Tricky Puzzles - Topic 3

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:27 pm

You do not bury survivors. :roll:

If you have a normal 8x8 chessboard, can you put five queens in such a way so that ALL squares on the board are threatened? :wink:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:03 pm

If I calculated correct, there are 64! / (64-5)! possible combinations to put 5 different pieces on the board. Since the 5 pieces are the same, it can be divided by 5! which makes:

64! / ((64-5)! * 5!)

Since you can rotate the board 4 times, and also mirror it, I think that number can be divided by 8, which means 953064 possible combinations.

That's a bit too much for me to try it out. :wink:

If you would have said: "... so that all empty squares on the board are threatened? " I would have said: "probably not", but now you said: "ALL squares", I'm almost certain, that it can't be done.

However, I'm not able to prove it, right now.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm not cruel enough to request a mathematical solution that gives you all possible answer. One answer is enough.

And no, the puzzle is solvable. I know of at least one answer.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:37 pm

OK, I've found a solution, if it's about all empty squares:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... GZ1E#gid=3

But do you have a solution for ALL squares? (so that each queen is protected by another one?)
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:27 pm

I've also been able to cover all squares, except for one, so I'm slowly starting to believe that it's possible.

But since it's all trial and error, you may go ahead and post your solution. 8)
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Play 8 queens on an 8X8 chessboard so that no queen can attack another.
:twisted:
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Yot yot, you also may post the answer to the 8-queens riddle. I can't find it out.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:12 am

The 8 queens puzzle is an old classic. You can easily find an answer on the Internet.

As to my puzzle, here's a picture from a puzzle website:
http://golovolomka.hobby.ru/books/gik/img/38.gif

Left half shows a solution in which the queens do not attack each other, right side shows a solution in which they do. The latter looks pretty silly, but it does work.
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Mary and Mary went to a store. Mary was a girl. One Mary bought something for boys, and the other Mary bought something for girls. In this case, girls buy girl stuff, and boys buy boy stuff. How is THIS possible?
:D
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:34 pm

ONE Mary was a girl.
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:38 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:ONE Mary was a girl.
Usually ALL of my puzzles have to do with reading (if I didn't get it from online).

Which country is hidden in the paragraph below?

Aliens landed in downtown Chicago last night. Most locals stepped outside to see the space-ship's massive wingspan. Amazingly, seven people failed to see the sight before them, as they took shelter from the great light that shone from upon high.
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:41 pm

(advirtising)

http://xat.com/PCPuzzleWonderland

GO THERE FOR RANDOM HINTS AND STUFF!!!!
hoomdoom
Rainbow Keeper

Post by hoomdoom » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:26 pm

Sammy_Bro wrote:Aliens landed in downtown Chicago last night. Most locals stepped outside to see the space-ship's massive wingspan. Amazingly, seven people failed to see the sight before them, as they took shelter from the great light that shone from upon high.
:wink:
Hoomdoom is my cat's name.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:48 pm

I just got this awesome book of puzzles. Let me try out one on you guys:

A professor, who had always spoken in a cryptic code, had an interesting will. Rather than divide his estate evenly, the professor's will stated that each child would receive something that interested him/her. His six children were Gwen, Herbert, Laura, who was born on Labor day(this will be important later), Dorothy, Biff, who just happened to be born on April Fool's day(that will also be important later), and Eugene.

Herbert, a struggling stockbroker, would receive the bulk of his father's stock portfolio. Gwen, a budding socialite, was to receive a diamond necklace that had belonged to her mother. Dorothy, a librarian, was to receive his extensive book collection, and so on.

When he died, everyone was to receive what they were given. However, a second, later will was found. But rather than starting from scratch, this second will simply described changes that were to be made to the first. Of, course it was in code.

There are three "losers" and three "winners" from this second will. See if you can decode it and figure out who "lost" and who "won."

THE SECOND WILL
I have decided to "rearrange" a portion of my first will.
Bond portfolio is satisfactory - generates income.
Plan to decrease Gwen's inheritance will be put on ice.
Herb/pasta salad was commendable, and deserving of recognition. But a disappointment after that.
Finally, I've decided that book donations will be limited, but funding libraries will increase.(I'm sorry the signs got crossed.)

So, can anyone figure out what this will means? And no, it does NOT refer to pasta salad.
Last edited by LittleZbot on Sat May 11, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:31 pm

MYSTERY 1: Jason is lying dead. There is some food in front of him and there is an iron bar across his back. How did he die?
MYSTERY 2: Bob is dead, hanging by the neck two feet above the ground. There is a pool of cold water underneath him. Nobody has entered the barn for 10 hours and the body has been dead for about 9 hours. How did he die?
MYSTERY 3: Percy has been SHOT at his birthday party. After the body was found, nobody left or entered the house where the party was being held. The police have searched the house, back yard, and the guests many times, but can't find anything suspicious. How did the murderer hide his gun?

