Minecraft (Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo)

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Minecraft (Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo)

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:13 am

SERVER STATUS: Click here - Paste 154.20.165.220:25565 into the Check Server bar, then click Check!

It's true we already have a Minecraft thread, but it hasn't been posted in in over a year now. The latest version of the game is 1.8 (aka The Bountiful Update), which adds a boatload of new content (new stone variants, Ocean Temples/Monuments, a new world type, etc.). Pretty cool stuff.

At any rate, part of the reason I made a new thread instead of bumping the old one is as follows. We used to have an unofficial Wonderland Minecraft server that Tyteen was administrating, back before SMP was actually implemented (so we're talking Minecraft Classic here). I'm not entirely sure what happened to that server, though.

At any rate, I've been thinking - Would anyone here be interested if I started hosting an unofficial SMP Minecraft server for the forums from time to time?

To be clear, it would just be a small-scale server (albeit with separate worlds for survival and creative, as well as who knows what else), with maybe a 16-player limit or so (depending on how much interest there is). Something very important to note, though - The server is on the last version before 1.8, that being 1.7.9 (or 1.7.10, they both work).

The thing is, Bukkit (the most commonly used alternative to the regular Minecraft server, it has support for plugins, more security, and is all-around much better for public servers) was just recently hit by a DMCA claim from one of the contributors (it's an open-source project). Without getting into too much detail, the contributor in question claims that his code is being used illegally, and wants... Well, I'm not sure quite what he's after, to be honest. I'm also not sure why the DMCA was only filed recently (the reason he claims for it is related to Bukkit's licence being invalid, which it has been for a long time - That's another issue altogether though). The end result is that Bukkit's been taken down for now.

Point is: Until something gets sorted out and all parties involved can come to an agreement, Bukkit isn't getting released for 1.8 (and even then, who knows what the outcome of this situation will be), and I'd rather not use the default server software for a public server. Bearing that in mind, would anyone be interested in an unofficial Wonderland Forums server?

(Just in case - If you're already using 1.8, you don't have to worry. In the launcher, click New Profile, then from the Use Version droplist, select release 1.7.10/release 1.7.9, then click Save Profile. It doesn't particularly matter which version you use AFAIK, though I'd say go with 1.7.10 to be safe)
Last edited by Qloof234 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:17 am, edited 8 times in total.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:27 am

I can continue hosting things.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
tooncool64
Rainbow Keeper

Post by tooncool64 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:45 pm

I would LOVE to be a moderator or anthing to help!
Currently playing WSW.

"Please wait, we are loading the game."
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:47 pm

Wow, I was literally about to post almost the exact same topic. :P I'm not likely to join the server(s) though.
1.8 is really cool, though, compared to recent previous updates. Ocean temples are pure awesomeness.
tooncool64
Rainbow Keeper

Post by tooncool64 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:48 pm

Wonderman109 wrote:Wow, I was literally about to post almost the exact same topic. :P I'm not likely to join the server(s) though.
1.8 is really cool, though, compared to recent previous updates. Ocean temples are pure awesomeness.
^this times a thousand!
Currently playing WSW.

Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Sponges and slime blocks come in 2nd and 3rd for me. I only wish slime blocks would equalize your bounce instead of eventually killing the inertia. That use of real physics defeats the uses I had planned for them.
tooncool64
Rainbow Keeper

Post by tooncool64 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Your right. :/ I wish slime blocks did that too.
Currently playing WSW.

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Connectionalisms

Post by Jutomi » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:40 pm

I'd probably join, although I still have one server that I go on, and I might not be able to attend much between that, irl, SK with Alphagamabeta, SK w/o Alphagamabeta, and both Wonderland series. :lol:

Though, it'd help if I didn't stare at Xat for five hours strait... :oops:
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
SearchForReality
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by SearchForReality » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Why would you stare at xat for five hours straight? :lol:
PMs and emails closed until further notice.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Uh

Post by Jutomi » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:48 pm

:?

I'm ... not sure. :lol:

llarson
Rainbow Star

Post by llarson » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:01 pm

I would probably join if I owned Minecraft :lol:
"Cabbage is useless"~Came to me in a dream
"Aparagus is Unlovable"~Common knowledge
"Radishes are Ugly"~Came to my mind
My Level List
boh123321
Rainbow Wizard

Post by boh123321 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:56 pm

I would probably join if I had a computer :evil:
no
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:07 am

Alright, neat. At some point tomorrow (Monday), I'll put the server up to double-check that everything's in order and such.
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:24 am

There is a Minecraft server for Epigam hosted by Master Wonder Mage. Just, saying.
Previous Adventure:Time Out
Latest Adventure:Please Don't Feed The Dinosaurs!
Upcoming Adventure: History Lessons
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:46 pm

That's news to me. Either way, it's not as if I'm going to drop the idea of hosting a Wonderland MC server just because Epigam (or some other semi-related community) already has one.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:39 pm

DP

Yesterday's server test ended up not happening due to extenuating circumstances (which is a fancy way of saying "I didn't get a chance to do a once-over looking for bugs"), so I've decided to just put the server up and get it on with.

