Inward Hellix -- online riddle

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:05 am

been experimenting w/some stuff on the fill-in-the-blank page with what's on 44. not sure what to do, really. should we be translating what's on the image, and using what's on the source to help with the translation?

also, what is v?!?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:15 am

Sammy_P wrote:been experimenting w/some stuff on the fill-in-the-blank page with what's on 44. not sure what to do, really. should we be translating what's on the image, and using what's on the source to help with the translation?

also, what is v?!?
The fill-in-the-blank page is just a hint on what method to use. Once you know that, it's time to abandon that page.

So... translate what you see on 44's image in a way that's different than what you've already done.

The m---a page provides crucial information that allows you to connect the fill-in-the-blank page to 44. Once you realize the connection, you will have a method to translate 44's "code" properly.

The real challenge is not to discover the method, but to make the method workable. You have to think visually in a way that I still don't understand 100%, even after knowing the basic idea.

V is an element that is supposed to make sense, but was almost anti-helpful in my case. It's better to forget V than to spend ages on misinterpreting it's meaning. Even though it's not strictly true, let's just say "V" stands for "V"isual and leave it at that. :wink:
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:41 am

Muzozavr wrote:The m---a page provides crucial information that allows you to connect the fill-in-the-blank page to 44. Once you realize the connection, you will have a method to translate 44's "code" properly.
thing is, we already get the connection [if i understand what you're saying], we're just not sure how to translate the code

i mean we have an idea with m->b i think
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:11 am

Yes. That's the idea.

And now I am of absolutely no help because this level killed my progress for several months and at the end I'm still not sure how I did it. :lol: I had such an unpleasant time trying to figure out the visual way of m->b, the memories still hurt. :lol:

So... hope that group work will make it easier for you, like it did with 41 (which, for some reason, was also another progress-killing level for me)

It should get a wee bit easier after 44, only to become hard again later on.

Final hint that I can give, just in case: don't do m->normal translation->b. That's not what you need. Go m->b directly.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:36 am

Newsflash: Sammy_P PMed me a partial picture that was wrong in a way similar to my first attempts, but it still helped me to figure out the proper way of doing 44.

I've sent additional clues per PM, but now I actually know how the final step of the level was supposed to work, so I can give hints on that. :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:31 am

We're on 46, and we have a complete list of words from the page (including ones we don't need).

No idea what the "pattern" we're looking for is supposed to be or what to do once we've found it, though... :?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:34 am

46 is a neat one. First of all, as Strati says in the thread, "DIE" is the shortest word. So if you see other three-letter words (like "VEX") or two-letter words ( :lol: ) ignore them.

Second... there's one word that can be read in two directions, try both and make sure you're using the correct one.

Lastly... if you really have a COMPLETE list (the forum thread says how many words you need) then look closely and you'll notice a certain obvious pattern... but it won't give you the answer directly. That pattern is actually an instruction of sorts, telling you what to do with your list of words.

If you do that and look closely at the result, you will see the answer. The more you write down physically, the better -- a visual approach can be very helpful to figure out what to do. However, if you truly know what to do, you can easily do it in your head.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:54 am

On 48 now. I'm more or less certain I've found the "reason" behind what happens, but I don't know what to do for the two "odd" numbers. :?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:21 am

"Why happens" should be one step. If you know, you know. You can PM me with what you have.

If you really know, you should know why the odd numbers are odd. :P

And now assume the level is solvable and work from there. There's certain information that you technically don't have, but it must be a certain way, otherwise the level wouldn't be solvable. :wink:
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:39 pm

I was going to do a hilarious april fool's joke about being on 60, but I'm not good at pulling those things off.
So, just as an update, we're on 50. We've figured out the pattern of the 9-digit numbers on the left, and using that pattern, we've drawn lines and gotten letters. Not sure how to figure out what to do with those letters, though.
she/her | Sayori#2285
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:24 pm

50 is weird.

If you've got the right lines, there should be a very logical method to select which letters you need for the answer. It's almost impossible to give a non-revealing clue here. Unfortunately, that only provides an HS.

If you get the HS, that means your lines are correct, buuuuuuuuut you need to get different letters with a different method. And this is where it gets... weird.

