Important: Please Read This Post First!

Leveltextures, Custom Icons, etc. for Wonderland Adventures.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Important: Please Read This Post First!

Post by Midnight Synergy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:29 am

This forum section is specifically to upload and share your own custom content for the Wonderland Adventures Editor.

General Comments:

1. ZIP it up: Please .zip your files when you upload them. I realise that this creates an extra step for uploading and downloading, but as most of the image files are .bmp the filesize for each is large uncompressed.

2. Quantity vs Quality: Please be selective in what you upload. Rather than cluttering up people's hard drives with lots of level textures that do not vary much from each other, work together to create fewer textures but with more variety and use. Ditto for custom icons - don't upload an entirely new texture just for one new icon. Instead, add them to existing textures - with the original creator's permission. You might again wish to collaborate to create icon batches sorted by theme. Uploads may be removed if they do not add an appropriate amount of value to the community.

3. Naming: be aware that downloading a new leveltexture with a different name will replace the existing one (since all custom leveltextures go into the same directory). Keep this in mind when you name your texture... try to avoid duplication (this goes hand in hand with not creating too many different texture as stated in point #2).

4. Sizes: You MUST follow the existing sizes/formats of the template files. Not doing so will result in errors and/or unwanted results.

Instructions:

Currently (as of v.080) you can create the following content:

1. LevelTextures

This requires that three files are put into the Custom Content\Textures directory. One is the main level 64-texture picture ("leveltex ****.bmp" - replace **** with your texture name) and two textures for the sides of the level ("backgroundtex ****1.bmp" and "backgroundtex ****2.bmp"). All three files should be zipped into a single zip file for upload.

In the Editor, right click on the LEVELTEX button, then type in the **** name of the texture to use. The Texture should now be visible in your level.

For the main leveltex.bmp, follow the guidelines of the custom template (in your Custom Content\Textures directory), and look at the layout of the standard leveltex files. For example, rows #4 and #5 should be used for very specific transition tiles for various floor textures. Keeping these guidelines will mean that you can switch your level between textures without having to re-draw large parts of it.

Finally, there are still many "holes" in the standard leveltex files (Pastoral, Town, Snow, etc.). Suggestions for useful texture to fill these holes are always welcome. Since these would go into a future update, there would need to be general agreement that these additions are worth it (rather than just a single person wanting a particular texture added). Note that the standard leveltex files are included in the Data/LevelTextures folder. Do not distribute these files - they are copyrighted! They are provided to help you with your own leveltexture creations, please keep their use fair.

2. WaterTextures

A single "watertex ****.jpg" needs to be placed into the Custom Content\Textures directory. Again, right-clicking on the Watertex button in the editor will allow you to load this texture.

Each watertexture consists of four scrolling strips 128x512. For general water that covers larger areas, the strip should actually be four repeating pieces 128x128. Using a strip with different graphics along the entire strip will have an unexpected results - I'll leave it to the experimenters out there to see what can be done with this.

3. Custom Icons

These operate slightly differently to level/water textures, as they are supplied with a particular adventure. To use Custom Icons, create your Adventure directory in Windows Explorer first, then copy the "icons-custom.bmp" file into that directory. Note that the filename cannot be different - hence you might need to rename your copied file to the above, if you are storing files in your Custom Content/Icons directory. Use the template from that directory as a guide. Note that the 64th texture cannot be used for an icon, and must remain as is.

4. Custom Models

Yes, there is a directory for Models in the Custom Content folder, but currently custom models are not available.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Fri May 08, 2009 12:27 am

You, i want for customs models are available!And NOW!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Fri May 08, 2009 2:21 am

garirry wrote:You, i want for customs models are available!And NOW!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
It will/would take time to make! Besides we already have custom TEXTURES!!!!! :D :D :D :D
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
2yu556
Rainbow Keeper

Post by 2yu556 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:53 pm

garirry wrote:You, i want for customs models are available!And NOW!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
First off, dont spam the site admin, it's never a good idea, second off, he's probably working very hard on it.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri May 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Sometimes I think it'd be a hoot if Patrick were to announce that because of all the ungrateful whinings on the board, he'll be stopping all future developments on the Editor. :roll: :wink: :twisted:
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:22 pm

Last edited by Emerald141 on Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Last edited by Emerald141 on Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:13 pm

You know what, in this case I actually agree with cbloopy.

Here, I made a graph about it:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:24 pm

Last edited by Emerald141 on Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arahma

Post by arahma » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:06 am

I totaly agree with you Qluf 8) :shock: :shock: :o :wink: :wink:
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:48 am

I have to agree too because I can't even create a proper wall in WA Editor :oops: :lol:
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:10 pm

Last edited by Emerald141 on Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:37 pm

tyteen4a03 wrote:I have to agree too because I can't even create a proper wall in WA Editor :oops: :lol:
I couldn't either, but now my first huge project is going seemingly nowhere and making me irritated.

Bad example... :lol:
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves