially used in speedruns and works in all WA games including OpenWA.

The glitch takes place with the NPC Move item, not CMD 61, the Npc Move item in particular. The NPC Exclamation and NPC Change don't seem to be affected. Apparently if you step in NPC Move trigger while you have a dialog active, it will set the trigger as activated but it wont execute the command. This does not happen with regular CMD 61, I haven't look into the game's code but I'm assuming there's an unusual check for dialogues or something like that.

Here's my setup

I have these two bald NPCs who have dialogue, and the Garden NPC who doesn't have dialogue and it will be moved around, If I click on the first NPC as I am one tile left from the CMD 61 trigger, it will trigger the Garden NPC to walk, However that's not the case with the NPC Move trigger, which actually gets deactivated and no longer functional. Whether functional or not is depended on the Repeatable tag on the object. If its set to yes, it will function right after you close the dialogue you just activated, otherwise it gets set to inactive forever (unless you use a glitch to reactivate it, which I'm not gonna mention here, but its possible with different glitch)

Here's also the MOFI Beta2 setup once again

The NPC Move trigger is exactly at the place I marked with my mouse in that image. So the two additional triggers that were added are not actually useless, my apologys, They act as a failsafe trigger if you decide to talk to Guggenheimer and discard the first one. But that also means this particular setup works in Beta1 too, but I guess it wasn't reported from the testers yet.

I have yet to explore where you can abuse this glitch in the games, and have fun results and maybe some nice speedrunners skip :stinkyhappy:
Last edited by nasko222 on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Re: NPC Move Cancel Glitch

Post by nasko222 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:04 pm

Few updates

1. Code analysis, apparently its made on purpose, it checks if you have dialogue opened and if yes it doesn't execute the CMD 61

Because of that, you can see how I have dialogue opened here in Wondertown and the kids just got stacked in one place and don't move, that's until I close the dialogue when they start again, and they start because the NPC Move trigger is set to Repetable: Yes

Because the code checks whether the game has dialogue opened, any NPC Move triggers will cease to work if the criteria is met.

2. Any command

You can have NPC Move to activate anything so basically you can make a really tricky and interesting adventure. Here's a video where I show how you can either get soft locked or win, a simple proof of concept

https://naskogdps17.7m.pl/discord_reviv ... -53-14.mp4
Last edited by nasko222 on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Re: NPC Move Cancel Glitch

Post by Wonderman109 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:23 am

That's an interesting idea in its own right albeit a bit gimmicky - I'm not sure if people would see this as a 'legit' puzzle solving method or not as it could be used to bypass parts of levels unintentionally, including whole hub sections or large cutscenes/bosses.