New Level [ADV] - Amalgamation

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

New Level [ADV] - Amalgamation

Post by Jutomi » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:30 am

Well, it's nearly Halloween! You know what that means?

It's time for Poltergeist III: Freakiest Anomaly!!!

Hmm... that's a bit clunky. And a bit too epic for the level I ended up making in its wake. So instead I'm going to call it "Amalgamation", since I think that about sums up this frankenstein's mess I've cobbled together... :lol:

I hope you enjoy! But beware! There are demons, ghosts, and bugs galore! You may acquire nightmares after this one... :lol: (I might too if it ends up having an alternate solution :oops:)

My video solution~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jutomi on Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
mette
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: New Level [ADV] - Amalgamation

Post by mette » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:09 pm

I tried... lots of different things... logic and random...
But I have no idea how to get anywhere with this.

Your description make it sound like it's based on a bug/glitch, which leads me to believe that you have to do something random in the exact right order for "something" to happen. If that's the case - I give up - this type of level is not for me, sorry.

If I'm mistaken, then I need some sort of hint to get started, please.
\Mette
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:37 pm

Hi Mette;

I'm afraid this level is a lot more "wow" factor than actually solveable. As has been the case with most of my more recent RTW levels. :lol:

Don't worry, the next two I come out with to close out the year will be equally as "wow" without any of the solveability issues. ;)

But if you're really curious about where to get started... you can start by taking a look at my levels, and optionally solutions for, Moist Anomaly (and. the. Anomaly. series. [plus this]), Checking Out of Reality, and, perhaps most relevant to even getting started here (and where the bulk of this level is based around), Freaky Magic.

If you want another thrill completely unrelated to this and totally unsolveable, check out this guy xD If you want something more approachable, feel free to look in my level list. I might recommend the ones with one and especially two gold stars, though most of them are still no cakewalk! (But they're at least "approachable"; anything without "advanced" should not utilize bonkers glitches :lol:)

Thanks for at least giving it a look. I know, at first blush this looks deceptively tame for one of my levels. But upon closer inspection, this looks positively impossible. :lol:

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:24 pm

In case you don't feel like solving it yourself, however, feel free to watch my video solution; just uploaded it today :lol:

Hope you enjoy :P

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:06 am

So. Now to explain how everything works. :lol:
Part 1 - The Primary Glitch wrote:How the ghost stinker glitch works in RTW is that the player has to jump from a trampoline onto an exit that is on a tile that would not normally kill the stinker. That's it. It has nothing to do with bouncing on another trampoline right away or going into another exit; it is specifically trampolining onto a tile that has an exit which would not kill the player if they were alive. (so not a wall, not water, etc.)

When on ice, the stinker, even when not "ghostified", still has a ghost of sorts which moves around on the ice and trampolines. Because of this, you can actually still block the half-ghosted stinker with a living stinker. This allows you to make the stinker (in the first case Loof) to bounce back into the trampoline so they land directly on the exit. This also allows you to block Loof from going past the exit. This is important, because doing so would mean Loof, being "alive" again, would just exit the exit on the second pass by.
Part 2 - Cycling wrote:Different stinkers have a different affect on how they cycle through different players. The lowest stinker in the chain (Stinky if Stinky is present, Loof if Stinky is not present, Quookie if neither are present) will cycle so that, once the glitch is performed, the next player becomes ghosted (Stinky ghosts Loof, Loof ghosts Quookie, Quookie ghosts Peegue). If we take Stinky and the whole gang, the cycle goes:

Loof deactivates > Loof reactivates, Quookie deactivates > Loof deactivates again > Both reactivate, but Peegue deactivates.

There's one other step, however; if you exit one more time and then press enter during the loading screen, you'll note that everyone reactivates.

This is actually how all cycles work; they work down the player chain until they reach the end, and then reset. So if all four exist, Loof's would be like so:

Quookie deactivates > Peegue deactivates, Quookie reactivates > Quookie deactivates, leaving only Loof > Quookie and Peegue reactivate

Because of this, when Peegue double-exits the level, Peegue comes back to life but does not do anything else to Quookie or Loof - Peegue's the last in the cycle. This applies to any stinker who's last in the cycle.

This cycle also works even when there's a gap. It's really weird, because at first it may seem like something is broken, but basically the game tries deactivating/reactivating a player that isn't "there" and, for all intents and purposes, cycles through the players as if that player was still there. So if Loof was gone, it'd be:

Loof deactivates > Loof reactivates > Loof deactivates > Peegue deactivates, Loof reactivates > Loof deactivates.

It seems to have something to do with multiples of two. For example, every exit the lowest player in the chain makes, they deactivate or reactivate. For every two, the next player in the chain toggles; for four, the third, and for eight, the final one. It's a very strange system, but it's how the glitch works and is why you can toggle who's alive or not and where along a chain you are if you switch chains mid-way through one of them... or something :lol:
Part 3 - The Transporters wrote:Right, so glitched transporters are weird. But suffice to say, a transporter breaks when more than one object try to use it at the same time. I've gone over glitched transporters in more detail before, about unhinged glitch transporters, control ghost transporters and glitch static metatiles. I won't get into that too much here, but there is a funny nuance to this: When two stinkers try to use a transporter at once (which they can, if one of them is dead - and the dead body can also put out fires, ftr), the stinker later-generated (Quookie over Loof, Loof over Stinky, etc.) will move two tiles, while the other zooms off to the end of the board, leaving behind metatiles that affect the control transporter which you can revive at a new location by walking onto where that control transporter should have been. Good fun :P
If that still doesn't make any sense to you... sorry :lol:

Hope you enjoy :P

mette
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by mette » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:46 am

Thanks for the extensive explanation. I have never been into the glitchy stuff, so not all you write make sense. But never mind me - I'll watch the show when a solution is posted :)
Every level does not have to be for everybody - we're all different and that's just fine by me :D
\Mette
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:13 pm

mette wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:46 am
Thanks for the extensive explanation. I have never been into the glitchy stuff, so not all you write make sense. But never mind me - I'll watch the show when a solution is posted :)
Every level does not have to be for everybody - we're all different and that's just fine by me :D
Don't worry, I don't expect anyone - not even Amnon - to solve this normally. :lol:

On that note, I did link my video solution, but I guess it did get a little buried in my extensive explanation post. :P

Here's my solution. I hope you enjoy the weird and wacky world that is RTW deconstructed :piratelol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVzCWevvXFc

Oh, and if you want something a bit more normal, I could recommend to you (along with my first dozen or so miscellaneous levels) my Combat Island series. It gets pretty hard in the later levels especially (don't get me started on Permission to Exit), but it's a lot more approachable than most of my other stuff and is surprisingly much better than I remembered, at least for the first few worlds :lol: But whatever you do, please. do not touch The Lost Lands. :oops: :oops: :oops:

mette
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by mette » Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:29 am

Thanks for (re)posting the solution. I would never have figured that out!

I might look at the levels you suggest at some point. Right now I'm playing my way through the actual games. There is so much I don't remember :oops:
\Mette
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:47 pm

I am still working on this one and made a slight progress - but is it solvable? I don't want to put in all the effort if it is not, and I don't want to look at the hints either.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:01 pm

I watched the video solution -- it is solvable, but not "reasonably" so. The glitches are strong with this one.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:51 pm

At this point, when Jutomi puts trampolines and transporters in close vicinity in a level, run. :P