WA3E Hex-Editing Topic

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Package of Doubt

Post by Jutomi » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:31 pm

I don't think I'll need it,
but it's interesting given the potential secret. :P
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Technos72
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Technos72 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:41 pm

These questions may have already been answered, but I'm too lazy to look deep into this forum.

Are you still able to add custom music by hex editing a map?

Are we able to get Null/White magic back. I think I'll find it useful for a project later on.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:01 pm

Technos72 wrote:Are you still able to add custom music by hex editing a map?
Yes, MNIK has addressed it here: http://www.pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21728
Technos72 wrote:Are we able to get Null/White magic back. I think I'll find it useful for a project later on.
Jutomi recently published it here: http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349219#349219

Hope this helps. :wink:
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:18 am

is there an adjustment on the thwart\Ice troll, that can change the spell ball type?
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Adjustable Background Check

Post by Jutomi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:22 am

The only way I know of changing their spellballs is the same way I did it for the flo wraiths adventure, myself. :?
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:29 am

Data0 in Thwart\Ice troll means 0 would be WaterFx and 1 would be No WaterFx
if you do this in the WA3E or any editor, It crashes. It must be a bug or something.
this was test in WA1\WAE, by me.
sent, the editor crashes, I hex edit the level, so I could test what it does.
you try it for yourself, it you want to see what happens.
It should work with any WA game and I should be the same as for the ice troll.
I discovered this in WA.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:43 am

What? There's no parameter by the name of WaterFx. What does setting Data0 do?
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:46 am

0=normal
1=water does act like water to an thwart it kind of acts like a floor tile to the thwart try it.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:50 pm

Bump, but I have a mission!

I've been trying to make a Colour Block Gate which acts like a Bridge (is floor while active and has no logic while inactive) and fully supports colour changers. Logicswapping from 10 (Gate) to 40 (Bridge Reg) doesn't solve the problem because Bridges respond to colour changers only if the Col To value is between 8 and 11. It seems to be a hardcoded feature of Bridge logic and nothing can be done about it.

Now I'm wondering if there's any way to make the object I need, as far as I'm concerned it's impossible, but there's nothing wrong in asking the question here.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:28 am

LexieTheFox wrote:Hmm, what happens if you change spellballs to Brr and the player fires a spellball, will it act like player Brr or will it be Perma-Brr?
Sorry for necro-ing, but I've never been able to find clarity on this.

Is this possible? I'm confused about it but I really want to use it in levels, usually all it takes is an explanation for me to just click and understand things.
Rawr.
Fear me, I bite! >:3
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:54 pm

I'd try it out, but I have no idea how MNIk does his stuff. I think this happens at some point in The End 7 though...worth a try?
Caton
Rainbow Master

ADV78 DATA Hack - WA3E

Post by Caton » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:28 am

https://vid.me/Ynkn
I changed a unknown adjustment, and this is what happen.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:54 am

Wonderman109 wrote:I'd try it out, but I have no idea how MNIk does his stuff. I think this happens at some point in The End 7 though...worth a try?
He uses CMD4 at all objects with ID set to -1 (the default), but I don't know what is the modifier number for spellball colour, possibly the Data1 slot (modifier 23 if I recall correctly).
by Giuseppe Verdi
Caton
Rainbow Master

Re: ADV78 DATA Hack - WA3E

Post by Caton » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:37 pm

Caton wrote:https://vid.me/Ynkn
I changed a unknown adjustment, and this is what happen.
this is very weird when I change some adjustment on one of the thwarts the lights are dark,the thwart won't move
,the thwart fireballs are in different places, the thwart is in different places as well. for some reason.
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:48 am

If you edit a wlv file that haves a shard or gem and set the color 8 it turns to rainbow gem.
Pics of Rainbow Gem.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:00 am

This is well known Caton. It happens because Gems and Teleporters share textures, however the rainbow texture has 4x as many stars and closely placed colours, so it doesn't look that well.

Unless you make a new texture replacing the original as I did.
by Giuseppe Verdi
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:02 am

did not change any textures.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:13 pm

This stuff's from a few days ago and is pretty much useless, as it's based on hex-editing a save file, but whatever.

First, I managed to turn the player into a Grnykler while trying to see if it was possible to change the player's expression (doesn't seem to be, sadly)...

And then I found out that the player uses MovementSpeed for their... well, movement speed just like NPCs do. The default value is 40, and changing it led to interesting results.

If there actually is a CMD4 adjuster for MovementSpeed, then maybe this can be put to use, but right now, not really.

h8ciPsI.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Qloof234 on Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:25 pm

DP/Bump

Some more file format stuff.

Code: Select all

global.wdf format

$00 - profile length byte
$04 - profile name (assuming FOUR characters)
$08 - character? length byte (no idea what this string does at all)
$0C - character? string (assuming FOUR characters)
$10 - sound volume (1-5)
$14 - music volume (1-5)
$18 - control mode (01 - mouse only, 02 - mouse/keyboard)
$1C - dialogue backdrop (00 - default, 01 - high contrast, 02 - black, 03 - none - 04 and above loop around but change the text to "Text: Regular"?)

playerfile.wpf format
$10 - UNKNOWN (set to 01 for me)
$14 - profile length byte 
$18 - profile name (assuming FOUR characters)
$1C - character? length byte (no idea what this string does at all)
$20 - character? string (assuming FOUR characters)
$24 - eye/shoe colour
$28 - hat
$2C - hat colour
$30 - accessory
$34 - accessory colour
$38 - x scale
$3C - y scale
$40 - z scale
$44 - voice
$48 - UNKNOWN
$4C - UNKNOWN
$50 - unknown string length byte (defaults to 00, but assuming FOUR characters)
$54 - unknown string (defaults to nothing, i.e. the next option starts here)
$58 - start of inventory data
Some notes for global.wdf:

- The "profile name" string allows you to switch the profile in use. As a result, if you accidentally switch profiles and suffer from the folder explosion (Savefiles/Current showing up as profiles), it's possible to hex this file to fix the problem (despite how the folder seems to explode, your profile data is intact). I'd write a small program to fix this, but I don't have the know-how to do so. MNIK pls get on this
- The "character" string is... I'm not sure what it is at all. It doesn't seem to do anything. It doesn't control which character is used on the save file, as far as I can tell - having a Custom character sets the string to "Anonymous" - but I haven't really experimented with it all that much. What I can say is that, provided you alter the length byte properly, the game seems to be perfectly happy accepting nonsense for this string.
- While you can set Sound/Music to values above 5, they have no effect - the volume maxes out at 5, even if the number itself is higher.
- The bug some people seemed to be getting where Mouse/Keyboard control wouldn't let them use the keyboard or change the option is, as far as I can tell, due to the value for it ending up as 03 or higher - setting it to 03 makes the option say "Mouse/Keyboard", but it can't be changed and the keyboard controls don't work.

Some notes for playerfile.wpf:

- Yes, for whatever reason, the "profile" and "character" strings/bytes are in here as well. I've got no idea why.
- Eye/Shoe colour works as expected. 01 - Blue/Blue, 02 - Cyan/Purple, 03 - Green/Red, 04 - Blue/Dark Blue, 07 - Grynkler, 08 - Jeeboo. 05 and 06 would correspond to Shadow and Fire Stinkers, but they appear identical to 01 in-game and crash the game when the player dies (at least by drowning).
- This goes for both the player and NPCs - valid hat values aren't hardcoded in the game or editor. That is to say, if you add a new model in the correct format and name it properly, you can make NPCs and the player wear it via hex-editing with no problems. Adding new colours to existing accessories is even easier - they can be selected during character creation. Some example shots, using the bridge model as an example (it's ridiculous but it works, so there): In-editor (hex editing the NPC .wop to use a new hat), and in-game (done by hex-editing playerfile.wpf)
- I'm not sure if X/Y/Z values actually use the same values as in the NPC object does in the editor. They seem to be close, though.
- Voice - 01: Stinky, 02: Loof, 03: Qookie, 04: Peegue. Haven't tried any other values, but I figure they'd crash the game.
- I have no idea whatsoever what $48 and $4C do. On my file, $48 is 01, and $4C is 03. Changing them doesn't seem to have any effect.
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:02 pm

I was able to hack savelevel file
I add a new object in the savefile.
I think the adjustments string names are renamed BLA
also I got a spellball object from savelevel file in a wop file.
going to test it right now but the editor does not support !Spellball do I renamed it to !None ObjectType is 50
also copyed the icetroll frozen by an icetroll from savefile and it's look likes 55??? is how long it says frozen but it's vale was "-1149" so -1149 would keep it frozen forever.
but does not show frozen animation and frozen cube mesh. must be a object in the savefile that does that.
I uploaded two wops
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:55 pm

Yeah, the ice cube is a different object altogether.
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Ice Block Object Download
the original model name was !IceBlock
object type is 60
has anybody discover this yet? before I did?
also there should be a character editor.
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:00 am

also you can add other voices just hack the player file voice vaule change it to a number example:05=Data\Sound\Voice\5\
Caton
Rainbow Master

Post by Caton » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:47 pm

but I think wa3e should use lua script's so we add our own objects in the wlv files.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:12 pm

I did some experiments and realized something interesting regarding "sign dialog" vs "NPC dialog".

The following are facts that pretty much every frequent Wonderland Adventures player knows:

When hovering your mouse above an NPC, a speech bubble icon appears above it.
When hovering your mouse above a sign, a question mark icon appears above it.

When engaged in dialog with an NPC, the NPC does turn to face the player.
When engaged in dialog with a sign, the sign does not turn to face the player.

For clarity's sake, I will define both "NPC" and "sign" under one broader category: talkers. A talker is an object that the player can engage in dialog with by clicking on it.

Now, when I say that something acts like an "NPC", I do not necessarily mean something like a Stinker NPC. I simply mean an object that turns towards you when you speak to it, and also uses the speech bubble talker icon (although those are indeed properties that "normal" Stinker NPCs exhibit).

What's important here is what marks the distinction between an NPC and a sign. Funnily enough, object logic has nothing to do with it. It turns out that the key lies in the dialog parameter of the object.

Here's the distinction:

Talkers with dialog less than 10,001 (<10,001) act like NPCs.
Talkers with dialog greater than 10,000 (>10,000) act like signs.

Many adventure designers are also familiar with this fact: if some dialog x is greater than 10,000, it will actually refer to the dialog of index (x-10,000). For example, a sign with dialog 10,003 will actually refer to dialog 3 when spoken to in-game. This applies to not just signs, but all talkers regardless of object logic assuming that the dialog index is indeed greater than 10,000.

Note: dialog 10,000 does NOT refer to dialog 0 in-game; it refers to dialog 10,000 and thus can be spoken to. Also, dialog 10,000 is the last "NPC dialog". Thus, all dialogs x above 10,000 will refer to dialog number (x-10,000) in-game.

If you have a Stinker NPC object with a dialog greater than 10,000, it will have a question mark icon when you hold your mouse over it to talk to it. The Stinker NPC will also not turn to face you when you talk to it. Plus, dialog This is the same behavior that "regular" signs use.

Conversely, sign objects with a dialog less than 10,001 will turn towards the player when spoken to and also use the speech bubble talker icon. Unlike Stinker NPCs, though, sign object logics do not return to their old yaws. This sheds light on a property of various stock NPC wops (such as the Stinker NPC): the behavior of turning back to a "default yaw" is specific to certain object logics.

To summarize (this can also function as a tl;dr), talkers can be broken up into two groups: NPCs and signs.

NPCs
Dialog parameter: < 10,001
Dialog used in-game (dialog = x): x
Talker icon: Speech bubble
Turns towards player when spoken to: Yes

Signs
Dialog parameter: > 10,000
Dialog used in-game (dialog = x): x-10,000
Talker icon: Question mark
Turns towards player when spoken to: No

It makes sense now why Midnight Synergy had the sign wops use dialogues greater than 10,000 for "internal reasons".

I'm aware that many years ago, various users (who are now inactive) made wops that were seemingly aware of the facts that I pointed out, but I had not found any documentation on the "sign vs NPC" phenomenon.

Regardless, I think it's a big breakthrough in terms of people being able to easily make "custom NPC" wops on their own. :)
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Aha... This is quite clever!

Do NPC-logic talkers still have a greeting clip played when they're talked to under sign rules? What about the reverse (i.e. do signs play a greeting clip if talked to under NPC rules)?
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:14 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Do NPC-logic talkers still have a greeting clip played when they're talked to under sign rules?
Nope, NPC-logic talkers use the "read sign" clip when spoken to under sign rules. Thus, whether a talker uses a "sign greeting" or an "NPC greeting" depends on whether the talker follows sign rules or NPC rules respectively.
Qloof234 wrote:What about the reverse (i.e. do signs play a greeting clip if talked to under NPC rules)?
Yes, they do!

In fact, adding the "DefensePower" ("Greeting" in-editor) parameter to a sign-logic object (but only under NPC dialog rules, of course) allows you to adjust which voice clip is played when you "talk to" the sign!
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:07 am

I recall the 'Custom NPC' wop released a long time ago was a sign with an odd stinker modelswap that somehow worked. But as the dialog was 1-10,000, the stinker behaved like you mentioned: turning to the player when engaged but not returning to the default yaw afterwards.

I think the point of that wop was to have a texturable stinker. It may still be around somewhere.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:08 am

In WA3E, Stinker NPC wops from WA1E are treated like walls by Spikeyballs (unlike in WA1E, where Stinker NPCs were killed by Spikeyballs). On the other hand, Stinker NPC wops from WA3E are killed by Spikeyballs in WA3E, as they should be.

I haven't looked at the wops in something like PowerWop yet to find what the difference is. It might yield something interesting, though.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:19 am

That's odd... I just ran a file compare on the Stinker NPC wops I have in the WA1E versus the WA3E, and other than the adjusters that WA3E adds, they're byte-for-byte identical. :? :shock:

EDIT: Wait, never mind, I forgot that I'm using Emerald's SuperAdjustable pack. Let's try that again. :roll: :lol:

EDIT 2: Wait, okay, no. Getting the same thing with the stock Stinker NPC wop - the only difference is the addition of the DefensePower variable...