Lyglo the Triangle (Updates Topic)

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:10 am

T-P, but Demo 3.5 has been thoroughly tested and is now ready to download.

Updates:

- Levels in World 1 have been moved around so that the two shorter levels come first.
- World 2 Level 2 and 3 have switched places due to length/difficulty
- Added an Elevator gimmick to World 2 Level 3
- Falling bricks in World 2 Level 2
- Alternate music to World 2 (Click)

Still to be done:

- Hub music for World 2

- Level 4 and 5 of World 2

- Wall jump

- Ceiling collisions (I have an idea for this now... :wink: )

Enjoy!
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:45 am

I finished this one.
The rainbow blocks are AWESOME! :D And the way you used them in Level 2 was genius!

But you didn't lengthen the gap that was annoying me the first time around on the now called Level 3.
I mean the one at the start of the level, with the ladder and the ceiling. You have to press the jump button a few times on the ladder until you get in a position that you can just walk off the ladder, fly over the hole, and get to the next part.
dlcs18
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:51 am

Oh, you mean the part before the red and blue laser drop?

I thought you meant that bit with jumping over the spikes. I'll be sure yo update that ladder part for Demo 4. :wink:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:47 am

Cool! 8)

Although I'm still seeing the flickering with the castle walls on 1-5, but now it only happens when you're moving vertically. I'm not really sure what else you could do to make it not flicker, so maybe we'll leave this one alone for now.

I also managed to once in a while (like maybe 1 out of 20 times or so) to get on the falling blocks in 2-2 without actually making them fall. I think it happens when I try to jump directly onto them without landing first on the gray platform left of them, but again, it doesn't happen consistently. It's not a big deal since I can just move off to the left and move back onto them and they'll fall.

As for the new world 2 music, it's fine, but maybe a little too cheerful. :wink: So maybe doesn't quite fit world 2. I'm more leaning towards the level 2-1 music.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:55 am

cbloopy wrote:Cool! 8)

Although I'm still seeing the flickering with the castle walls on 1-5, but now it only happens when you're moving vertically. I'm not really sure what else you could do to make it not flicker, so maybe we'll leave this one alone for now.
Hmmm... I'm not exactly sure why it's flickering now. Maybe just leave it as is for a bit of NES Nostalgia (Super Mario Bros. Castles) :wink:
cbloopy wrote:I also managed to once in a while (like maybe 1 out of 20 times or so) to get on the falling blocks in 2-2 without actually making them fall. I think it happens when I try to jump directly onto them without landing first on the gray platform left of them, but again, it doesn't happen consistently. It's not a big deal since I can just move off to the left and move back onto them and they'll fall.
I'm not quite sure why this happens myself... Perhaps contructing a drop-down ceiling blocking the player from jumping directly onto the blocks will work.
cbloopy wrote:As for the new world 2 music, it's fine, but maybe a little too cheerful. :wink: So maybe doesn't quite fit world 2. I'm more leaning towards the level 2-1 music.
I guess it's a bit too... "jazzy" for the levels... Maybe it could work on the hub? Who knows, I'm at a loss for hub music so I might end up using this provided it fits with the hub. :wink:
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:20 pm

I just finished demo 3.5! :D

When I reached the "level" that resets the game, I was like "Noooo!!! That can't be it already!!!" :lol:

Anyway, this is a great demo. I like that laser gate idea in the world 2 hub!

I am having trouble with the same area as dlcs18. And that one part in the castle where you have to go up a staircase-like corridor is EXTREMELY hard because of the "touch a wall or ceiling and stop moving" thing. It's a really hard level because you don't know where the lava is. Maybe a rising lava meter would help. Actually, I don't know how that would work really......

BTW, in the finished game, will you add a save prompt (Continue and save? Continue, don't save?) after you complete the castles like in SMW with the castles and ghost houses?
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:58 am

jdl wrote:And that one part in the castle where you have to go up a staircase-like corridor is EXTREMELY hard because of the "touch a wall or ceiling and stop moving" thing. It's a really hard level because you don't know where the lava is. Maybe a rising lava meter would help. Actually, I don't know how that would work really......
Funny, I was actually tempted to complain that it's too easy to get ahead of the lava! :lol: When I play that level, most of the time I never even see the lava. At one point I was actually tempted to suggest to QLoof234 to make the lava speed accelerate when you are more than a certain vertical distance away from it. :!: :wink:

I know what you mean about the staircase though. It can be a little annoying to get through; however, with a little bit of practice, you can get at least one or two of your jumps to go over several steps at once, instead of merely hitting your head on the ceiling and end up only one step up.
BTW, in the finished game, will you add a save prompt (Continue and save? Continue, don't save?) after you complete the castles like in SMW with the castles and ghost houses?
Well first Qloof234 will have to program in the ability to save games. By which I assume you mean you can exit the game and run it again, and have the game remember which levels you've completed the last time.

Another nice to have is if the game can remember the customizations I made to the keyboard controls. I assign "Z" instead of "Shift" for the jump button (button 1), because on my computer if I press Shift multiple times quickly enough, a useless prompt (not from the game) comes up. Right now as soon as you start a new game, the game promptly forgets the changes you make to key-button assignments and reverts back to the default.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:26 am

cbloopy wrote:
jdl wrote:And that one part in the castle where you have to go up a staircase-like corridor is EXTREMELY hard because of the "touch a wall or ceiling and stop moving" thing. It's a really hard level because you don't know where the lava is. Maybe a rising lava meter would help. Actually, I don't know how that would work really......
Funny, I was actually tempted to complain that it's too easy to get ahead of the lava! :lol: When I play that level, most of the time I never even see the lava. At one point I was actually tempted to suggest to QLoof234 to make the lava speed accelerate when you are more than a certain vertical distance away from it. :!: :wink:

I know what you mean about the staircase though. It can be a little annoying to get through; however, with a little bit of practice, you can get at least one or two of your jumps to go over several steps at once, instead of merely hitting your head on the ceiling and end up only one step up.
Hmmm... Well, if I were to speed the lava up a tiny bit and hollow out the stairs so Lyglo doesn't get caught on the ceiling, would that work?

Yeah, this ceiling stick problem seems to be my worst enemy of programming at the moment. :lol:
cbloopy wrote:
Well first Qloof234 will have to program in the ability to save games. By which I assume you mean you can exit the game and run it again, and have the game remember which levels you've completed the last time.

Another nice to have is if the game can remember the customizations I made to the keyboard controls. I assign "Z" instead of "Shift" for the jump button (button 1), because on my computer if I press Shift multiple times quickly enough, a useless prompt (not from the game) comes up. Right now as soon as you start a new game, the game promptly forgets the changes you make to key-button assignments and reverts back to the default.
Alright. For the saving feature, I've managed to put in a working system like this on the hub using .ini files - Upon pressing S, the game will write the player's hub level to the .ini file, and if the player press L then the game loads that value and teleports the player to that frame. I haven't put in an interface for this yet, but I do plan on something like that.

As for the game remembering controls... I might be able to do that using .ini files, but I'm not really sure.

For updates, I don't have any new pictures yet (2 in the morning with a friend and a aerosol can of deodorant... Blech :roll: ), but World 2's castle is finished and now the bosses have their own song that plays during the battle. (That includes World 1 - when the player is teleported outside of the boss chamber, the normal music stops and this theme starts.)

Comments?
orza6006
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by orza6006 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:19 pm

I love this game, particularly the way you used the rainbow blocks in World 2-2 and the auto scrolling lava in 1-5.

I have a few questions:
1) How many worlds will you make?
2) Will there be 5 levels in each world, or more in later worlds?
3) Will you include any more fire flowers?

Also, I found a glitch at the end of World 2-3 at the elevator. If you step off just before the moment you can get spiked, you vanish.

Great game. Keep it going!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:58 pm

orza6006 wrote:I love this game, particularly the way you used the rainbow blocks in World 2-2 and the auto scrolling lava in 1-5.
Thanks! :D
orza6006 wrote:I have a few questions:
1) How many worlds will you make?
2) Will there be 5 levels in each world, or more in later worlds?
3) Will you include any more fire flowers?
1) Well, I've already got about 4 separate tilesets including the two worlds in game already... I'm aiming for at least 5.

2) I'm planning on having 5 default levels in each world, then a few secret levels in each world.

3) Yes, there are going to be more Fire Flowers in game - however, right now they haven't been put in because I'm still trying to fix some kinks in the games coding regarding the Fire Flowers.
orza6006 wrote:Also, I found a glitch at the end of World 2-3 at the elevator. If you step off just before the moment you can get spiked, you vanish.
This is something that's had me going bonkers for a while about the elevator system - for some reason, Lyglo will sometimes "bounce" up, above the platform, or in the most extreme cases, on the roof of the elevator or above the level. No idea why this happens.

orza6006 wrote:Great game. Keep it going!
Once again, thanks! :D
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:33 am

D-P

Yeah.

Only problem - it pops up at the start of each hub level, even when the level is loaded.

Why? Because I haven't programmed it in to dissapear after loading. All three options work perfectly fine though. :wink:
stinky2
Rainbow Keeper

Post by stinky2 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:02 pm

Demo3.5 is awesome! :D
Too busy with EHM2007
My record:
Atlanta Thrashers: 1 Stanley cup (4 seasons)
Detroit Red Wings: 4 Stanley cups (8 seasons)
Dallas Stars: 1 Stanley cup (2nd season in progress)
stinky2
Rainbow Keeper

Post by stinky2 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:04 pm

Demo3.5 is awesome! :D
Too busy with EHM2007
My record:
Atlanta Thrashers: 1 Stanley cup (4 seasons)
Detroit Red Wings: 4 Stanley cups (8 seasons)
Dallas Stars: 1 Stanley cup (2nd season in progress)
mindstream
Silver Wonderlander

Post by mindstream » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:21 am

Hi Qloof234, I have played Lyglo Demo 3.0, and
and downloaded version 3.5, and this game so far is amazing,
I like the interfaces, the menu, the music, though it has been occasionally
difficult for me to play some parts.

It reminds me of that FlatLand movie I saw. :D

I'm left wondering how in the world you did it.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:05 am

mindstream wrote:
Hi Qloof234, I have played Lyglo Demo 3.0, and
and downloaded version 3.5, and this game so far is amazing,
I like the interfaces, the menu, the music, though it has been occasionally
difficult for me to play some parts.
Thanks! I'm doing my best to sort the levels in each world by difficulty for Demo 4. :wink:
mindstream wrote: It reminds me of that FlatLand movie I saw. :D
I've heard of that movie and the book before. Never read it or seen the movie, though.
mindstream wrote: I'm left wondering how in the world you did it.
The program I use for the game is Multimedia Fusion Developer 2. The price is insanely high, but personally I think it's very useful if you know what you're doing with it. :wink:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 pm

D-P

Alright, tomorrow morning I'm going to be going camping for the next two weeks, and unfortunately I won't have access to the internet via my computer.

However, I have Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer and the Lyglo file on my mom's laptop, so I'll be able to work on it while I'm camping.

Also, I might be able to get onto the internet via my DSi (built in web-browser), and if I can, I'll be able to post updates. However, I won't be able to post any pictures or a download link.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:35 pm

Aww. :(

See you again in 2 weeks! :D
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:07 pm

level 2 in world 1 is impossible to complete
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:26 pm

No it isn't.

Just because you can't pass it doesn't make it impossible.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:42 pm

DEEMAN223344 wrote:level 2 in world 1 is impossible to complete
It isn't, cause I've completed it a few times. :P
If you tell/show me where you are stuck I might be able to help you complete the level. :!:
dlcs18
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:54 pm

where there are alot of blocks and you loose a power and get it back, there is a pit, bit it is too long to jump.
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:13 pm

deleted
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:49 pm

Well... all the advice I can give you is to keep trying. If you managed to get across the first long gap, then you can get past the second one. :wink:
dlcs18
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:55 pm

DEEMAN223344 wrote:where there are alot of blocks and you loose a power and get it back, there is a pit, bit it is too long to jump.
Sorry if this is obvious, but you need to be walking at full speed while making the jump. If you just try to jump across the gap from standing still it won't work because you haven't built up enough forward momentum.
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:18 am

I don't see how to complete that level where you first see the rainbow blocks (cbloopy posted a screenshot of it above). Those electric floors never turn on, and I can't reach the ground on the second fall. :?
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:48 pm

mqdar wrote:I don't see how to complete that level where you first see the rainbow blocks (cbloopy posted a screenshot of it above). Those electric floors never turn on, and I can't reach the ground on the second fall. :?
Electric floors? :?:

Anyway, if the rainbow blocks aren't falling, just move off to the left and then walk onto them again and they'll fall. Make sure you make all of them fall. The idea is that the falling blocks will serve 2 more times as a bridge for you to get across some spikes.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:35 am

Okay, so as it turns out the resort I'm at does have Wi-Fi connection, and I'm typing this from my mom's laptop.

No, I don't know if I'm supposed to be using it or not. :lol:

Either way...

World 1-2; I've added two blocks to the jumping platform so it's easier. I thought that it was more obvious than it seems to have ended up that a running jump was necessary.

World 2-2; I'm not sure why the floors were off... They're always on by default when I'm playing.

Added an on switch so that they're on by default.
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:40 pm

could you also add a switch to turn off the lava in the first castle level? and make the player appear near the level that they die in, not the last completed one.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:14 pm

Hey Qloof234, I just want to say that there comes a point where you'll need to stop listening to all our complains, or else eventually all the levels will get too dumbed down. :| Use your own judgment. :wink:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:16 am

DEEMAN223344 wrote:could you also add a switch to turn off the lava in the first castle level?

No. Why? Because, that takes all the difficulty out of the level.

Why else would the level be so... speed oriented if the lava didn't exist?
DEEMAN223344 wrote:and make the player appear near the level that they die in, not the last completed one.
I would, but .ini files have one value apiece, AFAIK. Also, it would have to save the location that Lyglo would be at if he were beside the level start object, which isn't possible.