Higurashi (Umineko) no Naku Koro ni (Kai) (not PG?)

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Higurashi (Umineko) no Naku Koro ni (Kai) (not PG?)

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Mon May 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (ひぐらしのなく頃に) (don't ask why na is red, i dunno) (Literally "When the Cicadas Cry") was originally a video game, but later on was turned into a Japanese anime drama. Two sets of drama CDs were produced, one by Wayuta and the other by Frontier Works.

It's known to be scary (especially arc 5 [i'mma go cry under my bed nao kthxbai {lol not really}]). If I recall correctly, a few episodes have some language in them, but overall it's fine.

More details here.

also Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
Last edited by ~xpr'd~ on Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:33 pm

I just finished watching Arc 2, and.... Arc 5's supposed to be worse than that? :shock:

I have no idea how anything could be worse than the end of Arc 2, but I guess I'll find out. :shock:
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Mon May 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Yeah it keeps getting worse until the last arc. xD

Currently cutting and pasting our long discussion from the other topic into a text document. I will post it all here in a minute.
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Currently making synth music as treehann
I make 2d games too at: treehann.itch.io
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Mon May 24, 2010 8:50 pm

Muzozavr:

Why did I remember this all of a sudden? Well, I have started watching this (first season) and after the second arc has ended with episode 8... I have no words for what I just saw.

Thankfully, the clip in this video does not contain the terrifying bits. It's almost relaxing after the final episodes of an arc...

And to Boppelist:
Quote:
The anime was quite scary, but awesome ^^

NO KIDDING :shock:

Blink:

Huh. How do you remember all these names?

Muzozavr:

You mean the "Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni" anime name? It's the name of the series I'm currently watching and horrified of and you expect me to forget it??! :lol: :lol: AFTER SEEING EPISODE 8?!!??! No way I'm gonna forget that... No way... :shock:

*shivers in terror*

Though it's possible I just have a good memory. After all, I did manage to memorize a song in a language I don't understand. (once, it was the short version of NGE opening)

Blink:

I have a very bad time memorizing Japanese names, plus I don't watch anime.

Muzozavr:

Quote:
I have a very bad time memorizing Japanese names

Even if it's something that strikes f e a r in your heart? You must have a very bad time memorizing Japanese names.

Quote:
plus I don't watch anime.

Why? :?

Blink:

I dunno. I just don't like anime.

<cut music discussion>

Muzozavr:

And yes, this is just a thinly veiled excuse to post my reaction about episode 11 of Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni: oh god. That's all I can say without spoilers or profanities.

TheoX:

I love listening to the Higurashi OP's! Both Kai and Rei (to shorten them) have excellent opening songs.

Muzozavr wrote:
And yes, this is just a thinly veiled excuse to post my reaction about episode 11 of Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni: oh god. That's all I can say without spoilers or profanities.

I think episode 21 is much more horrifying. :shock:
Higurashi is my favorite anime series, i've seen the whole thing twice now. :P

Muzozavr:

Kai's opening is good, but original and Rei opening songs are the best.

And ep 11... the third arc is not the scariest so far, but it's the hardest to watch. That character (let's not spoil the name) starts with a crime that is indeed a disproportionate retribution but at least it (arguably) makes sense... but then it just keeps getting worse. I have yet to watch ep 12 in it's entirety, only seen the beginning and couldn't take it yet. :lol:

I think once I get past the third arc I'll be able to speed up.

Oh and ep 21... people on a different forum already said that ep 21 is something but they didn't spoil so it's all good.

TheoX:

I really think all three openings are excellent. The first one for a different reason: it's just awesomely dramatic and creepy, and completely blew me away when I first watched it. The second and third have grown on me; I like them because they are just.. really good J-Pop. But I agree, Rei's is better.

Also, since you haven't finished the first season just yet, I'll only say this: you haven't seen anything yet. :lol: Episode 21 has one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen in anime. :shock:

Muzozavr:

TheoX wrote:
Also, since you haven't finished the first season just yet, I'll only say this: you haven't seen anything yet. :lol: Episode 21 has one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen in anime. :shock:

If that's true and it gets worse than ep 11... this is my reaction to your post: Image

EDIT: Ep 12 made it less painful to watch (because he admits it) and then everything just got turned on it's head in ep 13.