The IP address/port is 154.20.165.220:25565. Go to Multiplayer, click Direct Connect (or Add Server, either one), and paste that under Server Address.

I've gone over the server setup with a friend already, so I'm fairly sure that there aren't any serious bugs. Having said that, if you encounter one, simply use the /report command. (i.e. "/report bug Can't place blocks". Hopefully that example won't happen, though :P ).

If you have Forge installed on Minecraft, then here are two mods I'd recommend - More Player Models 2, which lets you customize your character (and it can be seen server-side for anyone else who has it installed!), and Inventory Tweaks, which allows you to assign buttons to automatically sort your inventory.

I won't be on the server myself just yet, but... Have fun! :wink:
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:09 pm

It tells me your server is outdated because you made it on MC 1.7.9. 1.8 is out.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:24 pm

First post:
Qloof234 wrote:Something very important to note, though - The server is on the last version before 1.8, that being 1.7.9 (or 1.7.10, they both work).

[...]

(Just in case - If you're already using 1.8, you don't have to worry. In the launcher, click New Profile, then from the Use Version droplist, select release 1.7.10/release 1.7.9, then click Save Profile. It doesn't particularly matter which version you use AFAIK, though I'd say go with 1.7.10 to be safe)
The reason is also in the first post - Bukkit, one of the most popular 3rd-party servers, is down due to a DMCA and hasn't been updated for 1.8. I'm not using the default server because it doesn't provide the flexibility I'm looking for, so we're left with 1.7.9.
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:34 pm

Ooooh, I missed that one. Sorry. And I see.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:47 am

No worries. :wink:

Shut the server down for the night, at any rate.

For that matter, Tooncool - I saw your attempted bug report on the server (for the record, the syntax is "/report bug <description>", not "/bug"). When you say it's lagging near the spawn, what do you mean, exactly? If you're trying to place/remove blocks around the spawn building, that's explicitly disabled to prevent griefing (whether it's from players, Creepers, or Endermen).

If it's lagging in a way other than that, I'm not sure what could be going on. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Spigot doesn't seem to have support for 1.8's features, but it does have backwards compatibility allowing 1.8 clients to connect to the server. I think we're switching to Spigot. :wink:
tooncool64
Rainbow Keeper

Post by tooncool64 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:41 am

When you tp to spawn from any other world, It chat delays for 10 secs.
Currently playing WSW.

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:57 am

Hmm... I know that the floating world is particularly resource-intensive, but I'm not sure why it would lag on the default world specifically.

I'll look into it.

---------------------------

Multiverse seems to be having some trouble with Spigot for some reason, causing it to not load any of the other worlds by default and invalidate the portals around the spawn.

I might just remove the portals for now and put up a sign detailing how to access the other worlds. Either way, server's going up shortly.

EDIT: Server is up. I regenerated floating to see if performance would increase, but other than that (as well as using spigot and removing the portals at spawn) nothing's changed.

---------------------------

TP combo

Server down for the night - I've regenerated floating... again... to see if performance increases. I've also managed to sort out a pertinent bug involving inventories (thanks Tooncool for alerting me to that one, I forgot about it).

For that matter, something I said on the server that I'll state here as well - feel free to share the server address with your friends. So long as things don't turn into, like, a huge public server, I don't mind. :)

EDIT: Posts merged.
Last edited by Qloof234 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:04 pm

Merged the TP combo above into one post and added the server status to the first post.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:18 am

I'm building my own style ocean monument in creative mode. I'll post pics when I have a decent amount put together.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:47 am

I'm going to try leaving the server up for an overnight stress-test. If anyone wants to join, go ahead.

------------------------

Let's try that stress-test again, shall we? :P :lol:

------------------------

Added a link to Dinnerbone's server status checking tool to the first post. It's a lot more convenient than having to edit the post whenever the server goes up.

------------------------

Going to try leaving the server up for a longer time now. I don't really intend on making this a 24/7 server, but... We'll see.

EDIT: Merged posts again.
Last edited by Qloof234 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:16 pm

Bumping this back up. After a while of downtime due to... well, nothing, really, I just kind of forgot - the server's back up.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Bump to the Forhead

Post by Jutomi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:56 pm

A fairly sizeable bump,
but I presume that it'd be alright to mention that I'm creating,
on that server, a minecart/cake/creeper shop/exhibit. :P

If anyone wants to buy / stare at anything,
just go to the creative world and wander ~around JDL's home
til you find a giant cubey thing(eventually) on a stick. :mrgreen:

Er - that's all except for the fact that I don't intend to play a significant amount. :|

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

All in All

Post by Jutomi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:43 pm

Actually - uh - another thing...

I made my build a fair bit lopsided,
so it'll also be my first building with off perimeters. :lol:

~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:13 pm

I just started building a house on the freebuild world. I don't know what you mean by perimeters; should I have reserved a plot of land before I started building or is the border you're talking about just out of courtesy?
she/her | Sayori#2285
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:11 pm

The only real reason the server has regions is to protect the spawnpoints. It seems to be a bit bugged right now, but I haven't figured out why yet.