[ENDED] 7 Adventures: The Omnidirectional Contest! [ENDED]

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

[ENDED] 7 Adventures: The Omnidirectional Contest! [ENDED]

Post by Jutomi » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Contestants:

Nobody - 0
Timecrokba - 0
jdl - 3
LittleZbot - 0
kidkidaaa1 - 3
Yzfm - 0
Jutomi - 3

Hello, everystinker! It's Jutomi, here, and I'm bringing forth the entries of various users for the Omnidirectional Contest!

Click HERE to open the first phase of the contest.

We're entering second phase here, where various users vote on what contest submission they like best!
Whatever vote that user picks will be put into the vote counter at the top of the post.
Video solutions, by me, will be linked to the bottom of this top post.

So, you may be asking, how do you vote?
It's simple! Just which one you personally like most out of all of them!
Everybody is invited! However, there are two rules:

1. You may only vote once.
2. You may not vote on your own submission, if you have one.

That is all! The votes will be tallied, and whichever adventure receives the most points wins!
If there is a tie, then the two or more with the most votes engage in Phase 3 (i.e. a secondary vote).
If it's 50-50 or ⅓⅓⅓ for all the remaining submissions...
well, I guess they all win then. :lol:

Oh, yeah, and did I forgot to mention that the winner will get a grand prize of one hundred gems?
Second place will get 50 gems, Third place will get 10 gems, and last place...
well, I'll let you hug my pet scritter if it makes you feel any better.
- of course, if I end up last-place, I'll just have to hug my own scritter. :lol:

May the games begin! Happy Wonderlanding! :mrgreen:

Video Solutions:

Jutomi's playthrough of Nobody/Goorab's

Jutomi's solution to Timecrokba's

Jutomi's playthrough of jdl's

Jutomi's Playthrough of LittleZbot's

Jutomi's Solution to LittleZbot's

Intentional Solution to Cookie/kidkidaaa1's

Alternate solution to Cookie/kidkidaaa1's by Cookie

Jdl's solution to Yzfm's

Jutomi's solution of Jutomi's

Alternate solution to Jutomi's by Jdl

Last edit: July 14th 2016. Edited four years later simply to remove a single ?.
Last edited by Jutomi on Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:17 am, edited 14 times in total.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

The Contest Entries

Post by Jutomi » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:26 pm

Here is a .zip for all of the contest submissions,
file-named ODC#(1/7)_(User).

Note: Timecrokba's sent me the editing file, but all's fine now (:lol:),
and jdl has a custom texture as well. When unzipping into your adventures inbox,
you should see 7 adventures, one file named "jdl", and one text
which I renamed to "OCD_How To Install Jdl Textures.txt"(basically I added ODC_ and JDL Textures).

Anyhow, I hope you all enjoy! :mrgreen:

Oh, uh, something I should mention:
I renamed these ODC# so they'd all appear next to each other.
However, they still come up as made by "jdl", "Jutomi" etc.
Also, the second entry, by Timecrokba, was released as "Jutomi" as well,
since I had to go and upload it in my editor and I didn't realize the thing about
the names and... yeah, just look for our names in the "O" section of your level list. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jutomi on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:26 pm

This post is reserved for honorable mentions. :P
(i.e. late contest entries or entries that go out-of-bounds)

ab-47
Rainbow Star

Post by ab-47 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Chapter 1

WHAT IT MEANS
Oh god, this! :lol:

I'm voting for jdl. :)
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:37 pm

ab-47 wrote:
Chapter 1

WHAT IT MEANS
Oh god, this! :lol:

I'm voting for jdl. :)
I'm glad you enjoyed it. :lol: In case anyone wants to know what the reference for that was.
Also, I'm going to vote for kidkidaaa1's adventure. I enjoyed figuring it out, even though my solution wasn't the intended one. :)
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:56 pm

I vote for kidkid's adventure too. :)
Timecrokba
Rainbow Wonderlander

Re: The Contest Entries

Post by Timecrokba » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:35 pm

Jutomi wrote:Timecrokba's sent me the editing file, but all's fine now (:lol:),
Also, the second entry, by Timecrokba, was released as "Jutomi" as well,
since I had to go and upload it in my editor and I didn't realize the thing about
the names and... yeah, just look for our names in the "O" section of your level list. :lol:
... Woops
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:21 pm

It was bothering me so I took the time to manually edit the master.dat for Timecrokba's entry. You can download the fixed file below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:32 pm

Well, the time has come for me to review all these adventures and vote for one.