Wow. :shock:

EDIT 2: You were right. Episode 17 showed me that the real stuff has only started. That's gotta be painful as hell. I wish I wouldn't use the PSYDUCK smilie earlier, because it's just too damn fitting.

Oh well, allow me to repeat myself anyway: Image

Qloof234:

Muzozavr wrote: Image

*runs*

Muzozavr:

Quote:
*runs*

Yeah, watching Higurashi will make you want to do that. Several times. And I only finished the fourth arc now. (episode 15)

EDIT: Ep 17, oh god.

TheoX:

Seen ep21 yet? :lol:

Muzozavr:

Episode 21... not yet. Due to not having enough time I had to take a temporary break after episode 18.

Episode 17 screwed me up for days afterwards. Even the music alone (the "Oshin" track) is enough to make me hide my hands behind my back.

And judging by your question, episode 21 is supposed to be a nightmare worse than episode 17. How the hell are they gonna top that??!

Muzozavr:

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni episode 19: that... was scary. The very air around me felt colder than it really was. Shion has snapped and snapped hard. And since in the second arc Rika and Satoko disappeared... I don't know how did they get caught in this, but I'm cringing for the inevitable conclusion.

Muzozavr:

Episode 20... wow. This... this is just brutal, you know.

According to TheoX, I'm now one episode away from some kind of an ultimate nightmare in this whole thing... what in the world can be even scarier??! :shock: :lol:

Muzozavr:

Quote:
EDIT: Seen ep21 yet? :lol:

After the ending of episode 20, I was expecting a similar event, but... not like that. Not like that. Not like that.

This can be summed up in two words: "disproportionate retribution against the wrong character"wait what do you MEAN "that's more than two words"?! Here are two words for you: "HOLY SH*BEEP*"

That's all I can say. I... wow. Words fail me.

I sincerely hope the next arc is less terrifying.

After I wrote this post for the first time (before the edit) I went to my room, turned on the light, sat in my bed, covered myself with a blanket and curled up in a ball. This is my first time I've done that watching any fictional something ever. And even now I still don't feel completely safe.

TheoX:

Have you summoned up the courage to watch the next episode? Just wait until it's the "right" character instead of the "wrong" character. Literally, ep21 scarred me for life the first time I watched it. Muahahaha. Don't worry though, this is the climax of the first season, it doesn't get any worse.

Muzozavr wrote:
I'm so badly shaken that it calms me down instead. No joke.

After I wrote this post for the first time (before the edit) I went to my room, turned on the light, sat in my bed, covered myself with a blanket and curled up in a ball. This is my first time I've done that watching any fictional something ever. And even now I still don't feel completely safe.

This is why I love Higurashi, no other anime has come close to unsettling me so much. I love horror and Higurashi is the best of the genre.

Also, a side node: You'll probably like season 2 (Kai) a lot if you become weary of the gore. It has less disturbing deaths and more suspense, and wraps up the series really nicely.

Qloof234:

Muzozavr wrote:
Quote:
EDIT: Seen ep21 yet? :lol:

After the ending of episode 20, I was expecting a similar event, but... not like that. Not like that. Not like that.

This can be summed up in two words: "disproportionate retribution against the wrong character"wait what do you MEAN "that's more than two words"?! Here are two words for you: "HOLY SH*BEEP*"

I sincerely hope the next arc is less terrifying.

TheoX wrote:
This is why I love Higurashi, no other anime has come close to unsettling me so much. I love horror and Higurashi is the best of the genre.

Okay, you guys have my attention. I need something scary to watch, so is there somewhere I could check out this Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni? :P

TheoX:

PM'ed a link. :)

Muzozavr:

Qloof234 wrote:
Okay, you guys have my attention. I need something scary to watch, so is there somewhere I could check out this Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni? :P

Ahahaha... good luck. It's damn scary. If you can watch this without taking breaks between episodes in arc five, you're better at watching scary stuff than I am.

Qloof234:

TheoX wrote:
PM'ed a link. :)

Thanks. :)
Muzozavr wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:

Ahahaha... good luck. It's damn scary. If you can watch this without taking breaks between episodes in arc five, you're better at watching scary stuff than I am.

Now I'm definitely intrigued... :shock:

I don't think I'd ever be watching several episodes in direct continuation, but... we'll see. :wink: :lol:

Muzozavr:

Oh, some of the arcs are pretty watchable in direct continuation, actually. It's mostly arc 5 that's pretty much fear in anime form. There's no way I'm gonna rewatch that arc in direct continuation, even on a bet. I just can't do it.

Muzozavr:

OK, so I'm watching arc 6 now -- if it's going to be as awesome as episode 23 it's gonna be AWESOME, even if it isn't as scary as arc 5.

Qloof234:

I just finished Episode 1 to 5 (Arc 1?), and I've gotta say - I'm kind of chilled now, and it takes a lot to scare me. :shock:

I think I'll go cower under the blanket on my bed until morning.

I'm also :? as to how Arc 1 and 2 transition into each other, but I'm guessing that will be explained later.

Muzozavr:

1 to 4 -- arc 1
5 to 8 -- arc 2
9 to 13 -- arc 3
14 to 15 -- arc 4 (shortest one)
16 to 21 -- arc 5 (longest and BY FAR the scariest... unless the last three episodes are going to be even MORE nightmarish... but TheoX promised they won't)
22 to 26 -- arc 6

I'm a bit :? about the arcs too, but don't worry, it's still awesome.

Quote:
and I've gotta say - I'm kind of chilled now

Quote:

Ahahahaha, make sure you post your reactions to arc 5. Can't wait to know your thoughts about ep 17 and ep 21... especially ep 21. Twisted Evil :P :lol:

I've still got three episodes to finish and then I'm gonna watch the second season.

TheoX:

Qloof234 wrote:
I just finished Episode 1 to 5 (Arc 1?), and I've gotta say - I'm kind of chilled now, and it takes a lot to scare me. :shock:

Heheh, told ya! I presume you got what you were looking for, horror-wise? :lol:

Qloof234 wrote:

I'm also :? as to how Arc 1 and 2 transition into each other, but I'm guessing that will be explained later.

This part of Higurashi is kind of hard to explain. You can think of the different arcs as separate storylines in the first season, for the most part. There is only one character who has continuing knowledge of what's going on. The second season gives an explanation for why similar things keep happening over and over again, whereas the first season only hints at what's going on. The first season is primariily for setting up the characters, showing their emotional backgrounds, and giving some good scares.

Muzozavr wrote:
OK, so I'm watching arc 6 now -- if it's going to be as awesome as episode 23 it's gonna be AWESOME, even if it isn't as scary as arc 5.

Yeah I really love episode 23. Very Happy I'd say the awesomeness tones down in place of suspense/conspiracy, then ups again in episode 26, which is a nice finale to season 1, still leaving a few things hanging (which season 2 greatly expands upon).

Should we make a separate topic for this? We keep talking about it a lot, so if you guys (Muzo and Qloof) agree, I'll copy & paste our discussion over to a new topic. :lol:

~xpr'd~:

Arc 5 Opinion:

I'm going to go cry under my bed kthxbai (lol not rly)

I thought Arc 1 was scary until I saw this.

Muzozavr:

~xpr'd~ wrote:
Arc 5 Opinion:

I'm going to go cry under my bed kthxbai (lol not rly)

I thought Arc 1 was scary until I saw this.

So very yes. So very much yes. I agree with you...
I mean, arc 1 was pretty chilling, yes, but arc 5 was the arc that made me wait days between episodes. :? :shock: :o
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:59 pm

I'm halfway through Arc 3 now, and... This series is definitely good at scaring me. :shock:
TheoX wrote:Heheh, told ya! I presume you got what you were looking for, horror-wise? :lol:
Oh yeah, definitely! :lol:

EDIT:
Muzozavr (in music topic) wrote:
I don't think the translation is accurate, though - The line "I can't go back anymore" is at the end of the song, not the middle, and the singer here says "when the cicadas cry" in her lyrics, whereas the original doesn't even contain the name of the anime.
OF COURSE it isn't completely "accurate"! Literal translations of songs are often impossible and when possible, they turn out clunky in 99% of cases.
It isn't a case about translation so much as timing. Saying short sentences in English can be much longer in Japanese, and vice versa.

