Is it worth to upgrade windows 10?

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Edwin Chung
Gold Wonderlander

Is it worth to upgrade windows 10?

Post by Edwin Chung » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:14 pm

Acutually,I have ordered the upgrade of the windows 10 and yet haven't submitted it.
I saw different views about windows 10 but many of them are negative for it.So,I am really worried about whether I should upgrade or not.
I will wail until the last day of the upgrade to decide.
So,what do you think?
garirry
Rainbow Star

Re: Is it worth to upgrade windows 10?

Post by garirry » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Edwin Chung wrote:Acutually,I have ordered the upgrade of the windows 10 and yet haven't submitted it.
I saw different views about windows 10 but many of them are negative for it.So,I am really worried about whether I should upgrade or not.
I will wail until the last day of the upgrade to decide.
So,what do you think?
It's worth it, because you have one month to downgrade back to 7/8.1 (depending on what you use) if you didn't like it. Obviously, backup your files before performing the upgrade, just in case something bad happens.
DerpzSpycrab
Gold Wonderlander

Post by DerpzSpycrab » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:27 am

I would have to say that it isn't worth it until Microsoft rolls out patches to fix most of the bugs that came with the launch.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:29 am

DerpzSpycrab wrote:I would have to say that it isn't worth it until Microsoft rolls out patches to fix most of the bugs that came with the launch.
True, but once again, it's always worth it if he can downgrade at any time (within one month). It's like buying a new device. If it has a 14/30 day return policy, it's always worth buying.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:04 pm

It really depends. Some people have gotten performance increases, some people haven't. For me, Windows 10 actually does less than Windows 7 does.

More to the point, though, there are issues like forced updates (and Microsoft is notoriously bad with broken updates, there was a W7 update that caused genuine copies of Windows to be picked up as counterfeit), Microsoft tracking your computer usage for "targeted ads" - even when the option's disabled entirely, W10 still communicates with the servers - and an "anti-piracy" feature that automatically searches your files for any pirated software, which I'm all but certain is going to pick up far more false positives than actual illegitimate software.

If you're okay with all of that, then yeah, it might be worth it. In my opinion, it really, really isn't, because Microsoft really shouldn't have any right to track what you're doing with your own computer, but YMMV I guess.
Edwin Chung
Gold Wonderlander

Post by Edwin Chung » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:43 pm

To garirry:
So have you upgraded to windows 10 yet?

To Qloof234:
How do you know about Microsft tracking our computers?
And does the spy only apply to microsoft 10 but not in 7?
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:48 pm

I like Windows 10.

Yes, they have made new features which requires sending data to Microsoft. They can be turned off (although reports say it still sends data back even if the relevant features are turned off, but this is unverified). Whether you want to trade privacy for convenience is up to you.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Edwin Chung wrote:How do you know about Microsft tracking our computers?
And does the spy only apply to microsoft 10 but not in 7?
It's pretty clear during installation that Windows 10 wants to communicate with Microsoft's servers. I don't remember exactly what the option said, but it wasn't unclear.

See also:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07 ... -settings/
tyteen4a03 wrote:(although reports say it still sends data back even if the relevant features are turned off, but this is unverified)
Sounds pretty solidly verified to me, just saying.

As for mandatory updates: http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... ome-users/

And this is one of several reasons why mandatory updates are problematic.

While I wouldn't touch W10 with a ten-foot pole, I think what Tyteen said about trading security for convenience is pretty accurate. It just depends on whether or not W10 actually provides you with any added conveniences, which is pretty subjective (again, it was nothing but inconvenience for me).
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:55 pm

Edwin Chung wrote:To garirry:
So have you upgraded to windows 10 yet?
Yes, I used it for two weeks or so. I like it so far, but I am also worried about the sending stuff to Microsoft things a bit. Which is something I don't really wouldn't want to have (I don't have Cortana though, it's not available in Canada).
DerpzSpycrab
Gold Wonderlander

Post by DerpzSpycrab » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:41 am

I had only used it for 2 hours. Technically 10, but 8 of them were spent trying to figure out how to rollback to Windows 7. A big reason being that it ended up being even less convenient, and all around just slower. The absolute core reason however was that the installation was just so broken that Settings outright just refused to open so I had to spend all that time figuring out how to rollback a different way.
nothing to see here yet
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:42 am

I guess I'm in the minority; I've used Windows 10 for over a month now, and I've had no problems at all. In fact, quite the contrary; it runs better than 7 and has better compatibility with older games too, not to mention Cortana and other features being very helpful to me, such as OneDrive syncing data between my desktop and laptop. I'm not too worried about the data being sent to Microsoft even with optional content disabled, not only because it appears harmless, but because I have Cortana enabled, I use live tiles, and I frequently use OneDrive (especially so, because it is connected to my school account which contains important school stuff), among other things as well, so in my case it would only make sense for that internet communication to happen. I don't think I have any reason to worry about Microsoft's internet connection to Windows 10 unless there is any hard proof that personally identifying data is sent without explicit (or implicit) permission from the user. In addition, the anti-piracy measures sound like a joke, and I have a few tricks up my sleeve to prevent any trouble that that could give me anyways.
she/her | Sayori#2285