New Level - The Enchanted Boxes

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
Mark
Rainbow MegaStar

New Level - The Enchanted Boxes

Post by Mark » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:24 pm

The Enchanted Boxes

There's a wizard casting spells in Wonderland.
Hopefully Stinky and Loof can set things right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
kiki
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by kiki » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:02 pm

:D :D :D Hi Mark. I loved the way you had those boxes an that trance like they were floating on dry land, :shock: 8) :shock:

Finally got it sorted, Very clever as always, Looked quite impossible at first, But that is whats so kewl about your levels and what makes them so fun to do and gratifying to complete. Thanks for the mind bender and the gold star. :D :D :D
Keeks
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:08 pm

This one baffles me more than "Baffled" does! :o
How do I get Stinky off the island without wasting the boxes?? :wink: :wink:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Currently making synth music as treehann
I make 2d games too at: treehann.itch.io
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
Mark
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Mark » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:14 pm

TheoX wrote:How do I get Stinky off the island without wasting the boxes?? :wink: :wink:
As my good friend Kazza once said: "If it looks impossible... you're too late!" :shock:
Last edited by Mark on Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark
drushing
Rainbow AllStar

Post by drushing » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:31 pm

Wild effect the way the boxes were swaying! Took several tries before I figured out the opening move! Cool level Mark!
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:20 pm

Thanks for the help Mark :)
Once I did the beginning correctly, it was smooth sailing.
Thanks for another tricky one :twisted: :D
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Currently making synth music as treehann
I make 2d games too at: treehann.itch.io
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
wonderlandlover
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by wonderlandlover » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:10 pm

Aagghh! I had to use your clue! :oops: And, I know better, Mr. Lickety Splitty in the Beginning!

Of course, smooth sailing when you start right! Very tricky! Thanks!
Lisa
Will I ever be able to play again?
dunc
Rainbow Master

Post by dunc » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:26 pm

mark, i've also used your hint, and i need a bigger one :wink: i've tried rushing things but nothing different seems to happen :?
a person who never made a mistake never made anything!
Mark
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:45 pm

dunc wrote:i've tried rushing things but nothing different seems to happen :?
Have Stinky do the two-step in the dark. :wink:
Mark
dunc
Rainbow Master

Post by dunc » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:09 pm

i'm still not getting it :oops:
Mark
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:46 pm

dunc wrote:i'm still not getting it :oops:
The game screen is dark while the level is loading, it is here you want to have Stinky take a step in one direction, and then a step back.
If you are quick enough, he will magically teleport to the other side. :wink:
Mark
wonderfull
Rainbow Star

Post by wonderfull » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:06 am

Well, I needed all the clues for this one. I don't know all the glitches, so would never have known to even try that.
-Wonderfull
Lillie
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Lillie » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:48 am

Hello Mark - Mrs Dumb Bum here :oops: I can do the lickety splitz bit at the start - but what I can't do is get both stinkers off the righthand island :? The tiles are two step and I need one to be a three step :lol: :lol: :lol:

Help a poor damsel out of her misery please kind Knight :D
Lillie The Beanhead! Image
"Lillie Still A London Phillie Dancing Like A Billie Goatee Wee Wee Lillie"
dunc
Rainbow Master

Post by dunc » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:56 pm

Mark wrote:If you are quick enough, he will magically teleport to the other side. :wink:
cheers mark, but after 52 thousand attempts i've decided i'm not quick enough *pullshairoutsmiley*

ah well, i think i'm 80-90% on your levels, i don't think that's bad :D
Lillie
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Lillie » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:22 pm

Finally got it 8) Clever level as always Mr Magician :D

I was doing down and up in the dark but even though I ended up on the other island, it wasn't in the right position. Dunc, try another direction :wink:

Thanks :D Now back to trying to unparalyse poor Peegue :shock:
dunc
Rainbow Master

Post by dunc » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:08 pm

Lillie wrote:Dunc, try another direction :wink:
i did! i tried up/down down/up left/right and right/left 13 thousand times each :lol: :lol:

i'll give it another go tomorrow though now you've narrowed it down slightly :twisted:
Lutz
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Lutz » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:44 pm

Did it after countless tries :twisted:
Mark
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:51 pm

Sorry for the frustration everyone is having. :oops:
I won't make anymore split-second timing puzzles.
Mark
dunc
Rainbow Master

Post by dunc » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:13 pm

Mark wrote:Sorry for the frustration everyone is having. :oops:
I won't make anymore split-second timing puzzles.
hey mark, don't stop making them just because some of us can't do some of them, i for one enjoy the challenge whether i get there in the end or not :lol:
Mark
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Mark » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:20 pm

dunc wrote:Don't stop making them just because some of us can't do some of them
Hi Dunc,
Patrick may enjoy posting tricks and glitches in his newsletter, but most people on this forum really don't like them.
I use glitches to create magical effects, but often they become part of the solution. And that unfortunately requires a lot of trial and error which leads to frustration. A level should be fun and challenging, but never frustrating. I will try to create only traditional logic puzzles from now on. :wink:
Mark
Lutz
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Lutz » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:48 pm

Hi Mark,

I hope you don't feel offended by what I wrote on one of your other levels.
Lutz wrote:I prefer levels I can solve by thinking and not by guessing
It's just my personal opinion and I'm sure there are players around who love your glitchy levels. I find them fascinating too and sit there staring at my screen :shock: , :( or :? and sometimes :evil: admiring your abilities.
You're right, it can be frustrating but levels without a glitch can be too (maybe even more because I know that there's a logical solution and it's my old brains which can't find it :twisted: ).
As you wrote above: Wonderland should be fun. Not only for players but also for the level makers. So please keep on going. Wouldn't it be boring if all levels are the same? And a bit of frustration should be bearable from time to time :D
Lillie
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Lillie » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:08 pm

