Music Pack Making?

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Music Pack Making?

Post by FinnThor » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:41 pm

I've seen a lot of music packs used for adventures in this forum, and therefore, I was wondering, how do users create their music packs? I would like to know how.

If you don't want to read the illogical equation below, don't highlight it...
Well, D > 18,356 + 362 - -1462 / 46 x 19,363, but is smaller than C < 848, then what does "D" equal?
Sorry, a bit off-topic with the equation, but now back to buisness. [/off-topic]

How do you music-pack-makers make your music packs? If I'm going to use music packs, I should probably use my own music!Or should I?

Edit 9/24/17: Removed Old Stupidity.
Last edited by FinnThor on Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:56 pm

Basically, you just rename a bunch of songs, saved as .oggs, named as a number, put it in the WA Editor/Data/Music folder, and use cheat engine, a hex editor, or similar to set the .wlv's music number to whatever the filename you chose is.

That being said, I do suggest you make sure that whatever type of music pack you want can't be more easily dealt with with an existing music pack. There are a lot out there to pick from.

Of course, THAT being said, a music pack of original music would be neat, so if you feel up to it, go for it. I'll probably lapse into a period of never checking pcpuzzle by the time you release it, and thereby not hear it for like a year, but I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE DEDICATED.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:33 pm

Master Wonder Mage wrote:Basically, you just rename a bunch of songs, saved as .oggs, named as a number, put it in the WA Editor/Data/Music folder, and use cheat engine, a hex editor, or similar to set the .wlv's music number to whatever the filename you chose is.

That being said, I do suggest you make sure that whatever type of music pack you want can't be more easily dealt with with an existing music pack. There are a lot out there to pick from.

Of course, THAT being said, a music pack of original music would be neat, so if you feel up to it, go for it. I'll probably lapse into a period of never checking pcpuzzle by the time you release it, and thereby not hear it for like a year, but I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE DEDICATED.
I'll probably figure out what music pack #s are not taken. Also, what do you mean by "using a cheat engine"? I get that I should use a cheat engine, but what is a cheat engine and how do I use it? :oops: :lol:

For the music pack, I'll just PM you then when it's done so you can hear it ASAP :!:
Cheese!

Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:17 pm

There, uh, is a list of what numbers are taken somewhere. I have no idea where though, and don't have the timenergy to search the forum for it more than the very cursory searchifying I did.

Also, I'm kinda less likely to notice PMs than normal messages. (HIPPO)
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:22 am

I think that Master Wonder Mage is saying that in the adventure save file, it stores the name of the music file. So, by editing the adventure save file, you can use custom music... right? Is that the idea?
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:08 pm

Yes, I can confirm that too from a lot of wasted time spent on that. Just identify the hexadecimal value of your song's number with a hex calculator, open up the wlv you want to change, and scroll back 12 pairs of digits/letters and write yours in. There's four bytes (or bits?) reserved just for music, so the biggest number you can give your song name is in the million millions. That being said, it doesn't have to be. I don't have the full list right now, but just start from 400 and up and you're probably good. I'll be using music in my hub so I need to find the list anyway.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:45 pm

Apparently, everyone forgot that MNIK explained this all in one easy-to-understand paragraph in his own Custom Music topic. Here it is, anyway.
MyNameIsKooky wrote:To use this music in your own levels, open up the .wlv file that you want to apply the music to using a Hex Editor. Scroll down to the bottom of the file. 12 characters to the left of the adventure title you'll see a number. Change this to one of the values to the left of the list of my music above. For instance, if you want to use 254.ogg, change the number to FE. Play the level and you'll have the music! You will no longer be able to change the music in the editor in the .wlv you edited if you do this! Be careful!
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:04 pm

LittleZbot wrote:Apparently, everyone forgot that MNIK explained this all in one easy-to-understand paragraph in his own Custom Music topic. Here it is, anyway.
MyNameIsKooky wrote:To use this music in your own levels, open up the .wlv file that you want to apply the music to using a Hex Editor. Scroll down to the bottom of the file. 12 characters to the left of the adventure title you'll see a number. Change this to one of the values to the left of the list of my music above. For instance, if you want to use 254.ogg, change the number to FE. Play the level and you'll have the music! You will no longer be able to change the music in the editor in the .wlv you edited if you do this! Be careful!
No, I remembered it existed.

Also, I meant on how could we MAKE our own music packs, not use somebody else's music. I've done that before. 8)
Cheese!

Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:48 pm

Make or take music, convert it to .ogg, and number it.

Also, MNIK's quote in the red's is a bit inaccurate. You can change your music again just by re-editing the hexes to one of the first 20 sound files. (00-00-00-00 to 13-00-00-00)

Also, this might help for hex editors.

LIST OF HEX VALUES

00 00 00 00

10 00 00 00

20 00 00 00

etc.

90 00 00 00

A0 00 00 00

B0 00 00 00

C0 00 00 00

etc.

F0 00 00 00

01 00 00 00

11 00 00 00

21 00 00 00

etc.

FF 00 00 00

00 10 00 00

etc.

FF FF FF FF

END
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:03 am

Incidentally, I believe you actually can change the music in-editor after you change the music once by clicking on the blank space, you'll just be unable to see what it was or what it changed to. Changing the music accidentally by doing this is rather annoying.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:55 am

It seems from the hex-editors I've tried, (HexEdit and xvi32), that the four music bytes/hex pairs start off-balance, as so there's half a byte that's not for the music, the other half is the first of the eight music bits, then three more whole pairs, half a music byte, and another non-music byte.

So basically, if you're looking at a wlv with WA Intro Music (10 00 00 00 in hex), the editors will show |01 00 00 00 00| instead of |10 00 00 00|.

So you have to follow the first string, and start from the second half of the bolded byte and end at the first half of the italicized byte, using all of the underlined bytes.

While figuring this out, I also discovered that there's an unused weather component, not sure if stored under weather though. You can get it by going to the first half-music byte, going one more back, and entering '02'. The effect is that the lighting darkens and instantly flashes back to normal in periods of one and a half seconds.

Here's some tests. Read the file comments for more info.

EDIT: Sorry I made some mistakes...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wonderman109 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Re: Music Pack Making?

Post by cloudrac3r » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:13 am

FinnThor wrote:Well, D > 18,356 + 362 - -1462 / 46 x 19,363, but is smaller than C < 848, then what does "D" equal?
So you need to know D.
D is more than 18,356 + 362 - -1462 / 46 x 19,363 (which is about 634125).
However D is also less than C and C is less than 848.
So you've got some kind of impossible problem there. Maybe you should try dividing by zero or adding the square root of -1.