The Ultimate WA Editor Hex-Editing Topic! Take A Look!

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed May 06, 2009 10:59 am

Ok, I figure out the problems.

The main problem is that Editor.exe is only able to find unencrypted filenames in the Data\LevelTextures folder. Meaning it can only see filenames like "leveltex hills.bmp", and not encrypted ones like "mfwfmufy ijmmt.wdf". The MAV happens when it can't find any level textures and water texture files with unencrypted filenames in that folder. And demo MOFI still has all encrypted filenames in its Data\LevelTextures folder, unlike WA Editor's Data\LevelTextures folder.

The workaround is to copy the files from WA Editor's Data\LevelTextures folder into demo MOFI's. Note that because demo MOFI has minor updates in some of the textures, this means what you see in the Editor (which is using the non-updated, unencrypted files from WA Editor) may sometimes not look exactly like what you see in the game (which continues using the encrypted files from MOFI, where the minor updates were made). I think MOFI is capable of seeing unencrypted filenames in Data\LevelTexture as well (not tested though), so a more tedious solution would be to rename all the files yourselves in that folder.

There are a few other folders Editor.exe requires to be present. The best way to deal with those is to just copy the following folders over from WA Editor:

User Data\Adventures and everything under it
User Data\Editor Profiles and everything under it
User Data\Custom Content and everything under it (you should've already done so in order to use custom level textures in MOFI)
Data\Editor and everything under it

I've tested that once the Data\LevelTexture issue is taken care of, and all necessary folders in place inside GameData or Data, you can then hex-edit Editor.exe and change "User Data" in there to "GameData" + trailing 00, and the resulting Editor.exe will work correctly.

The fact remains that this combination of hacked WA Editor.exe + hacked demo MOFI wg.exe is simply not thoroughly tested yet. For example, I have no idea whether the Download Inbox/Download Outbox thing actually works in demo MOFI's wg.exe or not, even with all the hacks I've given. But at least nothing should be MAVing anymore.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed May 06, 2009 11:06 am

Clifford wrote:Hmmm, workes but it says can't find mesh data\models\stinker\body.b3d.
Did you mess with the files under Data\Models? Because this error means the Editor cannot find cpez.wd1 inside data\models\stinker, or that file has invalid data (which could be the case if you, say, try to overwrite cpez.wd1 with the kaboom's model file :roll: ). Most likely wg.exe will also stop working if that's the case.
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Wed May 06, 2009 11:41 am

:? Just some questions for everyone: is it possible...

1. to get objects from MoFI that are missing in WA Editor, like tentacles?
2. to hex the WA Editor such that it runs in the MoFI Edited-player?
Last edited by AJQZC on Sat May 09, 2009 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Wed May 06, 2009 1:43 pm

lava: WE DID!

tentacles: If cbloopy finds the right model

MOFI-player on the editor: I don't think so

upgrade: What? Does he need to? Didn't he already?
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed May 06, 2009 6:16 pm

AJQZC wrote:1. to get the lava tile (that enables the "hot spots")?
Already done a while ago
AJQZC wrote:2. to get objects from MoFI that are missing in WA Editor, like tentacles?
Not yet.
AJQZC wrote:3. to hex the WA Editor such that it runs in the MoFI Edited-player?
That was what Clifford was just bugging me on! Read the recent few posts. A lot of it has to do with getting the right files/folders in the right place, and less to do with any hexing of Editor.exe.
AJQZC wrote:4. cbloopy, it is possible to upgrade your MoFI level converter such that it also supports the new models (like Hut, Ferns, Trees etc)?
Why? The whole point I hacked the Editor.exe is so you don't need to use MOFILevelConverter for those decorative models. Isn't it better to see the actual models of the new trees and plants in the editor, instead of some random substitutes? :?
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Thu May 07, 2009 11:54 am

cbloopy wrote:
AJQZC wrote:cbloopy, it is possible to upgrade your MoFI level converter such that it also supports the new models (like Hut, Ferns, Trees etc)?
Why? The whole point I hacked the Editor.exe is so you don't need to use MOFILevelConverter for those decorative models. Isn't it better to see the actual models of the new trees and plants in the editor, instead of some random substitutes? :?
It'll be much better! :wink: Image
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Re

Post by Pawelec » Thu May 07, 2009 3:05 pm

Tentacle model is in Data\Models\Trees under name "ufoubdmf"
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
jozsefkoma
Rainbow Star

Post by jozsefkoma » Sat May 09, 2009 7:14 am

I did Rainbow Cuboid! Now cuboid has 8 colors:
red
orange
yellow
green
blue
indigo
purple
and RAINBOW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jozsefkoma
Rainbow Star

Post by jozsefkoma » Sat May 09, 2009 7:25 am

Now cuboid has 9 color.
red
orange
yellow
green
blue
indigo
purple
RAINBOW
and white
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat May 09, 2009 7:53 am

I actually have used them in the MOFILevelConverter WOPs if you look carefully.

It comes about because cuboids use the same textures as the teleporters. In fact, gems and shards also use those textures, so you can also get white and rainbow gems and shards by setting the color value to 7 and 8.
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Sat May 09, 2009 7:59 am

How do we change the colour to a range above 0 to 6? By hacking?
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat May 09, 2009 10:14 pm

That's possible, but it'd probably be easier to just hex-edit the WOP to set the color to 7 or 8.
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Sun May 10, 2009 4:02 am

cbloopy wrote:
CatHat5678 wrote:hey every one
i worked out how to get rid if that thing that comes up when
you try to exit the mofi demo!
Well you know this is coming eventually, but to hack demo MOFI's wg.exe to get rid of the demo stuff:

1) open demo MOFI's wg.exe in a hex editor.

2) use the hex editor's search feature to find the following sequence of bytes (in hex):

Code: Select all

C7 04 24 00 00 00 00 E8 FC FF FF FF C7 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C7
Double check that it only finds one occurrence of the above byte sequence in the file. If not then abort the remaining steps and let me know.

3) Change the 5th-to-last byte from 00 to 01. In other words, make the above byte sequence end with "01 00 00 00 C7" instead.

4) save the changes.

This change has the following effects:
- no more buy nag when you exit game
- the word "demo" is no longer displayed after the version number on the main screen
- "Discussion Forum" is added to the main menu

(And don't worry, the custom adventure stuff still works.)
Could you make it so that:
- the word "demo" is no longer displayed after the version number on the main screen
- "Discussion Forum" isn't added to the main menu
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Sun May 10, 2009 4:03 am

cbloopy wrote:
CatHat5678 wrote:hey every one
i worked out how to get rid if that thing that comes up when
you try to exit the mofi demo!
Well you know this is coming eventually, but to hack demo MOFI's wg.exe to get rid of the demo stuff:

1) open demo MOFI's wg.exe in a hex editor.

2) use the hex editor's search feature to find the following sequence of bytes (in hex):

Code: Select all

C7 04 24 00 00 00 00 E8 FC FF FF FF C7 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C7
Double check that it only finds one occurrence of the above byte sequence in the file. If not then abort the remaining steps and let me know.

3) Change the 5th-to-last byte from 00 to 01. In other words, make the above byte sequence end with "01 00 00 00 C7" instead.

4) save the changes.

This change has the following effects:

(And don't worry, the custom adventure stuff still works.)
\

Can you make it so that:
- "Discussion Forum" isn't added to the main menu
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun May 10, 2009 4:06 am

Clifford has a point, the Version/Demo thing is pretty odd, and then the ad for MoFI at the end is somewhat... annoying, if you will.

However, I can't help but wonder why one would want to remove the Discussion Board link from the Main Menu... :?
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sun May 10, 2009 5:11 am

Qloof234 wrote:Clifford has a point, the Version/Demo thing is pretty odd, and then the ad for MoFI at the end is somewhat... annoying, if you will.

However, I can't help but wonder why one would want to remove the Discussion Board link from the Main Menu... :?
Right, so the hack I've given does exactly everything you want. What's your point? :? :wink:
cbloopy, in the description of what my hack does wrote:This change has the following effects:
---------------------------------
Clifford wrote:"Discussion Forum" isn't added to the main menu
It's probably possible, but hardly on top of my list of things to do.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun May 10, 2009 5:19 am

Shoot, I didn't even notice that until now. :oops:
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon May 11, 2009 2:43 am

I found something SUPER ODD!!!

