Wonderland Adventures: Hidden Realms - Update Thread

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun May 04, 2014 12:40 am

Thanks for the positive comments, again! :D

And yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands. :P
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Sun May 11, 2014 6:13 pm

Well.. this is my VERY FIRST post on this particular forum. Just figured I would send what I think about this project to Qloof234. I love the coloring for the graphics, as it looks MUCH more realistic, which in my opinion, it seems nearly possible (if not completely possible) for the Wonderland Adventures: Hidden Realms world to be a part of ours. I can't wait for this project to become an actual game playable via the Wonderland Adventures Level Editor 3.0! I have two questions though. Are Cloud City (or was it called Sky City - it has been so long since I have gotten there, I do not remember which one it was called, let alone how many Rainbow Stars were needed to go there, I just remember that at the topmost part of the mountainous area of the Wonderland: Secret Worlds map, if you pressed right, that was how you got to this area) and the other Rainbow Star levels from the original Wonderland: Secret Worlds going to be in Hidden Realms' post-game? I think that the Cloud (Sky) City area (or world, as the original game Hidden Realms is based on suggests) required that all of the Rainbow Stars in the game (excluding those in said area itself, as all of the levels in that particular world had Rainbow Stars instead of normal stars, if I remember correctly), so I would think it would be a post-game thing. Also, I remember having read in the first issue of the Midnight Post that there was a secret ending to Wonderland: Secret Worlds. Will there be a hidden ending to Hidden Realms as well? Just "Wondering around in my own Adventurous thoughts," if you know what I mean by that. In other words, just thought I would ask.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Mon May 12, 2014 11:40 pm

Welcome, rainbowgamer! I don't know any of the answers to your post, but welcome to the forum!
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:51 am

rainbowgamer wrote:Well.. this is my VERY FIRST post on this particular forum.
Welcome to the forums! I'm flattered that you decided to say something in this thread for your first post, haha. :) :oops:
rainbowgamer wrote:I love the coloring for the graphics, as it looks MUCH more realistic, which in my opinion, it seems nearly possible (if not completely possible) for the Wonderland Adventures: Hidden Realms world to be a part of ours.
Thank you for the positive comments! Admittedly, though, I'm not sure I get what you mean by that last bit. Do you mean, like... For HR to become part of the official canon?

If that's what you're getting at, then ohmygosh, you're too kind. :oops: :) I'm flattered, really. I don't think HR is going to match up to the official trilogy in terms of quality, because Patrick knows what he's doing far more than I do, but I'm hoping that at least it turns out to be enjoyable. :)
rainbowgamer wrote:Are Cloud City [...] and the other Rainbow Star levels from the original Wonderland: Secret Worlds going to be in Hidden Realms' post-game?
This is something I'm still thinking about, to be honest. I don't know if Cloud City's going to make a reappearance in the same manner as it did in WSW, but it might show up as a bonus area of some sort.

As far as the Rainbow Star levels go, I've got a similar idea to that around the post-game/side-area secrets, though again, it isn't going to be quite the same as it was in WSW. I'll see what I can do regarding the WSW secret levels themselves, at any rate. :wink:
rainbowgamer wrote:I think that the Cloud City area required that all of the Rainbow Stars in the game (excluding those in said area itself, as all of the levels in that particular world had Rainbow Stars instead of normal stars, if I remember correctly), so I would think it would be a post-game thing.
Yeah, though it wasn't a post-game thing in Secret Worlds. I have an idea regarding it that I might pursue in HR, depending on how well it looks in-game. We'll see. :)
rainbowgamer wrote:Also, I remember having read in the first issue of the Midnight Post that there was a secret ending to Wonderland: Secret Worlds. Will there be a hidden ending to Hidden Realms as well? Just "Wondering around in my own Adventurous thoughts," if you know what I mean by that. In other words, just thought I would ask.
There's going to be an extra "secret area" in HR that's disconnected from the main story, like in the WA Trilogy. If you'd consider that an ending, then yeah, there will be.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:22 pm

Double-post, but...

broken sobbing

(If you're wondering, that's what the Properties window says if I select the Hub and all the Adventures I have done for HR right now. In comparison, doing the same for PoTZ is about 23.3 MB)
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue May 13, 2014 7:33 pm

Is that bad? :?
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:05 pm

Not particularly. The thing is, this means I'll have a lot of folders to rename and have to give some serious thought to distribution regarding this, because I don't think the poor forum servers can take it. :lol:
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue May 13, 2014 10:11 pm

JA:HOTSP might have trouble then, too... :?

Good luck with your quest to finding a solution!

Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:47 am

I don't think I'll upload any pictures of areas after the Wasteland just yet, because I don't want to spoil everything going on here. Having said that, the Wasteland hub is fundamentally complete. Still needs some detailing and whatnot, but other than that it works.

Question time, though: When it comes to adventures, I've been building the "main story" first (which is to say, the main story location adventures, even if not all of them are necessary or related to the main plot) and numbered adventures accordingly, not including any side-area related stuff. What I've done for side-areas that exist is just throw a generic square object with an "ADVENTURE STAR GOES HERE" texture on it, to remind myself of an idea for a level.

Anyways, question related to adventure/Floing menu order:
Should I
A) Have the adventures stay numbered as-is, where all the side-area adventures appear in the list after the story finale, or
B) Re-order the adventures so side-area adventures appear among the adventures in the chapter they can be found in?