Don't Listen to Gods - This one is the best one!

Overgrown Plants - It's not a BAD adventure, but the scenery is so gratuitous that it actually obscures the puzzle elements and makes everything harder to see. Once I went into the editor and replaced every scenery element with a chair I quickly realized that the only challenge in this adventure is for collecting two coins if you want to get gold. I couldn't figure out how to get those coins though.

Escaping Florida: Episode III - This is just a dialog-based adventure, but it also has a lot of effort put into it to make it the best dialog-based adventure it can be, which I greatly appreciate. The dialog is good, and the "flavor" is also good.

Options - This is an interesting puzzle, although it would be nice to somehow know at the start which bridges are where, and the invisible rotator is weird. Are you sure you didn't accidentally place an invisible rotator instead of a regular rotator? I liked how you used Lurkers instead of scenery or something to block off the quadrants, that was neat. I still haven't actually solved this adventure though.

Controlling Spikes - This puzzle is quite clever as well. I actually couldn't solve this one because the solution I came up with required two grow charges instead of just one. The atmosphere in this adventure also works well.

Yzfm's Entry - I liked the puzzles that existed here, despite their simplicity, but man. You really tried to kill us all with those fireflowers didn't you? Also, I didn't get past the chomper at the end so I'm going to say that doing so is impossible. I still liked this adventure though, don't get me wrong.

One Way or Another - Not bad, but it relied a lot on using scenery as walls. Still, the puzzle itself wasn't bad. It was a pretty well-designed puzzle. Although I might have been too lazy to bother to solve it.

---

In the end, I'm voting for Escaping Florida: Episode III, and I swear I'm not just voting for it because it's one of the two or three adventures I managed to properly solve. It's the one I feel is most deserving of my vote! Honest!
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:27 pm

I'm actually not going to vote for anyone's, since I liked a lot of yours and can't figure out what I like most. :P

Also, updating the top post for the current amount of votes. :)

Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:29 pm

Is there a voting deadline?
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:52 pm

Oh... well, it was going to be a week after these were uploaded,
but since I kind of forgot to mention it, I'll push it until this Wednesday (7/13/2016)

Also, I hope that date's right. :lol:

LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:11 am

Nobody wrote:Options - This is an interesting puzzle, although it would be nice to somehow know at the start which bridges are where...
I quickly realized that it would be unfair not to tell people which bridges go where, but I couldn't come up with a good method. Eventually I just marked each section with a single colored tile in a feeble attempt to kind of show where the bridges led. Green tile section has the moss bridges, blue has mecha, ect.

And, yes, in retrospect, it is quite possible I accidentally used an invisible rotater instead of an actual one. Terribly sorry.
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:49 pm

Long time no see guys!!

While I don't foresee that I'll have the time to play any other adventures in the near future, I decided to indulge myself this once. (don't worry I'll be back eventually whether you like it or not 🌚🌚)

I've not completed all the adventures yet, and so I'll leave my vote till then, which will most probably be Tuesday. Indeed, Brexit has reinforced within me the importance of voting responsibly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok now on to the reviews
Don't listen to gods: you never fail to deliver with those witty dialogues. The puzzle itself looks quite unsolvable in the sense that (I think) it's going to take a lot of good timing, and saving and loading to complete it. I'm a bit afraid TBH :lol:

Overgrown plants: I have also not completed this due to the excessively lush scenery. Just a bit of feedback: try not to centre your puzzle around view-blocking tactics as those are really just classified as fake difficulty.

Escaping Florida: quite an amusing dialogue based adventure that gave me a good laugh. The lack of a real puzzle is a bit of a pity though (though to be fair it is difficult to make a good puzzle with this layout).

Options: an interesting adventure with a message! Like Nobody, I liked your creative and effective use of elements (instead of spamming scenery etc). The puzzle was the right blend of fun and moderately challenging. Here I would just like to clarify one thing:
While I understand that making the adventure unsolvable would cohere to the philosophy in the adventure, can I check that nothing happens when I pick up the item and the adventure effectively cannot be won?
Controlling spikes: I haven't completed this one yet, but it looks like it will need lots of quick movements. Maybe there's an easier solution...we'll see... :lol:

Yzfm's entry: Wow. This is one of the most evil adventures I've seen in a long, long time (the fireflowers...) :| Otherwise, I liked the part where you had to get past the chomper: after several unsuccessful tries I finally came up with a solution (that involved waiting for a grow flower to burst...) I ended up with a Brr charger left over though.

