V2.88 - Stories in the Custom Level database

Moderators: Stinky, David

David
Gold Wonderlander

V2.88 - Stories in the Custom Level database

Post by David » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:41 pm

I just published V2.88 adding support for stories in the Custom Level database. There is a new "Export a Story" entry on the Level Editor Save menu allowing players to export stories either to a .loof file or to the database. There are now 24 entries in the database, including two stories - InvisibleWater's Miniature Levels and Jutomi's Jut's Jumps.

Though I expect the database to grow, two dozen is enough for the initial release. The next build will be V3.0 and the final release candidate. Unless something unexpected comes up, I'm planning to make this build and submit it to Steam for release one week from today!
starplatinum

Re: V2.88 - Stories in the Custom Level database

Post by starplatinum » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:31 pm

I see the beta is not accepting new users and I've been waiting to play this game, how long till it is available on steam?
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:25 pm

starplatinum wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:31 pm
I see the beta is not accepting new users and I've been waiting to play this game, how long till it is available on steam?
You could get the original games right now if you wanted: https://midnightsynergy.com/games.htm

Compared to the Steam version, the original games run better, look better, are much less buggy, and they don't break 2 decades of compatibility with custom levels.
starplatinum

Post by starplatinum » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:51 pm

is the performance that bad? my laptop specs aren't any fancy just a 1650 in it. But I would not expect 20 year old game to have any issue. Besides I want it on steam so I have it digitally available anytime and for an affordable regional price according to my country.
David
Gold Wonderlander

Post by David » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:20 pm

The Steam game will submitted to Steam next week and should be generally available in early October. It'll be released to mobile at the same time, and the Login with Steam feature allows players to sync their Steam and mobile games.

The Steam version runs almost all custom levels. However, there are custom levels that exploit glitches, bugs, and undocumented features in the original game. Since the Steam game is 100% new code, it doesn't automatically reproduce original game glitches. Some of these, such as box stacking and meta Stinkers are already supported in the new game. I'll add others as they're brought to my attention, with a goal of 100% support.

Meanwhile, this version will bring the game to a whole new generation of players. The original game was a tremendous achievement, with so many people still passionate about it twenty-five years after its release. The new game is localized into four languages, including Chinese, and is or will shortly, be available on iOS, Android, and Steam for the PC, Mac, and Linux, including Steam Deck. Hopefully, we'll see this community greatly expand, which should be great for the game. And that's something we can all agree is a good thing.