New Level - Colorful Waters [UPDATED]

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
tails the fox
Rainbow Master

New Level - Colorful Waters [UPDATED]

Post by tails the fox » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:24 am

Welcome to Colorful Waters, a single level adventure that takes place amongst a tranquil coral reef.

The second of my modern adventures, this one might be more or less interesting than Passage of Time -- if not a bit tight at times with timing, sorry! (there are no bridge chains, don't worry)

Other than the power of OpenWA's brand new CMD 80, there are no real tricks or gimmicks to this level, simply collect every gem and see if you can find every coin -- and above all else, soak in the vibes. It isn't object deco-heavy but I like to think the level itself does a decent enough job of setting the mood on it's own, along with the music that Cookie's Music Pack so wonderfully provides.

You'll need OpenWA v10.4.1 or higher, this level relies on CMD 80 to look correct. (It will not break the level, but things will look very strange!) You'll also need two custom textures which are included below, as well as Cookie's Music Pack!

this adventure was re-uploaded as I forgot to remove two debug testing elements, sorry about that!

There are also a few secret endings hidden in the level. Can you find them all?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tails the fox on Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:02 am, edited 14 times in total.
tails the fox
Rainbow Master

Re: New Level - Colorful Waters

Post by tails the fox » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:42 am

Official solution here! Along with a little extra... make sure to do your reading, folks.

EDIT: Now outdated, somewhat, as of now.
Last edited by tails the fox on Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ab-47
Rainbow Star

Post by ab-47 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:35 pm

Stellar scenery and fun use of the multilayering feature. Unfortunately, I didn't use almost any of the elements and just blinked around the level, I ended up getting GOLD at the end, last bonuses were the coin bottom-left and the nearby gem. :P

I believe the issue with having a really big puzzle is the liability of breaking it with many alternative solutions, if becomes difficult to keep track of elements for when and where they should be used. Generally speaking, I do not mind alternative solutions as long as the implementation was close to the original playthrough or just as impressive, even if a few elements were spared. Solutions that ultimately allow the player to cheese the whole puzzle is an issue because it becomes tough to try and figure out what the actual solution was.

I think this would have been a fantastic puzzle, but it definitely required a lot of revision, along with narrowing the possibilities of having counterintuitive solutions. Thank you for making this nonetheless, keep 'em coming! 8)
LEVEL LIS1
The Hidd3n Archive, Part Four: [36%, In Progress]
The Hidden 4rchive, Part Three (Redeemer's Edition)
The Apocollab [0%, Confirmed, Planning]
Are Cookie and Ash Gay? [Cancelled]
tails the fox
Rainbow Master

Post by tails the fox » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:16 am

ab-47 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:35 pm
Stellar scenery and fun use of the multilayering feature. Unfortunately, I didn't use almost any of the elements and just blinked around the level, I ended up getting GOLD at the end, last bonuses were the coin bottom-left and the nearby gem. :P

I believe the issue with having a really big puzzle is the liability of breaking it with many alternative solutions, if becomes difficult to keep track of elements for when and where they should be used. Generally speaking, I do not mind alternative solutions as long as the implementation was close to the original playthrough or just as impressive, even if a few elements were spared. Solutions that ultimately allow the player to cheese the whole puzzle is an issue because it becomes tough to try and figure out what the actual solution was.

I think this would have been a fantastic puzzle, but it definitely required a lot of revision, along with narrowing the possibilities of having counterintuitive solutions. Thank you for making this nonetheless, keep 'em coming! 8)
This actually has me very curious for, say, Jutomi's solutions (if/when they ever get around to it)

as I tried to prevent that with certain things requiring you to beat one side first, but I must have missed one/multiple steps. Oh well, I could potentially patch that but I'm not sure it will actually fix the ability to break the level. Now I want to see how badly the level can be broken..

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it!
tails the fox
Rainbow Master

Re: New Level - Colorful Waters [UPDATED]

Post by tails the fox » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:03 am

UPDATED THE ADVENTURE:

With this patch (hotfix? update?) I fixed the infinite blink exploit, streamlined how the user gets their flash charges at the start, added player-considerate things like the red transporter and yellow transporter being visible at the start so that you don't need to use a spy-eye to see them.

Added more gems, general stuff like that. Enjoy.