When i clicked exit game and then clicked yes please, It said something like you havn't saved your game and when I put my mouse over it it turned white!!! Then underneath it was

Yes, it doen;t matter
No, Save my game
http://www.pcpuzzle.com/forum (but you couldn't see http:// or /forum)

:? :? :? :?
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon May 11, 2009 2:47 am

Also, a modell swap! I replaced the Ice Troll model with the thwart model and replaced the textures = Tada!!!

Edit: But... MOFI's Models are oversized!!!
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon May 11, 2009 2:49 am

Hmm, I seached the forum link and I found it, I althered it but... nothing happens!?!
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon May 11, 2009 2:57 am

Oops! Quadriple Post...
cbloopy wrote:Ok, I figure out the problems.

The main problem is that Editor.exe is only able to find unencrypted filenames in the Data\LevelTextures folder. Meaning it can only see filenames like "leveltex hills.bmp", and not encrypted ones like "mfwfmufy ijmmt.wdf". The MAV happens when it can't find any level textures and water texture files with unencrypted filenames in that folder. And demo MOFI still has all encrypted filenames in its Data\LevelTextures folder, unlike WA Editor's Data\LevelTextures folder.

The workaround is to copy the files from WA Editor's Data\LevelTextures folder into demo MOFI's. Note that because demo MOFI has minor updates in some of the textures, this means what you see in the Editor (which is using the non-updated, unencrypted files from WA Editor) may sometimes not look exactly like what you see in the game (which continues using the encrypted files from MOFI, where the minor updates were made). I think MOFI is capable of seeing unencrypted filenames in Data\LevelTexture as well (not tested though), so a more tedious solution would be to rename all the files yourselves in that folder.

There are a few other folders Editor.exe requires to be present. The best way to deal with those is to just copy the following folders over from WA Editor:

User Data\Adventures and everything under it
User Data\Editor Profiles and everything under it
User Data\Custom Content and everything under it (you should've already done so in order to use custom level textures in MOFI)
Data\Editor and everything under it

I've tested that once the Data\LevelTexture issue is taken care of, and all necessary folders in place inside GameData or Data, you can then hex-edit Editor.exe and change "User Data" in there to "GameData" + trailing 00, and the resulting Editor.exe will work correctly.

The fact remains that this combination of hacked WA Editor.exe + hacked demo MOFI wg.exe is simply not thoroughly tested yet. For example, I have no idea whether the Download Inbox/Download Outbox thing actually works in demo MOFI's wg.exe or not, even with all the hacks I've given. But at least nothing should be MAVing anymore.
How do we rename them???

If you don't get me then what I mean is...

a=?
b=?
c=?
d=?
e=?
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Mon May 11, 2009 7:47 am

Deleted
Last edited by AJQZC on Tue May 12, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Mon May 11, 2009 10:09 am

Clifford wrote:How do we rename them???

If you don't get me then what I mean is...

a=?
b=?
c=?
d=?
e=?
The 'encrypted' filenames? To decrypt the filenames, shift all the letters back one letter in the alphabet, so:

a = z
b = a
c = b
d = c
etc.
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Tue May 12, 2009 9:32 am

I get it! Thanks!

EDIT: :lol: when you try to say it e.g. say mfwfmufy ijmmt it sounds weird!

Hmmm, mufwufmufy ijmut! I said it!!! :!: Yay!
jozsefkoma
Rainbow Star

Post by jozsefkoma » Tue May 12, 2009 3:35 pm

Fake cuboid! 8)
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Wed May 13, 2009 11:37 am

Thanks. :lol: Actually, you can just change the cube's X-position or Y-position.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Mon May 25, 2009 4:47 pm

Anything new lately by anyone? :|
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Tue May 26, 2009 1:00 pm

Well, if there's really nothing new these few days, perhaps it's time for us to contribute something to this thread. :wink:
bround
Rainbow Master

Post by bround » Tue May 26, 2009 1:28 pm

Well, I join. Somebody need all MOFI WDFs that i have?

EDIT:
All Custom Items' Texture: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ynmmgzjztym
Avid TTR player and TTS developer, a new revolutionary server in works.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue May 26, 2009 6:16 pm

AJQZC wrote:Well, if there's really nothing new these few days, perhaps it's time for us to contribute something to this thread. :wink:
All kidding aside, please don't clutter that thread. :wink: If you absolutely think there's some WOP or program that people really want to download, you can create a new post in that thread, and then please just edit that same post (instead of starting new ones) for any future updates.