NEW RULES: In mystery 3, the house is a bungalow with 5 meter high walls (don't ask why)!
Last edited by yot yot5 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:42 pm

yot yot5 wrote:MYSTERY 1: Jason is lying dead. There is some food in front of him and there is an iron bar across his back. How did he die?
MYSTERY 2: Bob is dead, hanging by the neck two feet above the ground. There is a pool of cold water underneath him. Nobody has entered the barn for 10 hours and the body has been dead for about 9 hours. How did he die?
MYSTERY 3: Percy has been stabbed at his birthday party. After the body was found, nobody left or entered the house where the party was being held. The police have searched the house, back yard, and the guests many times, but can't find anything suspicious. How did the murderer hide his gun?
For No. 3, if you mean knife, he hid it using it to cut the cake.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:44 pm

No. 1: He tried to escape from jail by sawing off the bars when he failed miserably because the jailer came with lunch?
No. 2: He climbed up to the loft and fell down. His shirt collar latched on to something once he was about to hit the ground, choking him to death. The pool of water has nothing to do with this unless it it was spilled from the loft and caused him to slip.
No. 3: If it was a high-ish building(maybe an apartment?) the murderer threw the weapon down a chute into an incinerator.
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:56 pm

for second one: was it a block of ice?
ILoveWonderland
Rainbow Master

Post by ILoveWonderland » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:27 am

No. 3: There is no gun - the victim was stabbed!
Insert stupid jokes here.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:04 am

Muzozavr wrote:for second one: was it a block of ice?
Correct!

Number 3 has been updated (I'm a real dur-dur head).
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:41 am

third one: the murderer was also a massively experienced pickpocketer and has done a "reverse pickpocket" to put his gun in police's pockets when they were searching him, then took it back out when they were finished.

(note: this is not unreal -- I have actually heard of a similar thing happening in real life, though it wasn't a gun)
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:02 am

Muzozavr wrote:third one: the murderer was also a massively experienced pickpocketer and has done a "reverse pickpocket" to put his gun in police's pockets when they were searching him, then took it back out when they were finished.

(note: this is not unreal -- I have actually heard of a similar thing happening in real life, though it wasn't a gun)
This one has lots of loopholes, so I'll try to clear it up for you.

The police have searched EVERYWHERE in the house, guests, and back yard (with 5 metre high walls). They have checked and double-checked and are CERTAIN that the house does not have the murder weapon (they even checked down the toilet).
None of the guests left the house inbetween the gun firing and the police searching.
Percy was a regular guy, he didn't get a teleporter for his birthday or anything like that.
TRY SOLVING THAT ONE!!!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:15 pm

yot yot5 wrote:
Muzozavr wrote:third one: the murderer was also a massively experienced pickpocketer and has done a "reverse pickpocket" to put his gun in police's pockets when they were searching him, then took it back out when they were finished.

The police have searched EVERYWHERE in the house, guests, and back yard (with 5 metre high walls). They have checked and double-checked and are CERTAIN that the house does not have the murder weapon (they even checked down the toilet).
None of the guests left the house inbetween the gun firing and the police searching.
Percy was a regular guy, he didn't get a teleporter for his birthday or anything like that.
TRY SOLVING THAT ONE!!!
You have not said they searched their own pockets, so my solution still fits... :roll:
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:05 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
yot yot5 wrote:

TRY SOLVING THAT ONE!!!
You have not said they searched their own pockets, so my solution still fits... :roll:
THEY HAVE A VICOUSLY AWESOME SCANNING MACHINE THAT SCANNED THE ENTIRE ROOM AND DID NOT FIND THE GUN!!!
:evil:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Then he wasn't shot from a gun, but from some other weapon. Maybe a crossbow?
EDIT: and it was made out of paper that was later torn apart, leaving nothing suspicious behind...
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:36 pm

The gun was tied to a balloon.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:07 pm

Master Wonder Mage wrote:The gun was tied to a balloon.
You got it!!!!!!!!!!
Can you come up with a suitable answer for MYSTERY 1?
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:07 pm

Deleted after over a year. I pressed post twice, I think...
Last edited by yot yot5 on Sat May 11, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Jason was a fish, and someone broke the aquarium with said iron bar? I don't know, I'm just being random now...
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:12 pm

And what's the food for?

It's a very simple and VERY possible answer, not at all random.