Very nicely said Lutzy (as usual my friend :D )

I totally Agree Mark - I just love learning new things "Wonderland". Also, that little touch of magic that you find and bring to your levels gives other level makers lots of inspiration and new ideas 8)

Don't ever change your way Mr Magic Man - you are simply the best :D
kiki
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by kiki » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:33 pm

:D :D :D I totally agree with Lutz and Lillie! Mark I can't even begin to tell you how many levels you have inspired me to create with your magic, I love your levels glitches or no glitches, So if you feel inclined to glitch it up, Carry on my friend its all about having fun here. :D :D :D
Keeks
Mark
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:12 pm

Lutz wrote:I hope you don't feel offended by what I wrote on one of your other levels. I prefer levels I can solve by thinking and not by guessing
No, I'm not offended at all. I greatly appreciate any feedback on my levels. I did some evalutating from posts I've seen around the forum regarding glitches. And I must agree with you, that one should not have to guess. It is rewarding to solve a level by thinking.
So going forward, what I'll do is place a magic hat picture (see below) on levels that use special effects. And I will never use any glitch as part of the solution. Another words, the level can be completely solved by normal means. Hope that will work.
Mark
dunc
Rainbow Master

Post by dunc » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:36 pm

wow - an actual debate on the puzzle level forum :P for what it's worth here's my two penneth.

mark, if you never use a glitch again as part of the solution, then i think you will be taking something away from your levels. a lot of your levels have been glitch free and excellent and some of them have had glitches and still been excellent, but variety is just part of your magic :)

yes, this was a good example of a frustrating level for some people, including me, but i for one don't want you to change, and i for one certainly don't want a hint as to whether not it's glitchy before i've had a chance to solve the level hint free.

personally, i find a fair bit of frustration in a lot of difficult levels before i solve them, but that doesn't mean i don't enjoy it, it makes it even more fulfilling if i solve a frustrating level without help, and sometimes when i get help i realise i was just on the wrong track and wish i'd asked sooner, but it's all part of the game.

i couldn't do this level, so what?? i still take my hat off to those that could. and one point that i think you may be missing is that a lot of your levels, especially the glitchy ones are very small, so if we are going to run out of ideas then it doesn't take very long to do so.

i consider you a friend i haven't met, and i really wouldn't want you to change just because maybe you've got the wrong idea about what's been said here. if you persist in this nonsense about changing the way you create levels or adding hints before levels, i'll be forced to post a "should mark change?" thread and you'll just be really embarrassed when you read everyone saying NO NO NO. :twisted:
Lutz
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Lutz » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:49 pm

The German smilies aren't very good with English, so please put an E at the end :mrgreen:
Mark
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:59 pm

dunc wrote:"should mark change?"
Hi Dunc,
I'm not sure if a magician can change his stripes. :lol:
Thank you kindly for taking the time to write your thoughts. :D
I know from past experience, glitches are not everyone's cup of tea.
Perhaps a warning label on levels that contain glitches might help.
Also a helpful sign in the level, if the glitch is used in the solution... :?
That's just a thought. If you have any ideas, please let me know.
I'm just trying to prevent the frustration factor.
Mark
wonderfull
Rainbow Star

Post by wonderfull » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:15 pm

My turn to jump in here. I've commented before that I don't know all the glitches, and therefore don't often know what to even try in your levels. And frankly, even if I did know them, I might not remember them to be able to solve a glitchy level anyway (I'm too much of a logical mind). BUT, I do find them fascinating, and although I haven't been able to complete the majority of your levels, Mark, they are always fun to try.

I think your idea of flagging the glitchy levels is a great one! That might help us to know when to look for glitches or when to just use our heads. I will still try the flagged ones, but at least I might not give up too soon on the normal levels thinking there's a glitch I don't know!

Thanks for all your wonderful levels, they're awesome. I have to hand it to all of you expert level makers; I have never made one and wouldn't even know how to begin, let alone come up with anything creative like yours!
It's a Wonderfull life
dunc
Rainbow Master

Post by dunc » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:20 pm

Mark wrote:Perhaps a warning label on levels that contain glitches might help.
Also a helpful sign in the level, if the glitch is used in the solution... :?
I'm just trying to prevent the frustration factor.
IMHO no, no, and you can't unless you just decide to make easy levels.

all you should do is put in your signature "please feel free to PM me if you need help or if you're frustrated" :wink:

i just think that by giving any sort of hint before people have had a chance to find out for themselves, you're taking something away from the magic and the challenge itself. i enjoy just about every kind of level from the ridiculously easy to the almost impossible.

and if i decide i've had enough of trying, i either ask for help or give in, depending on how much time i've got on my hands or how much i really want to know :D
Mark
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:30 pm

dunc wrote:
Mark wrote:Also a helpful sign in the level, if the glitch is used in the solution... :?
IMHO no, no, and you can't unless you just decide to make easy levels.
Hi Dunc, I was thinking of a sign as a cryptic clue, not a spoiler.
Something I'm currently doing with my new levels is having someone play test them for me before I post.
This will alert me in advance if they are frustrating, so that I can make the corrections before posting.

Thank you again for your feedback! :D
Last edited by Mark on Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark