Picking Colours/BUG IN THE LEVEL/Comment on Erwin's solution

Questions and solutions for Wonderland Adventures, Mysteries of Fire Island, and Planet of the Z-Bots.
janellesnip
Rainbow Wonderlander

Picking Colours/BUG IN THE LEVEL/Comment on Erwin's solution

Post by janellesnip » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:36 pm

I visited http://midnightsynergy.com/nutters/WA/67.htm to view the solution. Erwin's solution is not as spiffy as it could be. First: It does not matter at all whether you step on the red diamond-shaped button before you step on the colour change, since it is a switch button. If you step on it too soon, it has no effect. You can step on it as your heart desires, both before and after stepping on the colour change. Just be certain to step on it an odd number of times after stepping on the colour change, so that the gate is down when you wish to exit.

So the first part of my solution is:
Go one space up to the gloves, three steps down to colour-change, one back up to the red switch, and directly to the space BEFORE the cyan (light blue) button.
Next, Erwin suggests
stepping all over the four buttons, since they do not matter anyway. ("They do not have any EFFECT" -- Affect, as a noun, means something like demeanour. To effect, as a verb, means "to cause"; to affect, as a verb, means to influence.)

Then he uses a bunch of blinks to get around. He writes
"Then blink between the orange button and the change button."
-- Absolutely no blinking is necessary here. The only button that does not seem to matter is "yellow->green". Whether you step on it or not is of no consequence in my solution.

But: the buttons you do want to avoid are both "blue->red" and "red->purple" because then you mess up both your option of recharging the gloves and of ever getting to the star.

So the second part of my solution is:
Blink diagonally to the Northwest (orange->yellow) and walk to collect the three gems northwest of you.
Walk back to the (now black) button, one space to the West, two spaces to the South, and one space eastwards (W1-S2-E1). You are now on the button "yellow->blue".
Walk one additional space to the East and one to the North (E1-N1) (cyan/light-blue button). The gate east of you, which used to be orange, is now light blue and permanently down. You are still in possession of eight blinks, but go ahead and recharge so you have nine. There are no switches or buttons in your way. (If you accidentally step on red, just step on it again.)
The third part of my solution requires no blinking, either.
Just walk straight westward to the blue gate, which changes to orange as you step on blue->orange. Step on the orange switch as often as you desire, just make certain it is down when you wish to step through.
Then walk to the purple->yellow button, step on it. Walk to the green gate. Do not worry about how often you step on the orange switch. Keep all nine of your blinks. (Do not "blink to the green gate" as Erwin suggested -- that is just wasting a blink.)
The only part of Erwin's solution for which I have no better suggestion is:
"blink to the yellow/orange button quickly."
In fact, this part requires such speed that I think all but the quickest players will fail. So: I saved the level where I was, and proceeded to practise.

But,
THERE IS A BUG HERE: Whenever I save at this point in the game, then practise once and then reload the game, the orange gate is blue. (I am talking about the gate just before the star).

I have repeated the procedure twice of playing the level up to this point, then saving -- but whenever I reload, the gate is blue again.

(Of course, since I can recharge my gloves to my heart's desire, there is no need to reload at all. I just thought of that. But this is still a bug.)

** Comment: The red gate from the beginning also becomes yellow again, but the blue gate behaves as if it is orange; and the yellow behaves red. . . . so it is not such a bad bug after all.