I've tried interpreting the original song's lyrics in English, but I'm not sure if they time up properly or not. Highlight to read, I thought it was necessary.
When I turned around - who did I see?
You sank your claws into the darkness, shredding the night.
The raindrops turn into drops of blood, and run down my cheek.
When there's no place that you can return to anymore...

Take this hand, this hand of mine. I'll take you with me.
In the forest where the cicadas cry,
I can't turn back anymore.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue May 25, 2010 4:36 am

Qloof234 wrote:I just finished watching Arc 2, and.... Arc 5's supposed to be worse than that? :shock:

I have no idea how anything could be worse than the end of Arc 2, but I guess I'll find out. :shock:
Trust me, you'll so find out. :twisted: :lol:

Your English lyrics are better than most literal translations I've seen, but they still don't line up, they're too short. :(
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue May 25, 2010 11:26 am

Episode 24 finished, to all of those who think they're home, safe and dry after arc 5, you're not!! Sure, arc 6 is not AS terrifying as arc 5, but it's pretty damn scary on it's own. Also, so far... plot-wise it's just the freaking coolest arc in the season.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:37 pm

I just finished Arc 3, and about to start Arc 4. This definitely has me intrigued, to put it mildly. :shock: :twisted: :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue May 25, 2010 9:42 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I just finished Arc 3, and about to start Arc 4. This definitely has me intrigued, to put it mildly. :shock: :twisted: :lol:
Arc 4 is short (only two episodes) which means... arc 5 is going to destroy the remains of your sanity really soon. :twisted: :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:45 pm

I'm starting Episode 16 right now... I am sooooo screwed. :shock: :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I'm starting Episode 16 right now... I am sooooo screwed. :shock: :lol:
Bwa-ha, you're indeed screwed.

Dammit, I need to get up to speed with the last two episodes, at this speed you'll finish faster than me and I can't have that. :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:58 pm

All I have to say about episode 17.
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 am

Haha the psyduck is back. And what's with all the red text? :lol: Does the placement have a meaning? Come to think of it, do any of you know what the meaning of it in the actual title is? I presume red can be compared to blood, but I dunno about the placement of the red.

You two, let me know what your opinions are when you both finish season 1! I want to know what your favorite arcs are... personally I like the last one for awesomeness, the first one for creepiness, and the fifth one for mind-screwery. And yes Qloof you are screwed... so to speak. xD
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed May 26, 2010 7:55 am

This thread has marked... the return of the psyduck! :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:00 am

Muzozavr wrote:This thread has marked... the return of the psyduck! :lol:
Oh, God, I laughed so hard. :lol:

I got about halfway through episode 18 (I'm supposed to be asleep right now, see), so I'll finish that tomorrow and see how long it takes before I start losing it.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed May 26, 2010 9:03 am

Watched ep 25 right now (we're in different timezones with Qloof apparently)

Oh my god, this was awesome. First they do the whole "camera cut" thing in such a way so that you STILL have no idea what is he talking about... and then the flashback. And then what he says to Rika. And then...

Damn, arc 6 seems to be the AWESOMEST arc all the way through.

Episode 26 still remains.
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Wed May 26, 2010 3:53 pm

OFF-TOPIC:

Higurashi no, oh, Ihsarugih?

BACK ON TOPIC.
:D
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed May 26, 2010 5:07 pm

Just seen episode 26, finally finishing the first season! :D
This was totally awesome.

A certain character has made a comment that made me go "what?!" at the very end. So... is she the one who remembers everything? Apparently yes, especially taking episode 25 into consideration.

I still have no idea "how" or "why", especially considering a certain event in episode 25... looking back at it, that event makes me question how is Takano-san related to all of this...

The way Keiichi reminds Rena of a certain "past event" is insanely awesome, he is a genius for coming up with that on the spot. I won't spoil what happens, but for me it's the moment that DEFINED the whole thing for me. The whole ending was awesome, actually.

In conclusion: I'll definitely try to find the second season (with the Russian fansubs from the same people as the ones I've found for the first season, the spelling/grammar is at times a bit off, but the translation seems very solid) but I do hope it's a bit less terrifying. :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu May 27, 2010 10:50 pm

Hello? :?

TheoX?

Qloof234? :? :? :?

... it's so lonely here ...

_w_a_i_t_

whatisthatnoise

?

??

???

*tap*
**tap**
***tap***
****tap****
*****tap*****

WHERE ARE YOU WHERE ARE YOU WHERE ARE YOU!!!

I know you're in here somewhere! STOP DOING THIS DAMMIT! I've just finished the first season, STOP SCARING ME WITH CONSTANT FOOTSTEPS FROM BEHIND!!! I don't know what causes the sound, because you're sure as hell not there, but come here, and TURN IT OFF.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, is anyone still here?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:45 am

I am, and I'm waiting for Portal to re-install (jdl and I managed to figure out how to get an online Portal server up), so I'm probably gonna finish Episode 18 today.

:P
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:37 am

DP.

Starting Episode 20 right now. Apart from Episode 17, Arc 5 hasn't freaked me out so much as surprised me. I'm probably going to regret saying that in 20 minutes, but still. :lol:

Oh my god, I just found out that Hinamizawa is an actual place in Japan. Somewhat. Its real name is Shirakawa-go, but from what I've seen, it is exactly the same as Hinamizawa.

... I want to go on vacation there now Image

EDIT: Never mind what I said. Holy crap Episode 20 is scary. 21's supposed to be worse than that? :shock:
Last edited by Qloof234 on Fri May 28, 2010 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:43 am

I don't think I'll ever get the nerve to watch this. I'm a coward by nature, and this would probably kill me. :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:47 am

Just finished Episode 21.

I... Uhhh...

No words. No words.

My reaction to Episode 17 was: Image

My reaction to Episode 21?

I... Just...

Holy crap.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:57 am

DP again.

I think I've unraveled how the story arcs line up. As ~xpr'd~ said, it was originally a game. Said game had alternate plots, released in "Question" chapters, and, later on, "Solution" chapters. Each arc in Higurashi is either a Question chapter or a Solution chapter (save Arc 1, which never had a Solution chapter, instead serving as the game's introduction to the world of Hinamizawa).

Not sure about Season 2 though. :lol:
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Fri May 28, 2010 4:44 am

Muzozavr wrote:Hello? :?

TheoX?
Err.. I was sure this didn't have the "new posts" symbol next to it! >_<
Emerald141 wrote:I don't think I'll ever get the nerve to watch this. I'm a coward by nature, and this would probably kill me. :lol:
You have good reason not to watch Higurashi if you're queasy. It's not for the faint of stomach!

Qloof234 - nice reaction to episode 21. :lol:
I think you're right about the question and solution thing, though I don't really think the first 5 arcs in season 1 seem very "solved". :shock:

But season 2... that changes everything!
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri May 28, 2010 5:13 am

Well, from what I can see, some of them are partially solved, and they're all inextricably linked (Spoilers, so highlight to read):
Arc 5 is the direct solution to Arc 2 - I assume that Shion was affected by the same parasite as Rena in Arc 6, thus lost hers sanity and did all of her actions under the guise of Mion. Arc 4, Arc 3, and Arc 6 all seem to be linked as well; The Great Hinamizawa Disaster was volcanic gas, which is referenced in Arc 4, and could be a result of Rena's actions in Arc 6. Rika also references what's going to happen to her in Arc 4, when it does occur in Arc 3. Arc 6 is the "solution" to Arc 1, and it reveals that all these separate Arcs that have conflicting events are, in fact, parallel dimensions, as revealed by Rika - the reincarnation of the Shrine God.
So, uh, yeah, I finished Season 1.

I thought Episode 21 was going to be really bad. Episode 23 (I think that was it) was much worse in my opinion. :shock:

Also, to confirm, is Season 2 actually called "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai"?

EDIT: Did my research - turns out Kai is a sequel to the original series.

In which case I can't find Season 2 of Higurashi itself. :(

EDIT2:
TheoX wrote:The first season is primarily for setting up the characters, showing their emotional backgrounds, and giving some good scares.
Hang on - Do you mean Season 1, or Arc 1? I'm completely unable to find any trace of a second Season, except for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai. :?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:44 am

ANOTHER DP.

Relevant:

(big image is big)

Shirakawa-go, Hinamizawa, whatever you want to call it, either way... It's beautiful.

