Higurashi (Umineko) no Naku Koro ni (Kai) (not PG?)

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:31 am

Qloof234 wrote:As for the anime. Finally revised my opinion of episode 26 of Umineko... Oh. My. God. So epic.

The anime adaptation might be a poor adaptation of the original novel, but as its own show, it rivals even Higurashi as far as the "pure epic factor" goes.
I see that you agree with me on the show's epic factor! Did you also think that the ending of episode 18, where
Beatrice and Virgilia reveal that they had been working together the whole time and everything they had done earlier (including fighting each other and becoming sympathetic) was a hoax
was great? It totally caught me off guard, especially since I haven't read the VN's or anything.

Oh, and this was the result of my Umineko character quiz...
:lol:
Not a character I'm terribly excited about, I'm sure everything surrounding Ange made more sense in the VN's.
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Currently making synth music as treehann
I make 2d games too at: treehann.itch.io
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:21 am

TheoX wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:As for the anime. Finally revised my opinion of episode 26 of Umineko... Oh. My. God. So epic.

The anime adaptation might be a poor adaptation of the original novel, but as its own show, it rivals even Higurashi as far as the "pure epic factor" goes.
I see that you agree with me on the show's epic factor! Did you also think that the ending of episode 18, where
Beatrice and Virgilia reveal that they had been working together the whole time and everything they had done earlier (including fighting each other and becoming sympathetic) was a hoax
was great? It totally caught me off guard, especially since I haven't read the VN's or anything.
Oh god, yeah, that scene was awesome.
TheoX wrote:Oh, and this was the result of my Umineko character quiz...
:lol:
Not a character I'm terribly excited about, I'm sure everything surrounding Ange made more sense in the VN's.
From reading Ange's description here, I think I'm evenly split between Ange and Battler. I'm terrible with social stuff and prefer to keep to myself. [/quote]
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:22 am

Explains me perfectly.
she/her | Sayori#2285
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:28 am

~xpr'd~ wrote:Image

NO, BERNKASTEL IS NOT RIKA FURUDE
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:29 am

Qloof234 wrote:
~xpr'd~ wrote:Image
>:3
she/her | Sayori#2285
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:34 pm

When I first watched Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, I thought the woman at the VERY end was an older Rika. I have no idea why, since it was clearly in the past. I wasn't thinking straight I guess. :lol:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:08 pm

BUUUUUUUMP!!!

I am reading Watanagashi-hen now.

OH MY GOD you have to see the curry cooking battle scene. It's hilarious. :lol:

My thoughts in order during the scene:

"Keiichi is lazy."
"Satoko, you jerk!"
"Mion, you magnificent improvising chessmaster of epic proportions..."
"Kei-chan?! You magnificent improvising chessmaster of even BIGGER proportions..."
"Chie-sensei?! You curry maniac!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hilarious stuff, with lots and I mean LOTS of "what do you mean, that's not AWESOME?" kind of over-the-top humor. I love those comedy bits, SO much better than they were in the anime!
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:44 am

Ugh, I want to start reading Umineko now but I can't get it to install and AppLocale doesn't work either... help? :?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:23 am

Sorry, haven't tried installing Umineko yet...

Wait, you've finished the whole Higurashi VN, including Kai??! :shock:
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:21 am

Haha, not yet. I've gotten up to shortly after Shion and Keiichi's meeting in Watanagashi-hen now, but I might stay up reading more of it tonight (I'm going to be hiding under my bed later). :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:43 am

Qloof234 wrote:Haha, not yet. I've gotten up to shortly after Shion and Keiichi's meeting in Watanagashi-hen now, but I might stay up reading more of it tonight (I'm going to be hiding under my bed later). :lol:
The one in Angel Mort? :lol:
Have you seen the curry battle yet? It's epic, LOL.
Qloof234 wrote:(I'm going to be hiding under my bed later). :lol:
Shion.

She's under your bed.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:37 am

Muzozavr wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:Haha, not yet. I've gotten up to shortly after Shion and Keiichi's meeting in Watanagashi-hen now, but I might stay up reading more of it tonight (I'm going to be hiding under my bed later). :lol:
The one in Angel Mort? :lol:
Have you seen the curry battle yet? It's epic, LOL.
Actually, I'm just starting it now. This should be good... :lol:
Muzozavr wrote:
Shion.

She's under your bed.

(too lazy to find the emoticon version used on Retro right now)
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:55 am

Qloof234 wrote:
Muzozavr wrote:
Shion.

She's under your bed.

(too lazy to find the emoticon version used on Retro right now)
I bet you didn't expect my reply and were like "oh snap" when you read it. Ahahahahahahaha! :twisted: :lol:

And yes, the curry battle is epic. I'm not spoiling anything, just read it, it's awesome.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:59 am

OH MY GOD CHIE IS INSANE :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:01 am

Qloof234 wrote:OH MY GOD CHIE IS INSANE :lol:
Curry curry curry he he he... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:38 am

Okay, the scene where Mion, Shion, and Keiichi finally meet all at once is so much funnier here. :lol:

Also, I'm kind of unsettled by how much Keiichi and I agree on some stuff from the VN (like Shii-chan's existence, Oyashiro-sama's curse, etc.). Character quiz time!

Link

My result was... Uhh...

Now I'm kind of unsettled... Okay, REALLY unsettled - This is the second time I've gotten Keiichi as a character quiz answer, and... well, if I straighten out my hair... I look just like him. :shock:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:47 am

Qloof234 wrote:Okay, the scene where Mion, Shion, and Keiichi finally meet all at once is so much funnier here. :lol:

I'm not there yet, I'm just about to continue reading from where I left off.

Also, I'm kind of unsettled by how much Keiichi and I agree on some stuff from the VN (like Shii-chan's existence, Oyashiro-sama's curse, etc.). Character quiz time!

Link

My result was... Uhh...

Now I'm kind of unsettled... Okay, REALLY unsettled - This is the second time I've gotten Keiichi as a character quiz answer, and... well, if I straighten out my hair... I look just like him. :shock:

Is there a particular reason why do we get identical answers in both Umineko and Higurashi quizzes? I also got Keiichi, which is kinda weird... LOL.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:14 am

Haha, wow. I'm only disturbed by my result because I look almost exactly like him... Hell. My eyes are even the same bluish-purplish-grayish color he has in media. I was I was kidding but I'm not. :shock:

As for Umineko, I got a response to a comment I posted on a video about the anime's quality. This was the response I got:
As a stand-alone anime, Umineko is perfectly fine. It's just, when you compare it to the original VN, it's pathetically horrible. And yes, please do play the VN, it's incredible in every way. The first episode is a bit slow and boring, so bear through that, but once episode 2 starts the awesomeness starts picking up speed.
... Which is pretty damn accurate. On its own, Umineko's just as amazing as Higurashi or even Higurashi Kai. It's just, when you compare it to its source... the time restraints Studio Deen was under forced them to make too many cuts to important story elements, along with the ending of Episode 26
after Battler uses his Blue Truths to "kill" Beatrice
- in the anime, it's much less powerful than the original. I've seen a fan rendition of it, and the original ending to Umineko4... It's brilliant.

Obviously it contains spoilers, but like the rest of When They Cry it is kind of violent. I'm not going to link to it here unless someone wants me to.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:29 am

DP

Getting to the part where Takano and Tomitake break into the utensils shrine... So far this is much awesomer than the anime.

Yes, spellcheck, I said "awesomer", deal with it.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:59 am

Qloof234 wrote:DP

Getting to the part where Takano and Tomitake break into the utensils shrine... So far this is much awesomer than the anime.
I believe you... I'm falling behind, though, didn't have that much time and had to quit smack-dab in the middle of Keiichi trying to imagine an innocent Satoko.

When Higurashi VN is not being scary, it's actually really funny, totally better than the anime.
Qloof234 wrote:Yes, spellcheck, I said "awesomer", deal with it.
Exactly! :lol:

EDIT: Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni visual novels. So awesome that one has to invent new word forms to express their feelings.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:56 pm

DP

Before I say anything else -- that TIP was damn satisfying... why did DEEN cut out TIPS? Seriously, Ooishi is even more awesome here than in the anime, something which I previously thought to be impossible. Look at the way he figures out the case of the stolen motorcycles!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:08 am

TP

Just reading this now, OH MY GOD Qloof, how did you not mention the "restaraunt revenge" scene?! This is hilarious!! They have gone overboard, yeah, but... oooooh my god this was some good stuff. :lol: :lol: :lol: "Rena is in her adorable mode, syncro rate 120%" :lol: :lol: :lol: "Once you leave, you cannot come back inside" :lol: :lol: :lol:

And look at how they just cannot resist injecting some artificial "awesome" in what they do, even though it's already awesome. The way the keep saying "Attention, Rena!" "Attention, Satoko!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: OMG I apparently didn't read the whole scene at first!! "10 missing men were found in the Hida mountains. They claim they walked from the Shishibone city looking for a restroom, but the city is miles away from the Hida mountains..." :lol: :lol: :lol:

I almost feel bad for those guys now. Almost, because this is just too hilarious, but still... Rika-chan, you can be a scary, scary girl... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:37 pm

OK... I have seen the "inside the shrine" part... daaaaaaaaaamn!! It was only mildly creepy in the anime, but here... wow. Those textual descriptions are long and drawn out, making the whole thing epically scary. Even ignoring the "plot twist" about Takano, just the way she tells it... and the sound effects... meeep. The creepiness just slowly fills the air, it's like at first it's not there... and slowly, slowly... I was biting my fingers near the end of that scene. And nothing is really happening... just the darker parts of the history of Hinamizawa...

