Possibly my final rant, and also maybe the most important...

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:24 pm

Only one line is allowed if you have an avatar, which is what I was getting at.

I'm not saying that I think that rule is right, or needed, just that it is a rule which many of the members choose to ignore for some reason better known to themselves.
Pauline
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:30 pm

It's a convienence issue, mostly. I changed my signature again, but I don't think it looks very good crammed onto one line. :|
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:20 pm

Don't put so much in it then. No-one needs to know that last time you checked you had 21 internets (whatever they are). :roll:
Pauline
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:55 pm

I have:
1. An avatar that consists of a single smiley. Doesn't take a longer time to load than any other smiley.
2. An internetometer link in the signature. Can be removed.
3. A link to this thread. Must stay.
4. The "RIP Kym" line. Must stay.
5. Linebreaks in the sig can be removed to make it three lines instead of five.

If you want to enforce the rule strictly, I'll remove my avatar. :(
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:26 pm

Emerald141 wrote:
popo wrote:Whether you think a rule is immaterial or not shouldn't matter. If it's a rule it should be followed shouldn't it. You can't just pick and choose which rules to follow and which to ignore.
Which is exactly why I took the images out of my signature. I do not think the rule serves a purpose anymore, but it is still a rule (albiet one I was unaware of for a long time.)

As for the other point; I agree, a filter may be a good idea. It would keep the english speakers at least from swearing, and it might cause a laugh. I remember going through the posts of one 'elmopalooza,' who got perma-banned for extreme use of bad words. A filter would have helped there.

On the other hand, the filter might not recognise the words of those who do not speak English correctly. We can't counter that by adding an 'accepted word dictionary,' like several MMORPGs do, 'cuz then how would you type words like 'WA:QT'?
Chomper Discussion Topic (Designer's needed!) *shot*
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:11 pm

popo wrote:Only one line is allowed if you have an avatar, which is what I was getting at.

I'm not saying that I think that rule is right, or needed, just that it is a rule which many of the members choose to ignore for some reason better known to themselves.
But MS doesn't do anything to stop those rules from being broken, and does it really matter if they're broken a little? What could really happen?

About the filter: That wouldn't work. It's too easy to get around them if you actually want to swear.
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:13 pm

Even though the rules are vital to the way the forum works, there should at least be a little leeway for them.

I know, I've been complaining about the present state of the forum as well, except what's happening right now doesn't really count as in the vicinity of a little leeway. Some of the rules are being blatantly broken every day - Kacpero just got banned for requesting an illegal copy of Return to Wonderland and Wonderland Secret Worlds.

Popo, what you said about avatar and signatures is true, and I know myself that I'm guilty of it. Personally, I don't think the rule is necessary, but Patrick can be the judge of that.

The way I see it, this forum needs either some moderators or it needs to have a complete redesign. If that means moving over to another software and starting over from scratch, I'm fine with that. However, as it stands now, there are numerous issues that should be addressed.

Personally, I still think that a Trial Membership phase would work well - it would help judge the kind of content a user would post, and, if necessary, they wouldn't be able to post after they used all the posts in the Trial Membership.

In the long run, I don't see any reason not to have something like that, other than the fact that it could take a while for someone to get Full Membership, but once again, if there were moderators, this wouldn't be an issue.
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:33 am

Time to remove Avatars.
:roll: :? :wink:
:D
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:31 am

Removed the avatar too. It was just a smiley anyway.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:49 am

Qloof234 wrote:Popo, what you said about avatar and signatures is true, and I know myself that I'm guilty of it. Personally, I don't think the rule is necessary, but Patrick can be the judge of that.
I don't think it's really necessary either, I was just using that particular rule as an example of how you just can't pick and choose which rules to follow. It did seem to sink in with you though, didn't it? :wink:

Avatars weren't allowed in the beginning. I think it was me who asked Patrick if we could have avatars enabled. Then a couple of us made some Wonderland related avatars. Then Shorty (rest her soul) started making signature animations for members, and that's when the avatar or signature rule was made.

This forum has been through a lot of turmoil in the past. Newer members know nothing of this. We've had a moderator, and for some reason it didn't work out well. Patrick has always trusted us to behave ourselves properly, and for the most part it's worked well.

I don't really know what gone off this time, I don't come on here very often these days, and when I do I usually steer clear of the Off Topic area. But for some reason this time I had a look and noticed this thread, and, being the nosey person I am, had to 'contribute'. :)
Pauline
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:51 pm

2 things:

1. Remove avatars.
2. Change signatures to:

Code: Select all

[url=http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20015&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0][img]http://yuvsstuff.net/CH-sof.png[/img][/url]
COPY THE CODE.
Last edited by Sammy_Bro on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
:D
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:12 pm

popo wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:Popo, what you said about avatar and signatures is true, and I know myself that I'm guilty of it. Personally, I don't think the rule is necessary, but Patrick can be the judge of that.
I don't think it's really necessary either, I was just using that particular rule as an example of how you just can't pick and choose which rules to follow. It did seem to sink in with you though, didn't it? :wink:
Heh... Yeah, it did, because I'd completely forgotten that rule a while ago. :oops:
popo wrote:This forum has been through a lot of turmoil in the past. Newer members know nothing of this. We've had a moderator, and for some reason it didn't work out well. Patrick has always trusted us to behave ourselves properly, and for the most part it's worked well.
Oh, so there was at least one moderator in the past? Hmmm.
popo wrote:I don't really know what gone off this time, I don't come on here very often these days, and when I do I usually steer clear of the Off Topic area. But for some reason this time I had a look and noticed this thread, and, being the nosey person I am, had to 'contribute'. :)
I don't consider that nosey, seeing as this topic is getting a lot of attention either way. :wink:
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:27 pm

I PM'ed MS about this topic in the last page, and he still hasn't replyed.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:29 pm

popo wrote:This forum has been through a lot of turmoil in the past. Newer members know nothing of this. We've had a moderator, and for some reason it didn't work out well. Patrick has always trusted us to behave ourselves properly, and for the most part it's worked well.
Well, if we ever do need a moderator again, maybe there could be a poll on who should be the moderator(s) for the xxxx forum.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:11 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:
Well, if we ever do need a moderator again, maybe there could be a poll on who should be the moderator(s) for the xxxx forum.
Most forums out there choose forum moderators by their own. No user input.

