Wonderland Adventures: Hidden Realms - Update Thread

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon May 26, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The only change between those two pictures besides added stuff is that the "void water" tiles have gone from dark grey to dark purple. The lighting levels are the same, though it still has the shifting "disco" colours/"weird" weather effect.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon May 26, 2014 9:49 pm

shifting
Oh. You mean the lights are shifting. Then I'll shut up right about now because that means we really should see them "in motion" before judging, so to speak. The second screenshot is taken at a lighter moment, thus having a different look. Now that I understand what I'm talking about (I'm half asleep right now, actually) I'm sure it actually looks better in-game. Keep on going! 8)
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:31 am

No images or anything, just a status update.

Work has been going a bit slowly, as I've been a little bit busier recently with other things (I've met with a youth worker to help figure out my anxieties and depression, I've been going out with my parents a bit more often, and I've just been sidetracked with other stuff).

I still don't have an ETA for when I'll start looking into testing/quality assurance (I'm still not sure how that's going to play out), let alone when the "finished" product will be released, though I'm still hoping it'll be done sometime before the end of the year. No promises - That's just what I'm hoping for.

At the very least, I can promise that Hidden Realms won't be at E3 this year. :P :wink:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:32 pm

So, y'know, it's weird to think about, but... As of tomorrow, it'll have been 10 years since I first registered on the forums. As much as I'd like to imagine that's not true and I only registered 3 years ago. :P

While releasing HR tomorrow/today would've been pretty cool, it's just not going to happen and I'm not going to try and force myself to do something unrealistic like that. Instead...

Have a trailer. :wink:

Just something quick to tide you over. As it says at the beginning, what you see in the trailer isn't guaranteed to be in the final game. Having said that, due to how far into development HR is now, you can probably expect it to be fairly accurate to the trailer.

Maybe not entirely, though. :P
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Looks awesome! :D :D :D

And congrats on being on the forum for 10 years! :shock:
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:10 am

Congratulations, Qloof! :mrgreen:

I really look forward to being able to finally play your adventures!
They look amazing. :mrgreen:

All so, I like the trailing video that you made for it. :D
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:31 am

This looks amazing!
Previous Adventure:Time Out
Latest Adventure:Please Don't Feed The Dinosaurs!
Upcoming Adventure: History Lessons
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:41 am

A bit late, but thanks for all the positive comments again! :D

My productivity's been shot lately (I blame SGDQ), so progress has been slow. It's still getting done, though.

I might be able to fit the whole hub into the Editor's 99-level limit, but I'm not sure. If I can't, it's not a big deal (I know I can circumvent it for WA3 at least, it'll just take a bit more effort).

Despite saying that my current focus was adventures in Chapter 5 and 6, I've mostly been working on Hub stuff. Yes, I'm procrastinating :P There's still a lot of work to be done all over the place.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:31 am

Is this a trailer of your hub or of the video transitions in your editing software? :lol:

Pointless nitpicking aside, the hub looks very interesting and I'm now absolutely convinced that your texture redesigns are GREAT. They look better in motion than in screenshots and that's a good sign, especially because they already looked fantastic in screenshots.

I can't say much about the puzzles, but they also look good. The section with three buttons and Kaboom!s is probably going to rock.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Qloof234 wrote:(I blame SGDQ)
What's that again? :oops: :oops: :oops:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Wonderland King wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:(I blame SGDQ)
What's that again? :oops: :oops: :oops:
Summer Games Done Quick. Live speedrunning. If you are interested in anything speedrun-related, do anything important BEFORE tuning in to watch or say goodbye to your productivity.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:46 am

Muzozavr wrote:Is this a trailer of your hub or of the video transitions in your editing software? :lol:
Oh, shush. :P I was bored, started messing around with transitions, and liked how it came out.
Muzozavr wrote:Pointless nitpicking aside, the hub looks very interesting and I'm now absolutely convinced that your texture redesigns are GREAT. They look better in motion than in screenshots and that's a good sign, especially because they already looked fantastic in screenshots.

I can't say much about the puzzles, but they also look good. The section with three buttons and Kaboom!s is probably going to rock.
Thanks for the positive comments! I'm still a bit uncertain as to how the puzzles are going to look by the time things are done, but fingers crossed. :)
OondiLalaLoopy
Rainbow Wizard

Post by OondiLalaLoopy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:45 pm

Looks good!
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:58 pm

This is still a thing, right?
Don't come in contact with contaminants.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:33 am

Koopson44 wrote:This is still a thing, right?
I don't have details but I can at least confirm, to my knowledge, that this is indeed still a thing.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:42 am

Yes, it is. I've been away on an unannounced vacation, and I was hoping to get some more work done on HR, though that didn't happen.

Don't worry though, it's far enough along that it'll get finished at some point.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:06 am

So, still no progress? :(
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:49 am

WHOA TALK ABOUT FALLING OFF THE RADAR IT'S BEEN TWO MONTHS (almost)

So, here's the deal. Between school starting up again and personal issues (again), I haven't been getting anything done on HR. HAVING SAID THAT: This is in no way cancelled. Once I've got things sorted out and inspiration hits, I'm going to start working on it again. I don't expect to have it done by the end of the year, but hopefully by then things will definitely be in the final stretch.

Thought I'd drop that here now to get it out of the way. Hidden Realms is far from dead, don't worry.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Qloof

Post by Jutomi » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:43 am

Alright. Thanks, Qloof. :mrgreen:

Good luck!
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:44 am

Nice to hear that the project is still alive. :)
anklejbiter
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by anklejbiter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:25 am

Whoops... sorry, wrong button.
Last edited by anklejbiter on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:29 am

Hey, just so you know, please create a new topic or use an existing one to post various off-topic things like that. Also, you posted it by PM already, no need to post it again in a topic about a certain hub.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:48 am

WHOA 2014 IS OVER (well, almost) I COULD'VE SWORN IT WAS JANUARY LIKE TEN MINUTES AGO

Well, anyways. Bumping this back up with a status update and a "roadmap" (which is to say, the order in which I want to work on things, no deadlines because those are bad) for the next year.

Status update: I'm still working on the Wasteland. Admittedly, I've fallen into one of those productivity ruts where nothing really gets done and I get distracted by other things (which happens far more often than I'd like it to). Having said that, I've gone back and ironed out several long-standing bugs/design flaws in adventures and the hub itself.

There are still numerous minor things throughout the hub I want to change, mostly aesthetic or dialogue changes, but nothing truly game-breaking (other than potentially overfilling the inventory, the map crashing, and one non-game-breaking oversight). I've still got other events to add, as well, but for what's currently there, things are in working order.

Roadmap:
  • 1. Wasteland adventures. I've got a few of these left to go.
    2. Wonderfalls adventures. These are basically just going to be Flash tutorials.
    3. Chasm adventures. Yes, the Chasm is its own unique location... As for what's there, you'll have to wait and see. :P :wink:
    4. Void adventures + events. There aren't really any events in the Void, so that part won't be too difficult to do.
    5. Endgame adventures + events. This is going to be the Big One. While I'm not too confident in my skill when it comes to making difficult adventures (hence why I'm hoping to at least make sure HR is fun), I'd like to do something suitably impressive for the endgame levels.
    6. Endgame events, part 2. There's going to be a lot of stuff in the hub that needs changing post-game. A lot. I'm not sure exactly how this is going to play out just yet.
    7. Hub additions. There are very few NPCs around, other than plot-critical ones. Populating the world is going to come last, along with...
    8. Side adventures. These will be minor tasks for NPCs and such.
    9. Secret area adventures. These are, again, areas where I'm hoping to be able to come up with a genuine challenge, but first and foremost is making sure it's fun.
    10. Super Secret Area stuffs. No spoilers~
    11. Preliminary bugtesting. One last run-over by me alone to see if there are any bugs or typos or whatnot.
    12. Closed beta testing. Please don't message me asking to apply for this. I've still yet to figure out exactly how that's going to work. It's not going to be open, though.
    13. Further bugfixes/touch-ups as required.
    14. Hopefully... Release!
I don't have an ETA on how long all that is going to take. Hopefully sometime before the end of 2015. I've still got schoolwork and other things to balance on top of HR development, so we'll see.

Either way, while it's not as far along as I would've liked, HR is still pretty late in development, I'd say. I'll try not to delay it any longer than necessary.

Also, Happy New Year!
tucker27
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by tucker27 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:01 pm

Are you going to release it for download it in 2015 :lol:
anklejbiter
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by anklejbiter » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:54 pm

Oooh I wanna play this so bad
Links
Contact me where I'm active: Discord. Anklejbiter3141

New Music
Freedom Dive (Cybergrind coming soon…)

My best music
Theme of Skyworld (New and superior version)
Seventeen (A song in 17/16 time :O)

Last Updated 7/16/23
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:36 pm

This is getting better and better.
Don't come in contact with contaminants.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:01 am

WHOA IT'S BEEN FIVE MONTHS SINCE I UPDATED

Well, okay. Progress has been going kinda slowly again, due to school, general loss of interest, and a recent hard drive failure. Don't worry, though, I had a backup! It's missing about half a dozen adventures that were on the old hard drive, but I'm waiting on data recovery for the busted hard drive right now, hopefully the adventures I got completed will be alright. If not, well, I've got a video recorded of one of the adventures, so I can restore it based on that. I'd rather not have to remake all of them, though, for obvious reasons.

AT ANY RATE. While I'm uncertain about being able to get HR done by the end of the year as planned, progress is still continuing. Here's a picture of one of the adventures I recently finished up.

garirry
Rainbow Star

Post by garirry » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:06 pm

Looking very nice! I hope you manage to get the adventures of the dead hard drive somehow. As a general note, I recommend setting up a daily automatic backup or something. Anyway, keep up the good work. :D
tucker27
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by tucker27 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:00 pm

Nice work :D
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:33 pm

I have no idea how you do that Qloof, but some of your textures look like if they used bump mapping. I also like the way you make the noise in monochromatic textures.Well done.

I know all the problems with hub making you mentioned from my own experience, even the problems with hard drive. Good luck with your work.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi