New Level - Extreme Sports

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

New Level - Extreme Sports

Post by yuenlungwong » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:30 am

Hi everyone! It's my first level in RTW :D
The ideas are very simple. But it can drive you crazy.
To win requires more than quick fingers.
Enjoy :wink:
LUNG001.LV6
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Re: New Level - Extreme Sports

Post by yuenlungwong » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 pm

Alert!!! Below are hints!!! Though knowing them doesn't mean you can practically get through :P

You are recommended to turn on the sound function in order to get through the canon part easily. To securely walk the long corridors and get the keys, you have to predict when exactly would the canons fire, and start walking like you almost superimpose with the fireballs. (Note that the fire tracks won't hurt you. Just don't touch the 'balls') From left to right are canons 1, 2, 3 & 4 (These are editor signs that shows the frequency of fireballs).

Note the canons' relative timings by hearing the rhythm. Let's say canon 1 fires every 1 beat, then canon 2 fires every 1.5 beats, canon 3 fires every 2 beats and finally, canon 4 fires every 2.5 beats. (Or 2/3/4/5, if you are confused with dotted numbers). In my opinion, judging their timings by hearing would be more accurate then vision. One more important thing to note: you have to take into account the delay from reaction as it takes time for Loof to move to the adjacent grid. That is, you have to press the keyboard a little bit earlier.

Getting through the Z-bot should be much easier than dodging fireballs. The UFO part, however, is the most challenging part for me. At first I put the two UFOs diagonally. I failed to get through after many attempts (I like to challenge the notion of impossibility), so I put them at adjacent corners instead. It worked, though requiring dozens of attempts. The tricky thing is that you cannot move too slowly, or too quickly. Every step should be calculated. For example, you have to wait a while at the left of the middle wall before approaching the Blue TP. Calculating the waiting time is the most difficult part as there are no rigid beats to follow.

The Kabooms part, like the Z-bot, is a matter of simple calculation. Just grab the coin nearest to the TP and wait at the right bottom of TP. The last part - Coilys, challenges your courage, luck and reaction. Waiting is definitely required to make space for walking and dodging. Just so you know, I have never successfully get through all parts at once. I always failed at the UFOs part or the Coilys part.

Sorry it is wordy. :oops:
Please take a screenshot before you take the exit, then post it here. I wonder how many people can pass through this level :D
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:30 pm

WARNING: Only people with quick fingers and alerted mind can get through this. :D

I can't do that! Probably because I need to have some patience. Once I will get a chance, I'll look into that. (Also, your level seems harder than
Muzo's Robot Redux which took me 1 hour to complete.)
Previously known as Aryan101
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Aryan101 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:30 pm
WARNING: Only people with quick fingers and alerted mind can get through this. :D

I can't do that! Probably because I need to have some patience. Once I will get a chance, I'll look into that. (Also, your level seems harder than
Muzo's Robot Redux which took me 1 hour to complete.)
HAHA! No worries. I only managed to pass each part individually.
Which parts can you get through? At least the canons right?
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:29 am

So far I have made each part of this level separately (the cannons, the UFOs and kabooms, and the coileys) - it's just a matter of time and luck to do it all in one go.

But this is really a bad level, it is not enjoyable and really doesn't make sense. Please make better levels next time.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:30 am

:(
I wonder how many people can pass through this level :D
Not me. Just because this is hard does not mean it is fun — in fact, the opposite is true. I like a good action level, but without the ability to save my game like in Wonderland Adventures I do not have the patience to replay parts that I have already completed over and over and over.
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:31 am

Amnon wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:29 am
So far I have made each part of this level separately (the cannons, the UFOs and kabooms, and the coileys) - it's just a matter of time and luck to do it all in one go.

But this is really a bad level, it is not enjoyable and really doesn't make sense. Please make better levels next time.
Thank you for your response! Well I guess "enjoyable" has many meaning. This level may not offer us a sense of success, until we really make it through each part or even the whole level. It is often said that life is a game, not because life is entirely "enjoyable". We are constantly challenged, forced to extend our limits. Despite failure and pain, we become a tougher person. With grit and courage we can do almost everything. These are the underlying messages of my level. Very old-fashioned and cliched :P

We may perceive it as a matter of luck and timing, in the same way most of us treat our lives. However, randomness comes with unlimited possibilities. It is our decisions that matters the most (At the canon part, have we made sure our first step is sharp enough before going? At the UFOs, have we figured out which step is too early or late? At the Kabooms, haven't us gone through similar challenge in RTW? At the Coileys, have we waited long enough to make sure there is a clear path?). But I do understand that doing them all at once is extremely difficult. That's why it's called "Extreme Sports". 8)

As for better levels, I guess you want them to be more controllable and pleasant. I will make less "extreme" levels next time. :D
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:45 am

cloudrac3r wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:30 am
:(
I wonder how many people can pass through this level :D
Not me. Just because this is hard does not mean it is fun — in fact, the opposite is true. I like a good action level, but without the ability to save my game like in Wonderland Adventures I do not have the patience to replay parts that I have already completed over and over and over.
Ah that 4th canon is hard to pass. Yes there are no save functions, so you have to go over again and again. That makes my level even more extreme.

