Wonderland Adventures: Quantum Tunnel - Update Topic

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Wonderland Adventures: Quantum Tunnel - Update Topic

Post by Qloof234 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:59 am

Okay, I've decided that since I'm going off the deep end either way, I might as well do so thoroughly.

Yeah.

If you haven't gotten it from the logo, this is indeed a complete remake of Portal in the Wonderland Adventures Editor.

However, instead of having 19 rooms, then the back areas, and then the end, this project is intended to have 39 rooms and then possibly more back rooms.

It uses A LOT of Custom textures - it has a Portal level texture, it uses the Lava water texture, and it's got about a dozen Custom object textures.

I can't specify a release date, other than the fact that it will definitely be done sometime soon, with around 27 rooms already.

I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I have something that says much, much more than a thousand words.

This is the trailer to the game, on YouTube. Yes, it's based off the actual Portal Teaser Trailer, but that's the whole point.

Planned Additions:

-Full Portal Soundtrack
-Even more Custom Graphics
-Full ending GLaDOS "fight"
-Credits sequence with the song "Still Alive"
-Commentary about each area
-Ending area with optional puzzles

I know, it's pretty ambitious, but I know what I'm doing this time, and I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. :lol:

Comments? Criticism? :wink:
Last edited by Qloof234 on Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jozsefkoma
Rainbow Star

Post by jozsefkoma » Thu May 07, 2009 8:27 am

WOW
:shock: :stinkyeek: :pirateeek:
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Thu May 07, 2009 8:46 am

Criticisism, Qloof? How could there be any criticism? :wink: Jdl gave me the link to your video, and it is truly incredible, maybe the most amazing thing anything I've ever seen in Wonderland! The video really makes me want to play it.

I wonder what I'll think of this Portal game after I play this...
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
2yu556
Rainbow Keeper

Don't know what to say

Post by 2yu556 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:21 pm

Uhhh... Before you release this can you explain to me how the stupid object textures work? Because they don't seem to work for me. Scritter boxes? Just wow... All I really have to say...
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:38 pm

It certainly looks awesome and I can't wait to play it. :D

BUT!

In the video, at the very end. It says "(C) Midnight Synergy 2004" but it was released in 2007! *killed*
dlcs18
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Re: Latest Wonderland Adventures Project

Post by cbloopy » Thu May 07, 2009 6:28 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I can't specify a release date, other than the fact that it will definitely be done sometime soon, with around 27 rooms already.

I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I have something that says much, much more than a thousand words.

This is the trailer to the game, on YouTube.
:shock: 8)
I have to admit I was a little skeptical when reading the post, but after seeing the trailer video, all doubts have been erased! Can't wait for the 1st demo to be out!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:03 pm

@jozsefkoma; Heh, thanks. :D

@mqdar; You really think so? I really don't know what to say to this, except - Thanks.

@2yu556; By that you mean the custom textures on top of objects, right?

This is a link to a .zip file of a bunch of the .wop data files in the editor that have been changed so that you can add the custom object textures. The folders in here go into the Data/Editor/ObjectPresets folder, overwriting everything in there. Note that by default, the game looks for the texture files in the base folder (WA Editor v096), so make a Custom folder in that directory and put all custom object textures in there.

@Dlcs; Wasn't Wonderland Adventures released in 2004, though? Not the editor, but the game itself, seeing as MoFI was released 4 years later, in 2008.

@cbloopy; I'm not surprised, honestly - I came up with this by accident, playing Portal and then wondering, "How would this look in Wonderland...", and then I ended up with this. :lol:
------------------

Apart from that, I went and snagged a dozen pictures out of the game.

The starting area. Yes, that's what my Glass .wop file was for. :wink:

The glove and the Red Arrow in the corner are there for... testing, if you will. :wink:

Like the original game, trying to get the player used to things in the game. Unlike the game, this is attempting to get the player used to the "Scritter Cubes". :lol:

Funny how one of the simpler areas in the original game ended up so complex... :lol:

This place was a nightmare. I had to set up a pretty dang complex portal activation system, which is hiding under the walls. For that reason, the other chamber in game that has this method and relies on it is altered to make it less painful.

The method itself is rather glitchy, and I have no honest idea why it's like that. The Orange Portal in the wall, however, I know how to fix. :lol:

"Mind the gap!" :wink:

This level is probably where you'll have to start saving, because it's the first level where there's a real risk of screwing up.

The barrels are explosive, and there's a hidden Homing Missile flower.

I'm evil, I know. :twisted:

This one was pretty hard to put together, harder to figure out, and easy to time.

It uses the flip glitch to get the barrel on top of a round button (keeping the gates open), so you need to time the homing missile to destroy the barrel and not kill the Spikeyballs.

Once again, it took a while for me to decide on how to do this.

The screenshot shows one of the more evil parts of the game - having to step through a Portal to be thrown at a moving transporter.

It's just a matter of timing, really. :lol:

Chamber 8, one of my least favorite levels in the actual game. Somehow, though, I managed to make it one of my faves here.

Except it depends on landing on the transporter through a Portal, but the chance of drowning is slightly higher. :twisted:

"This next test is impossible."

This was really tricky to pull off - the actual game uses its full 3D movement to make the impossible test possible, so I had to do something else. :wink:

The momentum levels were pretty tricky to figure out in my head, but transferred into WA relatively easily. Only problem here is that the player can skip over some of the bouncers, thus leaving them stuck on a platform or something.

I'm working on getting rid of this, don't worry... :lol:

The level where the player finally gets the fully upgraded Portal gun in the real game. I was hard pressed on what to do about this in general, but I'm pretty happy with its end result. :wink:
---------------------------------------------

Shoot, I didn't think that the post would end up this long to be honest. :lol:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Qloof234 wrote: @Dlcs; Wasn't Wonderland Adventures released in 2004, though? Not the editor, but the game itself, seeing as MoFI was released 4 years later, in 2008.
Return to Wonderland Deluxe was released in 2004! :lol:
This whole forum has only existed since September 2003. :wink:
dlcs18
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:24 pm

Go me, I wasn't exactly thinking straight.

Fixed it in the video. :lol:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Thu May 07, 2009 7:38 pm

Qloof234 wrote:The method itself is rather glitchy, and I have no honest idea why it's like that.
Sounds like a technical thing that I might be able to assist with. PM me if you want some help.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:45 pm

The problem really doesn't present itself with the Portal activation system itself, but once the player enters the portal, it offsets the flow (e.g. Teleporter is active, but Portal graphic is not).

I know how to fix it, and now I want to kick myself for only just figuring it out. :lol:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Thu May 14, 2009 6:16 pm

any updates?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:44 pm

Yup. I got two new pictures of already completed areas, and one concept that ended up as a level (in the editor)... And something that came with it by complete accident. :lol:

This was an idea that I had; the general premise was an automatic level. It works fine, but something you might note: This area uses Rainbow colored teleporters and also white ones. If you've seen my zip file of the WA-Portal textures (of the portals themselves), you'll notice that there isn't a white or rainbow colored portal cover in there, because I didn't make either of them at that time.

Or at least, until now.

Both of those make their first appearance in this level. I could've done the rainbow one in the same general idea as the other 8, but I decided not to. :wink:

And now, level 13 (12) and 14 (13):

More momentum puzzles. :twisted:

Despite how it looks, this area is deceptively simple. :wink:

I plan on making at least one other trailer video for the game, but when, I have no clue. :lol:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I plan on making at least one other trailer video for the game, but when, I have no clue. :lol:
Forgot the trailer video, just release a demo already! :wink: :lol:

Really, given obviously how much work you've already put into this, it would be totally tragic if no one gets to play even an incomplete version of it.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:20 am

cbloopy wrote:Really, given obviously how much work you've already put into this, it would be totally tragic if no one gets to play even an incomplete version of it.
Believe me, I'm testing a demo of areas 1 through 29, along with area 39, right now.

