Bugs & Problems with new Open Source Editor

The Wonderland Open Source Project

Moderators: ILoveWonderland, Sammy_P, Lazy Loof

MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Regarding Null Magic Chargers: Issues Caused by New Changes

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Tue May 21, 2019 8:33 pm

Null magic was recently modified to only have an effect when your gloves are charged with magic. This breaks any old puzzles involving null faint magic chargers. One such puzzle is depicted in the attached image.

The puzzle involves clearing out the null magic chargers ahead of time so you can carry other magic through the area, but this is no longer possible in the current builds of the player due to the new functionality of null magic chargers -- you can no longer pick up the faint null chargers when you have uncharged gloves.

Additionally, null magic spellballs are still useful in the sense that their color can be modified via CMD 4 while they're flying through the air. This is a concept which I have used in the past to make a certain other puzzle. With the new null magic functionality, the player cannot cast null spellballs.

Hence, for the sake of not breaking old adventures, I propose that null magic chargers should be reverted to their original functionality. Additionally, if people still desire the new functionality for null magic chargers, we could add a new gameplay element separate from null magic chargers that drains the player's magic.

I think the development happening among the community is great, but I also think it is important to preserve the functionality of existing gameplay elements, since small changes can have long-reaching consequences.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Re: Regarding Null Magic Chargers: Issues Caused by New Changes

Post by Lazy Loof » Wed May 22, 2019 4:19 am

MyNameIsKooky wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:33 pm
Hence, for the sake of not breaking old adventures, I propose that null magic chargers should be reverted to their original functionality. Additionally, if people still desire the new functionality for null magic chargers, we could add a new gameplay element separate from null magic chargers that drains the player's magic.
Your issue seems reasonable to me, I too had that problem when I added all the adventures of archive to WonderPlus mod so everything will be running right. However, due to your adventure BEDTIME WITH MORKLIN it went out that old adventures were not compatible with this mod.

Since Null Magic is a WonderPlus feature, it went on to the new versions of player without noticing that adventure. This is partially my fault too since I knew that problem beforehand... I am really sorry for the inconvenience! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Okay, so now the possible solutions that I can suggest of are:
-it is possible to identify the old adventures since the new level files created using the new versions of player have additional settings at the end. So if an adventure is identified as an old adventure then it would revert to the original Null magic functionality. Null Magic is still best for draining player's current magic.
-we can also add a data value to the faint glovecharge stating it would use original Null Magic functionality or the new one (with the default being the new one)

What do you think of these solutions?

EDIT: I have attached the fixed wg.exe for you and others... now new adventures have data4 of glove charge set to 1 which means that they'll be using the new Null Magic feature whereas the old adventures have data4 set to 0 so Null Magic will use its original functionality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previously known as Aryan101
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Re: Regarding Null Magic Chargers: Issues Caused by New Changes

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm

Aryan wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:19 am
EDIT: I have attached the fixed wg.exe for you and others... now new adventures have data4 of glove charge set to 1 which means that they'll be using the new Null Magic feature whereas the old adventures have data4 set to 0 so Null Magic will use its original functionality.
This is perfect, and you delivered so quickly too! Thank you very much! :D
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Bugs Introduced by Open Source

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed May 22, 2019 8:51 pm

On the latest build, Zapbots, UFOs, and FireFlowers no longer make the "magic shooting" noise when they fire spells. It feels really weird to me.

I have a suspicion that this bug may be related to the Blink Barrels update, since I can't think of any other reason to modify the spell sound routine.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Re: Bugs Introduced by Open Source

Post by Lazy Loof » Thu May 23, 2019 3:39 am

MyNameIsKooky wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:51 pm
On the latest build, Zapbots, UFOs, and FireFlowers no longer make the "magic shooting" noise when they fire spells. It feels really weird to me.

I have a suspicion that this bug may be related to the Blink Barrels update, since I can't think of any other reason to modify the spell sound routine.
No it's due to prisms... Spellballs from prisms have their goalx and goaly set to -1. But surprisingly, spellballs from zapbots, ufos and fireflowers too have goalx and goaly set to -1. There is a check in the CreateSpellball() which disables sounds for spellball if goalx is -1.

EDIT: The bug is fixed. BTW anyone noticed that editor shows "Wonderland Adventured Editor".
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Re: Bugs & Problems with new Open Source Editor

Post by HumanGamer » Sat May 25, 2019 6:02 pm

Yea, I see how this is a problem. I never anticipated that there would be any levels that would use functionality like this when I changed null-magic.

Since there aren't too many W+ levels. We should make null magic work as it used to (be unobtainable in the editor unless you hold shift when clicking the colour/spell number or something) and add a new element that does this and manually edit the W+ levels to use the new element.

How does that sound?
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

I was previously known as cooldudepoke.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat May 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Having a new element sounds good to me. I do know that several others in this community share the opinion that magic draining should be a separate feature from null magic.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun May 26, 2019 12:37 am

I echo MNIK's sentiments. The Mysterious Duck 2 has a really cool puzzle with null chargers (both normal and faint) that displays their potential for puzzle design. I'd hate to seem them gone.

Anti-magic is cool as heck, but should be its own element, I think.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Sun May 26, 2019 4:32 am

Ok, with many people requesting that, new functionality of Null Magic will be COMPLETELY removed from the editor, and instead a new element will be added.

Here are my ideas for this new element:
Currently I am giving the name to this as GloveDischarge. It will be a magic drainer but it will drain the magics differently than Null Magic...
The glovedischarge will look like a glove charge but its particles will accelerate downwards (instead of upwards as an usual glovecharge). It would be available different colours (red, orange etc) for draining specific magic for e.g Floing discharge will remove only Floing magic, Pow discharge will remove only Pow magic and so on. White discharge would remove ANY magic, smilier to Null Magic charger used currently.
Muzozavr wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:37 am
I echo MNIK's sentiments. The Mysterious Duck 2 has a really cool puzzle with null chargers (both normal and faint) that displays their potential for puzzle design. I'd hate to seem them gone.
A small fix is available above as a download so you can use it to play those until v3.05 is released. :P
(it also has a glovecharge wop, please don't install it)