Any of you guys actually willing to go check it out? I know I am.

No, really Image

I'm bored right now, hence why I keep double-posting here. I think I'll go watch Season 1 of Higurashi over again to see if I can figure out more of it.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri May 28, 2010 7:14 am

Kai IS the second season, according to all the reviews.

And DAMMIT where did you find that giant psyduck? I've seen it before and wanted to use it myself, but couldn't find it.
I'm bored right now, hence why I keep double-posting here. I think I'll go watch Season 1 of Higurashi over again to see if I can figure out more of it.
IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU'VE FINISHED IT??! HOW CRAZY ARE YOU??! :lol: Seriously, I'd rewatch it... maybe... but not before taking a good, long break.

And Shirakawa-go is indeed the closest there is to a real-life Hinamizawa. Thankfully it's just a normal village, without anything insane happening. :lol: Sometimes cosplayers go there.

Imagine BEING there and watching Higurashi! :lol: I'd probably die from fear, LOL.
reincarnation of the Shrine God
I don't think she herself is the reincarnation. If you remember arc 5, when Shion asks her if she can talk to Oyashiro-sama directly, she says "yes". I think she's just much closer to the Shrine God than anyone else.

EDIT:
Wait...
(jdl and I managed to figure out how to get an online Portal server up)
WHAT??! :shock: OK, that's epic. 8)
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Muzozavr wrote:Kai IS the second season, according to all the reviews.

And DAMMIT where did you find that giant psyduck? I've seen it before and wanted to use it myself, but couldn't find it.
IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU'VE FINISHED IT??! HOW CRAZY ARE YOU??! :lol: Seriously, I'd rewatch it... maybe... but not before taking a good, long break.
Honestly? Apart from Arc 6, Arc 2, and everyone's maniacal laughter, I find it a lot more violent than scary. :P Going to go watch Season 2 now.

As for the giant psyduck, I got it just from Google Images. :lol:
Muzozavr wrote:And Shirakawa-go is indeed the closest there is to a real-life Hinamizawa. Thankfully it's just a normal village, without anything insane happening. :lol: Sometimes cosplayers go there.

Imagine BEING there and watching Higurashi! :lol: I'd probably die from fear, LOL.
:lol: Yeah. It does look like a nice place to visit, so I'd look into it.

If I could get on top of my Japanese lessons enough to speak it, I'd definitely head there during the summer :)
Muzozavr wrote:
I don't think she herself is the reincarnation. If you remember arc 5, when Shion asks her if she can talk to Oyashiro-sama directly, she says "yes". I think she's just much closer to the Shrine God than anyone else.
Ah, yeah, forgot about that. Either way, Rika's one of the most unique characters on the show due to her omnipresent knowledge of what's going on.
Muzozavr wrote:EDIT:
Wait...
(jdl and I managed to figure out how to get an online Portal server up)
WHAT??! :shock: OK, that's epic. 8)
(lolofftopic) Long story short, the server capabilities are still in Portal, and you can get it set up, but using portals is unstable; While you can fling stuff through them and everyone has their own set of portals, due to how the Source Master Server calculates movement, getting close to a portal crashes the game (it attempts to branch to the code for moving through them, which doesn't exist on the master server).

Other than that, it's a lot of fun. :wink:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri May 28, 2010 8:54 pm

Qloof234 wrote: Honestly? Apart from Arc 6, Arc 2, and everyone's maniacal laughter, I find it a lot more violent than scary. :P you're the fifth person I've met on the net that says this, everyone else (including me) was terrified for most of the show, and arc 5 is widely held as the scariest one in the series. Going to go watch Season 2 now. YES!
Muzozavr wrote:And Shirakawa-go is indeed the closest there is to a real-life Hinamizawa. Thankfully it's just a normal village, without anything insane happening. :lol: Sometimes cosplayers go there.

:lol: Yeah. It does look like a nice place to visit, so I'd look into it.

If I could get on top of my Japanese lessons enough to speak it, I'd definitely head there during the summer :) try to walk there in the night with tracks like "Urugawa" and "Senkou" from the OST in your headphones...
Muzozavr wrote:
Ah, yeah, forgot about that. Either way, Rika's one of the most unique characters on the show due to her omnipresent knowledge of what's going on. yes.