Your average video game topic

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

garirry
Rainbow Star

Your average video game topic

Post by garirry » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:14 am

I decided that it might be a good idea to have all conversations involving video games (Steam, Consoles, Sales, etc.) in this one topic. If a mod thinks that this is not a good idea, please forgive me and do whatever you feel that is necessary. Anyway, let me start.

Off-topic, but my computer killed itself and so I can't play many games. :( I can still play certain Steam games on my laptop, but Isaac Rebirth crashes for some reason so I can't play it.

Anyway, first, I bought Psychonauts a few days ago for one dollar (sale, obviously). In the last fifteen minutes, I also bought the soundtrack and the cinematic score (whatever that is) for fifty cents each. From what I heard, it's a great game, so I can't wait to play it.

One game that I really recommend is Shovel Knight. It makes me sad that none of my Steam friends (most of them are from this forum) play it, so I suggest that you buy it eventually. It's so fun, I promise. It's an 8-Bit Megaman medieval platformer, basically, but it's a billion times better than what it looks like.

Finally, there's this game called Mighty No. 9 that is supposed to release this month, but I'm afraid it might get delayed till may. Either way, I can't play it yet cause my laptop is weaker than <insert bad joke here>. It was made by the director of the Megaman games, and has a very similar style to it, but with it's own characters and all. To be fair though, it's practically Megaman in MMX style plus 3D graphics. Can't wait to play it, already pre-ordered it though! :D
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:39 pm

Yeah, this is alright. I think that there maybe shouldn't be very lengthy discussions on specific video games here, though; if there's a large group of people here who play the same game, maybe make a new topic for that game specifically, but having this topic should help stop people from making a new topic for every game.

Anyways, I've played Shovel Knight, and I thought it was a good game, but I don't think that it deserves as much praise as it gets. It really prides itself on being "retro-style," but in its effort to both be accurate to old NES games as well as being new and shiny for today's audience, it fails to be either of those things. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but to me it's just another good 2D indie platformer.

How about Cities: Skylines? It's a very fun city designer from the guys who made Cities in Motion (which was more about being a transport company, but I enjoyed its map editor the most, mainly for its variety of roads and how easily complex intersections were made) and while a lot of people are calling it "what SimCity should've been," I don't think that really does it justice. While it does have its host of problems, it's superbly designed and very easy to lose countless hours to.
she/her | Sayori#2285
DARIUSH2001
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by DARIUSH2001 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:26 pm

Well...my PC isn't the best and that's why I often play League of Legends. It's an awesome MOBA....I think you've heard of it. Also, Team Fortress 2 is a funny shooter game full of cosmetic items. About horror games.... Is anybody remembering Penumbra series? Also, Amnesia: TDD and A Machine for Pigs and (of course) Five Nights at Freddy's 1,2 and 3. Also do you guys know that FNaf 4 is coming? Scott's site has been updated. If you download the image with the missing hat, open it in paint and apply that....ummm....fill with colour in the left of the image...somewhere there, you will get a 4. Or you can simply watch on youtube ;-)
myuacc1studios
Rainbow Wizard

Post by myuacc1studios » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:28 pm

DARIUSH2001 wrote:Well...my PC isn't the best and that's why I often play League of Legends. It's an awesome MOBA....I think you've heard of it. Also, Team Fortress 2 is a funny shooter game full of cosmetic items. About horror games.... Is anybody remembering Penumbra series? Also, Amnesia: TDD and A Machine for Pigs and (of course) Five Nights at Freddy's 1,2 and 3. Also do you guys know that FNaf 4 is coming? Scott's site has been updated. If you download the image with the missing hat, open it in paint and apply that....ummm....fill with colour in the left of the image...somewhere there, you will get a 4. Or you can simply watch on youtube ;-)
Also, there's going to be a movie!
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:14 pm

myuacc1studios wrote:Also, there's going to be a movie!
I don't like the fact that a franchise is made out of a game which the sole purpose of it is to scare jump.
~xpr'd~ wrote:Anyways, I've played Shovel Knight, and I thought it was a good game, but I don't think that it deserves as much praise as it gets. It really prides itself on being "retro-style," but in its effort to both be accurate to old NES games as well as being new and shiny for today's audience, it fails to be either of those things. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but to me it's just another good 2D indie platformer.
I get your point, my reason for liking the game is because it's very similar to Megaman games but a more reasonable difficulty (MM games require you to suffer in order to become good at the game), stunning music (Jake Kaufman is such a great music composer, I have heard his other OSTs, I think they're awesome), and a massive amount of replay ability (in MM games, you can just play once without upgrades or anything like that, while in SK, you can buy and find a ton of upgrades, play with cheats, defeat achievements). Overall, I can understand that some people may dislike the game, but personally I enjoy them. :)

