I Wanna Be The Guy: hilariously hard game

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

I Wanna Be The Guy: hilariously hard game

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:06 am

http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/downloads.php

Hilariously unfair traps and pixel-precise jumps are the homage to most frustrating bits of old 8-bit games. Everything in this game is trying to kill you. Even apples. And at one point? They drop THE MOON on you.
Don't even try playing on anything above Medium. (the lowest difficulty setting) I'm playing on Medium and have yet to beat the moving spike corridor, when they speed up.
In Medium it does reach playable, though. And trust this: this game is better played unspoiled. A lot of frustration is alleviated by sheer unexpectedness of the traps. I've never laughed as much as when the moon dropped onto me.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Re: I Wanna Be The Guy: hilariously hard game

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:54 pm

Muzozavr wrote:http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/downloads.php

Hilariously unfair traps and pixel-precise jumps are the homage to most frustrating bits of old 8-bit games. Everything in this game is trying to kill you. Even apples. And at one point? They drop THE MOON on you.
Don't even try playing on anything above Medium. (the lowest difficulty setting) I'm playing on Medium and have yet to beat the moving spike corridor, when they speed up.
In Medium it does reach playable, though. And trust this: this game is better played unspoiled. A lot of frustration is alleviated by sheer unexpectedness of the traps. I've never laughed as much as when the moon dropped onto me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was playing this while on Skype a while ago... Good times.

Not, I was probably borderline swearing my head off. :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:09 pm

Tell me what: did you beat Mecha Birdo?
Right now I can get to it's second phase, where it goes all like "IMA FIRIN MAH LASER". Just can't clear the second jump. Looking at the pattern everything seems possible except that jump.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Muzozavr wrote:Tell me what: did you beat Mecha Birdo?
Right now I can get to it's second phase, where it goes all like "IMA FIRIN MAH LASER". Just can't clear the second jump. Looking at the pattern everything seems possible except that jump.
Mecha Birdo?

Hell, I can't even beat Mike Tyson :lol: :lol: :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:24 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Hell, I can't even beat Mike Tyson :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wimp! :twisted: :lol: Just kidding, it can be hard if you don't get the pattern. But let me assure you, there are much more difficult places in the game.
And also, press "S" to skip the huge cutscene.

He has three phases, at the first phase you just go all the way to the right, after his second attack go all the way to the left, and when he opens his mouth, just keep shooting to knock him out.

At the second phase, at first STAY all the way at the left, but as soon as he attacks, go all the way to the right, and when he opens his mouth, keep shooting.

The last phase is the hardest, as there's no "easy" pattern, you first go all the way to the left, and right before he attacks, jump between his fists. Go to the other door, wait for him, jump between fists. He goes offscreen.
When he returns, just keep hugging doors and jumping between fists, until he opens the mouth. Shoot him THEN and he's knocked out for good. TKO FTW.
Then at the next screen, grab the orb, and RETURN TO THE SAVEPOINT to save.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:38 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:Hell, I can't even beat Mike Tyson :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wimp! :twisted: :lol: Just kidding, it can be hard if you don't get the pattern. But let me assure you, there are much more difficult places in the game.
And also, press "S" to skip the huge cutscene.

He has three phases, at the first phase you just go all the way to the right, after his second attack go all the way to the left, and when he opens his mouth, just keep shooting to knock him out.

At the second phase, at first STAY all the way at the left, but as soon as he attacks, go all the way to the right, and when he opens his mouth, keep shooting.

The last phase is the hardest, as there's no "easy" pattern, you first go all the way to the left, and right before he attacks, jump between his fists. Go to the other door, wait for him, jump between fists. He goes offscreen.
When he returns, just keep hugging doors and jumping between fists, until he opens the mouth. Shoot him THEN and he's knocked out for good. TKO FTW.
Then at the next screen, grab the orb, and RETURN TO THE SAVEPOINT to save.
The only problem I'm having now is the third phase... The other 2 I can do without any trouble (Usually).
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:49 pm

Yep, it's much harder than the previous two phases. Just keep trying, since now you know what to do.

My main problem with that phase was that I didn't know what would come up next and it literally seemed like he follows you and just punches you no matter what. When I found out how to dodge one of the punches, it wasn't THAT hard anymore... still hard though.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:28 pm

Woot, made it a lot further... But now I'm having trouble around here; even though I know how to do it. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:58 pm

GRAARGH OH MY GOD DON'T EVEN ASK!
Ridiculously hard. Subpixel precision drawn out to unreasonability.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:24 pm

Muzozavr wrote:GRAARGH OH MY GOD DON'T EVEN ASK!
Ridiculously hard. Subpixel precision drawn out to unreasonability.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:38 am

Double Post + Bump but whatever

I can get to Mecha Birdo's 3rd phase, mainly you need to jump from the edge of the platform at the top of the egg, the 3rd phase is just as fast (Dunno what to shoot), except the red bits on the eggs are deadly.

I swore when I died at this point (Bad keyboard)
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:20 am

Same thing here. If you believe the forums, you must somehow shoot it's mouth when it tries to spit an egg. How to do THAT I have no idea! :lol:
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:56 pm

Hey! This sounds simalar to Super Mario Bros 2! Try Jumping on top of a egg and pick it up, (hold it or whatever) then throw it at the boss or whatever your battling. It might take 3 hits to defeat it. On Super Mario Bros. 2, the boss is the Bird-like thing called Birdetta. If your in the late levels of the game, it might shoot fireballs. If it shoots fireballs, pick up something from your suroundings and throw it at the boss.

I think you throw the egg at its mouth when its open.

Let me know if any of this works!
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:09 pm

jdl, have you actually got there in IWBTG? Do your research before posting tips. You can't pick up the eggs in IWBTG. You can only jump on them.
bround
Rainbow Master

Post by bround » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:11 pm

Stop that the chat in this topic to Qloof and Author!!
Avid TTR player and TTS developer, a new revolutionary server in works.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:46 pm

I didn't download it. I just thought of that idea when I read this topic. :wink: :lol:
ImageImage
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:28 pm

bround wrote:Stop that the chat in this topic to Qloof and Author!!
What?

Also, on the topic of beating Mecha Birdo (IWBTG), just shoot its eyes. That's what did the trick for me and got me to the third phase.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:16 am

Qloof234 wrote:
bround wrote:Stop that the chat in this topic to Qloof and Author!!
What?

Also, on the topic of beating Mecha Birdo (IWBTG), just shoot its eyes. That's what did the trick for me and got me to the third phase.
LOL nice react.

On-topic:I don't even know how to get to another place.LOL
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:28 pm

Muzo, can you help me? :lol: I am trying out the demo and have gotten to the Legend of Zelda part. I get where you try to go, but its blocked off by the demo sign. Where do I go now??? :? :?:

BTW, the moon part was hilarious!!! I was about to take a drink when it happened. Good thing I didn't lol... :lol:
ImageImage
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:44 pm

Replay it on the full version. No, seriously, I don't remember if the demo save files worked on the full version.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:01 pm

It works fine with the saves and all... I finally got past Link and the moving spikes. And of course Link was acting like a jerk... :lol: :roll:

A thing used to happen with the game. It used to keep crashing but I fixed it. Just use Windows 98/ME Compatibility when you right-click on the .exe file and it works fine!!! :D
ImageImage
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:17 pm

Wow, I just looved the graveyard... :roll:
Anyway, Mecha Birdo is hard!!! I can't even get to the third phase! What do I shoot on the second phase?

BTW, I heard that there are "secret items" in this game. Anyone know anything about them? :?
ImageImage
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:48 am

Mecha Birdo's phase 1: shoot the antenna. Phase 2: shoot the eyes. Phase 3: shoot the mouth when it tries to drop an egg.

The problem is actually doing that. I gave up. Looong ago.
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:39 am

OMG, how do you even start the game? :lol: :roll: :?
I've found out that "a" takes you to a weird save screen, but you have to use the freakin keyboard for everything, and they don't even tell you what to do!?! Muzo, how do you work all of it out? The "How-to-Play" on the website doesn't even help.

Yes, I got to the first screen. Looked like a pretty nice start. :D But, OUCH! !@#$!@$%!#% :shock: :lol: :lol:
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:11 am

Press "SHIFT" to start the normal save screen, start the game, or to jump when in-game.
Press "Z" to shoot.
Use arrow keys to move.
Standard fare of indie games pretty much. It's not the controls that kill you, it's the sudden trap at the end of the screen. :P :lol:
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:05 pm

I use the spacebar to jump instead of shift. :wink:
ImageImage
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:12 pm

jdl wrote:I use the spacebar to jump instead of shift. :wink:
How do you do that? :?

Muzo, I figured that out yesterday. Don't forget Z!

I'm still only in the first two screens. That second room... so horrible. :twisted:
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
ben-09
Rainbow Master

Post by ben-09 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:38 pm

I can even get past the first screen!

can someone help me?
Generation 59: Community experiment. The first time you see this, take the generation # and add 1. Put in your signature.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:08 am

Mqdar, go to File>Controls>Click on the first X on the keyboard row, and change Shift to the Spacebar. :D
ImageImage
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:56 am

Which second room, Darshan? There are four paths at the start you can take... though one is just a shortcut, so three unique paths. You need them all eventually. :lol: