The Proud Wonderlander Contest [CONCLUDED!]

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Re: The Proud Wonderlander Contest [VOTING PHASE]

Post by nasko222 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:15 pm

Here are my final votes from best to last. (Excluding mine)

1. Rainbow Treat (Garirry)
2. Pocket Magic (Jutomi)
3. Special Diversity Sequence (Nobody)
4. On the Edge of the Rainbow (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09)
5. Desert Bifrost (Jutomi)
6. (searching) Samuel
7. 3D Rainbow Maze (ILoveWonderland/Joseppy/Joey)
8. Dual Solution (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09)
9. Colour Coded for Your Convenience (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09)
10. Dual Solution 2 (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09)
11. The Sunrain Ship (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09)
12. The ****** Father, Part 2 (MNIK)
InvisibleWater6512
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by InvisibleWater6512 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:59 am

I guess I'll rank the entries I've completed:

EDIT: And a few I haven't

1. Pocket Magic (Jutomi)
2. Special Diversity Sequence (Nobody)
3. Rainbow Treat (garirry)
4. (searching) Samuel
5. 3D Rainbow Maze (ILoveWonderland/Joseppy/Joey)
6. Dual Solution 2 (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox109)
7. The Sunrain Ship (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox109)
8. Desert Bifrost (Jutomi)
Last edited by InvisibleWater6512 on Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:13 pm

InvisibleWater6512 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:59 am
4. (searching) (samuelthx)
I'm not samuelthx but thanks nevertheless. :^)
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:16 pm

Oh and I swear I'll get my ratings in soon™. Hopefully©.
ILoveWonderland
Rainbow Master

Post by ILoveWonderland » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:03 pm

My rankings:

1. (searching) Samuel - I mean how could I not rank this first?! A masterclass of atmosphere, visuals, and puzzle design.
2. Pocket Magic (Jutomi) - A very unique central mechanic with a very fun puzzle to solve, with some cool aesthetics too.
3. Special Diversity Sequence (Nobody) - A unique atmosphere and engaging storyline ranks this entry at third place.
4. -1 (Nasko) - I didn't use all the magic, but the puzzles were very enjoyable to solve.
5. The ****** Father, Part 2 (MNIK) - This adventure is absolutely insane, but its writing was to genius not to rank this in the upper half.
6. On the Edge of the Rainbow (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09) - Decent, if simplistic, puzzles and action segments.
7. 3D Rainbow Maze (ILoveWonderland/Joseppey/Joey) - I'm following Nobody's precedent of putting my entry in the middle.
8. Rainbow Treat (Garirry) - A solid (if easy) puzzle, though I didn't need all the magics.
9. Dual Solution 2 (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09) - It's alright, but not a whole lot here.
10. Dual Solution (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09) - It's alright, but not a whole lot here except annoying chompers that aren't in its sequel.
11. The Sunrain Ship (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09) - I think there's an interesting idea here with an adventure set entirely on a ship, but the lack of gameplay prevents me from rating this higher.
12. Desert Bifrost (Jutomi) - Some cool visuals, but they're a bit too similar to those in Samuel's entry, and this entry lacks gameplay.
13. Colour Coded for Your Convenience (Womderman109/Wondorthofox09) - There's a decent idea here, but (at least with how I solved it) I found executing the solution to be too frustrating.

Edit: 500 POSTS!!!!!!!1!!!1!1!!! I AM A RAINBOW MASTER!!!!!111!!!!11!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:06 am

Hi all! I've finally updated the contest zip file so the icons used in my first adventure have a different name ("doublestandard"; idk what it's supposed to be but xD) and updated my adventure to find it. THIS IS NOT AN UPDATE TO THE ADVENTURE'S GAMEPLAY, which I myself might consider doing another time but afaict it's pretty hard to "fix" so xD leaving it; this is only an update so you no longer have to replace your default icons.

Why were they "standard" in the first place, you may ask? I honestly have no idea; apparently this was the standard used in OpenWA, but then apparently that changed at some point? And I never got the memo, so I just assumed it was OpenWA standard (which, in hindsight, seems pretty silly I put a secondary icon set in "just in case"), so uh... now I too have the default standard icons :lol:

For those of you who had your original standard icons wiped without a backup, here is an attachment containing the original standard icons. :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Contest Entry Solutions

Post by Jutomi » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:46 pm

I've finally uploaded all of my video solutions. Only took a month :lol:

The Full Playlist

If you just want individual adventures:

- Rainbow Treat by Garirry
- 3D Rainbow Maze by Joseppy
- Pocket Magic by Jutomi
- Desert Bifrost by Jutomi {easter egg in playlist}
- -1 by Nasko222
- Special Diversity Sequence by Nobody {easter egg in playlist}
- (Searching) by Samuel:
+ Part 1
+ Part 2
- Colour Coded for Your Convenience by Wonderman109
- Dual Solution by Wonderman109
- Dual Solution 2 by Wonderman109
- On the Edge of the Rainbow by Wonderman109:
+ Part 1
+ Part 2
- The Sunrain Ship by Wonderman109

And, for all the kids old enough to be allowed to read swears (I mean in this day and age if you're anywhere on the internet you basically are):
- The S***** Father, Part 2 by MNIK

Important Notice: You all have three weeks to vote! You may also rank your votes based off of the videos I provided, if you wish. However, I strongly advise playing these if you can; it will give you a better gauge as to whether you enjoyed playing them.

Edit: Also, if you happen to find an alternate solution, or are the creator of one of the entries and wish to notify me of anything I may have missed, please let me know! I'd be delighted to update this at any time.

|Cookie|
Rainbow Star

Post by |Cookie| » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:34 pm

Here are my vote, as per usual, at the last second, teehee!

1. Searching (sarn)
2. Pocket Magic (jut)
3. Special Diversity Sequence (nobody)
4. Rainbow Treat (garirry)
5. -1 (Nasko)
6. The [REDACTED} Father (manick)
7. Colour Coded for Your Convenience (Wonderman)
8. 3D Rainbow Maze (puzzle angel)
9. Desert Bifrost (Jutomi)
10. Dual Solution 1 (Wonderman)
11. Sunrain Ship (Wonderman)
12. On the Edge of the Rainbow (Wonderman)
13. Dual Solution 2 (Wonderman)
Last edited by |Cookie| on Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Previously known as "kidkidaaa1"
My level list
My hub: TTN
Woof Woof
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:00 pm

Giving you all until 6PM EST this Sunday to vote. :P

DO NOT edit your vote if you've submitted them before now, since I've calculated everything. Unless you're Cookie, cause I mean you just posted that and I kept a rank without yours separate lol (but please let me know if you've edited it)

nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:07 pm

drumrolls
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:00 am

Here are my ratings from most favorite to least favorite:

1. (searching) (Samuel): Phenomenal adventure all around, going so far above and beyond for this little contest. It contains a great deal of high-quality content. The puzzles were challenging without being overwhelming, and they also managed to be very unique. Samuel is always on point with adventure atmosphere, music choices, and dialog style. Very clever use of various object logics to create neat scenery. Similar to how Nasko felt, I was also a little confused by what to do during the intro (even though you don't have to do anything), but the intro scene continues to remain in my mind long after I finished playing the adventure. I love the day/night setting variations too. Having to parse the large puzzle area without a Spy-Eye for a while was a little cumbersome, but it didn't bother me much.

2. Pocket Magic (Jutomi): I didn't use the Floing but it was a cute puzzle! This was a very cool demonstration of a new mechanic.

3. Special Diversity Sequence (Nobody): I used the Floing but the adventure had a fun narrative and I loved the writing style! That's been consistent with your work.

4. 3D Rainbow Maze (ILoveWonderland/Joseppey/Joey): I didn't use Floing but Joseppey always pulls through when it comes to creating unique and interesting mechanisms in his adventures.

5. Colour Coded for Your Convenience (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09): This adventure would have been a very solid puzzle, but it's way too needlessly convoluted. The buttons should have just been fully visible rather than hidden via the LevelTexture, since it's impossible to tell which buttons have already been used, and it's also very hard to tell that only the orange buttons act like diamond buttons. I wish the water was deep enough to show the bridge locations ahead of time. The bridges that rose really slowly for no apparent reason added to my confusion. The additional bridges that rose without warning added even more confusion to the already-bizarre level design. The ducks don't seem to have a purpose for existing beyond being an RNG-based nuisance. Manipulating the Chomper to do what is needed is pretty annoying. Solving this adventure was very satisfying, but it's unfortunately marred by its very unclear design and general lack of communication with the player.

6. -1 (Nasko): I'm not a fan of the way different subcolors are used for such different purposes. That made working through the puzzle feel more like trial and error rather than planning ahead, since it's hard to tell which buttons affect which gates. The southeast corner is the worst offender in that regard, especially with the indigo DiamondOnce button and indigo timer button having totally different subcolors, thus confusing me about that area's objective. Setting aside that big issue, this was a pretty solid puzzle, and it was still satisfying to solve. I spent a while thinking about how to use the magics at the end to get the other coin next to the star before I discovered it was all just a troll, which felt pretty out-of-place (and deceptive) compared to the rest of the adventure. I got Gold without using the Brr or Pop from the starting area and also had a blue key to spare, and also didn't touch one of the square rainbow buttons.

7. Desert Bifrost (Jutomi): The scenery is beautiful and the rainbow spirit collecting the coins is a very cool touch. I just wish there was gameplay to accompany it.

8. The Sunrain Ship (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09): It's cool to see an actual level take place on top of a boat. I feel like I haven't seen that much outside of cutscenes. This was really cute.

9. Rainbow Treat (Garirry): I didn't use the Floing but it was a cute (albeit unremarkable) puzzle. The turtle mechanism was cool.

10. On the Edge of the Rainbow (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09): There are a couple interesting puzzle concepts here and there, but overall it's just a lot of enemy spam. I also didn't understand the dialog at all.

11. Dual Solution 2 (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09): The adventure description calls this the hard version, but it's easier than the original. :lol: I'm glad that I didn't have to do any Chomper-gate timing stuff for this one.

12. Dual Solution (Wonderman109/Wondorthofox09): Cute but not particularly interesting. Killing some of the Chompers was a bit cumbersome.

13. The ****** Father, Part 2 (MNIK): I didn't put Floing in this adventure but it was an adventure. I only created and submitted it because I thought the contest would make for a funny framing device.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:14 pm

so many mentions of Floing :D

Edit: wait why the 3d maze one, there was no magic there and yet another floing mention, did you mean it for other adventure?
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:06 pm

So for the record I'm pretty awful at puzzles so at times I did have to resort to Jutomi's video solutions. Rest assured these are still as genuine of opinions that I can muster.

1. Atomic Submarine, by ab-47 — An insanely good level and one of the funniest experiences I've had in a while. I didn't use the Floing but I did use my heart to fall in love with this brilliant duet of puzzles. I apologize to every scritter I offended during this and I will never do that thing again. And like Jeremy said before the climax, holy crap this is unbelievable. I'm not sure how the hell you did that thing with the tentacles but that'll haunt my dreams for weeks. You should be proud. Have pride. Thanks the for fun! :stinkyhappy:

2. Desert Bifrost, by Jutomi — Literally one of the best adventures here, sorry. The aesthetic here is :omega: and is really just a great experience. Also LMFAO the ending.

3. Special Diversity Sequence, by Goorab — The Magical Tests-lite. Fun aesthetics and the dialogue is brilliant plus the puzzles are really nice. Not much to complain about here but the briefness of the level works well and the twist to the ending puzzle is cool. The Brr scritter is pain. I'm 26, but thanks.

4. Pocket Magic, by Jutomi — I suck at puzzles. The solution you proffer is really brilliant however. Awesome aesthetics!

5. -1, by Nasko222 — :SCREAM: this is insane. A good level but really overwhelming in puzzle. To be fair smotherpuzzles are nothing new and it's a treat when they appear in modern WA. Had to resort to Jutomi's solution (SORRY) but man the design here is good. The different directions with the magic alley in the west is really clever. That dialogue had me on edge but good save I think.

6. Rainbow Treat, by Garirry — Well, it's certainly no Turbo Trickery Tower. Silliness aside this is a good magic puzzle and I enjoyed it. Took me a while to figure it out but it blends well.

7. On the Edge of the Rainbow, by Wonderman109 — This is a good one. It's a glorified sequence of puzzles I feel since the story aspect gets a little lost on me (the NPCs that trap you is such a WA1E move I love it) but the puzzles are pretty great, particularly the spring .wlv. Chompers are suffering.

8. Colour Coded for Your Convenience, by Wonderman109 — Oh my god. This is like the final boss of puzzles, and the discrete math of puzzles while at it. I had to resort to Jutomi's solution because I suck. Chaotic but kinda brilliant. Why am I thinking of Professor Fizzwizzle?

9. Dual Solution 1, by Wonderman109 — This one is pretty cool, I appreciate the usage of the opening tutorial to show the transporter-collision technique even if it was to the side of this level. Gatefragging the chompers is an alright technique though the timing can be a bit Eh... to pull off. A nice one nevertheless.

10. 3D Rainbow Maze, by Joseppey — This one is really nice! Effectively a demonstration for the 3D command and a clever maze. Not much to say here but Yay!!!!

11. The Sunrain Ship, by Wonderman109 — I like this one. Building a level around a giant object is pretty fun (although not part of the contest I really enjoyed Ant Among Giants-- similar usage of large-scaled objects as platforms) and the ship is a creative choice. The ship though gives way to level brevity and the pride usage is as oblique as it can get, but it's still a cute albeit short level.

12. Dual Solution 2, by Wondernab109 — Hard version? Lol. Most of my thoughts from #1 carry over here except for the lack of chompers, but the gate timing at the end is pretty nice. Not much else to say for this one, sorry.

—————

x. (searching), by Sammy_P — Not gonna rate this one LOL. Thanks to everyone who has enjoyed it so far. Yeah I should have given the Spy-Eye early and the intro is oblique but AESTHETICS!!! Also for the record the Pop/Grow puzzle is supposed to have like 10 different solutions. The tiling took too much work to bother making a good puzzle out of it. See you all in the more-mediocre sequel. I doubt he checks the WA forums but massive shoutouts to Mark and his RTW levels which have been a great inspiration over the years, especially with the heavy misdirection, the Amadeus! and Brentnor levels, and whatnot, since this did fuel a lot of the design here.

xx. The Silly Father, by MyNameIsKooy — Dez
Last edited by Sammy_P on Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:11 pm

i only got to play a couple levels but i played (searching) and Pocket Magic and i like both of them but i liked (searching) more
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:09 pm

Voting has closed! Please wait while I make the announcement :D

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:26 pm

Wow! I was not expecting this level of voter participation!!! :shock: Thank you all so much for participating! :mrgreen:

So, wow! A lot of interesting votes, and a lot of patterns I was not quite expecting! I'll note that all votes are viewable in this very thread - nothing dm'd or delivered to me through other means! I have recounted this three times, and I can confirm that these are the final results.

For those of you who may be curious how the final points were calculated, I refer you to the voting phase announcement post. But to boil it down:
- Everyone's votes were counted from lowest to highest, with the entry with the lowest rank getting 0 points and the entry with the highest rank getting the most points.
- For everyone who didn't vote on an entry (and InvisibleWater who voted for about 8), all unvoted entries were given the same amount of points as the median. If the median was between two ranks, the lower rank was chosen.
- For Ash and StinkerSquad109 (Minimus), all non-ranked entries got 0 points, and the listed 4 and 2 (respectively) got 1-4 and 1-2 points.
- For ties (I was the only one ironically enough lol), both were ranked the same (in my case, 0).

Alright. Enough chatter about the calculations. On with the results:

1. (searching) by Samuel (76 points)
1. Pocket Magic by Jutomi (76 points)
3. Special Diversity Sequence by Nobody (69 points)
4. -1 by Nasko (64 points)
5. Rainbow Treat by Garirry (53 points)
6. 3D Rainbow Maze by Joseppy (44 points)
7. Desert Bifrost by Jutomi (40 points) [thank you samuel xd]
8. The ****** Father by MNIK (38 points)
9. On the Edge of the Rainbow by Wonderman109 (35 points)
10. Colour Coded for Your Convenience by Wonderman109 (31 points)
11. Dual Solution by Wonderman109 (19 points)
12. The Sunrain Ship by Wonderman109 (17 points)
13. Dual Solution 2 by Wonderman109 (13 points)
*14. Atomic Submarine by Ab-47 (11 points)

Alright. So the lowest-ranked entry still got double-digits, and it doesn't even exist! So congratulations, Ash. :lol:

As for the winners? Well, considering how poorly I ranked my own (and I stand by that vote), it somehow ended up being a tie for first place between Samuel and myself, with 3rd place going to Goorab, 4th to Nasko, and 5th to Garirry.

But when all is said and done, I'm just floored that we had this many adventures and voters! The activity is the real prize here- "WE WANT REAL PRIZES" well too bad you're not getting any *gets hit by a tomato cannonball*

Seriously though, thank you all so much for playing. It was a treat playing all of these adventures, and a joy to see all of your comments. Hope to see more from you all soon :mrgreen:

ILoveWonderland
Rainbow Master

Re: The Proud Wonderlander Contest [CONCLUDED!]

Post by ILoveWonderland » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:04 am

Congratulations to both Samuel and Jutomi for their well-deserved wins! :D And thank you to everyone else who submitted their entries and/or voted especially those who ranked my entry highly. :hippo:
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Re: The Proud Wonderlander Contest [CONCLUDED!]

Post by nasko222 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:14 am

another well done contest, congratulations on the winners and uh.. see you in the next jutomi contest, i see they keep wonderland active