Inward Hellix -- online riddle

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:33 am

Well, we had a repeat of 14 with 28c, wherein I ended up walking right past the solution because I couldn't find anything rhat immediately seemed relevant. Good times. :roll: :P
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:05 am

Well, I've just woken up, so... you're already past 28, right? Where are you now?
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:39 pm

29. This one's looking to be either interesting or frustrating so far. :P
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:07 pm

29 is... unusual. First, decipher the mess in the source. The "CHANGEs" thing is a clue on that.

After that, simplify, but not too much. Then convert. The picture provides a thematic hint on the kind of conversion you need to do.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:10 am

Alright, we got 29, thankfully. I'm not really liking 30, in the way that what we have to do is simple, but how to get it to work is hard. I know we have to take all the words and then do the circle thing, but every time we've tried something like that, it hasn't ended up working out.
she/her | Sayori#2285
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:08 am

1. Make sure you're taking the right set of words. "Don't interpret questions as answers", if that makes sense.
2. Don't forget about the plus signs. :wink:

It's a tough level, for sure.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:41 am

As ever, the problem seems to be getting started on 30. I've got somewhat of an idea on what to do, but I'm not certain as to which words we should be looking for.

Are the words in question written on the pages themselves, or are they elsewhere?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:15 pm

The words aren't written on the pages themselves, but they can't be missed, either.

Imagine you know nothing about a level. What would be the most important word for that level? :wink: (Of course, if you know nothing, you don't know the actual word, but you still know what you should be looking for)

Once you figured that out, try not to interpret questions as answers, if that makes sense. Then you can start figuring out how to get the right letter from each word.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:24 pm

Tried the first tutorial, can't get to understand how it works. I get it that you have to find the URL or something, but I have absolutely no clue what to do since I don't have such amazing powers to think.
loofisawesome
Rainbow Wizard

Post by loofisawesome » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:45 pm

garirry wrote:Tried the first tutorial, can't get to understand how it works.
Finally, someone like me.
You posed dramatically.
Sofoulini
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Sofoulini » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:56 pm

Well,I don't know how to play this game either.
:?
My Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/InMrMenShow

>My list with my custom levels/adventures<
http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=351783#351783
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:58 pm

So, look at the URL of lesson one again...

... where are you now?

Answer that question, then think... where do you want to go?? :wink:

... I think it's obvious what to write, see you in lesson two! :P
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:38 pm

Muzozavr wrote:The words aren't written on the pages themselves, but they can't be missed, either.

Imagine you know nothing about a level. What would be the most important word for that level? :wink: (Of course, if you know nothing, you don't know the actual word, but you still know what you should be looking for)
Nope, still nothing. There are so many different variables and interpretations here, and none that we've found are adding up to anything coherent.

I've read the forum thread multiple times, and it's still not helping. At least the page ambience is nice, I guess. :roll:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:57 am

It's a tough level, for sure. The main problem here is that you've got two things to worry about: finding the right set of words and finding the right set of letters. Until you get both of them right, you won't have any clue that you're doing the right thing.

PM me with what you have for the set of words and for getting the letters. I'll try to help in a more detailed way.
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:23 am

Our time travelling has gone wrong...

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:55 am

Ah, yes, the new 31 is one of my favorites. (Old 31 was google-fu and a bit boring, to be honest :wink: They remade it)

Beware, though: there's a step in the instructions that isn't supposed to work "normally", but due to a freak coincidence, it does. So once your Windows calculator stops being enough, don't try to search for high precision calculators and use your mind instead. :P
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:54 am

Well, we've got the number (c), and we've found the hidden string... After that, I'm stumped.

I've read the Hellix thread as well, but I think I'm just too literal-minded for this one.

EDIT: That was clever. Going to do 32 later, though.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:58 am

We've made it to 34d.

I'm going to be crying myself to sleep tonight.

EDIT: I took a break while everyone else was working on 34d, and solved 35 to make up for it. I think that's enough Hellix for me tonight. :P
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:18 am

But did you accidentally solve 35 without even solving 34d like I did the first time? :P I did solve 34D later on, though.