Sorry it is not fun for you. It's more like a challenge of your persistence. Just smile through each failure :lol:

Seems like you guys don't like this kind of levels. I will continue to explore your limits haha (Just kidding, pls keep writing comments so that I can improve:)
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:14 am

Action levels: yes please
Hard levels: I'll do my best
Pointlessly hard, long and unpleasant levels with no interesting design which only exist for the purpose of being "haha I bet you can't beat this": no thanks

(brutal, I know. sorry.)
Seems like you guys don't like this kind of levels. I will continue to explore your limits haha (Just kidding, pls keep writing comments so that I can improve:)
I'm excited to see what you'll come up with next!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:54 pm

This level is a well-built, precisely tuned exercise in frustration.

I built a few levels like that myself ("Sprinter Cell" comes to mind), so I'm not in a good position to judge, but this is a really cruel gauntlet. The later parts of the level look a tiny bit more manageable, but the cannon part is so precise that it's only partially down to skill. You need a lot of luck to do it, which makes the cannon section not just difficult, but unlikely. And every time you fail later on, you have to do the cannons all over again.

The level is very precisely made, but the question is: is this precision worth it?

I used to like such levels some time ago, but now I'm really not sure I do.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:54 pm
This level is a well-built, precisely tuned exercise in frustration.

I built a few levels like that myself ("Sprinter Cell" comes to mind), so I'm not in a good position to judge, but this is a really cruel gauntlet. The later parts of the level look a tiny bit more manageable, but the cannon part is so precise that it's only partially down to skill. You need a lot of luck to do it, which makes the cannon section not just difficult, but unlikely. And every time you fail later on, you have to do the cannons all over again.

The level is very precisely made, but the question is: is this precision worth it?

I used to like such levels some time ago, but now I'm really not sure I do.

Thank you for your understanding. The precision is actually my personal obsession :wink: , which clearly has become unpleasant. I have been playing "Extreme Sports" for a few days and rethinking the intention of this work. I am now very certain that I can get through the canons without depending on luck 8) . Not sure if anyone feels that as well: I can easily judge whether my first step is early enough and get back whenever I know it is too late. This prevents dying. However, the UFO part is still a trouble for me because there are more variables to control. And I have to say that it was very unkind for me to set the Coileys even though the level is already troublesome. But that's part of the message I want to convey. And it's still a fun puzzle for me to solve :D

I must apologize to those who were annoyed by "Extreme Sports". It was not intended as a troll, or a "sit here and see how you suffer" thing. In fact, I was hoping to see responses like "Wow! I can finally do it". To me, "Extreme Sports" is a difficult puzzle to solve not because it requires quick fingers, but understanding that no matter how many times you fail, how annoying it is, how seemingly luck determines all things, courage, patience and skills are the only essential elements. Frankly, I was nearly heartbroken when my first ever level was perceived as poor. But now I understand it's just a matter of taste. My next level is ready :)
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:22 pm

To put it extremely simply: not everyone is a fan of insanely hot pepper.

That's, basically, what you created, IMO -- the action level equivalent of an insanely hot pepper.

As for the cannons, maybe after a few days of solid practice I'd be able to judge better when to step into the line. After all, it's the same timing as what I used in "Sprinter Cell"... but only twice, despite the ridiculous look. You used it four times in a row. :lol:

I used to be able to play and enjoy such stuff, but later on I moved into a more puzzle-heavy direction and I'm honestly not sure if I can go back.

BTW, for a puzzle equivalent of "insanely hot pepper", try out my "Deceptively Deceptive" (in its latest version C), it still has a few alternates that I'd like to eventually figure out how to close, but even now, the level is completely insane. It's the most complicated thing I've ever designed. :lol:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Will definitely try out! :D
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:03 pm

Got it done, the whole lot from beginning to end in one go - never again.
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:18 pm

Great Job Amnon!
Temper improved by 999999999 times right? (or worsened :lol: )
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:16 am

Temper improved by 999999999 times right?
On the one hand, the feeling of relief is an improvement, for I can get on with my life and will not have to waste more time on this.
On the other hand, this left me with little time to sleep that night, so being tired and unwell does not improve one's temper.
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:39 pm

Amnon wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:16 am
Temper improved by 999999999 times right?
On the one hand, the feeling of relief is an improvement, for I can get on with my life and will not have to waste more time on this.
On the other hand, this left me with little time to sleep that night, so being tired and unwell does not improve one's temper.
Have a good sleep, Amnon XD
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/