New Adventure: Red Magic Cavern

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

New Adventure: Red Magic Cavern

Post by cbloopy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:22 am

I finally finished my first custom adventure! :D

It really gives me tons of respect for the people who created the WA games. Making an adventure is hard, sometimes tedious work! I think the time I spent on this, I could've solved like 10 adventures in the game! :shock:

This adventure features the special magic that we can now get in the editor, thanks to Clifford. In particular this one is all about the red "homing missile" magic first discovered by dlcs18. Think of it like a "Learning to Brr" level for that magic.

Anyway, enjoy. Remember, you don't have to get all gems and coins, but do so if you want a bit of challenge (okay, maybe more than a bit). Good luck! :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cbloopy on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
321 II
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by 321 II » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:15 pm

Can't pass after-spike area.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:01 pm

It's a good adventure so far. :D I am currently at the orange teleporter part.

But... I can't help noticing you have credited Clifford for finding the red magic gloves, I discovered them in early 2008, here.
dlcs18
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:56 pm

dlcs18 wrote:But... I can't help noticing you have credited Clifford for finding the red magic gloves, I discovered them in early 2008, here.
Oops sorry you're right, I got so excited by Clifford's test level that I forgot you could already get the red magic in the editor with the Shift-click trick. I've edited my post to credit your discovery.
321 II wrote:Can't pass after-spike area.
highlight to read hint wrote:Make sure you recharge your glove before tackling the barrels. Think diagonal as you blast your path through the barrels. Blast no more than 8 times to past the level, and no more than 7 times if you also want to get all gems.
richmond2010
Rainbow Seeker

Post by richmond2010 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:32 am

Well, you can’t do diagonals as there are walls.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:22 pm

richmond2010 wrote:Well, you can’t do diagonals as there are walls.
Not sure what you mean. Here's how to get through the barrels in the orange key area with 7 red spells:
highlight to read wrote:
X*XXX
*XXXX
*XXXX
X*X**
XX*XX

where X is a barrel, and * are the ones you should blast away. For most of the barrels, you can hit them by aiming at an orange key nearby.
richmond2010
Rainbow Seeker

Post by richmond2010 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:04 am

THX! :D
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Re: New Adventure: Red Magic Cavern

Post by Clifford » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:16 am

cbloopy wrote:I finally finished my first custom adventure! :D

It really gives me tons of respect for the people who created the WA games. Making an adventure is hard, sometimes tedious work! I think the time I spent on this, I could've solved like 10 adventures in the game! :shock:

This adventure features the special magic that we can now get in the editor, thanks to Clifford. In particular this one is all about the red "homing missile" magic first discovered by dlcs18. Think of it like a "Learning to Brr" level for that magic.

Anyway, enjoy. Remember, you don't have to get all gems and coins, but do so if you want a bit of challenge (okay, maybe more than a bit). Good luck! :wink:
Cbloofy! I really didn't do anything!
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:43 pm

Cbloopy, why do you need to save two shot at the barrels? I can recharge next to the flower :?

What I can't do, is to set up the transporters so that I'll reach those gems.
I use the turtle to stop one transporter, not sure if it's the right one, though. It stops left of the turtle.
Inger
Norway
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:06 pm

Salin wrote:Cbloopy, why do you need to save two shot at the barrels? I can recharge next to the flower :?
highlight to read wrote:You don't have to. But notice, to get out of the place where you recharge, you need to hit the blue (indigo) diamondonce button to activate a teleport. But that button also closes a gate that leads to a gem (the one you pass by before entering the purple teleport).

You do need to save at least one shot for the barrel that blocks the turtle's way to the blue (cyan) button.
Salin wrote:What I can't do, is to set up the transporters so that I'll reach those gems.
I use the turtle to stop one transporter, not sure if it's the right one, though. It stops left of the turtle.
You're very close! 8)
highlight to read hint wrote:Having the transporter stop there will allow you to shoot something you can't before, since you now have a new position you can aim your red magic towards. But you need to do the shooting quick, there's just a short window of opportunity.

(Yes, this means you don't really need both transporters. I put in a 2nd one as a red herring.)
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:41 pm

Oh yes off course, (banging my head) I didn't think of that shot for the turtle. :roll: Thanks for the hint, now I can move on :lol:

Nice work, BTW :lol:
Inger
Norway
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:46 pm

OK, so now I did the turtle/transpo/flower move, and are now at the barrels surrounding the blue button. I can only get one barrel shot, so I can't reach the gems and coins at both sides. Is that what the turtles are for?
Inger
Norway
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:23 am

Salin wrote:OK, so now I did the turtle/transpo/flower move, and are now at the barrels surrounding the blue button. I can only get one barrel shot, so I can't reach the gems and coins at both sides. Is that what the turtles are for?
The turtles are intended for the next part, so no, although I have to say I haven't thought at all of using the turtles for the part you're at.

The part you're at does require some fast fingers and a bunch of experimentation. It's tricky to get enough barrels shot for one side of gems and coins, and even more tricky to get both sides. Even when I played I have to retry a few times at that part to get both sides. I did consider at one point to make it easier so that you could get both sides if you were able to clear the barrel for one side.

Anyway, some hints:
highlight to read wrote:1) Basically, you'll need to fire off multiple shots quickly, right before you move across the Pop chargers (which are only there to remove your red magic) and slide around the ice. This is how you can clear off multiple barrels.

2) You should experiment with aiming your red magic diagonally (but northwards so that they turn around and follow you), and also experiment with where you fire the magic and then what steps you take to get onto the ice. The idea is that when the fireballs start turning around following you, they will take a path that first curves to one side and then to the other, giving them opportunity to destroy barrels on both the left and the right.

3) 4 shots are enough to clear enough barrels to get the gems and coins on both sides. More shots might clear more barrels but will give you less time to run away from the fireballs as they head towards you.

4) Although you should start moving as soon as you finish firing the shots, you actually want to wait almost at the last minute before you take the step onto ice.
Good luck! I can also make a video of that part (maybe not this week though) if someone needs proof that it can be done. I guess I could also release an easier version of the adventure for those who need that (I'm thinking of making the diamondonce button just a diamond button so it can be used more than once.)
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:52 am

Thanks for the tip. And here I am, having problem getting away with the one shot :lol: :lol: I might not ever get it :cry:

Can you please make more levels? :lol:
Inger
Norway
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:56 pm

Salin wrote:Thanks for the tip. And here I am, having problem getting away with the one shot :lol: :lol: I might not ever get it :cry:
Here's my video of that part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmblDGUi2IQ

Now that I look at it myself, it is kinda crazy to execute. :shock: :lol: If you want to edit the level and remove the Pop chargers, I won't tell. :wink:
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:22 pm

I might do that if I knew how :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the video, will go see it now!
Inger
Norway
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:19 am

WOW, I never thought of shooting in that direction :lol: Thanks for your efford and for a fun and challenging level :lol:
Inger
Norway
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Finally made it to the turtle and last area. And off course, I don't get it :wink:
Shall I pop one of the transporters first?
Inger
Norway
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:13 am

Salin wrote:Shall I pop one of the transporters first?
You can, although I can tell you that wasn't the solution I intended, and even though popping one of the transporters does lead to an alternate solution, I don't think it's any easier (unless I overlooked something).

I'm assuming you want the solution that lets you get all the gems, and let's try my solution that doesn't use pop. I assume you've at least gotten to the point of blowing up one of the TNT barrels with your magic, and press the diamond button to release one of the turtles and saw the interesting ride it took with the transporters.
highlight to read hints wrote:The idea is to have the other turtle take a similar ride with the transporters. Except unlike the first turtle, the other turtle won't encounter the TNT barrel since you already blew it up, so once it's off the transporters, it will instead move to the area with the cage trap and more importantly, the diamond button that can release the trap...hmm...

The trouble though is that if you just stand there and do nothing, you'll not be able to get one of the transporters in the right place for the second turtle to ride the transporters like the first turtle. With the first turtle, the transporter you didn't ride is still on the side away from the gates, so when you press the diamond button, that transporter will come over just in time for the first turtle to get on it. You need the transporters set up in a similar fashion for the second turtle.

How to set that up? You'll find that merely pressing the diamond buttons doesn't quite do it since the button affects both transporters. But actually, going back to the first turtle, there's a very brief moment when lots of things are moving, that if you press the diamond button only one of the transporters will respond to the button, because buttons don't affect transporters already in motion. This is the key to setting up the transporters so that the second turtle can ride them.
I'll give a more explicit walkthrough if the hints aren't enough.