New adventure - At the right time

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
sewel5
Rainbow Keeper

New adventure - At the right time

Post by sewel5 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:51 pm

Well, below are the textures used.

Scroll down for level.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sewel5 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll get a toontown membership if I can make bread.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:47 am

Wow, this is probably one of the hardest custom adventures I've played so far! :shock: You also did a wonderful job with the visuals and dialogue, they're honestly as good as the ones seen in the official games. 8)

I'm still 2 gems short of gold though:
highlight to read wrote:The two gems that you can get if you set the spring in the ice-thwart room to go SW. If I set the spring that direction, I have to spend 2 Brrs to reach the rotator button again, since the spring will block my normal path to the button (it'll bounce me away before I can get to the button). But so far I need 7 Brrs just to get across the water from the start of that area, and 2 more to get to the levelexit. So I'm forced to skip those 2 gems.

I've even examined the levels in the editor and I still don't see a way to both complete the adventure and get those two gems.
Also, there's one part that doesn't really make sense to me:
highlight to read wrote:The "red or green" part and the "use logic" hint doesn't really make sense to me. I fail to see the logic behind the riddle. In fact, I first picked green because the sign is green. Isn't that more logical? :wink: Or are you being deliberately ironic? (ie. meant to be illogical) :?:
Finally:
highlight to read wrote:You don't need to actually press the "rainbow" buttons in the correct order. You just need to hit the one corresponding to "purple", and there's no penalty to hitting the wrong buttons.

If you want, you could make it work the intended way using a sequence of invisible diamondonce color-changing buttons and an offscreen gate initially blocking an offscreen monster/NPC from reaching an offscreen GC button that activates the bridge.
sewel5
Rainbow Keeper

Post by sewel5 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:01 pm

For the 2 gems in the ice-thwart room, the spring for the gems is used later when you have the white key. The spring should go west.
Yeah, I guess. But Fireflowers are green, and fire isn't red. So maybe some logic.
Oops, I forgot to set the CMD buttons to non-active. :oops:

Below is the twice fixed level and I used tundras texture so for those who don't have it yet, click here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sewel5 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:05 pm

I've downloaded everything for this adventure but when I start to play it I get a "couldn't load texture: scrittersnow.bmp" error message. I've downloaded it to the textures folder in Custom Content, is that right? :?
Pauline
sewel5
Rainbow Keeper

Post by sewel5 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:19 pm

I created a new folder in the WA Editor folder and named it Custom.
Well at least that's what I think other people do.
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:23 pm

sewel5 wrote:I created a new folder in the WA Editor folder and named it Custom.
Well at least that's what I think other people do.
Thanks, sewel5! :D

It had puzzled me when I couldn't load a "MOFIbridge.bmp" texture and custom level by cbloopy when I had put the texture in the Custom Texture directory.

The only problem now is that, it doesn't work on the editor, even after I have put in the "Generic Square." :shock:

(See this thread)
Last edited by AJQZC on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:25 pm

I've just tried doing that and I still get the same error message.

The editor folder is in the data folder isn't it, and not the user data folder? In the editor folder there are two folders, one called ObjectPresets and one called TilePresets. You made a folder called Custom alongside those two did you, and then just put the bmps and pngs in that folder?
Pauline
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:27 pm

popo wrote:I've just tried doing that and I still get the same error message.

The editor folder is in the data folder isn't it, and not the user data folder? In the editor folder there are two folders, one called ObjectPresets and one called TilePresets. You made a folder called Custom alongside those two did you, and then just put the bmps and pngs in that folder?
Well, you can create a folder in the first directory, i.e. the one which contains the Editor and Player. Then add the textures there.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:45 pm

Nope, it's still not working, although now it's saying can't load texture: iceflower.png.

I am just trying to play this level, not make a level, so why does it need to go in the editor.

I've tried making a custom folder in the main directory, in the data folder, and in the editor folder. It isn't working wherever I put it. My folder is filling up with debug files.

I think I'll just delete the whole adventure and give it up as a bad job.
Pauline
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:18 pm

To me it can't load ScritterSnow.bmp I have scrittersnow.bmp in my textures folder, and I tried to rename it from scrittersnow to ScritterSnow, but it didn't help. :evil:
Inger
Norway
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:19 pm

popo wrote:Nope, it's still not working, although now it's saying can't load texture: iceflower.png.

I am just trying to play this level, not make a level, so why does it need to go in the editor.

I've tried making a custom folder in the main directory, in the data folder, and in the editor folder. It isn't working wherever I put it. My folder is filling up with debug files.

I think I'll just delete the whole adventure and give it up as a bad job.
For people who're still having trouble with the adventure, take a look:
Last edited by cbloopy on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:25 pm

To clarify, due to help on my part, we worked out a way to allow you to customize the texture of objects (eg. monsters, gates, etc.) in the editor, not just textures for tiles like leveltex do.