Holy @!$%... Ryukishi07 -- master of fear.

I don't know yet, but I suspect that at the end of this arc I'll be like this:

On second thought, maybe I should have saved that one for Meakashi-hen... whatever, the picture is too good for me to not to share it with you.

EDIT: My only real complaint so far with this VN? The cricket noise is awful. It's much too loud and it's strange to hear it among the other sound effects, which are so well done. Maybe it's one of the Mangagamer sound effects that aren't fixed by the version 2 patch... Version 1 has huge stability issues instead...
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:15 pm

Alright, finished reading Watanagashi a few days ago. Multiply the last smiley's size by >9000 for my reaction at Keiichi's disjointed thoughts at the stabbing scene. OMG.

Unrelated, but hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW0XUISsiss&
Where the Akasaka vs Yamainu fight has new sound effects... FALCON PUNCH!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:15 am

Bump.

Good God, the Anime version of Higurashi is incredibly inaccurate. Just as bad as Umineko if not worse, apart from the character depictions. I haven't finished Watanagashi-hen, but I've read through all of Tatarigoroshi-hen and the first and last parts of Himatsubushi-hen and Onikakushi-hen, respectively, in manga format (which is nigh-on accurate to the VN).

It's even scarier now than before, mainly because I've realized just how much like Keiichi I really am. If I could find a vest like his then I'd even be able to dress like him, should probably look for one... :lol:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Qloof234 wrote:Bump.

Good God, the Anime version of Higurashi is incredibly inaccurate. Just as bad as Umineko if not worse, apart from the character depictions. I haven't finished Watanagashi-hen, but I've read through all of Tatarigoroshi-hen I barely started it, long VN is long, and school workload is quite big right now and the first and last parts of Himatsubushi-hen and Onikakushi-hen, why out of order? respectively, in manga format (which is nigh-on accurate to the VN).

The manga is fairly accurate, but even that leaves out the TIPS. Most of them are just background information, but a few of them were pretty damn character-establishing.

It's even scarier now than before, mainly because I've realized just how much like Keiichi I really am. If I could find a vest like his then I'd even be able to dress like him, should probably look for one... :lol:
Move to Shirakawa-go for an epic cosplay? :lol:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:16 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:Bump.

Good God, the Anime version of Higurashi is incredibly inaccurate. Just as bad as Umineko if not worse, apart from the character depictions. I haven't finished Watanagashi-hen, but I've read through all of Tatarigoroshi-hen I barely started it, long VN is long, and school workload is quite big right now and the first and last parts of Himatsubushi-hen and Onikakushi-hen, why out of order? respectively, in manga format (which is nigh-on accurate to the VN).
Mainly because I'm having trouble finding them in order. I saw two copies of Watanagashi part two at the bookstore, but didn't pick it up at the time.
Muzozavr wrote:The manga is fairly accurate, but even that leaves out the TIPS. Most of them are just background information, but a few of them were pretty damn character-establishing.
Qloof234 wrote:It's even scarier now than before, mainly because I've realized just how much like Keiichi I really am. If I could find a vest like his then I'd even be able to dress like him, should probably look for one... :lol:
Move to Shirakawa-go for an epic cosplay? :lol:
That'd be fun, but I'm bad with planes, so... Yeah... :lol:
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:26 pm

... :3
she/her | Sayori#2285
Technos72
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Technos72 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:46 pm

To tell you the truth... Anime girls ANNOY ME. mostly when I don't expect them to show up, especially with this anime.

so that means... uhh....

AAH. *shot*
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:28 pm

What do you mean you don't expect them to show up? Usually when watching an anime I expect humans of both genders to make an appearance. :wink:

Also, if you think all anime girls annoy you, then you haven't seen enough anime. That's like saying characters on live-action TV shows annoy you - they could be an obnoxious stereotype like those on the Disney channel, they could be a sardonic antihero like Dr. House, or they could be a lovable fool like Tina Fey in 30 Rock. There's so many different kinds of characters, and they all look and sound different. You'll have to be more specific.
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