RTW Tricks

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

RTW Tricks

Post by cloudrac3r » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:20 am

At the request of Wonderland King, here we are. This topic is to share tips and techniques that are used when making levels that might not be so obvious to the player. I'll be organising these into what I believe to be the "common" tricks and the "rare" tricks. Common should be common knowledge and you be expected to know them, rare would likely only be used in a handful of levels.
Please share the things that you know and I'll update this top list accordingly.
I don't care much about hex editing but if you type it I'll add it.

---

Common tricks

Walking into ice the wrong way
If you walk into an ice tile from the two obvious directions, everything works fine. If you walk into an ice tile from one of the two silly directions, you will be sent out either left or right but never up or down.
Link spheres
If you push a link sphere while some others are rolling, the rolling ones will continue rolling as they were. Only the stationary link spheres will be set moving.
Starting inside a wall
If you start the level inside an object or wall you will be able to walk to an adjacent walkable tile but not back into the wall you just left.
Ice objects
If an object rests on ice and you walk into that object to push it you will end up inside the object. This can be done with multiple objects on a long ice path so long as they are at least one tile away from each other. Every object will "stack" on the same end tile.
Trampolines 201
Of course, you know that trampoline jumps get extended if you come from another trampoline. However, it doesn't teach you that all involuntary movement works the same way. So, for example, you can have a single trampoline near an ice patch and use it repeatedly, achieving a higher bounce each time. The same applies to conveyors and teleporters. The trampoline jump counter is only reset if you come to a stop.
Box/trampoline/coin
If you put a wooden box on a trampoline and the destination is water with coin over it, then the box will be destroyed over the coin, but you can walk
over the water and collect the coin.
If you bounce a box onto a round button with a coin over it, the box will be destroyed and the button will stay stuck down.
Round buttons and timer buttons conflicting
If you set off a timer button and walk onto and then off a round button, the gate will close at first but when the timer runs out the gate will be stuck open until you step on another button.
Round buttons and UFOs/ghosts
Leaving a round button when a UFO is on a same-coloured round button, will leave the button pressed. This also works with ghosts.
Two objects can be placed on the same grid tile...
...if one of them is from the top "tiles" category and the other is from the bottom "objects" category. While playing the game, walking into this stack of objects will push only one of them out of the way and you will walk inside the other object.
Unsticky cubes
Sticky cubes that are originally placed next to each other when the level starts will not be stuck and can be pushed away from each other. They will stick if pushed back together, though.
Walk past UFO without it firing
If you time your steps correctly, the UFO will not shoot fire at you.
Watch on YouTube / Watch on CloudTube / Mirror on my website, cadence.gq
Mothership tile collision
The tile on which a UFO mothership is placed can be walked over by the player but cannot have objects pushed over it or enemies walk over it. If a boulder rolls over this tile, the mothership will be destroyed.
Walking through fire
If a teleporter has stationary fire above it, you can still enter that teleporter if you land on it from a trampoline.
Camera offset
If you walk through a teleporter while the camera is still zooming in on Stinky at the start of a level, the camera will be offset and will no longer be centered on Stinky. This is usually an annoyance. This can be avoided by waiting for the camera to stop moving after starting the level.
Teleporter exit block
If an enemy covers the exit of a teleporter, boxes will not be able to use that exit. However, Stinky will be able to, and will walk into the enemy.
Kaboom coin stealing
If a Kaboom is circling around a coin, it is possible to take the coin with precise movement: finish walking into the coin as the Kaboom reaches the corner of its path. (This is featured in one of the later levels of TOW.)
Kaboom travellator
If a Kaboom is circling around a box, if you push the box in the same direction as the Kaboom's travel you can walk the Kaboom to another place in the level. (This is featured in world 10 of TOW.)

Rare tricks

Box density
If there is a stationary box on a floor tile and another box sliding towards it on ice, if the sliding box has equal or greater density then the stationary box it will push the stationary box. If it has lesser density then it will bounce back along the ice without moving the stationary box.
If I recall correctly, density works like this: wooden < steel = reflectors = push cannons = many other objects < plasma.
Stopped transporter
When an object on a moving transporter is, in any way, destroyed, the transporter stops.
Double reflection
You can use one reflector to do two reflections: just when the fireball is reflected from the reflector, move the reflector one tile to the direction where the fireball is reflected. If timed correctly, the fireball again should be reflected. I used and discovered this in Stinker Rescue level in WSW.
Disable cannon fire
Putting a lot of flames in a level will stop cannons and UFOs from firing.
Boulders/ghosts/coins/ice/what the heck
Watch on YouTube / Watch on CloudTube / Mirror

---

This is starting to fill up, but I bet there's still a lot of things that aren't in here. Could you help me out by sharing your own knowledge?
Last edited by cloudrac3r on Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:40 am, edited 13 times in total.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Re: RTW Tricks

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:26 am

The round/timer thing is actually used in WSW, I believe...

Trampolines 201

The official RTWP set teaches that trampoline jumps get extended if you come from another trampoline. However, it doesn't teach you that all involuntary movement works the same way. So, for example, you can have a single trampoline near an ice patch and use it repeatedly, achieving a higher bounce each time. The same applies to conveyors and teleporters.

Basically, in order to reset the trampoline jump counter and start from one again, a character must come to a stop. This is so common it almost doesn't feel worth mentioning, but I think we should.

Stopped Transporter

When an object on a moving transporter is, in any way, destroyed, the transporter stops. In a custom level built with this trick in mind, it can have far-reaching implications.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:14 am

In Lemarquis's level Area 51, I saw raining boulders. Is any sort of hex editing used here? It looks interesting.
Previously known as Aryan101
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:25 pm

1. How about superimposition? I saw it in Kiki's levels. There are two types.

a) Placing two objects on the same grid.
Example: Link Sphere+Boulder/Sticky cubes+ice

b) When boxes are placed on every other grid on an iced way, and you slide through the iced way, the character and all the boxes would superimpose on the same grid at the end of the way.

2. I have seen things like more than one TPs of the same color, but I haven't experimented on it.

3. Exiting a TP with fire on it won't hurt you. Only stepping onto it would.

4. When you use a trampoline to bounce a box onto a round button with a coin on it, the box is broken, but the button is pressed.

5. Sticky cubes originally placed next to each other would not be stuck.

There are other tricks forgotten. Not sure if these are trivial to you. Pls don't mind my bad English.
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:05 am

1. Leaving a round button when a UFO is on a same-coloured round button, will leave the button pressed.

2. Stinkers can step over a UFO mother-ship, but monsters and objects cannot, except for already-rolling boulders and spheres which destroy the mother-ship.

3. Ghosts can be killed by stepping off a bridge once they just started to cross it, leaving them in thin air.

4. stepping off ice at the right time, a stinker can get inside a rolling boulder or sphere and be protected thereby.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:51 pm

Double Reflection
You can use one reflector to do two reflections: just when the fireball is reflected from the reflector, move the reflector one tile to the direction where the fireball is reflected. If timed correctly, the fireball again should be reflected. I used and discovered this in Stinker Rescue level in WSW.

Is fuel empty?
Putting a lot of flames will "turn off" the cannons and ufos (Do you remember the dialogue - Wait, a cannon can be "turned off"? - from my level Get to the home! :stinkylol: ).

Walking on Water
If you put a wooden box on a trampoline and the destination is a water with coin over it, then the box will be destroyed over the coin, but you can walk over the water and collect the coin.

Destroyed inside water/Walking on Water 2
If a fireball goes into the edge of the level, any submerged boxes that can be destroyed by the fireball and are in same row the fireball passes, box will be destroyed inside the water! If the box is wooden box, then you can walk on water.
Previously known as Aryan101
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:48 am

Aryan101 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:51 pm
Destroyed inside water/Walking on Water 2
If a fireball goes into the edge of the level, any submerged boxes that can be destroyed by the fireball and are in same row the fireball passes, box will be destroyed inside the water! If the box is wooden box, then you can walk on water.
I can't make this work. Can you describe in more detail or provide a video?
Amnon wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:05 am
3. Ghosts can be killed by stepping off a bridge once they just started to cross it, leaving them in thin air.
4. stepping off ice at the right time, a stinker can get inside a rolling boulder or sphere and be protected thereby.
I can't make either of these work.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:00 am

yuenlungwong wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:25 pm
3. Exiting a TP with fire on it won't hurt you. Only stepping onto it would.
I can't make this work either. Here's my setup: https://cadence.gq/api/images/56593e
Walking into the top teleporter teleports and immediately kills me, and walking into the bottom teleporter kills me before I am able to teleport.
yuenlungwong wrote:
Pls don't mind my bad English.
Your English is wonderful and I am able to get all your other tricks to work. Thank you!
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:25 pm

Interesting stuff!
cloudrac3r wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:00 am
yuenlungwong wrote:
Walking into the top teleporter teleports and immediately kills me, and walking into the bottom teleporter kills me before I am able to teleport.
Just a thought, and I know it's crazy... But what if a few things were fixed in the Platinum Edition and this is one of them?
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:25 pm

I know what happen now. I remembered the trick wrongly.
Trampoline anything(including yourself) into a TP with fire. Try this out :)
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:43 am

Another trick is getting past UFOs without fire. You can watch the following video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHT_hiGuLfk
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:34 pm

That video does not work for me.
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:20 pm

cloudrac3r wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:34 pm
That video does not work for me.
My fault, mistakenly set it as private.
Pls try it again
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:49 pm

Sorry, Yuenlungwong, but it still doesn't work. It's saying the video is unavailable.
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:41 am

rainbowgamer wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:49 pm
Sorry, Yuenlungwong, but it still doesn't work. It's saying the video is unavailable.
Ah That's strange. I've published it again
https://youtu.be/FHT_hiGuLfk
In case it doesn't work, let me describe with words.
Walk in the opposite direction as the UFO when it approaches the grid horizontal or vertical to you. That way you can get past an UFO without fire.
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:31 am

This is only because a UFO only shoots when it arrives at a square, not in between.

As the UFO is slower, and the speed of approach when walking in the opposite direction is the sum of the speeds of the stinker and the UFO, you can time it so by the time the UFO arrives at the next square the stinker will not be there any more.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:27 am

yuenlungwong wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:41 am
Ah That's strange. I've published it again
This works. I've mirrored it on my website, all links are now in my first post.
All other tricks that I can reproduce have also been added to my first post, though I expect you've noticed by now.
yuenlungwong
Silver Wonderlander

Post by yuenlungwong » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:41 pm

I've discovered another trick. Please watch the following video~

https://youtu.be/buW0abSHur4
令人懷念的過去 --
童年的痕跡 --
返回仙境/
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Yes, this ghost-trick has been used in some levels.
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:01 pm

What... WHAT IN THE UNIVERSE?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Oh my... I have no words... That is a really cool glitch I'd have never known about if I hadn't just seen it...
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:46 pm

@Walking through Fire: idk if this was mentioned yet but you can also land on a spring with a fire on it unharmed.

"Leaving a round button when a UFO is on a same-coloured round button, will leave the button pressed. This also works with ghosts." I genuinely did NOT know this... holy
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.