WA1: The Purple Shard - Intended Solution?

Questions and solutions for Wonderland Adventures, Mysteries of Fire Island, and Planet of the Z-Bots.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

WA1: The Purple Shard - Intended Solution?

Post by cloudrac3r » Thu May 19, 2016 9:11 am

No, I don't need help to solve it! I completed this on my own a few months ago.
In the level, once you get to the main area, there are 3 magic chargers - Pop, Brr, and Blink. Those all all 3 types of magic in WA1. (I don't count the floing guy.)
But I beat the level using only Brr and Blink, I did not need the Pop power, and so I can't help but feel I did it an unintended way. Did anyone else, unlike me, use the pop power to complete the level? If so, what did you use it for?

And by the way, my solution was NOT to cheese the enitre thing by blinking around the locked gates like billy bob did in their speedrun.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu May 19, 2016 8:35 pm

The "cheese" route was originally found by me and one other player, we were basically racing each other... originally it was a long brr-bridge. There was A LOT of route refinement before the current route became the speedrun standard. :lol:

As for the intended solution... I have a feeling you were supposed to pop the buttons instead of blinking on them. :wink: Otherwise, though, if you've done it the "long" way, it's very close to what it was probably intended to be.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Timecrokba
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Timecrokba » Fri May 20, 2016 12:44 pm

I believe the intended solution is for one type of magic to be used in each area, Brr to the south, Blink to the north, and Pop to the east (even if its not that clearly cutthroat), but its nearly as easy to use Blink to the east instead of Pop to activate the buttons, so a fair amount of people do.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Fri May 20, 2016 1:20 pm

Thank you for the replies, I did indeed use Blink to press the buttons to the east.
By the way, who else took a really long time to realise that the purple wobbly stuff is in fact a liquid at the correct height and can be frozen?
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sat May 21, 2016 4:44 am

If you're speedrunning, I think you can just avoid the entire four gates at the end entirely using Blink. A pretty major design flaw if you ask me. Though the intended solution is to use each magic for each area. Video: https://youtu.be/BwGWQgIQQ-k?t=34m46s
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Sat May 21, 2016 7:39 am

Muzozavr wrote:The "cheese" route was originally found by me and one other player
This was Master Wonder Mage, right? Just wondering. :)
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat May 21, 2016 9:01 am

Yeah, exactly. I forgot the name. I first discovered that you can skip the gates with a brr bridge, but he came up with the final route first. I was second.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.