Let's trust our beloved Patrick at this point :wink:
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
2yu556
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Possibly my final rant, and also maybe the most importan

Post by 2yu556 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:17 pm

~xpr'd~ wrote: So far the Off-topic forum is the most popular.
Probably because Off-topic is the largest field of discussion.
Think about it. Wonderland is just one subject. Off-topic is any and every subject that Isn't about Wonderland. Logically It would be larger, just because of the ammount of things one has to discuss there.
tails the fox
Rainbow Master

Post by tails the fox » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Whoa i havent checked this topic katky but it looks like some things are going on :?
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:44 am

Sorry for the late response.

I don't really have anything to add, however. I don't think the forum is in "need of saving". There isn't much regular Wonderland talk (apart from new RTW levels) which makes sense given that there's no new game out or even on the horizon. Which leaves a lot of Off-Topic and "social" chatter.

Yes, the quality of discussion has certainly decreased over the years, and many of the original members are no longer part of the forum. I know I have not been very good at managing the off-topic/social part of the forum. Truth is, I never had a clear vision of what is was supposed to be, or if it even should be part of the forum. It was a natural extension of the discussion at the beginning, but for many people (esp. younger members) now posting, the off-topic/social part has become the main reason to post on the forum.

Quite honestly, my own focus is on the future of the actual Wonderland games (which is still not clear at this point). The forum always suffers when there are no games to discuss, and this being the longest time between releases really shows in the discussion on the boards. If/when a new game nears release, that will change the nature of the discussion again.

As long as the forum is primarily a Wonderland board, it will ebb and flow with new releases. If it is to become something different, there needs to be a clearer image of what that "something" is going to be, before we can talk about moderation/etc. Right now, I'm not at that point.

(About Avatars: the point of the original rule was to not have excessive signatures with big images. It can be revisited, if needed).
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:17 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:but for many people (esp. younger members) now posting, the off-topic/social part has become the main reason to post on the forum.
True. The reason I post in the Off-Topic so much is to pass time until the next Wonderland title (for I don't have much else I'm allowed to do on the computer). Like you said, I would revert back to the General/Solutions/Custom Level forums once the next game is released as they are better things to talk about here rather than in the Off-Topic Forum. :wink:
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:50 am

True. When on a forum about Wonderland/Other, when there is no news, the forum temporarily becomes a forum about Other.
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:20 pm

I agree 100%. This topic should now be abandoned. Bye signature image link. :lol: :D
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:12 am

I also agree.

If there IS a forum that needs saving, I would say it's the Wonderforum. There hasn't been a single post there in ages.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:22 am

Bumping a topic that was left 9 days ago, but whatever.

I don't think I'm the only one here who would very definitely rather have more serious discussion instead of the kind of stuff that pops up here sometime constantly - Perhaps would it be possible for another external forum meant for more serious discussion that has a Trial Membership system?

That way, users who were looking for more serious discussions can have them, while the Off-Topic style discussion can continue here.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:44 am

I guess my question would be, what kind of things would you consider of interest to discuss?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:48 am

Uhh... I speak for myself in saying that I personally think that all the topics on this forum are things that I'd be looking for in a forum geared towards more serious discussion, including forums on other topic (Sonic Retro has an area for hacking knowledge, general game discussion, and other stuff, for example), but I'm not sure what kind of things other people would be looking for.
ben-09
Rainbow Master

Post by ben-09 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:07 am

yeah, I'd prefer more serious discussion rather than some members(no names) posts. :)
Generation 59: Community experiment. The first time you see this, take the generation # and add 1. Put in your signature.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:02 am

Qloof234 wrote:Uhh... I speak for myself in saying that I personally think that all the topics on this forum are things that I'd be looking for in a forum geared towards more serious discussion, including forums on other topic (Sonic Retro has an area for hacking knowledge, general game discussion, and other stuff, for example), but I'm not sure what kind of things other people would be looking for.
This mainly a Wonderland-related discussion forum, so I don't think there is a need to open another subforum just for that topic.

PS If one topic is starting to get big and cannot be moderated inside a topic on WF, I would consider giving it a subforum.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:37 pm

I usually find serious discussion more interesting. I just do Wefight to pass time while I work on other stuff.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:52 am

Qloof234 wrote:Uhh... I speak for myself in saying that I personally think that all the topics on this forum are things that I'd be looking for in a forum geared towards more serious discussion, including forums on other topic (Sonic Retro has an area for hacking knowledge, general game discussion, and other stuff, for example), but I'm not sure what kind of things other people would be looking for.
I'm not sure if you would find a lot of people wanting to talk about this on this particular forum. But, stuff like that is what the Off-Topic can be about, too. Why not start a thread on one topic and see if people go with it? But I couldn't see making sub-forums for such topics - imagine how many subforums we would need to accomodate the various non-Wonderland-related topics that people might be interested in.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:23 pm

*still lost in past posts*

Wonderland-pretty much nonsense [171 172 173]

"What controversy this has caused!"