I'm going to post it along with the texture files when I'm done testing it. :wink:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:36 pm

I hate to say this, but an unexpected technical... malfunction has postponed this project for the time being.

I don't know why, but when I got up in the morning, the free space on my computer had gone from 2 dozen GB free space straight to 0. I don't have any space to keep working on this project, at least until my computer understands what "cleaning up space" means.

Sorry guys... :(
stinky2
Rainbow Keeper

Post by stinky2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:39 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I hate to say this, but an unexpected technical... malfunction has postponed this project for the time being.

I don't know why, but when I got up in the morning, the free space on my computer had gone from 2 dozen GB free space straight to 0. I don't have any space to keep working on this project, at least until my computer understands what "cleaning up space" means.

Sorry guys... :(
well, do you unistall any software you dont need? or if you woke up and it was zero gigabites, then i cant see what happened. mamby you can import some files on a datastick and clear up space off the hard drive.
Too busy with EHM2007
My record:
Atlanta Thrashers: 1 Stanley cup (4 seasons)
Detroit Red Wings: 4 Stanley cups (8 seasons)
Dallas Stars: 1 Stanley cup (2nd season in progress)
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:47 pm

I'm busy cleaning out stuff right now, actually. I'm kinda freaked out though - I have 200 GB space (I know, I suck at organization), and somehow 24 filled up overnight, and I have ONLY THREE PROGRAMS that are MORE than 1GB in size.

I'm scared of you, Windows Vista... I'm scared... :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:11 am

Okay, multi-post... Again...

I deleted a bunch of useless stuff in my Documents folder - it was more than 31 GB. :shock:

With that over and done with, I can work on Quantum Tunnel again. Crisis over. :wink:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 am

Qloof234 wrote:I deleted a bunch of useless stuff in my Documents folder - it was more than 31 GB. :shock:
Wow, that's unreal. :shock: The only thing I can think of that could remotely explain this is maybe if you were recording a video or something and accidentally left it recording overnight. I'm glad the "crisis" is over.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:10 am

Well, seeing as my computer is acting normal and my internet finally allowed me to upload it...

~Wonderland Adventures: Quantum Tunnel~ Demo Release 1

As for the links...

(The level itself)

(The custom textures)

As for the level texture, it's in the zip file at the bottom of this post.

For the textures (in the above orange portal link), those need to be extracted to the WA Editor v96/Custom folder.

Enjoy! :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CatHat5678
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by CatHat5678 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:52 am

AMAZEING!absoloutly amazeing!
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because if the road crossed the chicken the old lady's would trip over the bump!
(no offence to anyone who thinks of themselves as "old")
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:02 am

Qloof234 wrote:~Wonderland Adventures: Quantum Tunnel~ Demo Release 1
BRAVO!!!! 8) :D :wink:

Definitely amongst one of the best adventures I've played so far from anyone. There are some really nice puzzles in there. Nothing too super-hard, but really well thought out and very good variety. And of course making all the graphics Portal-like is quite a cool feat.

Only two issues:
- you forgot to include PortalGrey and PortalRainbow in the custom object textures zip file
- the TNT barrels in 8.wlv are not custom-textured

I'm also confused once in a while by portals that are no longer usable (as in, there are no buttons nearby to reactivate the teleporters anymore), but their graphics are still there. One prime example is the red portal at the level with the first appearance of Pop charger. Is that the intended visual effect, or is it some sort of "technical limitation" (meaning you haven't found a way to make things look the way you want)? In any case, I've added/updated some WOPs in hope that it may be of some help (if not, I'm sure someone sometime in the future will probably find some use :wink: ).
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:01 pm

CatHat5678 wrote:AMAZEING!absoloutly amazeing!
Thanks! :D
cbloopy wrote: Definitely amongst one of the best adventures I've played so far from anyone. There are some really nice puzzles in there. Nothing too super-hard, but really well thought out and very good variety. And of course making all the graphics Portal-like is quite a cool feat.
I... I don't know what to say... Except maybe thanks... :lol:

- you forgot to include PortalGrey and PortalRainbow in the custom object textures zip file
Ha, whoops. The below zip has both of those files in it. :lol:
- the TNT barrels in 8.wlv are not custom-textured
If this is the level I'm thinking of, then yeah, I completely forgot to do that.
I'm also confused once in a while by portals that are no longer usable (as in, there are no buttons nearby to reactivate the teleporters anymore), but their graphics are still there. One prime example is the red portal at the level with the first appearance of Pop charger. Is that the intended visual effect, or is it some sort of "technical limitation" (meaning you haven't found a way to make things look the way you want)?
Heh, actually, stuff like that are essentially just... operator error on my part. As for the .wop files, I'm probably going to take use of them with portals.

About the Portal Teleporter .wop though, is it just essentially a teleporter with a flat tile model on it? If so, can I use the Yaw/Roll/PitchAdjust on it?

If so, then I'll probably end up using that in place of my current Portal system.

Thanks for the comments, both of you!

If I manage to keep level design on a constant basis, then the only thing I think I should be worrying about is how to get something similar to the GLaDOS fight from the game working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:25 pm

Qloof234 wrote:About the Portal Teleporter .wop though, is it just essentially a teleporter with a flat tile model on it? If so, can I use the Yaw/Roll/PitchAdjust on it?
Yes and yes.
If so, then I'll probably end up using that in place of my current Portal system.
Ok. Although your current system does have an advantage in one commom case. With the portal teleporter, you will actually see the portals go away and come back as you use one and then step on the invisible GC button to reactivate it. With your current system, for the kinds of portals that are set up to be used any number of times you want, the portal graphics will stay around, which makes sense if the intend is a portal that's always opened.

If you use the portal teleporter.wop, make sure to change ActivationType (I guess I should've set the default in the WOP to something better but I forgot). The original ActivationType for teleporters is GrowZ (1) which obviously isn't very good for a flat square. Use 3 (GrowXY) instead, to make the circle expand and shrink.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:26 pm

cbloopy wrote:Use 3 (GrowXY) instead, to make the circle expand and shrink.
That's perfect! Thanks! :D
stinky2
Rainbow Keeper

Post by stinky2 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:52 pm

its a very good adventure, Qloof!
Too busy with EHM2007
My record:
Atlanta Thrashers: 1 Stanley cup (4 seasons)
Detroit Red Wings: 4 Stanley cups (8 seasons)
Dallas Stars: 1 Stanley cup (2nd season in progress)
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:46 am

*HUGE BUMP*

Okay, I suck. I completely forgot about this project because of everything that was going on at school - Between having to talk to the counselor some days, and one of my only friends at school moving away this year...

A-Anyways! :lol:

I'm still working on the project, and working on the lengthy procedure of putting in the GS Teleporters that Cbloopy made.

I do plan on updating this again once I can get things moving.

Sorry about that, guys. :oops:
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:13 am

Last edited by Emerald141 on Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Got an update for level 30 and 31 (by Portal standards, Chamber 29 and 30, respectively).

Can anyone guess how this level works? :wink:

One other thing for the project in general. I'm considering changing the game into a WA:MoFI project, so that the hub can be used to provide a more involving world, and so that I can change all the levels past 18 to bonus levels (except of course, the original level 19 which is now level 38 or something...).

What do you guys think? Should I:

A) Keep it as one whole level in the WA Editor
B) Change it into a WA project with a hub

I'll end up using whichever has the more votes by Sept. 8th (when school starts).

Also, one last picture of the last of the test chambers:

Last edited by Qloof234 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.