Oh, and just a warning... very much later on in the game, there's one more level that will make you cry to sleep. :twisted: :lol:

EDIT: Also, since you're working on this as a group, I'd request you to submit your Hall of Fame entry as a group, too, when you get there. It's not a major thing, of course, but it'd make sense. :wink:
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:54 pm

Muzozavr wrote:Also, since you're working on this as a group, I'd request you to submit your Hall of Fame entry as a group, too, when you get there. It's not a major thing, of course, but it'd make sense. :wink:
i think that's the plan

meanwhile we're on 36 and i have no idea how to find a program or file or something [/nonsense]

i checked the forums and im still confused
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:14 pm

36: Look at the source carefully and think. There are only a few "popular" extensions and one of them is correct. Then, think about what file name you could use... and the URL isn't it. :wink:
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:44 pm

Argh... I found the file. I figured out the pattern of the t* g* w* etc, but using that pattern, what should be in the [] isn't a letter! Even if I decode the binary and do the pattern on those numbers, it's not a word, and nothing I'm trying is giving me the password. This is a little bit annoying, because I know I'm on the right track, but I'm just not interpreting something right, I guess.

Also, yeah, I think being added to the Hall of Fame as a group is a good idea. I doubt we'd have been able to get this far if we didn't work together. Recently I've been feeling like I haven't contributed too much, though, so that's why I'm up so early (I'm really sick right now, so noon seems pretty early to me) to try and get something done. :P
she/her | Sayori#2285
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Yes, it's not a letter. You're right.

Try to use what you get on the numbers. Don't use the pattern on the numbers, but do use the result on the numbers.

There should be a way that works.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:56 pm

I don't know if it's the power of posting or what, but shortly after I posted that we solved it. I never ended up using the [] in the puzzle, though. We got the password from the binary from an online tool.

Now I'm on 39; I see a thematic connection between all these numbers, and I know who they refer to (thanks to both chemistry class and google), but I don't know how to turn the numbers themselves into something tangible.

Edit: It is the power of posting! We're on 40 now, and I'm already not liking it. To be honest, 37, 38, and 39 may have been my favorite puzzles so far. Also, 14 was cool; I wish there were more like that.
she/her | Sayori#2285
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:58 pm

On 40: I can only repeat Beezqp's clue "remorse it". That's truly the best hint to start.

37 is one of my favorite levels in the entire game, so elegant, so apparently lacking of clues, yet so logical in the end.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:58 am

We've made it to 41. From checking the thread, I know what we're supposed to do on the first page, but I have no idea how we're supposed to do it. :?

EDIT: Okay, figured out that part. We've got the answer to that and found the next page, but no idea where to go from there.

EDIT2: Wow. 42.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:54 am

Kinda funny how you blitzed through 41 which was one of the most problematic levels for me and almost became my endpoint for the entire game.

42 is lovely and one of my favorites. The text code is genius.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:32 am

we're on 44 now. we have the m---a and d---m subpages and the page from the fillintheblank thing

not sure what to do now
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:55 am

Muzozavr wrote:42 is lovely and one of my favorites. The text code is genius.
I actually hated 42, if only because I'd never heard the "term" in the answer used in that manner before, causing me to latch onto another word. :P Everyone else was able to get it just fine, and I was sitting there just like "What do you mean by [HINT]? I tried that and it didn't work!"
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:30 am

Sammy_P wrote:we're on 44 now. we have the m---a and d---m subpages and the page from the fillintheblank thing

not sure what to do now
Oh wow, I never realized there was a d---m subpage, because the first anagram I tried was the much more logical a---d and it didn't work. :lol: I need to tell Beezqp, he should do something about that...

That said, anagrams are useless here. The page from the fillintheblank thing is your biggest clue here and the m---a subpage tells you something important about the one who won't leave... how are these bits of knowledge related to each other?

Now that you've decoded the morse in a normal way... try in an abnormal way. The fillintheblank page is the major clue.

And then don't ask me about exact details of the technique because this was the second level that almost broke me entirely. I don't know why but it was extremely difficult for me to apply the right idea once I figured it out. But you're working in a group, so SOMEONE should be able to get it. :wink: