Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Three Little Stones - Terni Lapilli Computer Game

Post by Blast!10 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:41 pm

Download from yuvsstuff.net
Download from mediafire.com
Download from willhostforfood.com

Everyone knows today's version of Tic Tac Toe (F.K.A. Noughts and Crosses). Everyone knows that after a short while it can get extremely boring.

Terni Lapilli (translates as Three Little Stones) is an ancient Roman version of Tic Tac Toe. A square is divided into eight triangles as shown below. Three white markers and three black markers are randomly placed on six different intersection points, e.g.

You then move your markers and try to create a line of three. (In the computer version you use drag and drop to move them.) You may ONLY move along lines, which restricts your diagonal movement options to corner-to-center or center-to-corner.

The computer version adds some more options. You can now save a board and load it later, or save an example board to use as a starter board.
If a piece ends up inside another piece, you can right-click the suspected piece(s) to move it/them to the side of the room, then manually put it back in the game. If you right-clicked one piece but two or more pieces are sent aside, your problem is solved.
To quickly reset the position of all pieces, click the Panic Button (button with three exclamation marks).

I made this game in ~3 hours.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:19 pm

My comment is useless. Disregard.

EDIT: My comment before I deleted it in a nutshell: The basic setup is good, but the game lacks any functionality to work as what it's described.
Last edited by dlcs18 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlcs18
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:47 pm

So you move one piece one space each turn?

I just played myself for a little bit and I find the game quite boring. Are there any sort of tricks like in tic-tac-toe?
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:36 pm

I know this game, I play it on paper (with coins as dots and lines made using pencils).
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:11 am

dlcs18 wrote:The basic setup is good, but the game lacks any functionality to work as what it's described.
This, just this.

You can put objects down on the board and the like, but it still lacks a bit of coding.

Cool looking graphics are cool, though. :wink:
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:39 pm

Yes, then I add coding and then you will complain about the game not being customizable. I don't think we're going anywhere. >_<
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:32 pm

Actually, not coding the game in this case is a perfect idea. According to various sources no one knows the real rules for this game. Most sources show the board and some name the number of the playing pieces, but no one names anything else.

The rules given by Blast!10 seem to be similar to Three Men's Morris.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:06 pm

My thoughts exactly. If I would code AI to check whether a move is legal, you would be able to play this version, and ONLY this version of the game. It wouldn't be customizable in any way.
billy bob wrote:with coins
That's actually a very interesting way of playing I've never thought of.
Thanks for the idea! :D
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:36 am

Blast!10 wrote:Yes, then I add coding and then you will complain about the game not being customizable. I don't think we're going anywhere. >_<
I wouldn't. I honestly can't tell what's going on in this simply because there isn't much coding to it.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "only this version". Explain plz?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:03 am

Once again: no one knows the real rules of the game. Even the number of playing pieces varies between sources! :shock:
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:10 pm

There's no point having it being customizable if it doesn't even function.

The point that me and Q are making is that Blast!10 did have the rules and the goal on his first post, and in the game the rules were not enforced and the result of winning was not implemented. (Just a message saying someone won would have been nice.), making the game less interesting since then it's just a bare-bones drag pieces around a board engine.

Sorry if I'm being harsh. :|
dlcs18
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:30 pm

and in the game the rules were not enforced and the result of winning was not implemented.
Since apparently no one notices my post, here is the message yet again, in size 24:

NO! ONE! KNOWS! THE! RULES! HOW THE HELL CAN THEY BE ENFORCED IF THEY ARE A MYSTERY TO HISTORICIANS??!
making the game less interesting since then it's just a bare-bones drag pieces around a board engine.
Which is exactly what it SHOULD be. You play the game, you make your own rules and your own winning condition.

The ruleset in the first post is one of many.
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:44 pm

Okay, whatever. Sorry. It wasn't exactly apparent that Blast!10 had intended the game to be played in any way possible.
dlcs18
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:48 pm

dlcs18 wrote:Okay, whatever. Sorry. It wasn't exactly apparent that Blast!10 had intended the game to be played in any way possible.
I didn't. I just had no idea how to program the checkwhetheramoveislegal mechanism, so I just left it at that, and you know the rest.

@Muzozavr; I think you were a little harsh there. No biggie, though.

Off-topic: Find the name of a volcano in the word "checkwhetheramoveislegal". :P
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:55 pm

1. I wasn't being harsh at all, or at least I didn't want to be. I simply posted the same thing several times, but the discussion just goes along as if these posts weren't even there. So I decided to make the font size huge. Shouting isn't necessarily harsh, it's just a way to get noticed.

2. The designer's intentions don't matter. The finished product does. End of. Making the game playable in any way possible like this is in this case a very good idea even if it's just a happy accident. Pulling rules out of nowhere would be just plain wrong.

3. About the volcano: no idea.
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:31 pm

:roll:

Muzo... this is all your opinion. There's no arguing the fact that Blast's game is unfinished. If you want customisable, just do what billy bob did.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:26 pm

There's no arguing the fact that Blast's game is unfinished.
And it shouldn't be, because, if my sources are to be trusted, you can't finish it without trying to "invent" bits and pieces of history.

I'm not trying to flame anyone, BTW. It's just the way it is.
If you want customizable, just do what billy bob did.
Blast's game is good when you're sitting in front of a computer and are just goddamn lazy. :P :lol:
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:32 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
There's no arguing the fact that Blast's game is unfinished.
And it shouldn't be
This. Is. Your. Opinion.
If you want customizable, just do what billy bob did.
Blast's game is good when you're sitting in front of a computer and are just goddamn lazy. :P :lol:
Well that's your problem. You should get off the computer. :P

Now, notice "should" and "shouldn't". Should = opinion. It should anyway... :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:49 pm

Well that's your problem. You should get off the computer. :P
I should, but I won't. Because I'm listening to Deathstars. And because the earphones on my MP3 player give me a headache when trying to listen to metal, and the headphones on my computer do not.
This. Is. Your. Opinion.
The game should either be renamed (and is no longer claimed to be the exact Terni Lapilli game) or stay "unfinished". Anything else is just wrong.
(Once again, I do not want to flame anyone)