At the time, I suggested to put the graphics in c:\WA Editor v096\Custom, partly because I thought there was a limit on how long the path can be in the Editor, and partly to save typing for adventure designers that take advantage of the new feature.

However, based on my better understanding now, I don't think the length is an issue, so perhaps it would be less confusing to those not familiar with this new feature if adventure designers would set the objects' custom texture paths to "User Data\Custom Content\Textures" or "User Data\Custom Content\Models" instead, if people don't mind the extra typing when making the adventures in the editor.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:29 pm

popo wrote:Nope, it's still not working, although now it's saying can't load texture: iceflower.png.
Actually, I just remembered something about that one. For some reason the forum changes the name of that file to "Iceflower_584" or something like that when you download it. (...um, Patrick :?: ) You need to change it back to the intended name ("iceflower.png") when you save it.
You don't need to go in the editor. You just need to put the files in the location expected by the adventure.
Last edited by cbloopy on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:35 pm

One more thing: unlike object textures, the game won't complain if you're missing the custom leveltex, but of course the adventure wouldn't look right. So here's a screenshot of the area at the beginning as a reference of what it should look like with the correct custom leveltex:
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:16 am

Thanks for all your hard work cbloopy. I had a folder just where you're showing and it still didn't work. But I hadn't got the 'empty' file in there so maybe that's why. :? Not sure if the iceflower.png changed it's name. I've deleted it now so can't look. I'll try downloading it all again and give another go. :)
Pauline
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:26 am

Well.... I've downloaded them again and put the four custom things in a folder in the main directory..... and it's working! :D

BUT!! Is everything meant to be going at a hundred miles an hour? :? The spikey ball is going so fast I can see 4 of it, and the stinker at the front is just a blur, and those bridges are up and down so fast I can't get over them. Is this a glitch or what? :shock: My stinker is moving normally though.
Pauline
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:41 am

popo wrote:BUT!! Is everything meant to be going at a hundred miles an hour? :? The spikey ball is going so fast I can see 4 of it, and the stinker at the front is just a blur, and those bridges are up and down so fast I can't get over them. Is this a glitch or what? :shock: My stinker is moving normally though.
I'm pretty sure that's intentional. The editor do let the adventure designer set the speeds of monsters and Stinkers to, well, anything. :wink: Fortunately, you won't have to outrun them: :wink:
highlight to read wrote:Whatever their speeds, you can still influence the direction of their movement, or possibly stop them for the case of Stinkers, if you put yourself or something else in their way. Look around for that something else.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Yep I finally figured what I needed to do, but I keep on killing him in the incessant flower fire. It's hard enough getting through it myself without having to corral a wild animal too. :shock: I may never make it to the next part. :lol:
Pauline
Salin
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Salin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:36 pm

Neither will I, I suppose :lol:
Inger
Norway
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:06 am

Um sewel5, I PMed you last week with follow-up on your answers to my questions, particularly on why I still couldn't get 2 coins.

It looks like you don't ever read your PMs, so here it is :wink: :
highlight to read wrote:
sewel5 wrote:
1. For the 2 gems in the ice-thwart room, the spring for the gems is used later when you have the white key. The spring should go west.

But there are two gems outside of the spring-path if you set the spring to go west. I'm talking about the two gems on the island where the ice thwart is running around.

3. Oops, I forgot to set the CMD buttons to non-active. :oops:

Actually, that still won't work the way you intended, because non-active CMD buttons don't go away when you step on them (in other words, setting "repeatable" to NO means "no trigger button's action a 2nd time", not "you can't step on it a 2nd time active or not"). So all the player has to do is run around in circles on that island and eventually all the buttons will be triggered. (Granted, at least it's somewhat less likely that the player would accomplish this by accident.)

Based on my current understanding of how the game works, I think the easiest way to correctly implement your idea would be to use invisible diamondonce color-changing buttons as I suggested in the forum.
sewel5
Rainbow Keeper

Post by sewel5 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:46 am

Gems: I don't remember placing those two gems. Oh well, I'll just delete them.

Buttons: OK I'll do that.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:51 am

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I need help. I've been at this for almost 3 hours, and it's still the hardest adventure ever (yes, harder than the Corrupted Folder). Am I missing something obvious?
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:42 pm

You bumped an adventure topic three years old too?

Blah. I need to try this myself first.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:42 am

I solved the first area (after looking in the editor, it's evil). Now I'm stuck on the second, even after looking in the editor. :evil:
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:45 pm

OK, I'm stumped in Area 1 too. It would all work out if only there weren't those fading gates in the fireflower area preventing me from leaving. :evil:
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:OK, I'm stumped in Area 1 too. It would all work out if only there weren't those fading gates in the fireflower area preventing me from leaving. :evil:
You'll want to look in the editor. It's a rather stupid idea, and it just ends up being mean. :evil:
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:22 pm

*looks in Editor* I get it now. No offense to Sewel, but that IS stupid. :x