While it's true that B will take a bit more effort, it's not too big a deal in the long run. You don't need to worry about me making things unnecessarily complicated for myself, I really don't mind. It just comes down to what you guys would rather see in-game. 8)
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 am

Personally I never cared about the numbering of Floing lists -- as far as everything stays consistent, it should work out fine. Just use one option or the other option, don't mix them, please, because that would just look weird.

I think WA did option A and MOFI/POTZ did option B... or am I wrong on this?
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:07 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I don't think I'll upload any pictures of areas after the Wasteland just yet, because I don't want to spoil everything going on here. Having said that, the Wasteland hub is fundamentally complete. Still needs some detailing and whatnot, but other than that it works.

Question time, though: When it comes to adventures, I've been building the "main story" first (which is to say, the main story location adventures, even if not all of them are necessary or related to the main plot) and numbered adventures accordingly, not including any side-area related stuff. What I've done for side-areas that exist is just throw a generic square object with an "ADVENTURE STAR GOES HERE" texture on it, to remind myself of an idea for a level.

Anyways, question related to adventure/Floing menu order:
Should I
A) Have the adventures stay numbered as-is, where all the side-area adventures appear in the list after the story finale, or
B) Re-order the adventures so side-area adventures appear among the adventures in the chapter they can be found in?

While it's true that B will take a bit more effort, it's not too big a deal in the long run. You don't need to worry about me making things unnecessarily complicated for myself, I really don't mind. It just comes down to what you guys would rather see in-game. 8)
Wait, you can change the order? :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:28 pm

The Floing list is ordered by adventure numbers. To have the side-area adventures appear among the chapter they're reached from, I'd have to go back and renumber the story adventures so they'd fit in.

It's not too big a deal, because I'll probably have a lot of adventure-related debugging to do anyways.
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Last edited by Emerald141 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Fri May 16, 2014 10:34 pm

B. :)
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri May 16, 2014 11:02 pm

Either one sounds good to me. :|

MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Fri May 16, 2014 11:53 pm

I don't think reorganizing the Floing menu is worth the effort. It hardly matters, after all.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sat May 17, 2014 12:59 am

I vote A. :)
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Chances are I'll leave the Floing menu as-is, then, with side-area adventures appearing after the story.

For now, I've got a much more pressing issue related to the Rainbow Shards to deal with.
Koopson44
Rainbow Master

Post by Koopson44 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:35 pm

Don't overwork yourself.
Also, you have a lot of determination. Alot more than i do.
You have gained more of my respect. Not that that means much.
Don't come in contact with contaminants.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:19 am

Late response, but yes, it does mean a lot. Thank you. :D

On another note, I've kinda figured out what to do regarding the Rainbow Shards. It'll leave me a bit tight for space in the last hub area, but I think I'll be able to make things work out.

Also, very WIP version of the Void. How does it look?

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat May 24, 2014 2:46 pm

OK, I know this is mostly color editing, but it looks suprisingly good for just color editing. I think you'd want a tiny bit more contrast between the watery/wavy background and the floor, though. I know you made the floors darker because the original version was, honestly, a bit candy-like, but I think making the floor sliiiiiightly lighter and then making the background a bit darker would work nicely for the feel you're seemingly going for.

If WA can recreate the RTW "lightning" effect, that'd be great. It'd instantly make things more contrasty, but not in a permanent way. It's really not a necessary thing, though.

The floor placement looks great, abstract and weird enough to feel like The Void.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun May 25, 2014 5:13 am

Thanks! :D I haven't actually changed the level-texture, though. The difference is that the lighting in that image is a solid darker shade and has the "Weird" weather setting (like in WA1).

The old picture I showed of the void texture had purple/pink lighting, making the texture look oversaturated.
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Sun May 25, 2014 1:23 pm

I don't know if it's just me, but your version of the Void in the picture gives a kinda lonely vibe, instead of creepy. It's more depressing/desolate than evil, if you get my drift.
But if that's the atmosphere you want, then good job. I always thought that the Void should be like the evilest place in (or out of) Wonderland though. :P
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Mon May 26, 2014 12:20 am

The Void is still part of Wonderland, even though it came into existence as a magic storm. The border that defines Wonderland's east is Stinker's Pyramid, at the edge of the RTW map.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:37 pm

samuelthx wrote:I don't know if it's just me, but your version of the Void in the picture gives a kinda lonely vibe, instead of creepy. It's more depressing/desolate than evil, if you get my drift.
But if that's the atmosphere you want, then good job. I always thought that the Void should be like the evilest place in (or out of) Wonderland though. :P
I'm hoping for more of a "lonely" vibe as opposed to just straight-up "creepy", yeah. Speaking of which:

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Mon May 26, 2014 5:55 pm

Oh my goodness! :o

You really know how to set the mood with things...

this looks so beautiful, and yet so sad at the same time...

I admire your work greatly. :mrgreen:

Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Mon May 26, 2014 6:30 pm

looks good!
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:37 pm

I strongly prefer the darker version. It's just more depressing. :mrgreen:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon May 26, 2014 8:59 pm

OK, the second picture is more visually appealing, but the mood is all over the place now. An in-between version would be nice. The darker version is a bit too un-contrasty for its light level, so a liiiitle bit more light is needed, but I think you've overcompensated. The lighter version looks less like The Void now and more like a beautiful (and very expensive) strawberry cake made by Willy Wonka and/or Tim Burton. Which is a good thing because I like Burton and I like Wonka, but in this context... yeah, it feels a bit weird.

Anyway, it still looks amazing and I can't wait to see the result. It really looks like something that could stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the official WA games.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Mon May 26, 2014 9:07 pm

I think that's just the "weird" lighting effect...
not much can be done with the disco lights. :|