One way or another: As expected from the creator of this contest, this puzzle was challenging at first, but became easier and quite satisfying when I realised several preparations had to be made. I ended up not using any teleporters or pressing any colour change buttons though, not sure if that was intended?

Thanks Jutomi for hosting this contest, and thank you to all who participated: I really enjoyed your creations! I'll write a new post with my vote when I'm done playing everyone's levels. :D :|
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:56 pm

samuelthx wrote:One way or another: As expected from the creator of this contest, this puzzle was challenging at first, but became easier and quite satisfying when I realised several preparations had to be made. I ended up not using any teleporters or pressing any colour change buttons though, not sure if that was intended?
Uh - well, if you could divide the puzzle up into two, then yeah, you'd have skipped the second part I had at mind,
but as long as you got the first part done
(which as with jdl's solution seems to be the only way to do that part),
I'm ok with this. :lol:

Glad you enjoyed! :D

LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:31 pm

samuelthx wrote: Options: an interesting adventure with a message! Like Nobody, I liked your creative and effective use of elements (instead of spamming scenery etc). The puzzle was the right blend of fun and moderately challenging. Here I would just like to clarify one thing:
While I understand that making the adventure unsolvable would cohere to the philosophy in the adventure, can I check that nothing happens when I pick up the item and the adventure effectively cannot be won?
While my original intent was to adhere to the same philosophy and make the adventure unwinnable, I decided that, 1, it'd be annoying and unfair, and, 2, it'd be against the rules of the contest. After you collect the item, read the sign once more.

On a completely unrelated note, I haven't posted my thoughts on any adventures because I have yet to complete more than two. Once I'm done, I will vote.

LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:39 pm

DP:

Here are my thoughts on each adventure (excluding Options, of course).

Don't Listen to Gods: The dialogue was, of course, great, but the puzzle beyond felt repetitive and frustrating. Not terrible, but not as good as I thought it would be. I did like the creative use of stinkers as walls, along with how the turtles and all that fit into the dialogue.

Overgrown Plants: I feel like this was originally an easy puzzle, and then the creator just added a bunch of plants to stop you from moving and to block out necessary tools from view. It's honestly quite annoying - I would have even preferred regular walls, contest rules or not. I did manage to enjoy the puzzle itself, though.

Escaping Florida: Episode III: Along with most of the others who reviewed this adventure, the lack of an actual puzzle threw me a little. This essentially is just a simple fetch quest, but, thanks to witty dialogue, clever character ideas, and, of course, WHAT IT MEANS, it's probably the best fetch-quest adventure I've played since Chrasmist in Wondertown, despite being so short.

Controlling Spikes: Good atmosphere, brilliantly made puzzle. I'd say that this took advantage of the level design more than any other adventure. Others had puzzles based around the design - this puzzle merged with the design, making it feel like the design had been created for it. However, as smart as the puzzle was, it was still rather frustrating to complete, and I ended up not being able to work out a proper solution with good timing.

Yzfm's Entry: At first, I felt like you didn't even try with this adventure, and just threw random crap around the level to make it difficult. Then, as I progressed through, I saw the underlying genius of the puzzle within. Oh, and I died. A lot.

One Way or Another: I'm going to be completely honest here: I got stuck about ten seconds in and haven't figured it out yet. I think this adventure may be impossible. Except it's not, so I'm just dumb.

I'd say I've gotten a pretty good idea of every adventure except One Way or Another, but whatever that turns into, I'm almost positive my vote would stay the same.

My Vote: Although it practically guarantees that my entry, and most others, will inevitably lose, I don't have to think twice about voting for jdl's Escaping Florida: Episode III. Hilarious, full of charm, and completely unexpected, it won me over very quickly, though I would have preferred having to earn those coins instead of simply asking for them.

WHY THE OTHERS DIDN'T MAKE IT:

Don't Listen to Gods: As should be obvious from earlier, it was the repetitive and annoying main puzzle that held this entry back from the winning spot.

Overgrown Plants: It felt like the plants were a cheap way to make an easy puzzle difficult, which just turns out to make an easy puzzle annoying.

Controlling Spikes: Easily the closest, this adventure only lost by a hair. The killing blow was, ironically, the greatest asset to the adventure: The puzzle was just a little too difficult for its own good, and I wasn't able to receive full enjoyment because of that.

Yzfm's Entry: Well-designed and well-planned, the biggest downfall of the adventure were the cheap fireflowers near the end, which gave a clever adventure a well-defined tinge of frustration.

Not that my adventure is great; in fact, I'd put every one of these above it. You all did a fantastic job on each adventure, so congratulations on making something entertaining with the hindrance of such a simple design.

|Cookie|
Rainbow Star

Post by |Cookie| » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:30 am

samuelthx wrote:Controlling spikes: I haven't completed this one yet, but it looks like it will need lots of quick movements. Maybe there's an easier solution...we'll see... :lol:
LittleZbot wrote:However, as smart as the puzzle was, it was still rather frustrating to complete, and I ended up not being able to work out a proper solution with good timing.

Controlling Spikes: Easily the closest, this adventure only lost by a hair. The killing blow was, ironically, the greatest asset to the adventure: The puzzle was just a little too difficult for its own good, and I wasn't able to receive full enjoyment because of that.
I'm saying this just so you two don't get overwhelmed (not sure if it's the correct word to use): the whole puzzle depends on figuring out from which direction should the spikey-ball press the button, I made sure to give the player a good amount of breaks while leading the spikey-ball so they don't have to do it quickly/in a single shot (that would be too frustrating and annoying). There's an alternate solution (found by jdl/jutomi) that made it even easier to lead the spikey-ball to the button. :lol:

Basically, no quick fingers required.
(EDIT: The intended solution does use a trick right at the end which may require fast fingers, but with the existence of the alt solution, I doubt anyone would find the real one) :lol:
Previously known as "kidkidaaa1"
My level list
My hub: TTN
Woof Woof
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:20 pm

Nobody wrote:Escaping Florida: Episode III - This is just a dialog-based adventure, but it also has a lot of effort put into it to make it the best dialog-based adventure it can be, which I greatly appreciate. The dialog is good, and the "flavor" is also good.
samuelthx wrote:Escaping Florida: quite an amusing dialogue based adventure that gave me a good laugh. The lack of a real puzzle is a bit of a pity though (though to be fair it is difficult to make a good puzzle with this layout).
LittleZbot wrote:Escaping Florida: Episode III: Along with most of the others who reviewed this adventure, the lack of an actual puzzle threw me a little. This essentially is just a simple fetch quest, but, thanks to witty dialogue, clever character ideas, and, of course, WHAT IT MEANS, it's probably the best fetch-quest adventure I've played since Chrasmist in Wondertown, despite being so short.
Thank you all very much!
Yes, I did have trouble coming up with a puzzle since my main goal was writing the dialog first, but I suppose I'm happy with the small fetch quest that it turned out to be. :D
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

10/10

Post by Jutomi » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:49 pm

Video solutions are posted! I hope you all enjoy! :D

Note: I came close to solving Yzfm's, but I never actually did; jdl was the one who found the full solution. ;)

LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:16 pm

Ha ha, I somehow completely forgot that Pop could deactivate bridges while I was playing your level, Jutomi. Level now completed after watching the first five seconds of video. A pretty fun puzzle, but not enough to change my vote (no offense).

@kidkidaaa1, thanks for the hint. I was able to complete the adventure much more quickly because of it.

Regarding the solutions posted to "Options," the playthrough details the intended solution, and the quicker solution is actually something my brother found while testing the adventure for me, and was actually one of the main reasons I called it "Options." :)

Also, at this rate, there will be no third place. jdl and kidkidaaa1 get all the glory. :?

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:07 pm

LittleZbot wrote:Also, at this rate, there will be no third place. jdl and kidkidaaa1 get all the glory. :?
Yeah, I was worried that everyone'd get one point and nothing'd happen. Turns out it was quite different from that. :lol:

|Cookie|
Rainbow Star

Post by |Cookie| » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:44 pm

I'm voting for Jutomi's.
While Jdl's entry was brilliant and hilarious, I feel like it didn't really take advantage of the layout since it was dialog driven, which could be done in any other layout. (also, we need a 3rd place don't we :lol: )
The puzzles in the other adventures were nice, I think jutomi's was the one which is the most well thought, I think decoration is pretty nice too. :mrgreen:
Previously known as "kidkidaaa1"
My level list
My hub: TTN
Woof Woof
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:44 am

Oh. I just realized there was a pretty major alternate solution to my adventure that I overlooked. The intended solution utilized all six turtles.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
samuelthx
Rainbow Master

Post by samuelthx » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:49 am

Well, so I have completed all the adventures posted here.

Don't listen to gods: I take back what I said about the adventure. It was actually extremely easy (too easy in fact :lol:) and not tedious at all. Judging from your post I think I did it the unintended way. A pity--if not for that loophole your adventure could have been rather challenging.

Overgrown plants: an easy puzzle made frustrating by fake difficulty. As mentioned before, try not to use view obscuring elements too much. You have great potential for more challenging puzzles; keep it up! :)

Controlling spikes: I completed this without using any "tricks". By the way, if the trick was to freeze yourself, there would be at least 2 ways to get the spikeyball onto the button using that trick. As such, I found figuring out a way to avoid that trick much more satisfying than using that trick (and following the obvious hints laid out in the level). And you were right: it didn't really require fast moves at all :D

Right now I'm stuck between Jutomi's, Cookie's and LittleZbot's. Will be posting my vote soon!

EDIT: out of these three puzzles all of them had alternative solutions/loopholes. Which makes my decision all the more difficult to make. :lol:

My vote goes to kidkidaa because of the seamless integration of the puzzle into the given terrain. The alternative solution was also satisfying to solve (perhaps even more fun to find than the intended one). Jutomi comes in a close second for me, but what put him below kidkid was the host of unused elements. LittleZbot's was tremendous fun to play and solve, but wasn't as challenging, and IIRC I didn't have to visit all the signboards to solve the adventure.

tl:dr my vote goes to Controlling Spikes
DerpzSpycrab
Gold Wonderlander

Post by DerpzSpycrab » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Nobody wrote:Oh. I just realized there was a pretty major alternate solution to my adventure that I overlooked. The intended solution utilized all six turtles.
You mean that wasn't the intended solution?

aaaaaaaaa :x
nothing to see here yet
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:18 pm

Hey guys! Well, time to finally post my thoughts and cast my vote!

Don't listen to gods: Firstly, the dialogue is - as you should expect - freakin' amazing! The puzzle, despite its simplicity, was actually pretty fun! Although I'm pretty sure I used the unintended solution.

Overgrown Plants: As stated before, it was annoying how the scenery blocked the view. But otherwise, it was a decent puzzle.

Escaping Florida: Wow, just wow. Although this adventure lacked an actual puzzle, its dialogue is one of the funniest things I've seen in a good while. That's WHAT IT MEANS, folks. :lol:

Options: This is one of the adventures that stumped me the longest. I really liked the puzzle in there, and I liked how you didn't use scenery to make walls (The lurkers are a nice touch). This one is pretty cool!

Controlling Spikes: This one is also pretty cool! It was one of which I enjoyed figuring out the most. I also liked how the puzzle took full advantage of the layout. It was a very clever puzzle, although my solution was not the intended one.

One Way or Another: This is the one which stumped me for the longest time! Actually, I was about to cast my vote without finishing it. But then I decided to give it one more try, and I solved it! I felt so much satisfaction after solving it (although I'm pretty sure I skipped something because I didn't use any teleporters).

And finally, my vote goes to Jutomi's One Way or Another.
It simply felt like the hardest and most challenging one, which appealed to me. The puzzle was very clever and I felt really great when I figured it out.

Oh yeah, um, about my entry, I apologize about the fireflowers. I intended to make a little fun action-based part, but it ended up being tedious and frustrating. However, I was in a rush to get that adventure out, so that's why I didn't really change anything. The extra brr charger was a mistake on my part, it was intended for an extra part of the puzzle that I scrapped later on.
Previous Adventure:Time Out
Latest Adventure:Please Don't Feed The Dinosaurs!
Upcoming Adventure: History Lessons
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:00 pm

Not that I mind at all, but I think it's pretty funny how my adventure was enjoyed by everyone, and I didn't get one vote! :lol:

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:48 pm

LittleZbot wrote:Not that I mind at all, but I think it's pretty funny how my adventure was enjoyed by everyone, and I didn't get one vote! :lol:
I actually abstained because I was tied between voting for you and voting for jdl. ;)

LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:00 pm

Jutomi wrote:
LittleZbot wrote:Not that I mind at all, but I think it's pretty funny how my adventure was enjoyed by everyone, and I didn't get one vote! :lol:
I actually abstained because I was tied between voting for you and voting for jdl. ;)
Well, that's something, at least! :D