Other than that, I bought Rogue Legacy yesterday. My brother-in-law loves that game and recommended it to me, it is on sale (till April 27) and costs 5$. As with Psychonauts, I can't play until I get my computer fixed or I buy a new one, since my laptop is horrible. Actually, maybe I'll try installing it if it doesn't take too much space and won't lag too much.
Last edited by garirry on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:03 am

garirry wrote:Off topic, but I don't care.
That's nice. Enough of that attitude, please.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:05 am

Qloof234 wrote:
garirry wrote:Off topic, but I don't care.
That's nice. Enough of that attitude, please.
Sorry, I was kinda joking. :|
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:41 am

garirry wrote:I don't like the fact that a franchise is made out of a game which the sole purpose of it is to scare jump.
first off it's a jump scare oh my god GET IT RIGHT

i mean its a horror game what do you expect "spooky stuff minus jumpscares" you win
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:02 am

Sammy_P wrote:
garirry wrote:I don't like the fact that a franchise is made out of a game which the sole purpose of it is to scare jump.
first off it's a jump scare oh my god GET IT RIGHT

i mean its a horror game what do you expect "spooky stuff minus jumpscares" you win
Sorry, I often confuse scare jump and jump scare. :roll: The rest I don't get it.
DARIUSH2001
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by DARIUSH2001 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:17 am

myuacc1studios wrote: Also, there's going to be a movie!
Awesome! I'm deffinitely going to watch that movie. Regarding to what garirry said: I understand you... At first I disliked jump scares too...but then I started playing and got used to them. The game's purpose aren't the jumpscares....you have to defend yourself from the animatronics. If you fail, you will get a jumpscare. If you want, you can read more on the game's wiki to find out more aboout the story, gameplay etc. ;-)
ab-47
Rainbow Star

Re: Your average video game topic

Post by ab-47 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:04 pm

garirry wrote:Finally, there's this game called Mighty No. 9 that is supposed to release this month, but I'm afraid it might get delayed till may. Either way, I can't play it yet cause my laptop is weaker than <insert bad joke here>. It was made by the director of the Megaman games, and has a very similar style to it, but with it's own characters and all. To be fair though, it's practically Megaman in MMX style plus 3D graphics. Can't wait to play it, already pre-ordered it though! :D
I remember seeing it on Kickstarter, it's a good game, but will never be as awesome as Megaman X. Anyway, the game is not delayed, and will possibly be released on April (Formerly announced to be released on May 15). Please don't hate me for this, but I really wished Mighty No. 9 was 2D instead, here's why: (This is just a concept art) I find the 2D graphics better as it appears that they had put a lot of effort onto it, unlike the 3D graphics they presented in the Trailer.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:05 pm

I understand. Still, I'll probably try the game eventually. The thing that bothers me about the movie, is the fact that FNAF isn't a super-popular franchise like Mario, it's an indie game that came out less than half a year ago and it has already two sequels (I have nothing wrong with that) and a movie is planned.
DARIUSH2001
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by DARIUSH2001 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:22 pm

If you want, you can try the game. Also, reducing the volume also reduces jump scare's intensity (just a theory :-P ). I mean, in a jumpscsre the animatronic appears right in your face and a loud noise is being played. If you reduce the volume, well, it won't scare you that much. That's what I did when I first played the game :-D
On the other hand if you like multiplayer shooters, Team Fortress 2 is a funny game with lots of cosmetic items, weapons..and no jump scares ;-) . Sadly you have to buy/upgrade to a premium account if you want to trade items..
Or there's also a very nice strategy game called Plague Inc. It's really challenging.
DerpzSpycrab
Gold Wonderlander

Post by DerpzSpycrab » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:25 pm

DARIUSH2001 wrote:If you want, you can try the game. Also, reducing the volume also reduces jump scare's intensity (just a theory :-P ). I mean, in a jumpscsre the animatronic appears right in your face and a loud noise is being played. If you reduce the volume, well, it won't scare you that much. That's what I did when I first played the game :-D
On the other hand if you like multiplayer shooters, Team Fortress 2 is a funny game with lots of cosmetic items, weapons..and no jump scares ;-) . Sadly you have to buy/upgrade to a premium account if you want to trade items..
Or there's also a very nice strategy game called Plague Inc. It's really challenging.
The problem with FNAF is that it has that it has no replay value, as well as the fact that I can get the same value from watching someone play it as I would if I played the game, and I wouldn't have to spend money to do it.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:48 pm

DARIUSH2001 wrote:If you want, you can try the game. Also, reducing the volume also reduces jump scare's intensity (just a theory :-P ). I mean, in a jumpscsre the animatronic appears right in your face and a loud noise is being played. If you reduce the volume, well, it won't scare you that much. That's what I did when I first played the game :-D
I'll take your advice to try the game when I get my new PC. As for TF2, I play it occasionally, although I haven't played it in a while now. There's the Valve topic on this forum that I made a few months ago, you can try to find it. :)
DARIUSH2001
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by DARIUSH2001 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:48 pm

Yeah...that's right. FNaF has a repetitive gameplay and it's getting boring. I still find FNaF 3's gameplay OK. Regarding to FNaF 2 ... I haven't played it very much so...I don't know.
EDIT:
garirry wrote: I'll take your advice to try the game when I get my new PC. As for TF2, I play it occasionally, although I haven't played it in a while now. There's the Valve topic on this forum that I made a few months ago, you can try to find it. :)
Ok, i think you'll get used to the game. By the way, there are also android versions of FNaF 1, 2 and 3. On the other hand, you can try Penumbra: Overture (12+ :-P ) It has no jump scares, just some creepy dogs and other...things.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, but I am really not into horror games. FNAF isn't horror, it's just scary.
DARIUSH2001
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by DARIUSH2001 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:01 pm

Well..ok then. Now I think I'm going to play WSW....I haven't finished all the levels in gold and I really want to see the game complete with full score.
ab-47
Rainbow Star

Post by ab-47 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi! I have bad news for you, Garriry, as well as any other Megaman fans in here :( : You might not like this. Mighty No. 9 has been postponed until September now, so it's not coming in Spring time; however, if you backed this project on kickstarter, you're getting some sort of an exclusive DLC (Downloadable Content) just for backers.

Meanwhile, FNaF 4 has been announced in PCgamer as well, LINK HERE. According to Scott, this will be the last installment of the FNaF franchise and will be released on Halloween, how spooky! :twisted: (the users' replies are doubting it to be the last chapter, not sure about this)
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:42 pm

That makes me very sad. :( However, let's hope that the extra time they take will be used to make the game better. Not sure what to think about DLC's, I'd rather have everything in one package. Considering that I paid 23$ for the pre-order, (I didn't back the project) compared to the 20$ retail price, I wish I received them for free.

About FNAF 4, I don't really like the idea of a fourth game. Thank God it's the last (hopefully).
Last edited by garirry on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:13 pm

What did I just say?

And no, "I was kinda joking" isn't an excuse.
DARIUSH2001
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by DARIUSH2001 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:32 pm

ab-47 wrote: Meanwhile, FNaF 4 has been announced in PCgamer as well, LINK HERE. According to Scott, this will be the last installment of the FNaF franchise and will be released on Halloween, how spooky! :twisted: (the users' replies are doubting it to be the last chapter, not sure about this)
Yeah, that's true. Still, I think FNaF 4 will be released earlier. By the way Scott's site is now white with a dot in up-left corner (EDIT: it was). And yeah, this is the Final Chapter.

About Mighty No.9....it looks nice. Never played magaman but Mighty No.9 looks interesting. About the release date which is now in september....that often happens. A game is ready for release, then more work is needed...
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:33 pm

Qloof234 wrote:What did I just say?

And no, "I was kinda joking" isn't an excuse.
I don't get it. Are you saying that saying "I don't care" is wrong?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:45 pm

It's pretty rude to create a thread for general video game discussion and then just say "I don't care" when someone starts talking about something you don't like personally. It comes across as "I don't care about your opinion".
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:55 pm

Alright, I'm sorry. I'll try to explain better what I mean next time. By "I don't care", I mean that the game itself doesn't interest me. :|
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Then do not say anything. I actually agree with you, but you just end up being rude if you express it. It's unnecessarily aggressive. Just ignore the comments. And be silent.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Fri May 01, 2015 8:37 pm

There's this game called Yooka Laylee that launched its Kickstarter campaign today (but was announced before if I'm correct) and already gathered half a million pounds ($750K). From what I understand, it's a game made by the developers of Banjo Kazoie (I have never played it, but I'll play it eventually) and Donkey Kong Country (as well as other Rare games? not sure), kinda like Mighty No. 9 was made by the developers of Mega Man. Either way, it sounds like an interesting game.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Tue May 12, 2015 2:53 am

Well, the kickstarter tripled its money now. Impressive. :shock: Also, bought this weird little game (sale for 3$) called Goat Simulator, I'm personally not very excited about this game but it would still be fun to try it.
DARIUSH2001
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by DARIUSH2001 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:50 pm

Goat simulator....that game.....sooooo weird. You'll like it. It's very funny :-D
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Thu May 14, 2015 10:53 pm

Damn, I wasted so much money on those recent Kickstarter projects. I just paid 28 dollars for this game called Bloodstained or something like that. It's a Castlevania style game made by its creator. I'm not paying another penny other for my potential computer until I get more money. :|