Good luck.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:04 am

Well, we've definitely got the right lines. We managed to find the first HS, and soon afterwards we found both the repeating word page and the page telling us to turn something... Not exactly sure where to take things from here, though.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:29 am

Could you PM me what you have? Because I'm only aware of one "repeating word" page, but that's the one connected directly to the answer... so I'm not sure what you have at the moment.

EDIT: With the slight help of someone from the forum (over Skype) I got past 65b and am now on 67...

EDIT 2: 67 is cool, but now I'm on 68 and the very first part already promises to be annoying... EDIT 3: Yep, it was annoying, but the next part is ridiculously unclued. Like seriously. I have no idea what the game even wants from me at this point.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:28 am

Interesting game, I solved the tutorial and expect to play it soon, so thanks!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:08 pm

68 has to be the most ridiculously long level thus far. Yes, I'm still there, though I've managed some progress now.

After the very first step (which is very obvious) you get a puzzle that's simple, but annoying. Then you get a puzzle that's interesting (and simple, too) but ridiculously underclued. Then you get a puzzle with a file that doesn't like to work properly in some programs, so you have to find something that works properly (but then the puzzle is actually quite nice). Then you get another puzzle, which is where I'm at now. Once you solve that, apparently you get another puzzle - likely to be the last, but I can't be sure yet.

Long, insane and evil. I much prefer the simple elegance of 67, which was cool in a way similar to 37 -- very few clues, but everything comes together very neatly. 68 is novel and interesting, but a bit problematic with its clues and just feels bloated and overly long. Although I do like the ambience, with its own internal storyline and all...
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sun May 24, 2015 11:39 am

54... 54 almost killed us. We didn't do a thing for like a month (maybe even more time than that). Finally, though, we got through it, and I can honestly say that it was my least favorite level. Even though I didn't have a lot of trouble figuring out how to solve it, it just wasn't that fun to do so, and that shows in the length of time it took to get around to solving it. Also, Muzo, I agree that there should've been one more HS at the end.
So now we're (and by we I mean I, because I didn't go to bed for some reason when everyone else did) on 55. I got the second super blurry picture, and I have no idea what to do with it. I can't get any clues or other pictures out of the dang thing, let alone read most of the text on it.
she/her | Sayori#2285
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun May 24, 2015 12:01 pm

54 is... interesting. It did make me take a break, but then I enjoyed solving it. It's very arduous, though, Rubix had described 54 as "labor-intensive" on a different forum and this description is spot on. Also, at this point I don't know if there should be another HS at the end of 54 -- it's not really fair right now, but at the same time the resulting slap in the face is neat. Also, what would you write on that HS other than "Yeah, but no"? Maybe an ellipsis would work, but I don't know...

Really, though, I admire its complexity and beauty, it was incredibly satisfying to have finally cracked it... but I swear, if a 6*6 version pops up in the future, my screaming will be so loud Beezqp will hear it all the way from Poland... or wherever he is. 54 is now one of my favorite levels to have played through once (and I think I listed it as one of my favorites on the HOF) but I wouldn't want to do it again. :lol:

And month-long breaks are nothing to be ashamed of with this game. My first long break (the longest one by far, actually) was at level 12 -- at the time I was very lazy, so this one I'm ashamed of, actually... but now I appreciate this level's function in the game -- it's an early level that teaches you the patience required for it.

Then I had super long breaks at 29 and 30, because, for the longest time, I couldn't get what these levels wanted. Then 41, which I still don't think I entirely get. Then there was the horror of 44, which almost broke me and, as you know, I actually ended up solving it with an incorrect method... Then I had to pause at 54, had it half-done but had no motivation to continue. Then I lost my half-done notes :lol: and proceeded to rage so hard that I eventually powered myself through and just did it.

Then there was 60 -- by the time I returned to it, I was constantly Skyping with another player. No way I would've ever done that level without his help.

So yeah, my history of almost abandoning the game is 12 (shame on me), then 29, 30, 41, 44, 54, 60.

... due to university have no time for this game, so still on 68. Haven't even tried to go beyond that one puzzle with two sets of colored letters and no clues whatsoever.

As far as "least favorite levels" go, mine is still 22 -- I know the method but the clues are so tangential they barely helped. I only solved it after a happy accident. At least 48 had more clues and a distinctly beautiful solution. There's also 56, which is one of the best levels in the entire game right up until the last step... which is atrocious. But you aren't there yet, so... :P

On 55: you already have the blue picture with weird text in the upper left corner, right? Look back at the main page of the level and think again. There's one very obvious clue that you haven't used yet.

If by "text" you mean something else and your picture isn't blue, then keep searching for more pictures.
Hard-To-Destroy Reptile
Gold Wonderlander

Post by Hard-To-Destroy Reptile » Mon May 25, 2015 4:46 pm

Sliiiiightly behind you guys, just completed Level 7.
I realised that I'd been overthinking things the whole time.
I was looking at the answer with the knowledge to translate it, I just wasn't able to connect the dots at first.
I'm guessing this is a common thing with Inward Hellix, huh?
-Ruby
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon May 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Very common. Very. 7 is really a trap for overthinkers, though, and is intended as such. Good luck on 8, it's one of my favorites.
Hard-To-Destroy Reptile
Gold Wonderlander

Post by Hard-To-Destroy Reptile » Mon May 25, 2015 5:41 pm

Hmmm... On number 8.
I've received a single word along with some numbers.
The question is, what do I do with these numbers?
-Ruby
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon May 25, 2015 5:47 pm

You have already used a certain method once. Try using it again. :wink:
Hard-To-Destroy Reptile
Gold Wonderlander

Post by Hard-To-Destroy Reptile » Mon May 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Curious... I've tried separating the digits into sets of two and treating them as ---
That certainly didn't work. :shock:
Last edited by Hard-To-Destroy Reptile on Mon May 25, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ruby
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon May 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Hard-To-Destroy Reptile wrote:Curious... I've tried separating the digits into sets of two and treating them as *SNIP*.
Can we avoid potential spoilers, please? You're making it a little too easy for those who are going to encounter level 8 for the first time.

As far as the solution goes... the numbers aren't everything you have. They gave you a WORD! They wanted you to USE it! :lol: It's not just there as an "instruction", its literally part of the solution material, exactly the same way you did the previous step. :lol:

Good luck.
Hard-To-Destroy Reptile
Gold Wonderlander

Post by Hard-To-Destroy Reptile » Mon May 25, 2015 7:15 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
Hard-To-Destroy Reptile wrote:Curious... I've tried separating the digits into sets of two and treating them as *SNIP*.
Can we avoid potential spoilers, please? You're making it a little too easy for those who are going to encounter level 8 for the first time.

As far as the solution goes... the numbers aren't everything you have. They gave you a WORD! They wanted you to USE it! :lol: It's not just there as an "instruction", its literally part of the solution material, exactly the same way you did the previous step. :lol:

Good luck.
Removed the spoiler. Thanks for the hint.
Last edited by Hard-To-Destroy Reptile on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
loofisawesome
Rainbow Wizard

Post by loofisawesome » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:38 pm

Bump.

After not being stupid anymore, I managed to make to to tutorial three- I've looked at a graphic editor, but what do I do know?
You posed dramatically.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Tue May 17, 2016 3:37 am

Woah, bro, an update, straight from the depths of Hell(ix) itself.
So, the Epihellix group is on 68d right now. At a total loss on the archive, and even after some very spoilery hints, we're still struggling. Muzo's on 68e, so we're not going to be able to get help from him; like he said, it'll be us who're helping him once we crack this password, but getting past this part might just kill me(me).
How's everyone else doing? I know Boh's making blazing progress.
she/her | Sayori#2285
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Tue May 17, 2016 4:08 am

I'm enjoying it so far, but I've actually just begun... currently on level 2. (I solved the tutorials, but I probably did it a bit slower than I should've. :P )
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Tue May 17, 2016 11:21 am

~xpr'd~ wrote:So, the Epihellix group is on 68d right now
68c*?
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Tue May 17, 2016 8:01 pm

Sammy_P wrote:
~xpr'd~ wrote:So, the Epihellix group is on 68d right now
68c*?
68c, 68d, I don't even know. All of 68 is just a mostly-incoherent massless blob to me.
she/her | Sayori#2285
boh123321
Rainbow Wizard

Post by boh123321 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:34 pm

I'd just like to say, thank you muzozavr for sharing this game
It's amazing (ly frustrating) !
no